• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The odd morality.

AlchemistFromEden

These aren't flaws. This is being a psychopath. And it's cool for characters to have flaws if they're elaborated on and made a point of. But this is just lazy writing.

I've said already. The issue isn't that they have flaws. Flaws are fine, but this is lazy writing rather than an intentional flaw for character development. They never elaborate on Dante being a psychopath or make a point of it.
Dante isn't a psychopath -_- he's just rebellious as hell that doesn't make him crazy and its not like he lacks morals at all, and yes NT does a great job of elaborating on why dante is the way he is in the game, doesn't make him a psychopath just because every decision he makes isn't **** perfect and flat, if anything, the writing in the past games were lazy because he literally had no backstory that explains what happened to him between his mother's death and his brother's disappearance

Slacri

If you're still arguing about whether it was wrong or not to kill Lillith, think about who did it.

Our Anti-villain ally. The guy who is lawful evil. And Dante does call him out. "Vergil, What the ****!?"

That moment shattered Dante's trust in Vergil, and was our first true hint of Vergil's real personality.
That's about the only thing he does thought. He only acts out of initial shock and then never questions it again.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
But joking about the size of your genitalia and talking about how much you get laid to keep stress off?
Actually it was Vergil joking about how big his dick was.>_< Dante said he slept with women to fill the emptiness caused by lack of control and no stable family life while Vergil turned to hacking for the same reason; to get control in his life.

KaizenShio

and psychopaths like the woman who uses her child as a efficient weapon who decided to use that same child in a war type setting. Dante and vergil seems sane to me

Slacri

Dante isn't a psychopath -_- he's just rebellious as hell that doesn't make him crazy and its not like he lacks morals at all, and yes NT does a great job of elaborating on why dante is the way he is in the game, doesn't make him a psychopath just because every decision he makes isn't **** perfect and flat, if anything, the writing in the past games were lazy because he literally had no backstory that explains what happened to him between his mother's death and his brother's disappearance
I would consider someone who doesn't mind murdering a bunch of people and his brother gunning down pregnant demons a psychopath but okay.

Also, having an awful backstory isn't preferable to having not much at all.

Vezild

Taking Back Lordran One Boss At a Time
Except that's exactly what they did, but okay. How is Dante questioning Vergil's assault rifle abortion method turn the story too dramatic?
Because then you suddenly bring up some conflict that just shouldn't be there, and genuinely does not matter. Drama is all about a bunch of conflicts over one over arching conflict. Action isn't. Action is about a hero vs a villain and they duke it out at the end. Plain and simple.

But the fact of the matter is this: Lilith was SCREWED up. And if you played Missions 15 and 16 and fought Mundus' Spawn, then you should see how Vergil shooting Lilith shouldn't have even phased Dante, who, must I remind you, has seen some pretty messed up things growing up.
The real problem here is why did Vergil shoot Lilith at that time? It was the worst timing possible for something as drastic as that. If you want to question something, it should be about that.

Slacri

Actually it was Vergil joking about how big his **** was.>_< Dante said he slept with women to fill the emptiness caused by lack of control and no stable family life while Vergil turned to hacking for the same reason; to get control in his life.
The point was that if they had time to have poorly written dialog, they have time to discuss this matter.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Vergil's assault rifle abortion method
Is it abortion when the baby has already been born once? :lol:

The point was that if they had time to have poorly written dialog, they have time to discuss this matter.
But discussing it would add nothing to the story. Dante has seen that Vergil is capable of such an act. It's to serve as a warning for what Vergil can do without caring.

KaizenShio

But discussing it would add nothing to the story. Dante has seen that Vergil is capable of such an act. It's to serve as a warning for what Vergil can do without caring.
Damnit you beat me too it

Slacri

Because then you suddenly bring up some conflict that just shouldn't be there, and genuinely does not matter. Drama is all about a bunch of conflicts over one over arching conflict. Action isn't. Action is about a hero vs a villain and they duke it out at the end. Plain and simple.
But it is there. The game made the conflict itself and never elaborated on it. It's a characterization issue, and the problem is that Dante is doing these horrible things or letting them slip by and then he's played up as a hero. And what you described is poorly written action. Good action has conflicts, and good action isn't so simple. I'm infinitely more invested in an action scene if there's more complex things going on about it.

It seems like you want all your action to be on the level of Transformers 2 or something.
But the fact of the matter is this: Lilith was SCREWED up. And if you played Missions 15 and 16 and fought Mundus' Spawn, then you should see how Vergil shooting Lilith shouldn't have even phased Dante, who, must I remind you, has seen some pretty messed up things growing up.
So he is a jaded psychopath then?
Th

EvilX-81

But the fact of the matter is this: Lilith was SCREWED up. And if you played Missions 15 and 16 and fought Mundus' Spawn, then you should see how Vergil shooting Lilith shouldn't have even phased Dante, who, must I remind you, has seen some pretty messed up things growing up..

True. The baby did just try to... KILL Dante sometime earlier. Dante might have some care over Vergil killing the kid, but it was probably more about his word being broken to Lilith and Vergil possibly wrecking the deal and risking Kat.

Slacri

Well no, I guess it's just infanticide then.

If it adds nothing to the story why did they even bother putting it in? You could say it's to characterize Vergil as a bad guy, but they were already doing that without having these drastic things that we're just not supposed to care about. They could've done it in a much better way. Hell, even doing the same thing but having Dante not at the scene to not know it happened would've been better.

AlchemistFromEden

i'm starting to think that he's just another one of the antis that this thread is talking about....considering he believes dante is a psychopath and calls the writing which has way more depth and detail then previous entries lazy -_-

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
The real problem here is why did Vergil shoot Lilith at that time? It was the worst timing possible for something as drastic as that. If you want to question something, it should be about that.
Maybe Vergil wanted to twist the knife into Mundus a bit, like play with him. He shows Mundus Lilith, baits him with the exchange. Mundus thinks he is getting his heir back, but then at the last moment, it is killed. It's like a warning to Mundus for how far he is willing to go, even risking Mundus unleashing all his power.
Mundus can also sense when things die. Like the succubus, so maybe the death physcially hurt him too, seeing as it does share his DNA.

Vergilissexy

Wesker's #1 fan!
Ummm, I have not read all 4 pages so my mistake if I have repeated something.

Speaking as a "hater" or whatever you want to call me for not liking this game, I actually despise it when other anti DmC fans give bias or silly complaints. There are plenty of legitimate complaints for this game, we don't need to make stuff up or exaggerate it. This game came from another game where a half demon gets ****z and giggles off of killing and torchering his father's kind. Are we really trippin' over a demon fetus that tried to kill you an hour prior to that? Another bias complaint was Dante being naked, I would have killed to see Dante naked in the originals. -_-

With that said the pro side definitely likes to make stuff up too. *sigh*

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
It seems like you want all your action to be on the level of Transformers 2 or something.
Michael Bay's Transformer's films didn't have a lot of action. While the action scenes were good in my opinion. I think there were more drama scenes. I don't remember.

But I do agree with him. DmC needs more explosions.:lol:

Slacri

i'm starting to think that he's just another one of the antis that this thread is talking about....considering he believes dante is a psychopath
How about you actually respond to my points rather than resorting to logical fallacies of trying to attack me instead of my argument?
and calls the writing which has way more depth and detail then previous entries lazy -_-
It is lazy, and the fact that the previous games didn't have the best writing doesn't make this game any better. At least they had a consistent fun action cheesy tone.

KaizenShio

i'm starting to think that he's just another one of the antis that this thread is talking about....considering he believes dante is a psychopath and calls the writing which has way more depth and detail then previous entries lazy -_-
hmmmm i will give him some credit but i feel like he wanted dante to just go apeshit on him....... and if he did he will probably go apeshit on the fact that he put kats life in danger more than the baby killing thing....

Top Bottom