• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Thoughts on Vergil after seeing VD.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
So there you have it. In DmC Vergil basically tells his mother to go to hell while in DMC, she is the reason he became an a-hole. Too much difference, they could've increased the connection between reboot and old series.

But then it wouldn't be called a REBOOT now would it?;)

Zato-OW

King
But what was Vergil going to use that power for? Conquer the world? Protect it? Revenge? Create a demon power monopoly on hording all the great power he could seek out? Start devil hunting some elite demon bigwigs he couldn't take down without? Wait, that last one could be kinda interesting...
Well lets see, if he wants to walk in his fathers path then obviously we know why he wanted Sparda's power. What does he tell Dante "Might controls everything and without strength you cannot protect anything". He most likely wanted to destroy the demon world seeing as he instantly went to attack Mundus when he appeared before Vergil. Dante and Vergil's goals are the same but they both walk opposite paths towards this goal. Vergil chooses power(Sparda's demonic side) while Dante chose compassion/love(Sparda's emotions for humans). Dante realized this by the end of the game which is why he questioned Vergil's motives if he was truly walking the path of their father since it was something Sparda would never do putting people lives in danger just for power.

Romy

Well lets see, if he wants to walk in his fathers path then obviously we know why he wanted Sparda's power. What does he tell Dante "Might controls everything and without strength you cannot protect anything". He most likely wanted to destroy the demon world seeing as he instantly went to attack Mundus when he appeared before Vergil. Dante and Vergil's goals are the same but they both walk opposite paths towards this goal. Vergil chooses power(Sparda's demonic side) while Dante chose compassion/love(Sparda's emotions for humans). Dante realized this by the end of the game which is why he questioned Vergil's motives if he was truly walking the path of their father since it was something Sparda would never do putting people lives in danger just for power.

I agree. But to make it sound much more simple, Dante wants to protect the world allowing humans freedom while Vergil wants the same but through submission. Politically, Dante is a democrat, and Vergil is a totalitarian. :D

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
I agree. But to make it sound much more simple, Dante wants to protect the world allowing humans freedom while Vergil wants the same but through submission. Politically, Dante is a democrat, and Vergil is a totalitarian. :D

Wouldn't that make Dante more libritarian? since Democrats are about "government takes care of everyone, because they're too stupid and lazy to do it themselves". Or at least that;'s how it's been as of late.

Romy

Wouldn't that make Dante more libritarian? since Democrats are about "government takes care of everyone, because they're too stupid and lazy to do it themselves". Or at least that;'s how it's been as of late.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I stand corrected.

Romy

Though, gotta say that the last cutscene in VD definitely makes Vergil more of a tyrant than a totalitarian. You could see that his corruption probably drove him to the point where he doesn't realize that he wants to "protect the world" through fear and violence.

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
Or they simply let the fans to work their imagination. Which most don't like. Handing something on a plate is much more simpler.
False, It was pure lazyness, there's not a single. well-presented clue that let's you create your own judgement on Vergil. he's just a one dimentional character with "Cool" one-liners that fans take way too seriously in an attempt to give their favorite character a meaningful role.

All of this coming from an Evangelion Fan, where characters where not one dimentional, they don't explain sh*t. But they give you actual clues and crucial information during the story to help you make your own judgement on the finale, and If all that fails they give you a F**ING book with all that information (but no explanations).

THAT is actually making fans use their imaginations. DMC doesn't, not in the slightest. If it did, I would be defending it with you.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
THAT is actually making fans use their imaginations. DMC doesn't, not in the slightest. If it did, I would be defending it with you.

Hats off...including an odd Bowler/Fedora Hybrid. Vergil in DMC honestly was a painfully one dimensional character in DMC3; he wanted power for power's sake. It took A FIGHTING GAME to give the afterthought that he was that way because of his self loathing of his percieved weakness in being unable to save his mother. At least DmC gave some background story to Vergil and tried to give depth, even if it might not have worked too well. They at least TRIED.

Domenic93

False, It was pure lazyness, there's not a single. well-presented clue that let's you create your own judgement on Vergil. he's just a one dimentional character with "Cool" one-liners that fans take way too seriously in an attempt to give their favorite character a meaningful role.

All of this coming from an Evangelion Fan, where characters where not one dimentional, they don't explain sh*t. But they give you actual clues and crucial information during the story to help you make your own judgement on the finale, and If all that fails they give you a F**ING book with all that information (but no explanations).

If you like Neon Genesis Evangelin you have no right to talk about characters being one dimensional, I mean who's bright Idea was it to let theShinji Ikari, The emo kid with daddy issues, who masturbated to Auska's comatose body, and decide the fate of the world, who has MASSIVE SELF LOATHING COMPLEX,
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt...don-neon-genesis-evangelion-death-and-rebirth
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/the-sage/anime-abandon/37726-anime-abandon-the-end-of-evangelion

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
If you like Neon Genesis Evangelin you have no right to talk about characters being one dimensional, I mean who's bright Idea was it to let theShinji Ikari, The emo kid with daddy issues, who masturbated to Auska's comatose body, and decide the fate of the world, who has MASSIVE SELF LOATHING COMPLEX,
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/the-sage/anime-abandon/37726-anime-abandon-the-end-of-evangelion
...the fans who decided it was proper to send hate mail and death threats, ad well as tag Gainax studios with "YOu will Die Anno" in response to how Eva had originally ended. That's who.

EvilX-81

...the fans who decided it was proper to send hate mail and death threats, ad well as tag Gainax studios with "YOu will Die Anno" in response to how Eva had originally ended. That's who.

While we're on this moment of thread derail, could someone give me the cliffnotes of the EVA ending debacle?

Devil Player

I really liked the ending, but it seems that they're trying to mimic DMC 3, or at least, they're implying that a sequel may go through this route...

Vergil from DMC 3 actually controlled demons. Remember how that Hell Vanguard came to beg for his second chance, lol. Then, he simply killed the monster that failed to defeat Dante after mission 2.

Now, Vergil from DmC seems to have power to control the demons. The sequel is basically going to be a reboot version of DMC 3. Vergil will probably find a human ( sorcerer, wizard) who seeks the demon power. Vergil will try to discover more about Sparda. He'll need Sparda's power to complete her quest against Dante.

So, we'll probably have that human guy trying to help Vergil, but he may betray Vergil, by stealing Sparda's power. Meanwhile, several random monster attacks start to hit the cities. That's when Dante starts his business, without knowing the attacks are Vergil's orders.

They can make something interesting for a sequel, I believe...

Domenic93

While we're on this moment of thread derail, could someone give me the cliffnotes of the EVA ending debacle?
watch the first video Death and rebirth in my post, he talks about it, basically it's basically comes down to all of the characters being inside shinji's mind talking to him about individual and humanity or something like that, but it all ends with the characters all saying congradulations to shinji one at a time

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
Shinji throws a emo fit and destroys the world. Fans debate whether all the symbolism meant something or was just pretty pictures.

I detail my feelings on NGE here:

If you don't want to watch the video, quick summation: **** NGE

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
watch the first video Death and rebirth in my post, he talks about it, basically it's basically comes down to all of the characters being inside shinji's mind talking to him about individual and humanity or something like that, but it all ends with the characters all saying congradulations to shinji one at a time
That was the original Ending to Eva. Death and Rebirth was a recap/compression of the series, and then End of Eva was what happened in teh realm world when SEELE and the UN go apeshit on NERV, start killing everyone, and ingnite 3rd Impact...with Shinji deciding wether to give humanity a chance, or f**k them all and restart...which seemed to be implied what happened to kick start the Rebuild universe.

S.F.W

King of Hearts
I definitely like the new corrupted look. It is a reference to the Original Vergil and serves as another look at his twisted nature (Dopplegangers switch up). His motives, while childish, a are MAJOR improvement to the Original Vergils motives which was pure fan speculation. Going from the line, "Might controls everything, and without power, you cannot protect anyone, let alone yourself." is too vague. If you think he's referring to his mother, well then it wouldn't make sense. She's dead, and Vergil was established as cold and calculating warrior who only lusted for power. That would imply he wants power to protect someone, but who would he protect? The idea of regret never set well with me, because that's too... tragic, heartfelt maybe. Power for powers sake is 2nd best, and following in his fathers footsteps is more of a incomplete piece to the puzzle. Too much speculation and not enough answers. This Vergils backstory and downfall however, ties up nicely.
Combat wise, it was fun for a little bit but then lost its edge after Vergil changed.

Jane Sweetbee

Vergil's Downfall sealed the deal... I don't like they story for DmC. It's alright, but it just feels forced. It's as if they have 'Vergil = bad" on the drawing board, and here is Vergil's Downfall to fulfill that idea in only 6 missions, which is barely enough to see Vergil change. Same with DmC... I felt like there just wasn't enough cutscene time to see the characters develop.
I do indeed like DMC3's story just due to the assumptions I could make.... but....

Their route to make Vergil evil was the worst possible outcome I could have expected... Even in DMC3 it's safe to say that was no in no way evil... well, he was no worst than Dante. I like to assume that if he never became a puppet, he would have helped humanity and saved the earth at its darkest hour. In DMC1 he was a puppet, so he wasn't exactly evil there either. That's a main reason that I dislike it. It's also so rushed... the doppelganger just shows up and its like "do this", and Vergil is like "Ok".
I would have liked to see Vergil fight the doppelganger, and still believe he could bring Dante to his side. To protect humanity together, since that's what he wanted to do, no? Or, to the very least have Eva put some sense into him. I just didn't get his change... for a smart guy, he sure acted stupid by ignoring everything logical (Kat, and Eva's parts for example).
Actually, just the fact that he listened to a fake version of himself was pretty ridiculous imo.

Just my two cents... I'm not happy with it, but the gameplay is what matters I guess.

I think the main reason is Dante did kill him. He soul was then in a real limbo. He has no other way to escape the death except fully embracing the darkness. Because he was wounded, his humanity was so weak that cannot resist his darkness any more. Finally, his darkness absorbs his humanity, turning him into a real demon. VD's storyline is legit.

Top Bottom