• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Top 5 things you like about DmC

KatTheNephilim

Spirit Medium
Story: more focused on characters and Family
Characters: Obviously because of Kat
Gameplay: Nice tweaked Controls weapons Devil trigger and Angel/demon mode
Angels: Nice inclusion to the franchise explaining how Dante is more powerful
Custom Soundtrack Feature: Play whatever song you want as well as the games amazing Soundtrack
DLC: Cool skins weapon skins and Vergil
Better backstory and more Character Relation: It really explained and made the story and characters grow WAY more than the original which I think this game acts as a prequel to DMC3
Yes I know I put story twice

Thunderkrat

Great attachment List

Rugal Bernstein is Rugalis Sparda Akuma is his Brother in Law Lucifer split the close unit apart out of jealousy pride and envy Genocide Cutter Hurricane kick Dragon Uppercut Fireball all moves in Capcom vs SNK canon which vergil and Dante use like Father like Son. Goenitz is a priest and friend of human Victor Mundus before he got corrupted by Lucifer

I think kick combat should be included and Devil Trigger and Angel Trigger should have 70-100 Special moves and 100 hyper ultra punishment Omega moves Music should have Metallica Slayer Megadeth Anthrax Hard Trance Hardstyle sound custom made

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I like the costumes you get in the definitive edition. Classic Dante DMC3 looks so crisp in the new engine.

The aquila is a fun weapon to use.

Bob bardas is a fun villian and Phineas is a character with potential.

Limbo being a living city that can shift itself is a cool idea.

Better platforming.

Keaton

Premium
I love the positivity of this thread. Good job :) *happy Keaton beams*

Now, after Devil May Cry 3, DmC is probably my favourite Devil May Cry *ducks as a bottle of Verility soars over my head and smashes into the wall behind* - I saw that!

1. Weapon System
Ok, controversial yeah. But it streamlined alot of what made the latter part of Devil May Cry 4 tedious, and incorporated different style abilities into a natural Order i.e. Trickster Dodge as an upgrade to Dantes Heaven Dodge (can't recall the names sorry!), and a Quicksilver-esque damage boost into his hellish equivilent. It worked and, further more onto my next point:

2. Demon Pull & Angel Lift
If ANYTHING can be adopted by DMC5 from DmC it's this. Devil May Cry protagonists are clunky when you compare them to other heroes of the genre, unless employing novement based styles (Trickster) or Nero's Snatch moving around to meet enemies often feels heavy. DP&AL really kept combat fluid and meant that techniques such as Enemy Step were complementary and not compulsory to aerial combat.

3. Dante
I actually gave a crap about him by the end.
He harked back to Devil May Cry 3 Dante who just wanted to kick some ass, and save his Brother - he became a compelling foul mouthed hero, sure he wasn't perfect by any standards we can all be grateful he didn't end up like the original E3 trailer pitched him to be.

4. Kat.
She was awesome and developed, I would've preferred Kat based Limbo DLC than Vergils

5. Platforming > Puzzles
Devil May Crys roots in Resident Evil are unmistakeable - but sometimes the puzzles kill the flow - DmCs platforming was a welcome break from that - plus, mastering the traversial elements helped make you a more agile combatant. Win-Win.

My five cents atleast.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Keaton - It was a great game (imo)

It was like a Devil May Cry game, just with a story...I’m partly joking here, please don’t kill me guys.

What I mean is the plot is basically like DMC 3 and 1 just mixed together and obviously with some differences. But if you break everything down and go into depth with the story it’s mostly the same. I’m talking about your (3) point here referring to Dante.

Dante seeming carefree and not really bothered about his father or background (DMC 3) - Dante being carefree, not really bothered about much either. Doesn’t actually know or remember his mother and father to care about them (DmC Dante) The difference being that in DMC he decided to care and take his job more seriously as he aged as a demon hunter. In DmC he starts to care during the course of the game. The story as a whole seems to have a greater progression of character development throughout (probably due to the fact they thought “here’s our chance to lay the characters and story out how we want to so we better not waste this opportunity”)

Vergil wants more power and will do anything to get it. He wants to follow in his father’s footsteps in some aspects and thinks that he can do things like his father, Sparda, did (such as defeat Mundus...yeah, nice going Vergil).

DmC Vergil is different in the sense that his motives are hidden behind this false pretense of wanting to defeat Mundus in order to free humanity from whatever slavery they are under by the demon lord. He’s decietful and manipulative and doesn’t seem to think what he’s doing is wrong. Although ultimately overthrowing Mundus is just an agenda to be at the top of the ‘power-chain’ as he even offers Dante a chance to rule by his side.

Both Vergil’s are primarily anti-heros (imo) and both want to have power and control things. The only main difference between the two is their relationship with Dante - DMC’s is seemingly volatile. DmC’s is mostly loving.

Not too many contrasts in the characters and story overall, and I enjoyed that.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
the drekavac is a pretty cool design.

i like that the hunter is based off a Nue (a Japanese chimera).

Dante does end the game in a stronger place character-wise than his classic self. Although his path getting there could have been better.

I like that it ends with Demons becoming public knowledge.

Last edited:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I like that it ends with Demons becoming public knowledge.

Which DMC very rarely did with the exception of the people of Fortuna. And DMC 3 having a huge tower erupt from the earth itself and nobody pays it any attention (?).

At least DMC 5 seems to have an ordinary City overrun by demons with people panicking in the same vain as DmC’s ending.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
And DMC 3 having a huge tower erupt from the earth itself and nobody pays it any attention (?).

I'm not sure you can come to that conclusion when there's no one around in the first place to see if they pay attention or not.

Besides, I've said this before, but the reason why only DMC4 showed a human population alongside demons is because that's when they could render all those models together on the screen at the same time. It's got nothing to do with neglecting that aspect of the lore.
I remember an interview with Reuben Langdon, or Dan Southworth, or both, I can't recall, where it was said that for DMC3SE's Vergil prologue, when he fights the Abyss demons, they had to push the PS2 and the engine's capabilities to their limit just to be able to show 4 or 5 models on the same frame. Which is why the scene is also prerendered instead of being processed in real time like others in the game.

Last edited:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Foxtrot94: You can definitely come to that conclusion because other than DMC 4 (Which has a cult that worships a demon - Sparda - as a God) no other Devil May Cry game makes reference to demons being public knowledge to humans. Any other references to demons being known to humans are games based on islands and not mainland. So it’s not much of a stretch to assume that whatever happened on those islands was very much so secluded to those islands.

Devil May Cry 3 moreover seemed to take place in some (presumably fictional) City and there was nothing outside of Dante turning up to fight his brother and stop Arkham that showed us humans acknowledging the giant tower before them.

As I’m saying, it isn’t properly addressed in the Devil May Cry series. It only appears to be touched upon in greater detail in DmC and now Devil May Cry 5 (where we see humans afraid and confused by demonic presence).

Furthermore, I get what you’re saying about DMC 3 and not being able to pull it off at the time. But that’s not to say they couldn’t of had at least one cutscene that implies the human world is at least aware that something is happening right in front of them. DMC 3 seems to suggest that only Dante, Vergil, Arkham and Lady know about Temen-Ni-Gru and are the only ones concerned about it (for different reasons of course).

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Devil May Cry 3 moreover seemed to take place in some (presumably fictional) City and there was nothing outside of Dante turning up to fight his brother and stop Arkham that showed us humans acknowledging the giant tower before them.

And I just told you why. It's merely got to do with technology restrictions at the time rather than some unwillingness to do so. There is a whole passage in an interview with Reuben Langdon where, when talking about the mocap process, he mentions human presence was very much in the plans for the creation of the environments but they just had to scrap it once they found out that either the engine or the PS2 could not handle it (I shall link it if I manage to find it again). Because of that, they couldn't show humans screaming and running around like they could with the PS3/Xbox 360 gen of hardware. Of course they only did it with DMC4, DmC and DMC5. Back then, they could only do it through environmental details such as smashed cars and busses with broken windows and interiors looking like they've been left in a hurry.
Or, through the background of its characters. The entire backstory of Arkham is that of a human delving into demonic forces and attaining demonic powers. If that is not a clue that humans do acknowledge demons exist to some extent...

Furthermore, I get what you’re saying about DMC 3 and not being able to pull it off at the time. But that’s not to say they couldn’t of had at least one cutscene that implies the human world is at least aware that something is happening right in front of them. DMC 3 seems to suggest that only Dante, Vergil, Arkham and Lady know about Temen-Ni-Gru and are the only ones concerned about it (for different reasons of course).

Well, you know, it wasn't exactly the priority of the story, unlike say, DMC4, where the demonic invasion was a crucial part of the main villain's plan. Arkham's actions only really focus on the tower itself, the demonic outburst was just a side effect of them. So they left the environmental clues you find exploring the levels speak instead of dedicating time and resources to a mostly irrelevant matter to the actual plot.

Last edited:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Foxtrot94: No, you only explained that they weren’t capable of doing it back then because of limitations. As I’ve said, it’s never explicitly touched upon in the Devil May Cry series outside minor circumstances. Arkham having knowledge of demon existence is just one example, and doesn’t point to a broader awareness by humans of demon existence. I’m talking on a grander scale here.

Anyway, I think we’ve gone off track a little bit here.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
As I’ve said, it’s never explicitly touched upon in the Devil May Cry series outside minor circumstances.

They touched upon it more explicitly (within the limits of what they could with the hardware they had to deal with) when it had some relevance to the actual story. In DMC1, it doesn't really matter to the plot. In DMC2 it does and in fact there, humans being aware of demons was very clear. As for DMC3 and 4, I explained above.
In DmC, humans' (un)awareness is pretty important cause the plot pretty much revolves around it, with Vergil seeking Dante's help "wake up" the populace. In DMC5, to quote Matt the producer (or Itsuno, since he's translating him), the whole demon tree invasion is gonna be "the crux of the story", so they're showing humans interacting with demons again like they did in 4.

Anyway, I think we’ve gone off track a little bit here.

Ok. Just allow me to leave this final piece here without dropping the ban hammer on me, then I'll go. XD

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
1. Dante's character development, going from a hedonistic asshole to someone who actually cares about the plight of others.

2. Dante's pun game is still strong. (Breaking News, Bob! You're fired! You're all mixed up! Now There's a face only a mother could love)

3. Vergil's Downfall. Just.....Vergil's Downfall

4. The weapons designs. They feel.....more visceral and alive.

5. Kat. We all want to hug her, admit it.

Meg

Just finished playing through the Definitive Edition, so it's a good time to revisit this topic. Firstly, very happy to say the DE fixes a lot of the issues that I had with the original release.

1) Overall strong combat system

2) Angel weapons are a lot of fun

3) Some of the level design is really good

4) Platforming sections are a nice break from combat

5) I've yet to find a secret mission I know I'll never be able to beat. :laugh:

DarkSlayerVergil

Just finished playing through the Definitive Edition, so it's a good time to revisit this topic. Firstly, very happy to say the DE fixes a lot of the issues that I had with the original release.

1) Overall strong combat system

2) Angel weapons are a lot of fun

3) Some of the level design is really good

4) Platforming sections are a nice break from combat

5) I've yet to find a secret mission I know I'll never be able to beat. :laugh:
This is nice to hear.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
5. Soundtrack. It's great, but most of the type of rock songs I doubt OG Dante or Nero would listen to on a casual basis. It fits the theme the game is going for, sot that works. The dub-step I despise and ages the game.

4. Bob Barbas - The best villain in this game. Everyone else is dull or uninteresting.

3. Dreamrunners - They're exciting to fight and I wish some form of them would exist in 5.

2. Kat and Phineas - I hated this version of Dante (though I tolerate him now), Vergil they mostly got wrong, Lilith I did not care for, and Mundus was turned into bald, evil, Bruce Willis combined with Arius and Arkham. Kat I genuinely liked and Phineas was an interesting character and shows the kind side of some demons the original series touched on. I prefer Lady, Trish, or Lucia over her, but at least she contributes more than Kyrie. And before anyone starts, I like Kyrie.

1. Weapon switching - The combat may be more limited compared to past games, but the weapon switching they got right! There is always a satisfaction to starting off with a sword combo and ending with finishing blow with a scythe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom