• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Was Dante Really That Different?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
So i figured his behavior could him just being depressed over seeing his brother die in 1 and never coming to terms with it.

That works better for the anime as it is more closer to 1 than 2 as 2 was a decade or so later. But death of a loved one is something you just don't get over, thats not how it works. So that could work.

I would just have it be a more recent upset in Dante's life that he is having difficulty dealing with. It allows you keep it death free and resolve it in 2.

Last edited:

DarkSlayerVergil

So i figured his behavior could him just being depressed over seeing his brother die in 1 and never coming to terms with it.

That works better for the anime as it is more closer to 1 than 2 as 2 was a decade or so later. But death of a loved one is something you just don't get over, thats not how it works. So that could work.

I would just have it be a more recent upset in Dante's life that he is having difficulty dealing with. It allows you keep it death free and resolve it in 2.
How would you explain 4 then?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
How would you explain 4 then?
Originally 4 was set after 2 so you could say a trip to hell was all he needed.

Going from the anime to 4 is hard because the anime is rather vague and noncomittal about Dante's character. If it took more of a firm hand and gave Dante a real arc you could just say he overcame whatever was holding him down by the end of the anime.

4 is years after the anime so you could just them say he had a few good years.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@DarkSlayerVergil
What they could have done with Nero is just make him a regular dude who went through the Ascension process. That would have give Dante more of a reason to play coy with him and test him. It also gives Dante an interesting dillema- does he give into optimism and hope nero and the others can maintain their humanity or does he be pragmatic and prepare to kill them?

However that story plays out you could have that carry over in 2.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
To me the bigger problem is they never explored how Dante changed well enough to win skeptics over.

DMC2 and the anime have Dante be more quiet but failed to explore why he's quiet or give him genuine struggles or conflict so he never becomes interesting or "worth it".

DMC4 is the flip side to this but atleast he's more fun to watch.

The reason why Dante is more quiet in 2 is that in light novel #2, he had to kill Trish in an alternate universe where she decided to not defect from Mundus. Novel #2 acts as a prequel to DMC2. I know it's a case of all there in the manual and fixing a problem, but that's pretty much why Dante is more sombre.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
The reason why Dante is more quiet in 2 is that in light novel #2, he had to kill Trish in an alternate universe where she decided to not defect from Mundus. Novel #2 acts as a prequel to DMC2. I know it's a case of all there in the manual and fixing a problem, but that's pretty much why Dante is more sombre.
well thank you for clarifying. I wish they did the same.

They should have made a mention of that in the title scrawl of 4. Thats when they described the past games or even in the games data files.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
But why would he be quiet in 2 if he only killed Trish in an alternate timeline? Surely that wouldn’t of had any real effect on the actual timeline that he’s in because Trish is in 5 and that’s set after 2.

I am confused.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
But why would he be quiet in 2 if he only killed Trish in an alternate timeline? Surely that wouldn’t of had any real effect on the actual timeline that he’s in because Trish is in 5 and that’s set after 2.

I am confused.
I think killing Trish copy or not is something he'd take likely. He might accepted he had to do it but its not something he was comfortable with or easily get over with.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I think killing Trish copy or not is something he'd take likely. He might accepted he had to do it but its not something he was comfortable with or easily get over with.

Yeah but actually killing Trish is something I’d deem significant enough for him to be upset about throughout the game. But we know he didn’t actually kill her so I wouldn’t say it makes sense for her “death” to weigh on his mind so much when she isn’t really dead (at least not in his actual timeline).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Yeah but actually killing Trish is something I’d deem significant enough for him to be upset about throughout the game. But we know he didn’t actually kill her so I wouldn’t say it makes sense for her “death” to weigh on his mind so much when she isn’t really dead (at least not in his actual timeline).

Remember, killing Trish, alternate timline or not, is like seeing his mother die again. Only this time, he pulled the trigger. Dante did try to convince AU!Trish to defect, but she wouldn't budge.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I understand the part about it being him to actually “kill his mother’s image” this time around, but really Mundus already messed with Dante’s mind by creating Trish in the first place. And since he already knows she isn’t really actually dead and his mother - no matter what - still is, I just don’t personally think that’s something you can say “Okay this is why Dante is so different in 2”. Dante in his line of work already knows that he’s going to have a lot of difficult and strange obstacles to overcome, especially since he’s dealing with the supernatural. And again, I didn’t really think he was that much different to his DMC 1 self. He just took things more serious than his DMC 3-4 representation.

windleopard

I am confused.
Trish's absence from 2's plot suggests she had split off from Dante again at some point or was on another job. I'm guessing he did want to talk to her about it but she wasn't present. Then he's back in his dimension mere seconds before he gets another calling to stop demons from taking over the planet.

In short, you have a person who has just been through a very traumatic experience, has no one to talk to about it and now has to bury his feelings to do his job. It's not too surprising he isn't in a very talkative mood.

I understand the part about it being him to actually “kill his mother’s image” this time around, but really Mundus already messed with Dante’s mind by creating Trish in the first place. And since he already knows she isn’t really actually dead and his mother - no matter what - still is, I just don’t personally think that’s something you can say “Okay this is why Dante is so different in 2”. Dante in his line of work already knows that he’s going to have a lot of difficult and strange obstacles to overcome, especially since he’s dealing with the supernatural. And again, I didn’t really think he was that much different to his DMC 1 self. He just took things more serious than his DMC 3-4 representation.

Intellectually, Dante knows Trish isn’t his mom but on an emotional level, he still associates Trish with Eva because of how she looks.

That said, I do agree with you that he wasn’t all that different. Hell, you could even speculate he was going through some emotional turmoil in 1 due to Trish reminding him of his mom and him going to fight the demon that killed her.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Uhm, yeah... Yeah he was. A lot. But being different from his DMC1 self per se is not the problem so much as the lack of context provided to justify such a change within the narrative. Fans' headcanon or off game, alternate timeline events don't do it in terms of making the game's narrative better and justifying his drastic personality change.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
How exactly was he drastically different from his DMC 1 self? Someone enlighten me.

@Z218 - Were people taking the novels into consideration at that point though? Did anyone think that they held much relevancy to the overall canon of DMC. I remember people saying that the DMC 4 novel wasn’t really canon and the novel’s canon does contradict the game’s, so which are we supposed to believe?

DarkSlayerVergil

How exactly was he drastically different from his DMC 1 self? Someone enlighten me.

@Z218 - Were people taking the novels into consideration at that point though? Did anyone think that they held much relevancy to the overall canon of DMC. I remember people saying that the DMC 4 novel wasn’t really canon and the novel’s canon does contradict the game’s, so which are we supposed to believe?
I aasuming everyone's basically believing the novels to be canon to the games now due to 5 using ideas from it.

Top Bottom