• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The ranting thinking thread

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Another thing that's very destructive: Irrational hatred of people on the internet.

I mean, we've all done it. There's that person, or subject, or something that we just rage over and don't think about. If you read the Cracked article that I think you just read then you'll probably know what I'm talking about, because the article broaches the entitlement problem and a few others.
Yea. It was put finally in the right words.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Dog owners who think their four-legged bundle of teeth and crazy should be allowed to do whatever it pleases, regardless of the consequences. Where did this sense of entitlement come from? Because when last I looked, unless your dog behaves IMPECCABLY when off the leash, it can be reported as being dangerously out of control. Yesterday, a large excitable spaniel off the leash on a pathway jumped up at Jake and barked in his face. He is terrified of dogs anywau and this made him stagger back and scream - autism or not, any child would be freaked by a dog rushing at them and barking. The owner had a go at my son and stormed off with her dog. I mean, what the hell?? I get it if the animal is provoked or feels threatened but IT ran up to Jake, not the other way around. And the owner seemed to think we were at fault for not doing something about it.

And yet today, another dog owner with her labrador on a leash walked past Jake, saw he was frightened and actually offered to make her dog lie down on the wet pavement until Jake was calm. Now of course I didn't take her up on her kind offer but the point is, she kept her dog under control in a public place and showed consideration.

Goes to show it obviously is not that hard to do...

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Dog owners who think their four-legged bundle of teeth and crazy should be allowed to do whatever it pleases, regardless of the consequences. Where did this sense of entitlement come from? Because when last I looked, unless your dog behaves IMPECCABLY when off the leash, it can be reported as being dangerously out of control. Yesterday, a large excitable spaniel off the leash on a pathway jumped up at Jake and barked in his face. He is terrified of dogs anywau and this made him stagger back and scream - autism or not, any child would be freaked by a dog rushing at them and barking. The owner had a go at my son and stormed off with her dog. I mean, what the hell?? I get it if the animal is provoked or feels threatened but IT ran up to Jake, not the other way around. And the owner seemed to think we were at fault for not doing something about it.

And yet today, another dog owner with her labrador on a leash walked past Jake, saw he was frightened and actually offered to make her dog lie down on the wet pavement until Jake was calm. Now of course I didn't take her up on her kind offer but the point is, she kept her dog under control in a public place and showed consideration.

Man, some people! That first owner is a bloody idiot, plain and simple; the proper thing for him to do would be to apologize to you and your son for what he allowed his dog to do, not blame either of you for your completely rational reaction to the situation.

The second dog owner got it right.

In addition to this complaint, here's from the opposite side of the spectrum; having someone approach your dog and try to pet it without first consulting you. I had this happen, and my dog (who has been dead for nearly six years, at this point) reacted defensively, almost biting the person in question.

A grown man, by the way; just walking by, didn't even say hi first or anything. If he had, I would have reined her in, and let him know she was very protective of me, especially when it came to men (I actually have no idea why that was; I'd had her from a pup).

Said man had the nerve to look at me like I was in the wrong. Luckily, my dog adored kids. Again another mystery to me, but never was she more gentle, than when children were around.

All this being said? I never let her run off leash in public areas; no matter how well-mannered a dog may or may not be, it's better for the owner not to take chances; both for the sake of anyone who might get hurt by the animal, and for the animal, itself.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Man, some people! That first owner is a bloody idiot, plain and simple; the proper thing for him to do would be to apologize to you and your son for what he allowed his dog to do, not blame either of you for your completely rational reaction to the situation.
It's either that, or I've even had some owners saying their dog was just being friendly. :facepalm: In a public park with small children playing, dogs should be kept on a leash. If you can't control them and stop them from hurting or scaring people, then don't have them.

The sense of entitlement they have also gets to me. The again, this sort of attitude extends to cat owners too, who say their cat didn't mean to scratch the heck out of a child and that it was the child's fault for approaching. Cats are cute, what do you expect a child will do?

Sometimes I think people should have a test or license to make sure they are able to have a pet considering incidents like that, and the amount of animal abuse cases. Some people just shouldn't have pets at all.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Aye, I've always held the view that a dog, however intelligent, is still an animal and has instincts which can and do override training in worst case scenarios. I was taught to NEVER approach a dog that was unknown to me and the same goes for my kids too - if they want to take a closer look, they have to ask permission first from the owner.

My neighbour has a little terrier thingy called Basil - sweetest dog in the world until one morning it bit her on the face. She ummed and ahhed about having it put down but in the end she couldn't face it so she did what I believe to be the right thing and keeps Basil on a lead at all times when outside, warns people to keep away (especially kids) and voluntarily applied to have the dog placed on that register they have of dangerous dogs. He didn't have to go on it, but the fact she recognised that he had the potential to do damage even when unprovoked shows she is a responsible dog owner.

I was also taught never to pat a dog's head by reaching my hand over its face first - you know how most dogs will move their head back to keep track of your hand? Can make them bite too - and I don't blame them. I'm not a dog-lover by any stretch of the imagination but you have to respect the animal for what it is and what it can potentially do if it feels threatened and defensive.

It's a shame Jake is so frightened of dogs but he cannot calm down when around them and whilst I get that for some animals it can be distressing when a child screams, owners need to realise it is just as distressing to be jumped on and barked at by an animal that is almost the same size as you. When we had a dog, she was off the lead until people came into view and then she was snapped back onto it until they had passed - it's not a major inconvenience and saves the hassle of potential problems. We knew our dog was a vicious old thing and we didn't want a lawsuit on our hands; I don't care if a dog is "nice" or "friendly" normally - if it is out of control when unprovoked then that is the fault of the owner alone and nobody else.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Just look at all those cases of loyal family dogs suddenly mauling a baby to death or attacking a toddler. That's evidence enough to show that dogs are wild animals with instincts, and no matter how much humans want to think the dog they love so much is a loyal pet, that dog might turn one day and create a tragedy when it attacks a child.

I had a really big phobia of all dogs as a child; used to cry and run away from them. My parents put it down to a dog living near us being really aggressive and jumping at children at the park. The owners didn't bother to leash it:shifty:

I like dogs now and don't have a phobia about then at all, but I am wary around stranger's dogs or big ones that bark and jump. I just don't like being jumped on, especially as I'm quite light, so I usually end up on the floor if the dog is very big.:tongue:

Last edited:

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium

Sometimes, it's the owners that need a muzzle... Having said that, I would need to have been muzzled if she took that tone with me.

It's great to know there are responsible owners out there... even if they are few and far between.

The second dog owner got it right.

In addition to this complaint, here's from the opposite side of the spectrum; having someone approach your dog and try to pet it without first consulting you. I had this happen, and my dog (who has been dead for nearly six years, at this point) reacted defensively, almost biting the person in question.

A grown man, by the way; just walking by, didn't even say hi first or anything. If he had, I would have reined her in, and let him know she was very protective of me, especially when it came to men (I actually have no idea why that was; I'd had her from a pup).

Said man had the nerve to look at me like I was in the wrong. Luckily, my dog adored kids. Again another mystery to me, but never was she more gentle, than when children were around.

All this being said? I never let her run off leash in public areas; no matter how well-mannered a dog may or may not be, it's better for the owner not to take chances; both for the sake of anyone who might get hurt by the animal, and for the animal, itself.

I remember seeing someone with a couple of dogs in town one day which (i thought) looked like Geri & Freki from DMC2. I asked if I could touch them, the owner was surprised and let me. I wasn't there too long, but I would never have touched them without the owner's permission. That was a couple of years ago and I tend to stay away from dogs as I've been a tad scared of them since I was a kid.

Just look at all those cases of loyal family dogs suddenly mauling a baby to death or attacking a toddler. That's evidence enough to show that dogs are wild animals with instincts, and no matter how much humans want to think the dog they love so much is a loyal pet, that dog might turn one day and create a tragedy when it attacks a child.

I had a really big phobia of all dogs as a child; used to cry and run away from them. My parents put it down to a dog living near us being really aggressive and jumping at children at the park. The owner's didn't bother to leash it:shifty:

I like dogs now and don't have a phobia about then at all, but I am wary around stranger's dogs or big ones that bark and jump. I just don't like being jumped on, especially as I'm quite light, so I usually end up on the floor if the dog is very big.:tongue:

It's like my dad says, "You're sharing your home with a wolf." (He got that from a documentary about dogs).

Even in my adult years, I'm not a huge fan of dogs... and I'm allergic to them.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
If we could qualify for an assistance dog for Jake then I would still get one despite me not really liking dogs much...I think it would be good for him to have a companion who can also keep him safe when he's out and about with us. Even so, my dad had guide dogs for a while and despite all the training and whatnot, they can still go bad just like a regular dog. It's more uncommon but it can happen.

I think I'd just like him to not be afraid full stop, but we don't know anyone with a dog so we can't get him used to them.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
The sense of entitlement they have also gets to me. The again, this sort of attitude extends to cat owners too, who say their cat didn't mean to scratch the heck out of a child and that it was the child's fault for approaching. Cats are cute, what do you expect a child will do?

Sometimes I think people should have a test or license to make sure they are able to have a pet considering incidents like that, and the amount of animal abuse cases. Some people just shouldn't have pets at all.

^This! My in-laws only have one of their cats left, and fortunately, she's incredibly tolerant of my daughter (and hides when she wants to be left alone). In fact, I pretty much adore this cat, because other than the fact she likes her space, she's incredibly friendly when you approach her. When my daughter was born though, they had three cats-one of which hissed, growled, and scratched my daughter since infancy.

Now they have a male cat that practically lives with them (belongs to one of their neighbours) and while he is mostly pleasant, he's taken quite a few swipes at my daughter just for petting him (he doesn't do this to anyone but her).

I don't blame either of these last two cats for their instincts or emotional states; however, my mother-in-law's lack of logic drives me nuts. She constantly defends this cat, saying he's a "good boy".

Yeah, he's a good boy with you-but when he scratches my daughter, he needs to be gently reminded of who the alphas are...by being sent to his actual home, for starters (no seriously, they may as well adopt the damn cat; he stays with them more than at his own place, and even bullies their sweet calico that I mentioned).

I also agree that not just anyone should be allowed to get animals; pets involve money, time, and the right attitude to raise them right-not unlike parenting. If you're going to make a cat or dog a member of the family, you need to show it the proper respect it deserves, while maintaining yourself as the alpha.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
I'm a ma-hoo-sive cat lover.
When I was very young (about 3 or 4 years old), I can remember being scratched by one of our cats, it hurt like... well, something that hurt... and my parents said that it was my fault for petting the cat when it wanted to be left alone...

When Tilly wants to be left alone, she'll go upstairs and hide away (she's very 'private').
In this house I will never be an alpha... I could try to be but:
1. I'd be deluding myself
2. My parents don't listen to me, so what hope have I got with a cat lol

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I'm much more of a cat person too - to me, they are far less like kids than dogs are. I have no idea how one would be an alpha where cats are concerned, but for dogs it's a bit easier. When you have an assistance dog of any kind, you have to be trained too in being the Alpha Male of the pack (basically, head honcho in the household where the dog is concerned, at least). You supply the treats, food and toys and you also take those things away. The dog is not permitted to have anything in its bed aside from one blanket to sleep on - if it is allowed to have special possessions such as toys or sticks, that undoes the training and you have to start again. The dog also must only relieve itself in a designated area, eat when told to, obey a whistle at all times and is not allowed on furniture at any time or to beg at the table.

I think my dad just liked the ultimate authority that came with having a dog AND kids that had to obey him without question :laugh:

I have no clue how Jake would be able to be trained though, if we ever were in a position to have an autism assistance dog. I guess the trainers know what they're doing though because it's becoming more commonplace in the UK. It's a nice idea but for now that's all it is - an idea.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I'm a ma-hoo-sive cat lover.
When I was very young (about 3 or 4 years old), I can remember being scratched by one of our cats, it hurt like... well, something that hurt... and my parents said that it was my fault for petting the cat when it wanted to be left alone...

When Tilly wants to be left alone, she'll go upstairs and hide away (she's very 'private').
In this house I will never be an alpha... I could try to be but:
1. I'd be deluding myself
2. My parents don't listen to me, so what hope have I got with a cat lol

Unless they told you what the signs were of a cat who wants to be left alone, it certainly was not your fault.

Tilly sounds like Cally, in that respect; very private, removes herself from the environment instead of getting grumpy.

Lol! Cats are definitely harder to exercise authority over. ^^; If anyone has succeeded in being "Pride leader" with their felines, I don't know them.

Edit: I typed that as you made the same point, Angel; I lean more toward dogs, because I like the loyal companionship, and the fact that it's easier to read them (or so I find).

But, I can understand why you prefer cats; lower maintenance.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
Unless they told you what the signs were of a cat who wants to be left alone, it certainly was not your fault.

Tilly sounds like Cally, in that respect; very private, removes herself from the environment instead of getting grumpy.

Lol! Cats are definitely harder to exercise authority over. ^^; If anyone has succeeded in being "Pride leader" with their felines, I don't know them.

Edit: I typed that as you made the same point, Angel; I lean more toward dogs, because I like the loyal companionship, and the fact that it's easier to read them (or so I find).

But, I can understand why you prefer cats; lower maintenance.

I don't remember being told, I must've been though (although, knowing my parents, I'm not so sure) as we've always had cat(s) throughout my life...

'Cally', I like that name. :D

I'm not sure about 'Pride Leader', but Tilly see's me as something because I'm the only one she'll want a cuddle with or do that 'paw-wing thing' to.

I think cat's are high maintenance when they want to be :p

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Same here, Angel and VB. I love cats. The only thing I love more than cats are those cute gliding animals that was shown to me once in that one thread.

I can't remember the actual name of the animal, but I still want one. And a cat.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I was also taught never to pat a dog's head by reaching my hand over its face first - you know how most dogs will move their head back to keep track of your hand? Can make them bite too - and I don't blame them. I'm not a dog-lover by any stretch of the imagination but you have to respect the animal for what it is and what it can potentially do if it feels threatened and defensive.

Yeah this is good idea. Patting a dog on the head is an equivalent to a dominant dog coming over and dominating that dog, you can see it in wolf behaviour. A dog patted on the head lowers it slightly and flattens its ears, which is what a submissive wolf does when the alpha is about. Being patted for a dog like that is to be subjugated, which is fine if you're the master. Not so fine you're some random stranger and not part of the dog's 'pack'.

I got bitten by my auntie's German Shepherd when I was a kid because I was wearing a coat with a fluffy trim on the hood. The dog was fine and well trained but the woolen fluff set it off. I dunno, I just try to respect animals the same way I respect people by not barging in on them, but I suppose kids don't. I'm not sure why people think that an animal is automatically friendly or that it's fair game to touch when they see one... I've got a lot of experience animal handling and the more you deal with them the more you know it's sensible to assume the animal doesn't trust you to begin with. I do think the breed can be important too. Some dogs have a propensity for savaging the crap out of things bred into them and even if they're raised not to it'll still be lurking in there waiting for the right conditions to come out. It's amazing how you can increase or decrease positive or negative temperaments in a bloodline in just one or two generations as well with lifestyle, which has been proven with dog breeding... I guess it shows as well that it's not just the genes given at conception but experience and chemical changes that switches genes on or off during life and that get passed on.

(kind of scary thought when you apply that fact to humans...)

Last edited:

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Same here, Angel and VB. I love cats. The only thing I love more than cats are those cute gliding animals that was shown to me once in that one thread.

I can't remember the actual name of the animal, but I still want one. And a cat.

You mean a sugar glider? Prairie dogs are pretty cute, too.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I'm not sure why people think that an animal is automatically friendly or that it's fair game to touch when they see one... I've got a lot of experience animal handling and the more you deal with them the more you know it's sensible to assume the animal doesn't trust you to begin with.

I think about this whenever we take mum's service dog out anywhere. Sure she's tiny and she's got a vest that says "ask to pet me, I'm friendly!" on it, but she's a working dog. If we're just walking around, doing nothing, I get why people might ask. But I never have understood why, in the middle of a store or something, people think it's okay to hold everyone up because "oh, she's so cute!" Yeah, Sug's probably the cutest dog I've ever seen, but she's a service dog, she's with her owner, and she's, very clearly, working. Just cuz the vest says she's friendly doesn't mean people need to impede her work.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I think about this whenever we take mum's service dog out anywhere. Sure she's tiny and she's got a vest that says "ask to pet me, I'm friendly!" on it, but she's a working dog. If we're just walking around, doing nothing, I get why people might ask. But I never have understood why, in the middle of a store or something, people think it's okay to hold everyone up because "oh, she's so cute!" Yeah, Sug's probably the cutest dog I've ever seen, but she's a service dog, she's with her owner, and she's, very clearly, working. Just cuz the vest says she's friendly doesn't mean people need to impede her work.

I don't know either. I'd never just hold up say a blind person and their dog because I wanted to pet the dog... I'd not ever even think of doing that. I suppose animals are novelty for a lot of people, but if you deal with them a lot you can see how naive people can be about it. Just dealing with the horses around here at times and I'm nervous at the amount of tourists and their kids who have no concept that this gigantic animal can step on your foot and break it or even kill you with a kick. They go and try to get behind the horses, feed them the wrong way and risk getting bitten, etc.

Top Bottom