• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The odd morality.

Slacri

-its a DEMON KID, not a normal child, its like complaining that someone killed the OMEN, its literally along those lines
Sparda was a demon, he turned out to just be an average guy who could love and lived with his family.
-how is it bad characterization that dante is not an archetypical hero who makes everything shine with rainbows and cleavage? that's not the tone this game was going for, dante is presented as an rebellious teenager who hides his issues with pizza and ladies in this game, and when he lets those issues come out like when he looks sad that he doesn't remember his mother, its consistent with the tone of the game that no, even though everything is bright and colorful on the surface, that when you look deep that things are not perfect at all, and yes, he's ok with letting his brother go, that's his
I've said multiple times I'm not saying Dante should be some amazing hero. But they shouldn't play him up as a hero while he has these massive moral imbalances that they don't even address.
BROTHER, better yet his twin, while Mundus's spawn was the child of the man who imprisoned his father and literally RIPPED HIS MOTHER'S HEART OUT AND MADE HER WATCH AS HE ATE IT, so making sure that he doesn't reproduce more heart eating demons is a bad thing now?
I don't know why you think it's okay to kill something because it had bad parents.

Paexie

There's no double standard. If the baby grew up and was evil then I wouldn't care if he killed it.
But then what if later in life he fell in love with an angel....
I'm not saying Sparda is some heroic amazing guy. I'm just saying he was an average person really who just lived a life with his family. Why could the demon baby not do this?
You are twisting things around and not taking Mundus and Lilith to account. Mundus would have died anyway and Lilith would probably would not stand for that.

Slacri

I think the moral implications might come a bit from faith. I don't know...I'm Catholic. Now, don't go classifying and generalizing, but if I were somehow charged with killing the anti-christ in the name of God, I think I would. So that would put me in Vergil's boots...
Well for one he isn't the literal anti-christ. Mundus can be compared to Satan but this isn't accurate to the bible.
By the way, guys, I side more with Vergil than with Dante on the whole what happens to the humans thing...
I agree, I just think there needed to be more tension built up to Vergil's betrayal.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
know what? I got **** to do tommorrow, and I'm not wasting tonight talking with some pompous complainer who calls NT's writing lazy, but can't even let sh*t go when it's called to.

Slacri, I'm done with you and your very pigheaded argument that keeps switching from "Vergil shooting Lilith an dthe demon baby" to "morals on baby killing."

And you say DmC is inconsistent.

So it's about time for me to go to bed so I leave you all with this
tumblr_m7qyg87mCU1r1608m.gif

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I've said multiple times I'm not saying Dante should be some amazing hero. But they shouldn't play him up as a hero while he has these massive moral imbalances that they don't even address.
Why is the onus on Dante when Vergil took the shot?

KaizenShio

I said this before but imma say it again

and its not a matter of she going to do anything when a child ask.... "Hey what was my dad like" shes is going to say nothing but good things about mundus then the child is going to ask what happened Blah blah blah insert hatred here blah blah time elapse blah blah elaborate plan for revenge..... Theres a saying a woman worst weapon is her mouth

why go through this whole bit again number 1 reason why crap like this happens because you failed to do a good job the first time. Prime example Mundus

Slacri

Yes, DmC is a game, but it is created in the real world and should be informed by real world morals and judgements. Using real world morals and judgements; is it right to let a demon baby live who will destory the world with its father? Is one potential life greater than the lives of the world?
No, the problem is that you have no clue if the demon baby will destroy the world and it being a demon isn't really relevant because demon's have conscious thoughts and as shown by Sparda can just be normal people.

Killing can be justified in certain circumstances. Tell me, if Lilith and Mundus' spawn was gorwn up and went on a killing spree, it would be fine to kill it then, right?
Well yes, because then it would have been grown up and made its own choice. The problem is pre-emptively killing it only based on "I don't like the parents."
Like when Mundus destory the city it is okay to kill him because he is killing many lives.
Yup, I kind of wonder how many lives were lost when Dante and Vergil unsealed the gate to Hell and unleashed demons around the world though. Ah, well #DEMONS #YOLO

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Mundus would be dead before he could raise the kid and there's nothing stopping them from just taking the baby from Lilith.
And doing what with it? It clearly wanted to kill Dante. I doubt it would allow itself to be taken by them. And then if it grew up and discovered that Dante and Vergil killed Mummy and Daddy, the whole revenge killing cycle would start again.

Slacri

And doing what with it? It clearly wanted to kill Dante. I doubt it would allow itself to be taken by them.
Based on basic emotion and coaxing by its mother. I don't think it would be able to resist much.
And then if it grew up and discovered that Dante and Vergil killed Mummy and Daddy, the whole revenge killing cycle would start again.
No it wouldn't. Not everybody is a psychopath like Dante and Vergil and if it did then they'd be justified in killing it.

ZeroLove

Why can't you people see that Slacri is obviously just trying to rile you people up?
He knows it's just a game, he knows the child was demonic, he knows all these things you guys are trying to convince him, yet you guys still try and counter his arguements. Let the man be, let him dislike DmC and the story, let him make his anti-statements. To argue with him is just to humour him.

On topic, I am all in for abortion. Especially if the child turns out to be the spawn of evil. It wasn't even born and yet it tried to kill Dante. So there you have it.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Based on basic emotion and coaxing by its mother. I don't think it would be able to resist much.
So if it can't resist, then surely it is evil before birth. It is connected to the mother, shares Lilith's desire to kill Dante. Therefore, it is evil.

No it wouldn't. Not everybody is a psychopath like Dante and Vergil and if it did then they'd be justified in killing it.
They are not psychopaths.Why does very argument you make hinge on Vergil, not Dante, killing a demon spawn? Vergil saw it as the greter good, most of the gmaers also see the killing for the greater good. That is the whole point of this game. To encourage discussion on the perception of right and wrong and the moral grey area inbetween. Whta you see as wrong, other people see as justified.

AlchemistFromEden

Sparda was a demon, he turned out to just be an average guy who could love and lived with his family.
I've said multiple times I'm not saying Dante should be some amazing hero. But they shouldn't play him up as a hero while he has these massive moral imbalances that they don't even address. I don't know why you think it's okay to kill something because it had bad parents.
yes they should play him off as the hero if he's flawed and every decision doesn't have a good outcome, its called depth, its like saying spiderman shouldn't be played off as a hero when he decides to not stop the robber in his origin, he's still the hero because of what he BECOMES LATER, and in the situation, addressing the killing of a demon who btw was twenty feet tall before its even born and is sentient enough to respond to dante's presence and want to kill him is not bad storytelling, like i said, most people would rather dante and vergil having a playful conversation instead of an anime style conversation where their arguing could potentially compromise the mission because of their conflicting views

Slacri

Why can't you people see that Slacri is obviously just trying to rile you people up?
I'm not, I'm sharing my opinion. What's the issue here?
He knows it's just a game, he knows the child was demonic, he knows all these things you guys are trying to convince him, yet you guys still try and counter his arguements. Let the man be, let him dislike DmC and the story, let him make his anti-statements. To argue with him is just to humour him.
I've responded to all of these points already. What exactly is wrong with discussion?

On topic, I am all in for abortion. Especially if the child turns out to be the spawn of evil. It wasn't even born and yet it tried to kill Dante. So there you have it.
It wasn't even capable of actual thought and it did its actions based on instinct and basic emotion.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
On topic, I am all in for abortion. Especially if the child turns out to be the spawn of evil.
But wait, this demon spawn could have grown up and maybe become a doctor or cured cancer....oh wait....no....it's the spawn of Mundus and Lilith who tried to kill Dante. :lol:

Vezild

Taking Back Lordran One Boss At a Time
WHAT ARE THE CHANCES IT REALLY DIED????
Think about it: that baby seemed like it can go around without Lilith. I know, I know, sounds far fetched. But what if, that baby manages to regenerate and self-sustain? What if Dante has to face it when he is older? Again, far fetched, yes...but couldn't that be possible?

Slacri

So if it can't resist, then surely it is evil before birth. It is connected to the mother, shares Lilith's desire to kill Dante. Therefore, it is evil.
Not really. Babies do a lot of strange things based on their ignorance. That doesn't mean anything for how they feel about it later in life.

They are not psychopaths.Why does very argument you make hinge on Vergil, not Dante, killing a demon spawn?
Because Dante barely seemed to care and that's what the thread is about.
Vergil saw it as the greter good, most of the gmaers also see the killing for the greater good. That is the whole point of this game. To encourage discussion on the perception of right and wrong and the moral grey area inbetween. Whta you see as wrong, other people see as justified.
Well that's all well and good but they never really make a point or go anywhere with it so I doubt that was their intention.

KaizenShio

I'm not, I'm sharing my opinion. What's the issue here?
I've responded to all of these points already. What exactly is wrong with discussion?

It wasn't even capable of actual thought and it did its actions based on instinct and basic emotion.
Now that is a bogus assumption now that I replayed the boss fight it absolutely knows what lilith is saying during the combat Lilith gives that thing orders so its capable of understanding... So we can't even call it innocent

Slacri

yes they should play him off as the hero if he's flawed and every decision doesn't have a good outcome, its called depth, its like saying spiderman shouldn't be played off as a hero when he decides to not stop the robber in his origin,
Thanks for the example. You see the difference between Peter not stopping the robber and Dante not stopping Vergil is Peter not stopping that robber is a big point in his story. It's a flaw, but they elaborate on it and make a point of it. It's brought up all the time in his comics, films and tv shows. It's bad storytelling because even though Dante has these issues they don't do anything with it like they do with Peter Parker.

Top Bottom