• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The odd morality.

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
OK. Let me summarize so we can end this with the quickness.

Vergil preformed an evil action. Dante questioned him,Vergil said it was a non issue. Mundas rained down an unholy fire storm opun the two, forcing them to rely on each other.

Dante can't bring up the issue, because he's curremtly being forced to trust Vergil with his life. Nothing breaks up a team like starting a debate on good and evil, in the center of the big bad's home.

Slacri

No dude, you're making up problems. You're comparing the killing of SWAT members--guys with guns who are trained to kill and do all that dirty work--to the blowing up of a schoolyard.
Okay, I'll compare it to killing a bunch of swat guys. Nero at no point watches Dante killing innocent people doing their jobs, Dante only killed generic evil demons.
Your argument would be valid if Dante asked Vergil why did he do that and actually showed some conflict with it. But he didn't,
This issue is that they presented over the top and grotesque scene and never elaborated on it at all. They shouldn't have done it if they weren't prepared to do any of it.
so it is up to YOU--yes you, not the writer, he did his job--to understand that it is a non-issue. Especially, again, because just an hour ago that crazy demon lady tried to murder you in a ploy to help the demon king who killed your mother and exiled your father and has been hunting you down all your life.
Yes, it's a non issue because the writers were too lazy to write it. Killing Lilith isn't really a big deal, killing the baby and a bunch of swat members doing this job? Yeah that's kind of a big deal.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Yes and he immediately reacts with shock and then attacks Dante. He only later teams up with him because you know, he figures out Santus is evil and kidnapped his girl.
I know. I stated that already.

How was the love plot inconsistent really? I'll be the first to admit DMC4's plot is poorly put together, and Kyrie's character is underwritten. Nero's rage scenes were tonally off, but not nearly as tonally off as demon abortion.
So really, you're just bothered about a fictional killing of a fake person and fake foetus.
As for the romance in DMC4, it was cliche and poorly written to the point of being laughable.

Slacri

They didn't have a whole talk about who had a bigger one. It was one passing comment from Vergil after a bit of brotherly joking.
They had an entire discussion during the puzzle scene, and they've been in comm communication the entire time.

Vezild

Taking Back Lordran One Boss At a Time
demon abortion.
Ahem...You're criticizing writing for being morally ambigious (which must mean flawed because heaven forbid you have to think), and yet you're saying that there's something really wrong with
demon abortion.
Do you not understand that
demon abortion.
is like...not the same as human abortion? I'm not for abortion but...
demon abortion.
is the killing of the anti-christ. Don't know about you, but I don't want the anti-christ walking among us.

Ain't nobody got time fo'that.

Slacri

So really, you're just bothered about a fictional killing of a fake person and fake foetus.
I don't wake up in cold sweats about it no. I'm just using it as a point to show how bad this game's writing is.
As for the romance in DMC4, it was cliche and poorly written to the point of being laughable.
Well much like Kat's, but the difference is it wasn't tonally inconsistent.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
They had an entire discussion during the puzzle scene, and they've been in comm communication the entire time
It was a sentence at most. The other part was about how Vergil got into hacking, and the need for control, and truth about their past.

Slacri

Ahem...You're criticizing writing for being morally ambigious (which must mean flawed because heaven forbid you have to think), and yet you're saying that there's something really wrong with Do you not understand that is like...not the same as human abortion? I'm not for abortion but... is the killing of the anti-christ. Don't know about you, but I don't want the anti-christ walking among us.

Ain't nobody got time fo'that.

Considering demons have shown the capacity in this game to not be completely evil and they have their own personalities, feeling and conscious thought yes, it's very close to human abortion. How is it okay to kill someone because they have mean parents?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
it's very close to human abortion. How is it okay to kill someone because they have mean parents?
THIS IS NOT REAL LIFE!

Considering demons have shown the capacity in this game to not be completely evil and they have their own personalities, feeling
Mundus was a tyrant.

Phineas gave Dante the information that Lilith had Mundus' child. Phineas told Dante to kill Lilith and the child for revenge. Phineas is not good.

Sparda is ambiguous. He helped Mundus enslave the humans.

Slacri

It was a sentence at most. The other part was about how Vergil got into hacking, and the need for control, and truth about their past.
"Okay, listen up, to pop this beast open, you will need to line up the four conduits with their corresponding servers. Did you get that?"
"Line up all four, got it."
"Where'd you learn to do that?"
"What?"
"That computer stuff."
"Hacking? Taught myself as a kid, guess it gave me a sense of control."
"Control. We never had that did we?"
"No. I always felt that something was amiss, hidden from me."
"So did I. It's like a burning feeling inside."
"Exactly, but I knew that if you peeled back the layers of bullshit, the truth would eventually out."
"Guess I channeled that energy into hacking- and you? How do you find release?"
"Killing demons and getting laid... but that computer stuff sounds good too."

You have an odd definition of a sentence. Not to mention they're in communication the entire time, so the issue could have easily been brought up.

Slacri

THIS IS NOT REAL LIFE!
Yes I know, which is why I'm not calling the police.
Sparda is ambiguous. He helped Mundus enslave the humans​
He ditched Mundus' army to be with his wife and settle with his family in solitude. If he could do that, why couldn't the potential baby?​

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
If he could do that, why couldn't the potential baby?
Not a real baby. Not real life.
It was a demon spawn. Probably inherantly evil. It wanted to kill Dante. Hardly a good start.

KaizenShio

Considering demons have shown the capacity in this game to not be completely evil and they have their own personalities, feeling and conscious thought yes, it's very close to human abortion. How is it okay to kill someone because they have mean parents?
then how was it ok for Lilith to use her child as a weapon allowed that same child to get beat down shot at and sliced up

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I don't want some vast overarching messages of the wrongness of my actions. I'm saying that the game shouldn't bring up things like this and then completely ignore it. Otherwise there's no point of it. Look at DMC3 or 4. It was a pretty poor plot line with some bad writing and goofy moments but it was tonally consistent and didn't bring up serious matters like this. At no point did say Nero just watch as Dante blew up a school full of children or something and then just ignore it.
No, but he did watch as Nero was sucked into the savior, and didn't do a damn thing right then and there.

I'm not making up problems because this issue is in the game and it shows how sloppy Dante is characterized, and for a game that's marketed heavily on its story this is an issue. Not only is it tonally inconsistent with the franchise and even within itself its poor writing.

In your opinion. So just because Dante didn't sit and have tea with Vergil and talk to him about why he killed Lilith WHILE THE CITY WAS BEING DESTROYED BY A POWERFUL DEMON KING WHO WAS ****ED OFF TO NO AMMOUNT, it's considered bad writing?

Besides, how could they just bring that conversation up all of a sudden while trying to break into Mundus's office?

Vergil: Okay Dante. It's time we try to break into Mundus's layer. I'll handle the security sectors, while you unlock the keys to it. We should be able to pry it open if we--"

Dante: "Hey Vergil, why did you shoot Lilith and her baby?"

Vergil: "You wanna talk about this now?!":blink:

Paexie

That's about the only thing he does thought. He only acts out of initial shock and then never questions it again.
Hey, you are sorta forgetting about his talk with Mundus. He tries not to mention what happened. He didn't do it and he obviously wanted the deal to go through as he planned. He avoids the question... he obviously knows that was effed up.

But he had to get him angry because that gate was going to keep him alive and keep humans without the freedom he thinks they deserve.

He hesitated into talking about the moral issue of killing that woman, an evil woman, and evil child (because it does seem eager to kill even before it's forced out).

It has been done. He will be there until the end like he promised Kat. May I also add that he claimed HER as the real hero. Seriously, this whole game was Dante restoring his faith in humanity instead of drowning in it's really bleak state.

BTW: I'm pretty damn sure the police force (that exist to protect property not people like many believe) are demon collaborators. How else would we have the Dreamrunners and Drekavacs?

Slacri

Not a real baby. Not real life.
Yes I know, but they don't know their in a video game.
It was a demon spawn. Probably inherantly evil. It wanted to kill Dante. Hardly a good start.
Probably inherently evil? Again, Sparda left Mundus and settled alone with his family. What a dastardly man. The very fact that Sparda did that means the demon kid could too.

KaizenShio

Yes I know, but they don't know their in a video game.

Probably inherently evil? Again, Sparda left Mundus and settled alone with his family. What a dastardly man. The very fact that Sparda did that means the demon kid could too.

Lol if mundus would have did that liltih would be alive and kicking now wouldnt she

Slacri

Hey, you are sorta forgetting about his talk with Mundus. He tries not to mention what happened. He didn't do it and he obviously wanted the deal to go through as he planned. He avoids the question... he obviously knows that was effed up.

But he had to get him angry because that gate was going to keep him alive and keep humans without the freedom he thinks they deserve.

He hesitated into talking about the moral issue of killing that woman, an evil woman, and evil child (because it does seem eager to kill even before it's forced out).

It has been done. He will be there until the end like he promised Kat. May I also add that he claimed HER as the real hero. Seriously, this whole game was Dante restoring his faith in humanity instead of drowning in it's really bleak state.

BTW: I'm pretty damn sure the police force (that exist to protect property not people like many believe) are demon collaborators. How else would we have the Dreamrunners and Drekavacs?
I'm not saying it's bad he got him angry. I'm saying it's bad he never questioned Vergil on it.

Are they? What about the Dreamrunners shows this? Even so Mundus had a bunch of power and was even threatening the President. I doubt a SWAT team member would be able to say no to him.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
This is Mundus' spawn we are talking about. Mundus who killed Eva and ate her heart. Mundus who has been in power for 9,000 years. I doubt the 'love of a good woman' would turn him 'good'. He doesn't love Lilith. She is a tool to him.
Whya re you so bothered?

Top Bottom