• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Thoughts on Vergil after seeing VD.

Romy

Hey guys, I've just seen the whole 6 missions on Youtube and like to point out a few stuff. Those that didn't watch it yet, don't read the rest of the post if you don't like spoilers. :)

The story - as much as I liked Vergil in the main story, I can't say the same for now. Basically, he's suffering from a major inferiority complex caused by his brother. Now, if you compare that reason for his downfall to the previous DMC reasons, this one's just ridiculous. He's acting out like some teenager who didn't get enough attention as a child (which I'm sure it's not true). Here he dismisses everyone and everything. The scene with Eva was just too harsh which is totally opposite to old DMC in which he basically wanted power because he was too weak to protect his mother. I like the older version a lot better than this one. Here he's a new type of Mundus, evil out of his ****ing mind with no possible chance of redemption whatsoever. However, I'm liking the new corrupted look. It fits with his new diabolical attitude and the aesthetics of his appearance are just amazing. Also, I noticed that Dante said a reference in which HE is the older brother which I don't get because Vergil was the older one in previous DMCs and that fit a lot better.

The combat - one major disappointment for me was the lack of the old Aerial Rave look. That move was just awesome, damage-wise and aesthetics wise. Here, it's basically nowhere to be seen. The spiral swords are too slow compared to the old ones. Maybe you can upgrade their speed through out the play but I didn't notice it watching the videos. Judgment cut is awesome on the other had, similar to the one from DMC4 but even better and has a few more ways of execution. Overall, the combat is fluid and a lot faster than Dante's but I still like the old Vergil combat system better.

To summarize, I'm satisfied with the combat mechanics and the way they made him look, specially in corrupted version, but the story of him literally becoming a tyrant even more horrible than Mundus is not something I like. I liked how there was always a speck of a chance for redemption for the old Vergil, but this one hit the bottom of the bottomless evil. Can't wait to play it. :D

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
Could you please elaborate on what exactly was OG Vergil´s motives?

Cause as far as I remember, everything it´s all just fan speculation. In game all I saw was "PWR!!! PWR!!"

Romy

Could you please elaborate on what exactly was OG Vergil´s motives?

Cause as far as I remember, everything it´s all just fan speculation. In game all I saw was "PWR!!! PWR!!"

Yeah, you're right, what I said is probably just a fan speculation but if you consider his one liners and his way of talking, you can deduct to the point where he hates himself for being weak and finds himself sort of responsible for Eva's death.

"Might controls everything, and without power, you cannot protect anyone, let alone yourself."

I believe that quote strongly suggests fan speculation to most likely be true. Because clearly, his motives differ from the motives of new Vergil.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Actually, it was MvC3 that clarified his power complex; he was so broken over being able to do nothing to save their mother, he became obsessed with power so it would not happen again...Ironically he turned into the exact same kind of person that murdered his mother in teh first place in pursuit of this

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Yeah, you're right, what I said is probably just a fan speculation but if you consider his one liners and his way of talking, you can deduct to the point where he hates himself for being weak and finds himself sort of responsible for Eva's death.

"Might controls everything, and without power, you cannot protect anyone, let alone yourself."

I believe that quote strongly suggests fan speculation to most likely be true. Because clearly, his motives differ from the motives of new Vergil.

I always thought that was an insult to Dante.

like "You're so weak Dante. How can you protect humanity if you can't even protect yourself?"

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Actually, it was MvC3 that clarified his power complex; he was so broken over being able to do nothing to save their mother, he became obsessed with power so it would not happen again...Ironically he turned into the exact same kind of person that murdered his mother in teh first place in pursuit of this

Wait a sec. So why does he want power if the person he wanted power for died? and what do you mean he wants power so that it doesn't happen again. Who's he getting power for now?

Zato-OW

King
All you have to do is pay attention to the dialog in the final fight with Dante and Vergil in DMC3. "No matter how hard you try you'll never be like father". Vergil was trying to live in his fathers shoes but he was going down a dark path to do so. His mothers death was his biggest motivation.

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
All you have to do is pay attention to the dialog in the final fight with Dante and Vergil in DMC3. "No matter how hard you try you'll never be like father". Vergil was trying to live in his fathers shoes but he was going down a dark path to do so. His mothers death was his biggest motivation.

And he says so...when? All you guys are doing are taking some quotes and trying to give them a new meaning, they might as well be snark remarks to insult Dante.

There's nothing that develops Vergil's character on the level VD does

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Wait a sec. So why does he want power if the person he wanted power for died? and what do you mean he wants power so that it doesn't happen again. Who's he getting power for now?
It;'s self lothing. Because he couldn't save her, he considers himself weak and became obsessed with becoming strong so no one could take anything from him again.

Zato-OW

King
And he says so...when? All you guys are doing are taking some quotes and trying to give them a new meaning, they might as well be snark remarks to insult Dante.
Its the plot of the game... Vergil wanted to be like his father but he lacked what Dante had. This is why Dante told Vergil "No matter how hard you try you'll never be like father". He then goes on to tell Vergil how they both shared Sparda's blood and soul which refers back to what Vergil lacked and what Dante achieved which was a heart to love as Sparda did. It even goes further when Dante ran to save Vergil from falling deeper into hell, Vergil told Dante that he was staying because it was their fathers home. More so then that, he compared himself to Sparda when Mundus showed up in his final cutscene in DMC3. Vergil's goal was to live in his fathers name, he just went down a dark path doing so while Dante walked the right path. This was the plot of DMC3. Dante choosing his path in his fathers name and Vergil choosing his.

DarkSlayer54

Vergil's Downfall sealed the deal... I don't like they story for DmC. It's alright, but it just feels forced. It's as if they have 'Vergil = bad" on the drawing board, and here is Vergil's Downfall to fulfill that idea in only 6 missions, which is barely enough to see Vergil change. Same with DmC... I felt like there just wasn't enough cutscene time to see the characters develop.
I do indeed like DMC3's story just due to the assumptions I could make.... but....

Their route to make Vergil evil was the worst possible outcome I could have expected... Even in DMC3 it's safe to say that was no in no way evil... well, he was no worst than Dante. I like to assume that if he never became a puppet, he would have helped humanity and saved the earth at its darkest hour. In DMC1 he was a puppet, so he wasn't exactly evil there either. That's a main reason that I dislike it. It's also so rushed... the doppelganger just shows up and its like "do this", and Vergil is like "Ok".
I would have liked to see Vergil fight the doppelganger, and still believe he could bring Dante to his side. To protect humanity together, since that's what he wanted to do, no? Or, to the very least have Eva put some sense into him. I just didn't get his change... for a smart guy, he sure acted stupid by ignoring everything logical (Kat, and Eva's parts for example).
Actually, just the fact that he listened to a fake version of himself was pretty ridiculous imo.

Just my two cents... I'm not happy with it, but the gameplay is what matters I guess.

Dusk Stalker

" Everybody gets a bullet!" -Axton
I found it disappointing it ain't much of a change from what they set from Dante's moves from what I have seen, its a mix of Vergil and Nero's moves(Crosslash aka Red Queen Combo C or B I forget and some others) With Drive. Not really a change:/

And with the story...I just see it as predictable basically being the same being taunted and gaining a darker power kind of story.

EvilX-81

Its the plot of the game... Vergil wanted to be like his father but he lacked what Dante had. This is why Dante told Vergil "No matter how hard you try you'll never be like father". He then goes on to tell Vergil how they both shared Sparda's blood and soul which refers back to what Vergil lacked and what Dante achieved which was a heart to love as Sparda did. It even goes further when Dante ran to save Vergil from falling deeper into hell, Vergil told Dante that he was staying because it was their fathers home. More so then that, he compared himself to Sparda when Mundus showed up in his final cutscene in DMC3. Vergil's goal was to live in his fathers name, he just went down a dark path doing so while Dante walked the right path. This was the plot of DMC3. Dante choosing his path in his fathers name and Vergil choosing his.

But what was Vergil going to use that power for? Conquer the world? Protect it? Revenge? Create a demon power monopoly on hording all the great power he could seek out? Start devil hunting some elite demon bigwigs he couldn't take down without? Wait, that last one could be kinda interesting...

Romy

So there you have it. In DmC Vergil basically tells his mother to go to hell while in DMC, she is the reason he became an a-hole. Too much difference, they could've increased the connection between reboot and old series.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Far as anyone from Capcom ever gave an indication of...power for the sake of power...they never explored his motives, really, he was written to be THAT one dimensional

Romy

Far as anyone from Capcom ever gave an indication of...power for the sake of power...they never explored his motives, really, he was written to be THAT one dimensional

Or they simply let the fans to work their imagination. Which most don't like. Handing something on a plate is much more simpler.

EvilX-81

Well, I hear all any character advancement he was going to have was scrapped in DMC4 for TEH SAAAVIIOOORR!

Top Bottom