• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

We need an IRC channel. Really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The SSStylish one

Formerly DanteTheDevil
devil's lair have one so why not? It's free after all. I'd also like if we'd register it, just so no random person would become an operator. It's usually done via "/msg chanserv register #channel" where #channel is the name of the channel registered... Just if you don't know. That infact also requires nick registration, which can be done differently. Uh... Try "/msg nickserv help" for more info... Whatever. Why am i starting to write a manual?... I just wanted to say that we need a channel.

Poison Ivy

Wants Cookiez
I agree on that :)
We rly need some kind of a chat, not only "Bloody palace" section for off-topic and so ..

Keaton

Premium
This would probably be the idea that kills the activity in the forum.
Chats in forums tend to dominate everything and after a while, what becoems harmless chit-chat diverts from regular topics. People would rather ask Questions and Check the Chat more because of speed, whereas the forum would suffer dramatically.

You have Bloody Palace for Off-Topic and while I don't encourage random chatting there, it would be the place to ask an off-topic question.

Naturally there will be other members whom disagree, but in my opinion, this would be a death sentence.

The SSStylish one

Formerly DanteTheDevil
^ oh rly?... Many places have their chats and forum is alive too. Well i CAN create a channel myself :D just that me being the "owner" is somewhat strange.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Keaton;166377 said:
This would probably be the idea that kills the activity in the forum.
Chats in forums tend to dominate everything and after a while, what becoems harmless chit-chat diverts from regular topics. People would rather ask Questions and Check the Chat more because of speed, whereas the forum would suffer dramatically.

You have Bloody Palace for Off-Topic and while I don't encourage random chatting there, it would be the place to ask an off-topic question.

Naturally there will be other members whom disagree, but in my opinion, this would be a death sentence.

I agree, ive never seen the appeal of chat functions on forums. If people want to chat then they can use MSN or another instant messaging program. Forums arent random chit chat places and are for long discussions. Chat features can take activity away from the forums and we have tested this before.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Andy and Keaton have pretty much summed up my feelings too, an IRC channel would become the death of this forum, I've seen it happen with several forums I've been a part of, create a channel, and then the forum dies, everyone's chatting on IRC instead, besides, we have an option that allows you to insert your MSN/AIM/Yahoo/Skype addresses, so you'd be perfectly able to talk to other members via those IM services instead.

Keaton

Premium
If you want to talk to members in a group fashion, request their MSN and use the Group Chat function. To be honest, I don't see a IRC being introcuded to the forum anytime soon, and if its an off-topic convo you're after why not use Profile Messaging.

Vauxchen

The devoted
Premium
DanteTheDevil;166447 said:
That ain't a group chat :dry:

You could just set something up. Set up an xfire clan, teamspeak line or something. That could work as they are both good programs, and I miss them. :lol:

Poison Ivy

Wants Cookiez
DanteTheDevil;166512 said:
Well, as already said i CAN set up an IRC channel myself i just have no idea what for if noone will visit.

First create it and after that look who's joining :p

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Chat functions on forums are teh suck. I don't particularly care if some other site has them, good luck to them, but they are a drain on resources, reduce forum activity and make the place deader than a dead thing.

We have PM's, VM's, IM's...there are a hundred and one sites out there which offer chatrooms for group conversations that you can open separately from this place and chat whilst browsing/posting here.

I can categorically state now that DMC.org will NOT have a chat function of this nature (or any other similar application) installed in the forseeable future, if ever. And besides, IRC is soooooo old and easily hacked...to even begin to protect it for the safety of users and this site would take a truckload of add-ons and downloadable mods which is a massive waste of time, to be honest.

Black Angel

Semper Fidelis
Angel;166601 said:
Chat functions on forums are teh suck. I don't particularly care if some other site has them, good luck to them, but they are a drain on resources, reduce forum activity and make the place deader than a dead thing.

We have PM's, VM's, IM's...there are a hundred and one sites out there which offer chatrooms for group conversations that you can open separately from this place and chat whilst browsing/posting here.

I can categorically state now that DMC.org will NOT have a chat function of this nature (or any other similar application) installed in the forseeable future, if ever. And besides, IRC is soooooo old and easily hacked...to even begin to protect it for the safety of users and this site would take a truckload of add-ons and downloadable mods which is a massive waste of time, to be honest.

I agree with the staff on this one, a chat function would be a huge waste of time and resources.

I have tried it, not a good idea.

Damien

Anti - Little D
Premium
Angel;166601 said:

i agree , lets keep the forum a unique one from teh other dmc ones and other ones out there ....

Black Angel

Semper Fidelis
Wickse;166648 said:
i agree , lets keep the forum a unique one from teh other dmc ones and other ones out there ....

Thats right, we are representing DMC.org here and no one forget it.....:lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom