• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Thoughts on Vergil after seeing VD.

S.F.W

King of Hearts
Shinji throws a emo fit and destroys the world. Fans debate whether all the symbolism meant something or was just pretty pictures.

I detail my feelings on NGE here:

If you don't want to watch the video, quick summation: **** NGE
I used to think that series was pretty cool with all the symbolism and stuff. But then you realize the creator put it in there because it sounded cool and had almost no idea what he was talking about. People give him too much credit.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Most of thinsg was Anno has just gotten out of some serious therapy for massive depression issues, and he's been in a phase where he was questioning the worth of living, let alone if mankind was worth trying to save...Shinji kind'a became a soapbox for him toward the end when production budgets got slashed to almost nothing and they still had to finish the series.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
So, that "off his meds" joke I made was right?

God, I feel like an asshole.

Still hate NGE

...yeah, actually, pretty accurate. At least you didn't say he needed to die, he got THAT in spades after the originally produced ending.

And yeah, NGE isn't a taste for everyone. I like it, but I recognize it's flaws...and lack of depth that a lot of fans try to say is there in the kabalist symbolism that really is not. But hey, at least I got a hot redhead piloting a mecha! XD

YamatoWielder

Protector of Mankind
Most of things was Anno has just gotten out of some serious therapy for massive depression issues, and he's been in a phase where he was questioning the worth of living, let alone if mankind was worth trying to save...Shinji kind'a became a soapbox for him toward the end when production budgets got slashed to almost nothing and they still had to finish the series.

I've watched Evangelion back then and I thought it was cool due to the mecha fights but there is something more than that but I don't really get it back then.

I've read that during EVA's time, Hideki Anno is totally depressed during that time, not to mention the death threats that he received due to the last two episodes (the very why End of Evangelion) and I think he is one of the few directors who criticized the "otaku" lifestyle. It's more like a parody of the Super Robot genre, as someone told me.

My friend said that if you watch the Rebuild of Evangelion films, what you think about the series is wrong, dead wrong. It seems it reflects more about Anno's present life: he seemed happy, he got married and had a family of his own. And oh, who would forget Mari Makinami? Correct me if I'm wrong: is Rebuild more like lighthearted?

berto

I Saw the Devil
After watching the whole thing I can't say that I am impressed.

It seems that indeed Dante isn't emo, Vergil is. The story was rushed and the 'fall' was rushed, which is a shame because it was going places. The concept was there but it just failed in so many places. A lot of it came off a phony or lacking in dramatic delivery and timing and that made it less than original. Vergil goes from 'I wanted to be your savior, I'm sorry' to 'hey mom, I killed my brother and your tears are delicious' with in like two chapters.

Six chapters are not enough for this story but maybe that's for the best since, as good as the actual story is, what I saw just isn't something I would associate with 'the best storytellers in the gaming industry.'

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
A new sequel has begun.

Dante's gonna have to save his brother from himself somehow.

Romy

The biggest irony here is that the haters called Dante emo when Vergil is actually the one who is being controlled by such etiquette.

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
The biggest irony here is that the haters called Dante emo when Vergil is actually the one who is being controlled by such etiquette.

I still find amazing how someone can call Dante emo, he looks nothing like this:

emo-20110415-170821.jpg

zarion

I think Vergil is justified in his grudge against Dante. Though I wonder what became of Vergil's heart in the end.

Winterfrost

Shadow-of-Sundered-Star
Cliche as hell, character development I mean. Was me being told Ninja theory are top notch writers a ruse?
Actually they are, Enslaved and Heavenly Sword was written by different people in Ninja Theory.
...this was written by Tameem.
You seeee?
Also, every DMC ended in a cliche. :l
Actually most games end in stupid cliche...

Ters

The storytelling Ninja Theory gets so much praise for actually comes from their outsourced writing

the only games they've produced that were written in-house were DmC and... Kung Fu Chaos.

http://www.youtube . com/watch?v=7du0v1fa2Hg&t=1m17s

Winterfrost

Shadow-of-Sundered-Star
So cliche it's original, look I'm not bashing this DLC I like it, I love the gameplay it looks much better than Dante's
My expectations were probably just too high when I was expecting something amazing to come out of the story.
I haven't even spoiled it for myself, I just look at gameplay, and nothing of the ending.
and I'm not criticizing you for thinking that, btw.
I just have to see for myself is all. Although Vergil looks more uhm..what's the word? Confined? No..I think..not sure. Like Dante has more movement, but Vergil is faster I guess.

Romy

I still find amazing how someone can call Dante emo, he looks nothing like this:

emo-20110415-170821.jpg

Well, people are ignorant and don't know the exact meaning of the word "emo". Being emo and being a teenage punk with an arrogant attitude are two very different things. Haters gonna hate, you know.

Top Bottom