• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Was Dante Really That Different?

windleopard

One of the biggest sources of contention for DMC 2 is Dante's personality change. DMC 2 Dante is accused of being brooding and borderline mute. But is he?

I mean, DMC 1 Dante wasn;'t that much of a snarker and knew when to take things seriously unlike 3 and 4 Dante. Dante in 2 also does have some moments of snark characterization. Like the "here's your crown" moment and the subtle trolling of Lucia and Matear with the double-headed coin. Even the way in which he kills the Despair Embodied just feels like classic Dante.

So yeah, I don't really feel like DMC 2 Dante was all that different after all.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
same here, nothing wrong dante for me.. it's just technicality issues with the developing team --which from what i know is a different team from 1-- and how they presented the game..

and it's not like DMC1 dante has an established personality, DMC3 had him for that, my guess is that the team aimed for an uber-cool one, if i remembered correctly, that's how cool was in that era.. and anyway the playful and light personality don't fit his DMC2 artworks..

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Yeah but here's the thing, Dante in DMC1 was trying to avenge his mother, something he's spent his entire life leading up to, ofcourse he'd take it more seriously then other jobs. But even then, he still had some one-liners and didn't come off as so flat when he spoke.
Yes I acknowledge DMC2 Dante did have some brief moments (The above mentioned "Here's your crown" comment, is actually one of my favorite moments for the character), but I do think his VA for DMC2 just lacked charisma

windleopard

Yeah but here's the thing, Dante in DMC1 was trying to avenge his mother, something he's spent his entire life leading up to, ofcourse he'd take it more seriously then other jobs. But even then, he still had some one-liners and didn't come off as so flat when he spoke.
Yes I acknowledge DMC2 Dante did have some brief moments (The above mentioned "Here's your crown" comment, is actually one of my favorite moments for the character), but I do think his VA for DMC2 just lacked charisma
Fair enough but I feel the same can be said for his voice actor in the first game.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
For me, DMC 1 and DMC 2 Dante are mostly the same (they’re more serious).

And DMC 3 and DMC 4 Dante are both playful and cheesy.

I hope in 5 that we get to see a mixture of those aforementioned traits.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
DMC 1 Dante wasn;'t that much of a snarker

I know that DMC1 didn't have the best of facial animations but his very first line of dialogue in the game is "Whoa, slow down babe!", in DMC 2 he doesn't have the same level of joy&energy in his voice anymore. His voice is way too dry&somber even when he says stuff like "here's your crown" it sounds badass but in a more Punisher/Batman sort of way. The best way to describe DMC 2 dante would be Batman, DMC 1-3 dante is more like Spiderman and DMC4 dante is just Deadpool.

knew when to take things seriously unlike 3 and 4 Dante

Did we play the same game? The way Dante convinced lady to stop going after Arkham was dead serious or what about the ending where Dante picks up the force edge in dejected manner after vergil falls into the abyss? DMC3 dante acting like a bombastic idiot made sense because he was an immature, insecure teeanger. DMC 4 dante was just fan service for DMC 3 dante fans, it didn't really make sense for him to act like a cartoon but hey, that's what fans want.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
The original post asks if Dante was really that much different in 2. In others words, was his character portrayed worse than in the other games? Because let’s face it, we’ve all heard that statement that DMC 2 Dante is different and that he doesn’t feel like Dante.

I personally don’t see what the problem with 2’s personality is. To me, he’s just more serious like DMC 1 Dante. I don’t see a problem with that, and I never thought of Dante in 1 or 2 in the same light as DMC 3 and 4 Dante. Those are just too cheesy and playful and rarely take things seriously. It’s just how they went with Dante’s character for those games. That doesn’t make DMC 2 Dante’s character bad.

Aisen66

him and nero sure are diffferent in this new game coming out they look like hell glad im not buying a ps4 no time soon hahaha

BlackAngel

Dante should have character development to have players connect with him of why he's not the same person as he was. They should've put tragedy and loss to explain why he leaves things to fate by tossing his coin, because he felt his actions always costs someone's life. I think they should've hired writers who did Witcher 3 if they decide to revamp DMC2.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
To me the bigger problem is they never explored how Dante changed well enough to win skeptics over.

DMC2 and the anime have Dante be more quiet but failed to explore why he's quiet or give him genuine struggles or conflict so he never becomes interesting or "worth it".

DMC4 is the flip side to this but atleast he's more fun to watch.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I think the recurrent fan theory is that something happened to Trish, Lady, or Nero between games that left him somber and dismotivated.

Top Bottom