• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Top 5 things you like about DmC

Moondivider

www.tablehopper.deviantart.com
Premium
Among five things I like are:

1. Inverse rainstorm. A nice addition
2. Multiple battle themes. An option to choose which ones you'd like on a mission would've been sweet
3. Vergil's Downfall. I felt like it really held true to a lot of DMC's core, while still doing it's own thing.
4. The last blow-camera work. Don't know if I would like it in the original series, but I like it here.
5. All DE-improvements

:thumbsup:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
This is only my opinion but...
1.) Platforming, it was a pain in the previous games but it was actually very enjoyable when combined with the interesting level design.
2.) Soundtrack, the music was awesome and totally fit the style. Though i wish there had been a bit more variety to balance it out.
3.) Weapon switching, while 4 let you use all your weapons you had to cycle through them which was annoying. But DmC had a simpler streamlined option.
4.) Kat, or more accurately a character who uses brains over brawn by coming up with strategies. Also props to Dante for coming up with the plan to take Lilith and Mundus jr. hostage to save Kat.
5.) Vergil's Downfall, now that is how you do a bonus epilogue. It gave me shivers and made me even more look forward for a sequel.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
3.) Weapon switching, while 4 let you use all your weapons you had to cycle through them which was annoying. But DmC had a simpler streamlined option.

Hmmm now that's arguable. I mean, I get what you're saying but for me it was annoying having to hold the triggers and press a DPad button to cycle through weapons (or Q and E on keyboard), while in previous games I just press them when I wanna change them.

I'd say that while DmC did streamline much of the combat, the weapon switching got the opposite treatment.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Hmmm now that's arguable. I mean, I get what you're saying but for me it was annoying having to hold the triggers and press a DPad button to cycle through weapons (or Q and E on keyboard), while in previous games I just press them when I wanna change them.

I'd say that while DmC did streamline much of the combat, the weapon switching got the opposite treatment.

I guess it's more along the lines of wanting a weapon right then and the and not having to cycle two weapons to get to it. Where with DmC, just hold a trigger down to use the weapon, let it go to get back to main sword, and just use the directional button to change them. And the weapons aren't all on one button, but are spread out to pick the one you want. The only real cycling comes from the guns.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
The camera and the HUD, I suppose. The camera didn't have that weird issue where it would invert at the edge of a level, and you'd have to switch which directional button you were pressing. It also gave you more of an idea what the map looked like, I guess. The HUD was simple, though the old style seemed just as good.

The graphics could be nice sometimes, they were more original, usually. That said, the levels often being one color really got on my nerves. Red level, green level, bluish level, yeah we get it... colors.

There's nothing else I can say DmC beats DMC3 or DMC4 in, honestly. No offense intended.

Last edited:

Vergil Crosse

1. The camera issues plaguing the first games were addressed
2. None of the levels were repeated (With exception to Vergil's Downfall)
3. The auto-targeting was a nice feature. It made enemy switching infinitely easier than the button toggling
4. The combat mechanics were superb. It FELT good hitting the enemies.
5. Training mode. Why this is not integrated into the SE version of DMC4 is beyond me.

Edit: Remembered Training mode. :D

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
1. The fact that the combat is accessible. Back when DmC first launched I wasn't the best at hack-n-slash titles, but DmC: Devil May Cry was such an accessible game that in no time I could watch a YouTube tutorial and pull off some advanced techniques. DmC conditioned me to be a better gamer all together and I now hope to tackle DmC4: SE on some of the higher difficulties. http://devilmaycry.org/threads/top-5-things-you-like-about-dmc.20472/page-2

2. The levels weren't repeated at all, every new level was a big breath of fresh air. The first level with the demented carnival left me wondering how in the hell they could top that, and they not only topped the design of the first level but went above and beyond.

3. The music was hype as ****. Never Surrender is the coolest ****ing song to ever play at the beginning of any video game.

4. I really liked the characters, especially Dante. I started moving away from campy anime around the time that DmC came out, so seeing a more human Dante was pretty neat. I liked Kat as well, she seemed human and the bond between her and Dante was awesome. Vergil is a great antagonist this time around rather than just "POWER!!!!" and seeing him fall apart and be reborn in Vergil's Downfall was absolutely diabolical.

5. Like everyone else states in this thread, the camera bullshit was fixed.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@BLACKSWIPE
Actually I did find Vergil pretty worthless antagonist here. The game did nothing to suggest he was a match for Dante. Quite the opposite, in fact, making him pass off as the smart guy while Dante is the strong guy. Between the two, I never thought one second that Vergil had any chance to win, and the way he's depicted right before their fight (during Mundus boss battle), taking the role of the damsel in distress in need of Dante's help, gives him the coup of grace as both a character and a worthy final boss.
I'm sad to acknowledge that my fav character in the series didn't get the best treatment (even as a rebooted character).

In the vanilla game.

Cause in Vergil's Downfall, that's more like it. That I liked. Ironically, I do find that the title is wrong, LOL. That was not his downfall, but rather his redemption as someone who carries the name Vergil.
He sure is more threatening and intimidating there, by the end. If they made VD first, and changed DmC's story to implement that Vergil, I think I'd have liked the character more.

Anyway what to say, glad you at least dug him.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
@BLACKSWIPE
Actually I did find Vergil pretty worthless antagonist here. The game did nothing to suggest he was a match for Dante. Quite the opposite, in fact, making him pass off as the smart guy while Dante is the strong guy. Between the two, I never thought one second that Vergil had any chance to win, and the way he's depicted right before their fight (during Mundus boss battle), taking the role of the damsel in distress in need of Dante's help, gives him the coup of grace as both a character and a worthy final boss.
I'm sad to acknowledge that my fav character in the series didn't get the best treatment (even as a rebooted character).
You take too many things at face value because you're just wanting to see DMC 3's melodrama and stuff all over again. DmC out the gate in its inception was to be different.

You have to consider what isn't shown just as much as what is. There's a lot you can gather about Vergil and his ability as a warrior in this war against the demons by just paying attention to. the. context.

Just think about it. I shouldn't even have to explain because this stuff isn't hard. DmC is a fairly straightforward tale.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Sorry for double post. I don't know any other way to separate these two recent post.

There's one thing I like about this game.

That's how it is the fresh take on Devil May Cry it said it would be, but also kept its identity as a Devil May Cry game with simply fun gameplay I always expected from this series. It was the first sequel after the first that actually threw it self back somewhat to the spirit of the first game I fell in love with.

As a long time Devil May Cry fan that's been playing since the VERY BEGINNING, I wonder why they hell would I not enjoy it? I know Devil May Cry, which is why I will always still enjoy this one as a second favorite in the series.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
You take too many things at face value because you're just wanting to see DMC 3's melodrama and stuff all over again. DmC out the gate in its inception was to be different.

You have to consider what isn't shown just as much as what is. There's a lot you can gather about Vergil and his ability as a warrior in this war against the demons by just paying attention to. the. context.

Just think about it. I shouldn't even have to explain because this stuff isn't hard. DmC is a fairly straightforward tale.

The first paragraph is completely wrong. I didn't say that. Don't pretend to know what I think.

What I wanted to see, is a final boss worthy of this name. If in the mission before the one where I have to face him, I have to save him, he's not respectable as a final villain to me and becomes a joke.

And not only that. It's a pretty simple concept to grasp. Say what you want, Chancey, but the whole game does not depict Vergil as anything particularly worthy as a warrior compared to Dante, both in the script and the acting.
DeLatour acted well when it comes to line delivery etc., but almost every time he was wielding that katana (and not using it as a cane) he looked like a fish out of the water. The scene where he stabs Mundus is a good example. Felt such an awkward movement.

Vergil has nothing imposing, or that makes you think he's a threat to Dante, that he can actually put him down in a fight in this game. It's so clear that Dante is the stronger guy between the two, that their final battle loses all the tension. You know that Dante's gonna win, as Vergil was not depicted as a warrior close to Dante's level. He's depicted as a tactician, a brain guy. And the very moment he screams for Dante's help in Mission 19, any respect I could have had for him as a final villain to face (I knew he was gonna be the final boss) was gone. That is not how you do it. I cannot respect a final enemy that cannot even watch out for himself without the hero's help.

When I see him at the end of VD, I think "Man this guy can beat the hell outta Dante!", a feeling that the main game absolutely didn't give me. They did it with Mundus (even though his battle was sub par), but not with Vergil.

EDIT: if you're willing to talk more about this, PM me, as this doesn't belong to the topic.

Last edited:

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
I loved Vergil's Downfall and I wish it ended up being standalone DLC, with its own physical release and of course, sans the cartoony cutscenes, the Hollow Kat and Hollow Dante boss fights it deserved and just generally I wish development on VD was longer. Maybe not a 20 mission title, but 10 would've been nice. You then end up with three boss fights and standard missions in between.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I loved Vergil's Downfall and I wish it ended up being standalone DLC, with its own physical release and of course, sans the cartoony cutscenes, the Hollow Kat and Hollow Dante boss fights it deserved and just generally I wish development on VD was longer. Maybe not a 20 mission title, but 10 would've been nice. You then end up with three boss fights and standard missions in between.

That would have been awesome. But I mean, how many awesome things we wish Capcom did with this franchise? :/

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
That would have been awesome. But I mean, how many awesome things we wish Capcom did with this franchise? :/

Well, you can't have it all. In the end, I still love what I got.

Early in the mornin', risin' through the street, light me up that cigarette and I'll strap shoes on my feet :)

Judge

1. Combat mechanics. Wonderful combat mechanics, so much more fluid and responsive than previous games. You dodge instantly compared to having to hold lock on and dodge. None of your moves are tied down to the lock on button, and thus they can be used in any direction and can be activated more efficently.

Much better way of locking onto enemies, having to hold R1 as you attack was a pain, much better to point and move fluidly between your enemies rather than being tied down to one enemy and then waiting for the system to give you the next target. Makes the air combat and multiple enemy encounters possible, which wasn't possible with the same finess before DmC.

2. Camera and enemy AI. Worst thing about the combat of previous games was how you could not always see your enemies properly and your enemies could attack you off screen without you having any time to react. This time you control the camera, which gives you such a clear view of your enemies and no unecessary particle effects blocking your vision. You also have a better enenmy AI where the enemy won't attack you at full force until its in your field of view, making for better enemy encounters and less cheap shots by enemies you can't see.

3. Level design and platforming. Limbo was a brilliant concept, the world is alive and the platforming is much better for traversing the choatic realm of the demons.

4. Combo offset. The best thing about the combat and not even Bayonetta 2 does this; you start a combo with Arbiter or any weapon and your finish that combo with Rebellion. You link your weapons together and link the combos from the speed and the strength weapons to change it up as you like.

5. Vergils Devil Trigger. While Dante's DT was a bit dissapointing, Vergils DT delivered and then some, with a few different combinations of what you can do, they did the Doppleganger style true justice and delivered on something that was never done properly before.

Theres loads of other things I could mention, and theres a few negatives as well that I felt Bayonetta has done better, and I even felt Dante's DMC4 DT was better than the DT they had for Dante this time. That aside what an adventure, hope to see another game like this one day.

Aisen66

i like the new girl she is a sweetheart ,i like the cut scenes ,all the different weapons ,the fighting was fun,and i liked the last fight against vergil the best because it was better than a movie the end

Thunderkrat

Noisia Liliths Theme Bob Barbas Boss Battle which was cut and didn't go far enough the news articles should have Attacked Dante, Dream world Colours and Dante Osiris spinning Scythe Moves But the Game is utterly Cut you should have had a more Spectacular game and Needs an Ultimate Edition With Amazing Kick moves and Acrobatics laser weapons DMC 2 Machine Guns Overhaul of Enemies A 5 Part Mundus Boss Battle with you fighting the Original DMC 1 Mundus Boss Battle and New Real Terrifying Mundus 15 new bosses Emo Phillips mode that makes the DMC3 original in very Easy Mode and Explanation of Plot Original Orb Counter and Blue Orbs

I really am going to go in Detail about every Devil may cry because DMC 3 Didn't go far enough and a lot of Amazing moves and weapons and content was Cut DMC4 Dante should have had his own amazing levels and Mundus Boss Battle with Shock revelation and introduction of Lucifer

Last edited:
Top Bottom