• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The ranting thinking thread

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Now you've got me intrigued.

... ...

Whaaat? What is it? o_O I can't stand the mystery!

I was reading that some experts think that gaming gives young people Aspergers... :banghead: *headbutts wall until nosebleeds*
This is why I don't read up on stuff about Aspergers. Also, if you have Aspergers, you're more than likely to be a video game addict... how can you be a video game addict when having Aspergers means that a person has poor concentration.
And before I get flamed...I know not every person with Aspergers (or autism) is the same...
Like I said, I've never read so much BS in my life. :dead:

Sorry... *counts to 10*... *sighs*... :dead:
After the diagnosis a few months ago, I'm still learning about it and I know half of what I'm reading is :poop:. Although (like I said) no two people are the same, and I can only go by my own experiences.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
I was reading that some experts think that gaming gives young people Aspergers... :banghead: *headbutts wall until nosebleeds*
This is why I don't read up on stuff about Aspergers. Also, if you have Aspergers, you're more than likely to be a video game addict... how can you be a video game addict when having Aspergers means that a person has poor concentration.
And before I get flamed...I know not every person with Aspergers (or autism) is the same...

After the diagnosis a few months ago, I'm still learning about it and I know half of what I'm reading is :poop:. Although (like I said) no two people are the same, and I can only go by my own experiences.
Wow... experts actually think this? LOL. Yeaaah... 'experts'. I'll bet. Is this stuff from... 'Murica?

Well, people with Asperger's don't normally have poor concentration, I think. They're just chronically socially awkward, in the sense that they can lose interest quickly, don't know what to say, or might not even respond. They often obsessively stick to routines and patterns.

''Individuals with AS often have excellent auditory and visual perception. Children with ASD often demonstrate enhanced perception of small changes in patterns such as arrangements of objects or well-known images; typically this is domain-specific and involves processing of fine-grained features.'' - Wikipedia

That could indicate they might be good at certain video games. That said, Asperger's is different for everyone. Some people have trouble with spacial perception.

It's also pretty ridiculous, since most people play video games nowadays. Many people are addicted to them. I don't see how something that's hereditary can be caused by looking at a screen for a while. You can't 'contract' Asperger syndrome.
I guess it's just another thing they can use against gaming. Seriously, I have seen so much nonsense over the past year or so. There seems to be some kind of perpetual campaign against gaming. And I don't even know why anymore... their reasoning just sucks.

Last edited:

Exejpgwmv

Umm define "experts" in the context of the article.
Were they scientists that had studied in a field that deals with aspergers?

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Uuuugh... enough of this 'DMC was cliché and therefore sucked' stuff. Just because something is not innovative or very imaginative doesn't mean it's 'bad'. Writing is only bad if it doesn't work - if it doesn't have the intended effect, not enough effect, or no effect at all. Besides, when you're talking about clichés, you really can't keep DmC out of the conversation. DmC is filled with clichés just like DMC was. The only difference is, they are mainly western clichés.
It's not like DmC had far superior writing, either. Some of it was downright hilarious, some of it was so obvious it was superfluous, and the rest was alright, but nothing special. DMC3's writing was fine. If you think it was corny, that's because... well... it was. That was the whole idea of all the DMC games. That doesn't mean it's of poor quality. Opinions are opinions... why keep debating when it doesn't lead anywhere?

Exejpgwmv

Uuuugh... enough of this 'DMC was cliché and therefore sucked' stuff. Just because something is not innovative or very imaginative doesn't mean it's 'bad'. Writing is only bad if it doesn't work - if it doesn't have the intended effect, not enough effect, or no effect at all. Besides, when you're talking about clichés, you really can't keep DmC out of the conversation. DmC is filled with clichés just like DMC was. The only difference is, they are mainly western clichés.
It's not like DmC had far superior writing, either. Some of it was downright hilarious, some of it was so obvious it was superfluous, and the rest was alright, but nothing special. DMC3's writing was fine. If you think it was corny, that's because... well... it was. That was the whole idea of all the DMC games. That doesn't mean it's of poor quality. Opinions are opinions... why keep debating when it doesn't lead anywhere?
What makes you think debate doesn't lead anywhere?
Debate is the foundation of some of the most interesting threads here.
If we didn't debate opinions this site would be incredibly boring most of the time.
And finally, debate allows people to hear another person's perspective on something, and possibly even make them change their own mind about something.

(And also, personally, it's very interesting to see how much a persons way of interacting with people changes when they are in an argument.)

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
If we didn't debate, this site would be incredibly boring most of the time.
And finally, debate allows people to hear another person's perspective on something, and possibly even make them change their own mind about something.
Well, it's not that debating doesn't lead anywhere, it's that pitting one another's opinions against each other and trying to find out ''which one is correct/better'' does not lead anywhere. Opinions are opinions - you can't always change them, and they are not wrong. Debate about it would only make sense if your opinion is based on false information.

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
If we didn't debate, this site would be incredibly boring most of the time.

In the best case scenario, at any rate. Unfortunately, most of the time....well, you know how things usually turn out. ^^; Not that I'm saying it always goes belly-up; we've seen occasions where people end their civil arguments on amicable terms, though not quite as often as we should, I wager. I get what you're saying, though; debating can be healthy, if both sides are willing to be open to the perspective of one another, and when they don't toss opinion around as fact.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
In the best case scenario, at any rate. Unfortunately, most of the time....well, you know how things usually turn out. ^^; Not that I'm saying it always goes belly-up; we've seen occasions where people end their civil arguments on amicable terms, though not quite as often as we should, I wager. I get what you're saying, though; debating can be healthy, if both sides are willing to be open to the perspective of one another, and when they don't toss opinion around as fact.
Yeah, and that's exactly the problem I'm having with someone right now. It basically comes down to ''I didn't like DMC's writing, therefore it's bad and the entire game is bad because of it (for some reason). The conclusion that DMC's writing is bad because it's sometimes unimaginative or corny, does not follow logically. That said, I can understand that opinion.

Exejpgwmv

Well, it's not that debating doesn't lead anywhere, it's that pitting one another's opinions against each other and trying to find out ''which one is correct/better'' does not lead anywhere. Opinions are opinions - you can't change them, and they are not wrong. Debate about it would only make sense if your opinion is based on false information.
o_O
Um, opinions do change.
Nobody holds the same opinions forever. And I personally have had my opinions changed through debate.

Also, debating is kinda fun:laugh:

Exejpgwmv

Yeah, and that's exactly the problem I'm having with someone right now. It basically comes down to ''I didn't like DMC's writing, therefore it's bad and the entire game is bad because of it (for some reason). The conclusion that DMC's writing is bad because it's sometimes unimaginative or corny, does not follow logically. That said, I can understand that opinion.
That sounds frustrating :/
Did you try just outright telling him/her they're throwing around their opinion like it's a fact? That seems to work for me when some acts like that.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
o_O
Um, opinions do change.
Nobody holds the same opinions forever. And I personally have had my opinions changed through debate.

Also, debating is kinda fun:laugh:
I'm not saying opinions can never change - there are some types of opinions that can be changed. But I mean, this debate I was having with someone is about an opinion that can't be changed. I don't think DMC3's writing was terrible. I already know everything about it, and I know it's not bad. At least, not in my mind. And when somebody else counters that opinion by saying ''it was bad, and here's my opinion on why''... well... that's just not productive.

Yeah, debating is fun, definitely. It has changed my mind sometimes, and it's always nice to learn and grow as a person.

Last edited:

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
That sounds frustrating :/
Did you try just outright telling him/her they're throwing around their opinion like it's a fact? That seems to work for me when some acts like that.
Naah, I've tried that before with one or two other people, and it just made them angry. I don't know, maybe my reputation isn't that great or something, or they just won't take what I say seriously because they don't like me.
Or maybe I'm just terrible at wording it. That's probably it.

Anyway, I just said we should agree to disagree and move on. That was the only thing left to say.

Exejpgwmv

I'm not saying opinions can never change - there are some types of opinions that can be changed. But I mean, this debate I was having with someone is about an opinion that can't be changed. I don't think DMC3's writing was terrible. I already know everything about it, and I know it's not bad. At least, not in my mind. And when somebody else counters that opinion by saying ''it was bad, and here's my opinion on why''... well... that's just not productive.

Yeah, debating is fun, definitely. It has changed my mind sometimes, and it's always nice to learn and grow as a person.
But you just said, earlier that : "Opinions are opinions - you can't change them"
(Agree with everything else in your comment though.)

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
But you just said, earlier that : "Opinions are opinions - you can't change them"
(Agree with everything else in your comment though.)
I guess I didn't word it correctly. I was talking about certain opinions that you can't change. For example, when I say ''I like the color navy blue'', you can't say that's stupid and wrong, and that your opinion that navy blue is ugly is right. It reminds me of when people get angry about certain review scores. It's just their opinion, you know? No reason to get angry about it.

The same thing seems to be going on in that debate I had with him. He's basically saying that DmC's writing was better. That's completely subjective.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Debates don't end well because it's a matter of who backs down on their stance first, who stops opposing the other first.

Discussions, though, those are verrrry interesting. And fun. And entertaining, on this forum anyway.
*joins in headbutting*
The latest 'craze' about autism is that apparently, if you were breastfed as a baby, you're less likely to 'develop' autism.
Like it's an abnormality that just happens.

Don't believe what they say about Aspergers or Autism in the media. These 'experts' clearly know squat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom