• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Three reviewers talk about DmC

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
if a game is fun then they successfully completed their job as game developers

That's true, but it also depends on their goal. If they just want to do the absolute minimum, they'll create a fun game and that would be the end of it. To me, a game being fun is just the first step, because you don't have a game if it's not fun. If games aren't fun in general, they aren't games. Like with Fable III. A lot of that game's quests were considered part of the game, or games in themselves. But they were hardly fun, or not even fun at all. They were chores.

I doubt any game developer's goal is only to provide people with fun games.

AlchemistFromEden

That's true, but it also depends on their goal. If they just want to do the absolute minimum, they'll create a fun game and that would be the end of it. To me, a game being fun is just the first step, because you don't have a game if it's not fun. If games aren't fun in general, they aren't games. Like with Fable III. A lot of that game's quests were considered part of the game, or games in themselves. But they were hardly fun, or not even fun at all. They were chores.

I doubt any game developer's goal is only to provide people with fun games.
tell a good story, make sure players are immersed and care about what they are doing and know why, make sure players are having fun, make enough money to supply gamers with more of what you spent thousands of hours developing, this is what game developers want to do, all the time

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
tell a good story, make sure players are immersed and care about what they are doing and know why, make sure players are having fun, make enough money to supply gamers with more of what you spent thousands of hours developing, this is what game developers want to do, all the time

Tell a good story, or even a legend. Yes, exactly.
And also, to establish something to make people remember you by.

And this is why plot is so important for many games. Of course, I can still enjoy games that aren't story-heavy, including online multiplayer games. Hell, that's how games started out, really. I still respect that.

Anyway, back on topic, I guess :p

WorkenOnMaLeft

tumblr_lvt65nEiz81qibs0no1_250.gif
Psych is a wonderfull series, that is all.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
DMC3 may be the flashy one of the series, but without DMC1 starting the series, DMC3 wouldn't even see the light of day.

It doesn't matter whether subjective or objective. It's a game that did it's thing and did it pretty well to some people then others which gives it a 9/10. I don't agree either to such high scores, but that's just how the reviewer liked it.
Am I the only one who likes the first Devil May Cry the most out of them all? I'm rather surprised how the original that started it off gets so little love. For a person who's been playing this series since day 1 the original vision for DMC will always be from that first game and how DMC should be (when we're talking about the original series because I felt also DmC set out and accomplished for the most part what their intention was based on the idea of its inception)

While I enjoyed DMC 3 (which was a reboot in its own right) as much as the rest of them, I hated the complete retardation they added to the character of Dante and Vergil was such a crappy villain. Vergil was supposed to be dead too. I also was never a fan of this forced style system. You can still add a lot of variety to your combat without restricting you to a certain set of moves. DmC proved that and is a very encouraging building block of where to work from here on out. I don't want to see that stupid style system ever again.

Martius

SSSmokin!
Am I the only one who likes the first Devil May Cry the most out of them all? I'm rather surprised how the original that started it off gets so little love. For a person who's been playing this series since day 1 the original vision for DMC will always be from that first game and how DMC should be (when we're talking about the original series because I felt also DmC set out and accomplished for the most part what their intention was based on the idea of its inception)
While i like dmc3 for its great gameplay and crazy style i like dmc1 also for its style. Its more toned down but it is still good mix. I just wonder how sequel would look if it was made by Kamiya team.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I do find some standards a bit odd. A lot of people, even reviewers, seem to think that if a game is fun, that's enough to award it a high grade. At least, that's what I noticed. You wouldn't believe how often you read: ''I liked it. It was fun. 9/10''. It sounds like a child's reasoning. There's still some standards, you know; something to base it on. And if you liked it a lot, why would you even grade it? A grade implies (to me) that there's a scale, obviously; a scale that's meant to be shown to your audience, not to yourself. And your audience does not like the same things you like, especially since every person is unique. I have a lot of like-minded friends, but nobody agrees with me completely when I grade things. Which is logical, since everybody has different values. So why grade video games in the first place? It's not a math test.

Though I can understand it's a way to concisely show whether the game's good, instead of saying ''it's really good'' all the time.

You sound like the type that wants everything perfect and symmetrical.:p

But I really don't think reviewers only look at if its fun. Reviewers actually do look at other aspecs of games (DmC), but what's the point of a game if it isn't fun? So if they had fun, then obviously that's the big drive with the game which goes hand in hand with design, enviornment, music, and feel. If a person had a great time with it, then it's gonna get a 9/10 with them.

Funny you bring this up, because I remember KillerIsDeadForReal doing a review on I think DMC3 or DMC4, and you told him that the review wasn't "professional". You don't have to be some professional game guru to know a fun game when you play it.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Am I the only one who likes the first Devil May Cry the most out of them all?
Not even a little bit. Fo& all it's follies I've stock with the series not because of 3 but the original, because I still hope that someday there'll be a sequel that will replicate the original's spirit and personality.

EvilX-81

It's not my favorite, but it does have a special spot with me. Something about it's combination of aspects was really charming... with the exception of Dante's horrendously executed jokes and attitude when he's not being serious. Unlike the later Dante's, DMC1 Dante had near ZERO charisma in his voice to pull off the crappy "witty" lines and the "cool" personality he was supposed to portray.

On mission 3 when he's confronted by the lava spider boss, he says;

"I hope for your sake you have something in that big body of yours."

WHAT THE F**K IS THAT EVEN SUPPOSED TO MEAN.

While I enjoyed DMC 3 (which was a reboot in its own right) as much as the rest of them, I hated the complete retardation they added to the character of Dante and Vergil was such a crappy villain. Vergil was supposed to be dead too. I also was never a fan of this forced style system. You can still add a lot of variety to your combat without restricting you to a certain set of moves. DmC proved that and is a very encouraging building block of where to work from here on out. I don't want to see that stupid style system ever again.

I dunno, when the reveal came I didn't think he was supposed to be seen as a villain any longer; Arkham was supposed to be that.

Not even a little bit. Fo& all it's follies I've stock with the series not because of 3 but the original, because I still hope that someday there'll be a sequel that will replicate the original's spirit and personality.

I remember the first time I payed the game and saw the puppet soldiers. I knew they were going to come alive, but seeing them there creeped me out, and going into new areas was intimidating. They certainly nailed the RE side of the game down on the first one.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
It's not my favorite, but it does have a special spot with me. Something about it's combination of aspects was really charming... with the exception of Dante's horrendously executed jokes and attitude when he's not being serious. Unlike the later Dante's, DMC1 Dante had near ZERO charisma in his voice to pull off the crappy "witty" lines and the "cool" personality he was supposed to portray.

I dunno, when the reveal came I didn't think he was supposed to be seen as a villain any longer; Arkham was supposed to be that.

I remember the first time I payed the game and saw the puppet soldiers. I knew they were going to come alive, but seeing them there creeped me out, and going into new areas was intimidating. They certainly nailed the RE side of the game down on the first one.
That comeback to the spider demon made sense to me. He's a demon bounty hunter and Dante was telling him basically that if you pick a fight with me you're going to die and I hope I can make a little cash off you because of it. Not hard to get. I picked up that people actually bought goods made from demon similar to how people make money off on animals. That's what I liked about the DMC 1 Dante. I got the sense he was cocky but he was more subtle about it and was more chilled. In DMC 3 and 4 he was seriously just stupid. He thinks he's cooler than he really is and was just a dork in your face of how dorky he can be. When I was 19, I wasn't retarded. The stuff he said wasn't funny and was all just dumb. About the only thing I liked that he said in 3 was telling that giant dog demon how he's be good in a dog show and also channeled Bruce before the fight.

It's about time Devil May Cry gets some people who will write real jokes and actually witty punch lines for the character because Dante just being completely retarded isn't funny or charming. It's annoying and lame. If you're going to add intentional campyness then you need to execute it better. I adore Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness for that because they are very self aware and have a death grip on their camp and cheese making it completely freaking awesome for it. DMC sort of came of as a series that had half the people wanting to get serious and the other half wanting to stay cartoony and met each other half way. Capcom never knew what to do with the series and that's why you have such a shift in tones from the 1st DMC to 2 then 3.

As for Vergil he was always just very weak and stupid to me. The DmC Vergil is better than that weirdo with a hard on for swords any day because he actually has more of a freaking personality. The dude was so one dimensional and boring that I don't get why he's so popular. And his outfit was stupid as hell. Looked like some weird pirate. I think the fan's perception of these characters make them better to them than they actually are because they were all about as deep as a kiddie pool to begin with.

DragonMaster2010

That comeback to the spider demon made sense to me. He's a demon bounty hunter and Dante was telling him basically that if you pick a fight with me you're going to die and I hope I can make a little cash off you because of it. Not hard to get. I picked up that people actually bought goods made from demon similar to how people make money off on animals. That's what I liked about the DMC 1 Dante. I got the sense he was cocky but he was more subtle about it and was more chilled. In DMC 3 and 4 he was seriously just stupid. He thinks he's cooler than he really is and was just a dork in your face of how dorky he can be. When I was 19, I wasn't retarded. The stuff he said wasn't funny and was all just dumb. About the only thing I liked that he said in 3 was telling that giant dog demon how he's be good in a dog show and also channeled Bruce before the fight.

It's about time Devil May Cry gets some people who will write real jokes and actually witty punch lines for the character because Dante just being completely retarded isn't funny or charming. It's annoying and lame. If you're going to add intentional campyness then you need to execute it better. I adore Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness for that because they are very self aware and have a death grip on their camp and cheese making it completely freaking awesome for it. DMC sort of came of as a series that had half the people wanting to get serious and the other half wanting to stay cartoony and met each other half way. Capcom never knew what to do with the series and that's why you have such a shift in tones from the 1st DMC to 2 then 3.

As for Vergil he was always just very weak and stupid to me. The DmC Vergil is better than that weirdo with a hard on for swords any day because he actually has more of a freaking personality. The dude was so one dimensional and boring that I don't get why he's so popular. And his outfit was stupid as hell. Looked like some weird pirate. I think the fan's perception of these characters make them better to them than they actually are because they were all about as deep as a kiddie pool to begin with.

Ok, I draw the line at making fun of DMC3 Dante.

DMC3 Dante was actually a fun Dante too. He was suppose to be the goofy asshole who talked stupid crap and do stupid things. That's just how he was created as. He was the stereotypical anime cocky hotheaded pretty boy who shows off and talks sh!t. He's like Masamune Date from Sengoku Basara with the party references and the over the top action both do. But near the end of DMC3, Dante decided that even though he was going to be a party loving, douchebag who talked stupid sh!t, he was at least going to protect the Earth and have a responsibility to do as well.

And Vergil, yeah he was one minded in DMC3 and was just "the opposite of Dante" but that's what made him special. He was never intended to be deep, but to be badass and evil, while also having and small caring for his brother either way. His lust for power was dumb though since he just wanted power just to have it, but still he cared class, no honor, and was a great swordsman, which in Devil May Cry wins you points.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Ok, I draw the line at making fun of DMC3 Dante.

DMC3 Dante was actually a fun Dante too. He was suppose to be the goofy asshole who talked stupid crap and do stupid things. That's just how he was created as. He was the stereotypical anime cocky hotheaded pretty boy who shows off and talks sh!t. He's like Masamune Date from Sengoku Basara with the party references and the over the top action both do. But near the end of DMC3, Dante decided that even though he was going to be a party loving, douchebag who talked stupid sh!t, he was at least going to protect the Earth and have a responsibility to do as well.

And Vergil, yeah he was one minded in DMC3 and was just "the opposite of Dante" but that's what made him special. He was never intended to be deep, but to be badass and evil, while also having and small caring for his brother either way. His lust for power was dumb though since he just wanted power just to have it, but still he cared class, no honor, and was a great swordsman, which in Devil May Cry wins you points.
Well if you think DMC 3 Dante was good then that's you because that idiot made me miss the DMC 2 version, he was quiet. Dante wasn't cool and was just dumb. Vergil was lame and I've seen better villains. He still looked stupid too. I don't watch really Sengoku Basara but when I did watch a few episodes I hated it as well so comparing him to a character from that show isn't going to make me get some context.

DragonMaster2010

Well if you think DMC 3 Dante was good then that's you because that idiot made me miss the DMC 2 version, he was quiet. Dante wasn't cool and was just dumb. Vergil was lame and I've seen better villains. He still looked stupid too. I don't watch really Sengoku Basara but when I did watch a few episodes I hated it as well so comparing him to a character from that show isn't going to make me get some context.

Sengoku Basara was a game first.

DMC2 Dante for me, only had a cool outfit, and I liked the way his sword looked. DMC3 Dante wasn't really cool but just dorky and campy, but it was the fun kind of dorky and campy. Vergil, like I said, was lame but he had style and class.

But if that's how you see them, then that's all good with me.

At least we can both agree what Devil may cry was the failure of all of them. *cough*DMC4*cough*:troll:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Sengoku Basara was a game first.

DMC2 Dante for me, only had a cool outfit, and I liked the way his sword looked. DMC3 Dante wasn't really cool but just dorky and campy, but it was the fun kind of dorky and campy. Vergil, like I said, was lame but he had style and class.

But if that's how you see them, then that's all good with me.

At least we can both agree what Devil may cry was the failure of all of them. *cough*DMC4*cough*:troll:
Yes.

berto

I Saw the Devil

Ah, well, Dante was mocking the demon.

Crashing through the skylight of the cathedral,
a gigantic monster looking part spider and part
scorpion drops down right in front of Dante.
Glancing at the much smaller Dante, it gloats over
its greatness while sneering and ridiculing Dante.
The fires of hell bubble up through openings in its
shell-like skin. However, Dante senses the stupidity
beneath this hideous exterior. The ability to think
clearly is most important for this fight.

Not that complicated. It's just like that 'Fu@# you!' 'Fu@# you!' 'Fu@# you!' scene but with a little more... thought... into it.

EvilX-81

Never knew anything about the demon crafting for money. I mean I remember it being mentioned offhand occasionally in DMC4. Still, it could have been clearer to me. He just talks about hoping there's something solid in his body, I figured the spider was going to drop a trinket for me to advance and the game was being a little self-referencial. But then IIRC he drops nothing... and besides that, in a world of demons and magic, I didn't take that people needed something solid to craft demon weapons out of if they at least have some of it's body in some manner or another. Meh. Line is still crap IMO, though less than before.

I more or less agree with DMC3/4 Dantes, particularly 3. They overdosed him on "cool" in that game, though I see him progressing somewhat in his maturity with his confrontations with Lady. Still, I think DMC1 Dante's image was spiked by cheesy delivery and sometimes cheesy mannerisms. The DMC1 personality just doesn't hold up today, though I think we're all behind the desire for a Dante with a right mixture of corniness, seriousness, and genuine humor.

Honestly it could have stayed DMC2 serious if they didn't have a witty enough writer with them. He didn't talk much in that game, but at least when he did, it did actually get a chuckle out of me, like when he met and beat Arius.

"King? Here's your crown." Simple statement, simple execution, but stupidly cool when he follows up by shooting the guy through the window like an action flick. If you can't do comedy, then simply DON'T DO IT, or at least keep it to a minimum of choice lines.

As for Vergil he was always just very weak and stupid to me. The DmC Vergil is better than that weirdo with a hard on for swords any day because he actually has more of a freaking personality. The dude was so one dimensional and boring that I don't get why he's so popular. And his outfit was stupid as hell. Looked like some weird pirate.

I did hate the boots, and the washboard-like shirt. The long coat though is always nice, along with the possibly too-long sword and super saiyan hairstyle. Did see a cool picture where Vergil wore that coat, with a somewhat business suit like attire. Was pretty baws IMO.

I think the fan's perception of these characters make them better to them than they actually are because they were all about as deep as a kiddie pool to begin with.

That and most of the information for his otherwise unknown motivations coming from outside of the games. Urgh. Frustrating. There's a lot of potential for Vergil in DMC3. but it's just never explored, and it seemed like half the time DMC3 was being cryptic for the sake of .. something, I dunno.

Meh, it was okay, until I started hearing that nonsense about boss battles being archaic and how you can't use all your techniques on Vergil. The whole anti boss vibe from any critic really drives me nuts. I like bosses even if they're easy, yes, ideally I'd like them to be both challenging in addition to be visually spectacular, but even if they're only one of the two that is better than no boss at all. And the whole we had trouble with Vergil, and the game was giving me SSS on normal difficulty, still bothers me. What would you want the game to do, I remember Sessler hating on Hitman absolution because of how it gave you negative points, so a game addresses that in a smart way, and now, its like oh its too easy on an easy difficulty to get SSS.

But like I said, I know its positive, but to me the way it casually dismisses some things about the game that I find to be the primary reason that it is a good game makes me question the value of such a discussion.

Top Bottom