• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Top 5 things you like about DmC

Neigh Bird

SSStrange!!!
Doesn't have to be 5, you could say 1 thing if ya like. :wink:

I'll start:

1. Camera. It's solid. Not having a fixed camera for 90% of the experience improved the immersion level tenfolds. It makes the world so much more alive and invigorating, and the combat feeling more dynamic.

2. Navigation. The devs really nailed it here. Swapping out puzzles for platforming was a great idea. It improved the pacing between combat and made exploration really fun, despite the linear designs. The levels never feel like they're dragging, even when backtracking (a lot due to the ever-changing world that keep you on your toes) and abilities such as Demon Pull and Angel Lift are responsive and enjoyable to use, never feeling clunky or sluggish.

Mildly related, but this includes combat as well. Whether its boss battles or minions, positioning and movement are just as important as dealing damage, and while a bit exploitable, it's well developed and a lot of fun in DmC.

3. MENU/HUD. It's near perfect. I'm a sucker for aesthetics and I absolutely love the simplicity and punk design going on. It's simple, it's intuitive, I don't understand Angry Joe's beef.

4. Animations. Excluding cutscenes, the devs did a phenomenal job. Almost everything was beautifully animated. Dante's swings look stylish and believable. Yeah.

5. Training. Every game in the franchise needs this mode.

Darkstar Darin

The Badass In Black
  1. Story: It tried to have some kind of ongoing story instead of some threat showing up and being dealt with all in the same game.
  2. Gameplay: This is without a doubt the most fun I've had playing a DMC/DmC game since Devil May Cry 3. It's fast, fluid, and easy to switch to different weapons.
  3. Dante's coat turns red when he Devil Triggers. I would've said the same for Vergil's coat turning blue but Vergil's Downfall happened. :banghead:
  4. Kat.
  5. Devil's Dalliance. I seriously loved that stage!

The Good Gentleman

S'all Part of a Miracle Masterpiece
1-I wholly agree with your bit about the camera. Easily the best in the series, and I hope future games (old canon or new) use it.

2-Dedicated dodge button. In the original games, dodging requires locking-on, and that in turn slows movements down to a sluggish pace. I'm not sure if it belongs in a new iteration of the old canon, but I do like it here.

3-Vergil's expanded moveset. Playing as Vergil in DMC3 was awesome to be sure, but his move set was hilariously limited compared to Dante. DmC Vergil, on the other hand, felt like the definitive version of the character. ...At the time. Cause we now have DMC4SE and all.

4-Bob Barbas. Just an all around creative boss fight! Especially the "breaking-news" segments.

5-Collectibles in every corner. To get your character to full health and DT, you actually really had to work your way around every stage, and go back to redo some. Definitely the best game in the series in this regard.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
  1. Dante: Just better Dante in my opinion. He was raw but still had a drive to save humanity. It felt natural compared to "PARTY PARTY PARTY". But that's just me. I felt a Sin City/Hellblazer vibe from nDante, and if you're gonna argue with me about how Devil May Cry is better Sin City/Hellblazer, then that's a battle you're going to lose. Badly. But anyway, I liked how rough and tough this Dante was compared to the past Dantes. He wasn't afraid to get down and dirty, and was dressed in the grungy style that I liked better then a ****ton of zippers and...chaps. Anyway nDante=Best Dante imo, I repeat for the people in the back; IN MY OPINION.
  2. Combat: People can say DMC4 had better combat till their head explodes, but if I don't have fun with it, then it ain't ****. DmC at least made me play it more then one time around and try to get better with it. Easy mechanics for me doesn't always mean bad game. if the game is still fun, then easy mechanics to me are just fine
  3. Environment: It's beautiful, full of life, and it just blows you away visually. I really liked that aspect about DmC because it blended colors and moving mechanics together into this surreal form of world.
  4. Story: I liked the rebellious and more Western tone of DmC. But this was also the time when I got sick of anime cliches, and campy Japanese antics that cluttered DMC3/4.
  5. Trailers: DmC to me had really cool trailers that I still keep watching to this day. The music, and camera work of the trailers were really hype worthy and I can't help but watch each and every one of them over and over again way too many times.

Neigh Bird

SSStrange!!!
2-Dedicated dodge button. In the original games, dodging requires locking-on, and that in turn slows movements down to a sluggish pace. I'm not sure if it belongs in a new iteration of the old canon, but I do like it here.

oh yeah, i also really like the enhancement with angel and devil evade, and being able to evade in the air

3-Vergil's expanded moveset. Playing as Vergil in DMC3 was awesome to be sure, but his move set was hilariously limited compared to Dante. DmC Vergil, on the other hand, felt like the definitive version of the character. ...At the time. Cause we now have DMC4SE and all.

DMC4SE or not, DmC Vergil is still the ultimate Bleach simulator

Combat: People can say DMC4 had better combat till their head explodes, but if I don't have fun with it, then it ain't ****. DmC at least made me play it more then one time around and try to get better with it. Easy mechanics for me doesn't always mean bad game. if the game is still fun, then easy mechanics to me are just fine

Trailers: DmC to me had really cool trailers that I still keep watching to this day. The music, and camera work of the trailers were really hype worthy and I can't help but watch each and every one of them over and over again way too many times.

oh man, i thought the trailers were awesome too. admittedly, i hated the change, but i kept re-watching the trailers because i thought they were so well done

it was one of those love/hate relationship thing. i loved the music, the pacing, etc, but i hated what was shown

this one, in particular, is pretty nostalgic for me

The Good Gentleman

S'all Part of a Miracle Masterpiece
DMC4SE or not, DmC Vergil is still the ultimate Bleach simulator

So true. So true. Just that video I posted under today reminded me of this nonsense:
m8rnP5c.gif

"Let's run circles around this guy as fast possible and wait for him to kill me!"

I'm so glad that the latest Bleach story arc features villains that actually don't dick about like this.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
1 - Yeah the camera is a must in this list.

2 - The demon design. Some people may find it dull but I liked it cause they kinda reminded me of an horror film... you know, when those black "tears" come out of their eyes.

3 - Yup, Vergil's moveset. The best in the series till DMC4SE comes out. Ok I didn't particularly liked the animations, too "wide" and "floaty" but the moveset was good, although it would have been cool if he had more weapons instead of just Yamato.

4 - The music. I know I know, it's WUBWUBWUB, something that I usually hate, but not in this game, cause it was just too appropriate, it fit the game perfectly and it was well executed.

5 - Dante's animations, especially the combat ones (that twerking when he walks though... LOL!).

I would have included Limbo too, but the crazy color saturation was a serious cock killer for me :/
A shame cause level design was cool.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted

this is my first time watching the trailer.. and that was one serious trailer.. i'm still disappointed with how the "game still on development" trailer gives that more deep and serious feel than the final game we have, oh well it was still fun as hell..

Judge

1. Defintely the top thing for me was the gameplay. While Dante didn't have as many moves as I would've liked the gameplay was much more fluid, faster and well fun to play than the previous games. It was a lot better to just go ahead and attack and move in any way you want as opposed to having to hold R1 to be able to attack properly. That for me was near perfection gameplay. Although admitedly Bayonetta did better boss fights, DmC's gameplay was more fun imo.

2. Level traversel. The missions are a lot more fun. Your missions generally have a purpose, the world is alive and trying to kill you and the levels are linear. Theres no lame puzzles and gimmicks, its pure non-stop action/adventure. No slowing down, just keep moving forward and foward.

3. Dante, Kat and Vergil. The three heros relate to each other and have logical converstations. Their motives are grounded in a manner that is relatable to the player. While some bits were a bit weaker (like the ending), some bits were perfection for the series. That conversation when Kat is wounded and she's listening to Dante and Vergil arguing about how so many people were killed by their actions was golden. They gave Dante a layer of humanity and depth where he questions the consequences of his actions.

this is my first time watching the trailer.. and that was one serious trailer.. i'm still disappointed with how the "game still on development" trailer gives that more deep and serious feel than the final game we have, oh well it was still fun as hell..

During the beginning phase of development Ninja Theory intended to make the game darker with more violence. Yet Capcom insisted they tone the game down or else Japanese retailers wouldn't stock the game in stores. Which is a bit disapointing; yet it also means future Ninja Theory games won't be comprismised with that type of constraint.

At the same time the game is called Devil May Cry, the series name is pretty melancholic as it is and the serious was very dark and violent when it started on PS2. So it would've been a return to the series roots if Ninja Theory had made it darker with more violence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
1. Defintely the top thing for me was the gameplay. While Dante didn't have as many moves as I would've liked the gameplay was much more fluid, faster and well fun to play than the previous games. It was a lot better to just go ahead and attack and move in any way you want as opposed to having to hold R1 to be able to attack properly. That for me was near perfection gameplay. Although admitedly Bayonetta did better boss fights, DmC's gameplay was more fun imo.

2. Level traversel. The missions are a lot more fun. Your missions generally have a purpose, the world is alive and trying to kill you and the levels are linear. Theres no lame puzzles and gimmicks, its pure non-stop action/adventure. No slowing down, just keep moving forward and foward.

3. Dante, Kat and Vergil. The three heros relate to each other and have logical converstations. Their motives are grounded in a manner that is relatable to the player. While some bits were a bit weaker (like the ending), some bits were perfection for the series. That conversation when Kat is wounded and she's listening to Dante and Vergil arguing about how so many people were killed by their actions was golden. They gave Dante a layer of humanity and depth where he questions the consequences of his actions.

You miss 2 points dude xD

Likin this thread. I'ma go ahead and create one for the other games as well.

Judge

You miss 2 points dude xD

Likin this thread. I'ma go ahead and create one for the other games as well.

The OP said you don't have to have five. So I settled for three. Yeah I wouldn't mind contributing to the other games as well. Theres great things about all the games.

Wajpa

Also Viper339 on Twitch!
1. THE MUSIC - I ABSOLUTELY LOVED what Combichrist did. I didn't really care about anything that Noisia made but everything from Combichrist was great.
2. Characters for the most part. Dante and Vergil were both great. Their interactions were really cool. I might anger a lot of people here but I saw Kat as mostly a plot device than anything else. At least she wasn't Kyrie though.
3. The additions to Dante's moveset - Sure, some things were cut out and I might have liked the original control scheme more but it also improved a lot of things and added stuff like reverse rainstorm.
4. The level design - I liked the whole "the world's trying to kill you" theme that was going on. I think it was maybe a little overused and too colorful for my taste though.

Neigh Bird

SSStrange!!!

yeah, this one was during its alpha stage and was the first time they showed gameplay

it got lost in time and took me a half hour to find

During the beginning phase of development Ninja Theory intended to make the game darker with more violence. Yet Capcom insisted they tone the game down or else Japanese retailers wouldn't stock the game in stores. Which is a bit disapointing; yet it also means future Ninja Theory games won't be comprismised with that type of constraint.

At the same time the game is called Devil May Cry, the series name is pretty melancholic as it is and the serious was very dark and violent when it started on PS2. So it would've been a return to the series roots if Ninja Theory had made it darker with more violence.

wow, you learn something new every day

4 - The music. I know I know, it's WUBWUBWUB, something that I usually hate, but not in this game, cause it was just too appropriate, it fit the game perfectly and it was well executed.

1. THE MUSIC - I ABSOLUTELY LOVED what Combichrist did. I didn't really care about anything that Noisia made but everything from Combichrist was great.

i agree, the music is absolutely amazing in DmC. it's one of my favorite video games soundtrack

the only time the wubwubwub really bothered me was the battle with Mundus. it's like they didn't even try

Exejpgwmv

1)The dodging system. It just feels right to me.

2)How the camera is no longer in a fixed position.

3)New Dante.(Because I just like his personality.)

4)How the environment is so vibrant and is constantly changing and moving.

5)Vergil has his own campaign and story and that his combat is noticeably different from Dante's.

Dominus

1) Level design was better than DMC4
2) Weapon switching mid combo
3) DmC: DE first addition of free move lock-on
4) DmC: DE must style mode (should have been in DMC4:SE)
5) Aquila seemed unique (other weapons were retreading previous DMC ground)

LoneRangerNinjutsu

The Man Without Fear!
1. Platforming - For one, it actually WORKS in this game! Honestly, I think this was one of the largest pitfalls in the original series. It wasn't the fact that it was bad... It's just that it happened to commonly in the older games even though it didn't work that well. In DmC however, the platforming functions well, and I actually looked forward to moments where I could engage in it. I think one reason why it worked so well is actually my second favorite thing about DmC, which is...

2. Camera - I love the fact that I can move the camera however I'd like in DmC. It makes combat immensely more fulfilling, adjusting the camera to get just the right angle as you execute a sick, stylistic combo. It also simply makes combat less frustrating, as well as platforming. While I love fixed camera angles as seen in the first three Resident Evil titles and even the very first, more horror-based Devil May Cry game, such camera angles felt arbitrary in future entries.

3. Level Design - Limbo is such a creative realm that I honestly wish was explored more, although, what we did see certainly was effective. I loved watching the transition from the dull, grey, real world to the crazed, colorful and overly-saturated realm where demons hid. It makes one wonder how the over-the-top environments of the previous games would look in Limbo. How impressive would that be? *sigh* Alas, we can only dream... Anyway, I loved the level design as a whole for DmC. I enjoyed the lessened emphasis on backtracking, despite how much I actually did miss some of the puzzles. I honestly thought Devil May Cry 4's sun dial puzzle was a stroke of genius, but I suppose I'm an outlier in that belief.

4. Upgrades - One new implementation within DmC I adored was it's new Upgrade system. While little is altered from the previous games (you can still purchase new moves and items with the different points you have, etc), there were a few new components added that made DmC far more replayable than it was. For example, the simple addition of giving the player a choice in whether or not they want a new move they've purchased activated, as to prevent this move from being accidentally initiated during combat. Simple thing like this add layers of complexity that I really appreciate.

5. Vergil's Downfall - I'm going to be honest: I preferred Vergil's Downfall to the main campaign. I enjoyed the story more, the combat, the engrossing gothic scenery, the enemies and bosses, as well as Vergil himself. Vergil controls so well in this DLC that it was hard for me to go back to playing as Dante. While Dante has a larger quantity of abilites, Vergil's moveset feels far more refined and fluid, which I believe was the point. Every action feels punctual, precise, especially in the hands of a skilled player, which is exactly what I wanted from Vergil in Devil May Cry 3. Honestly, if it's true that Vergil in Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition will obtain many abilities from his DmC counterpart, then we're in for a treat.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
  1. I like the concept, I did like the idea that demons are amongst us, influencing us from a dimension parallel to our own. Kinda reminded me of Supernatural's concept of the Apocalypse (Lots of storms, disease spreading, it was very subtle)
  2. I like some of the tweaks. The levels have multiple save points, we have a fully movable camera, and a practice room
  3. I kinda like the character designs. They're not my favorites. But I gotta give them credit, they did design Dante and Vergil to look like real people, and though I didn't like his new demon form, I like that they gave Mundus a human form
  4. The animation and movements in the DE. IMO the cutscenes were not fully rendered and the attack animations were choppy in the original PS3 version. Though, again imo, the DE on PS4 seems to have rectified that
  5. I also enjoyed the soundtrack

Last edited:
Top Bottom