• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The odd morality.

KaizenShio

im only asking is if she was before or after because that thing was huge and you know if it was before then ya know...... he would be considered a pedomonster

ZeroLove

In any case, Sparda and Phineas are extremely rare cases. The spawn of Mundus and Lilith would have even less chances than any other demon to actually grow up and become a "good" demon.

Vergil did the right thing by shooting that spawn out of the stomach of its mother.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
People's morality is odd.

But given that morality doesn't exist outside of the human brain, not so surprising.

crush

The major problem is if Dante succeeded in talking Vergil out of shooting lilith and let the baby live, lilith will likely say that Mundus governed the world and maintained peace while making the economy and standards rise. And he got killed by pure revenge.
The worst thing here is all of this is true. And can't be countered with.
Mundus indeed imprisoned humans and made them into candy but that's what the demon race is all about.
They don't get a clue at what's cruel or not.
Look at Phineas. "I have a heart!" next minute "Kill the child!"
Demons will be Demons and that's what Vergil also meant in the final scene.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I'm too sure if Mundus really died in this game. Maybe he go back into hell?
Just saying.
I like that idea. Besides, it could be supported by what is said in the game. Vergil says after the hell gate is tampered with that Mundus fused with his physical body.
So does that mean Mundus' essence or soul was piloting the Kyle Ryder body from hell all the time until the hell gate was stopped by Vergil?
If that's right, then Mundus' soul could escape the Kyle Ryder body again after defeat and be wandering around in spirit form looking for a new host body.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
^Exactly. Someone with a calibur of Mundus can't be killed that easily. Also it's easy for a demon king to transfer his soul to another or just got back to hell.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
^Exactly. Someone with a calibur of Mundus can't be killed that easily. Also it's easy for a demon king to transfer his soul to another or just got back to hell.
The only thing is, I'm too used to seeing Mundus in the Kyle Ryder body, so it would be strange to see Mundus, but as a different human.
I think I'd like to see his true form more than him being human again. The only thing to be certain about his true form though is that it has 3 eyes. The rest is a mystery.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Someone with a calibur of Mundus can't be killed that easily. Also it's easy for a demon king to transfer his soul to another or just got back to hell.

That's imposing your own logic on DmC's universe. What is there that says a demon king can transfer their soul? No one seems to be able to do such a thing. Vergil said it himself that Mundus was immortal as long as he was connected to, and gaining power from, the Hell Gate. Without it, he could die just as easily as any other demon, and heck that's not too hard - both Barbas and Lilith were killed by firearms. Poison was killed by an industrial fan - hardly magical :p The fact that the demons can't do much outside of Limbo shows a slight limitation on their demonic powers, and they could only exploit Limbo in order to control the real world.

Mundus was most likely killed, and the Hell Gate was closed by Vergil, so it's not like he can use it to go back to anywhere :p

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Meh. What a pathetic end for mundus.
I think demons are way too nerfed down in this game :/

Oh well.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Nero watches as Dante kills the DMC4 version of The Pope and Order of the sword guards, sure Nero goes after Dante, but then they team up and Nero kills Sanctus again.

No, but he did watch as Nero was sucked into the savior, and didn't do a damn thing right then and there.

He let Nero get sucked up by the savior and watched his brother fall off a cliff.

This stuff is wrong on SO many levels.

Had you guys been paying attention to the game, you'd have noticed Dante does WAY worse than just that!

You're talking about the guy that starts DMC3 getting a call from someone, rejects that person as soon as he picks up the phone because "We're not open for business yet" and tosses the phone back into the receiver. Then he leaves his shop and you notice "Hey, no one is in this town because they've been slaughtered by demons for the past year or so." But that sure as hell wasn't Arkham calling to check out how Dante was doin'; he was right outside the shop, and he doesn't have a phone, so a customer (one of the last few) was probably getting boned in the ass by a demon and Dante didn't bother to save 'em cause "I'm not on the clock, neener neener neener!"

You're talking about the guy that flat out admits to some random chick he met for 15 minutes that "At first I didn't give a damn, but because of you, I know what's important now". Hokey writing aside (seriously, Dante and Lady only knew each other for less than fifteen minutes and I'm pretty sure 99% of it was spent with them antagonizing each other and Lady being racist, shooting him for existing, and accusing him of murder just by being next to a dead body; if Dante were black and Lady kept calling him the N word, and doing the shooting and the accusing, would ANY of that make sense?), a confession from the protagonist that he only decided to be a hero a literal 4/5ths of the way through the game is distressing.

You're talking about the guy that not only watches his brother fall off a cliff, he watches that happen knowing he has two weapons and three styles to act with. He couldn't use Trickster to dash/teleport to Vergil faster? Quicksilver to slow down time and grab his bro? Doppelganger to start a Chain of People (see: TV Tropes)? He could grab a motorcycle falling through the air with Cerberus but couldn't use it to latch to V's ankle or something? Tossed a bunch of Nevan bats to grab him by the clothes and float him back to terra firma? I'm calling bullshit. :troll:

Let's look at what really happened with DMC4. Lady shows up there telling Dante that this cult that worships his dad is collecting DAs. Instead of hopping on that job right away because demons, he shrugs. She insists they might be experimenting with stuff. He shrugs more. She insists that she could be right, and his only response amounts to "If you are, then maybe it means I won't be bored anymore!" but then Trish steals the Sparda right out from under his nose, and gives it to the bad guys.

She kidnapped the God-Raping Sword and gave it to the bad guys directly after hearing "They're taking DAs and plotting something evil". And lo and behold, they were! Sanctus even admits "Hey, this woman helped us reach our plan faster than we would have if we didn't have the Sparda". We see the results of their confidence when they think that their plan is almost done, right in the first mission: they open a Hellgate, demons come out, those demons kill civilians. It's even worse in the novel. There Trish steals Lucifer, Pandora, and Gilgamesh as well as the Sparda and gives it to the bad guys, so it's doubtful their plan would have happened AT ALL if she had only stayed back.

Dante and Trish irresponsibly left to Nero fight alone knowing they were powerful enough to handle the problem themselves, and were both in the next room over while Credo was risking his life and Nero was getting pwned by the Savior. They could have shown up any time while that was happening to do something about it, but they didn't, and the bad guys used Nero to further their plans. Then the Pope goes "Oh yeah, you, woman? You're dumb and your disguise was dumb."

Trish endangered civilian lives for A) Dante's entertainment B) her own entertainment C) a cheap promotion in the bad guys' ranks, and D) to get paid for fixing the problem she caused. Dante did not call her out on her behavior and her only punishment for doing all that was getting paid less and some quick disapproval by Lady. Dante continues to associate with the woman even with her disregard for human lives. He's a jerk by apathy and then a jerk by association. That's jerk-squared. Some hero right there.

Oh, and :troll:

ZeroLove

This stuff is wrong on SO many levels.

Had you guys been paying attention to the game, you'd have noticed Dante does WAY worse than just that!

You're talking about the guy that starts DMC3 getting a call from someone, rejects that person as soon as he picks up the phone because "We're not open for business yet" and tosses the phone back into the receiver. Then he leaves his shop and you notice "Hey, no one is in this town because they've been slaughtered by demons for the past year or so." But that sure as hell wasn't Arkham calling to check out how Dante was doin'; he was right outside the shop, and he doesn't have a phone, so a customer (one of the last few) was probably getting boned in the ass by a demon and Dante didn't bother to save 'em cause "I'm not on the clock, neener neener neener!"

You're talking about the guy that flat out admits to some random chick he met for 15 minutes that "At first I didn't give a damn, but because of you, I know what's important now". Hokey writing aside (seriously, Dante and Lady only knew each other for less than fifteen minutes and I'm pretty sure 99% of it was spent with them antagonizing each other and Lady being racist, shooting him for existing, and accusing him of murder just by being next to a dead body; if Dante were black and Lady kept calling him the N word, and doing the shooting and the accusing, would ANY of that make sense?), a confession from the protagonist that he only decided to be a hero a literal 4/5ths of the way through the game is distressing.

You're talking about the guy that not only watches his brother fall off a cliff, he watches that happen knowing he has two weapons and three styles to act with. He couldn't use Trickster to dash/teleport to Vergil faster? Quicksilver to slow down time and grab his bro? Doppelganger to start a Chain of People (see: TV Tropes)? He could grab a motorcycle falling through the air with Cerberus but couldn't use it to latch to V's ankle or something? Tossed a bunch of Nevan bats to grab him by the clothes and float him back to terra firma? I'm calling bullshit. :troll:

Let's look at what really happened with DMC4. Lady shows up there telling Dante that this cult that worships his dad is collecting DAs. Instead of hopping on that job right away because demons, he shrugs. She insists they might be experimenting with stuff. He shrugs more. She insists that she could be right, and his only response amounts to "If you are, then maybe it means I won't be bored anymore!" but then Trish steals the Sparda right out from under his nose, and gives it to the bad guys.

She kidnapped the God-Raping Sword and gave it to the bad guys directly after hearing "They're taking DAs and plotting something evil". And lo and behold, they were! Sanctus even admits "Hey, this woman helped us reach our plan faster than we would have if we didn't have the Sparda". We see the results of their confidence when they think that their plan is almost done, right in the first mission: they open a Hellgate, demons come out, those demons kill civilians. It's even worse in the novel. There Trish steals Lucifer, Pandora, and Gilgamesh as well as the Sparda and gives it to the bad guys, so it's doubtful their plan would have happened AT ALL if she had only stayed back.

Dante and Trish irresponsibly left to Nero fight alone knowing they were powerful enough to handle the problem themselves, and were both in the next room over while Credo was risking his life and Nero was getting pwned by the Savior. They could have shown up any time while that was happening to do something about it, but they didn't, and the bad guys used Nero to further their plans. Then the Pope goes "Oh yeah, you, woman? You're dumb and your disguise was dumb."

Trish endangered civilian lives for A) Dante's entertainment B) her own entertainment C) a cheap promotion in the bad guys' ranks, and D) to get paid for fixing the problem she caused. Dante did not call her out on her behavior and her only punishment for doing all that was getting paid less and some quick disapproval by Lady. Dante continues to associate with the woman even with her disregard for human lives. He's a jerk by apathy and then a jerk by association. That's jerk-squared. Some hero right there.

Oh, and :troll:

HAH! XD
Nice thesis.

Downfall

On a side note:

I'd like to point out that the morality in this game is a lot like "Unbreakable". You don't have a good guy who's completely good (Dante/David Dunn) and you don't have a bad guy who's completely bad (Vergil/Elijah Price).

The morality us ambiguous and that's one the great things about the characterization in this story. There are no clear right or wrong answers, just questionable ones in-between.

*spoilers, btw*

David Dunn was willing to cheat on his wife before the accident, and Elijah Price was willing to sacrifice hundreds of lives to find a superhuman (Dunn).

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
While I can somewhat agree on the most stuff you say, Dante watching Vergil fall is something different.

Vergil clearly showed his intention to stay in the demon world by cutting Dantes hand when Dante ran to save him. The message was pretty clear "better not pull me up brother".

And even if Dante managed to get ahold of Vergil, I think it is most likely that Vergil would have struggled anyway and refusing help.

Top Bottom