• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

SoulCalibur VI Announced for PS4, Xbone, & PC

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I can not lie, that gameplay (while poor) put a smile on my face. So is this really a reboot or a continuation of 5's bleak story?
Reboot. It's going back to the events of the SoulCalibur game on Dreamcast, where Siegfried has transformed into Nightmare, Xianghua and Kilik first meet, etc. Where they'll continue the plot from this point, I have no idea.

WolfOD64

But what outcome will be different for Siegfried to be free of Soul Edge?
Who knows? Remember, Siegfried freeing himself from Soul Edge, and Zaslamel re-animating Nightmare's armor were all off-screen events. Maybe we'll see things play out in actual story mode, a la Tekken 7.

WolfOD64

Better choice than Noctis randomly turning up in Tekken 7, I suppose, but not an ideal guest for me as far as SoulCalibur goes. I've always found Geralt to be woefully boring.

But if Namco really is going the Tekken 7 approach to guest characters, they may have more than one guest. Akuma, Noctis, and the SNK Legend himself Geese Howard all turned up in one Tekken game. I'd love for this game to have as many.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
and thus the box revieled.
HlDE8KY.png

WolfOD64

Looks like one of my all-time favorite characters, one of the most badass in all of gaming, made the cover of SoulCalibur VI.

...oh, and, Geralt.

WolfOD64

Whoa whoa whoa, okay Mitsurugi's cool and all. But more badass then Geralt? As if
Meh. I find Geralt to be a one-note, gravely, and unbearably boring game protagonist.

And at least Mitsurugi's just a fond homage to a historical figure (and an actor famous for portraying him) in real life. Geralt's entire character is just a rip-off cribbed completely from another influential protagonist in fantasy before him, being Elric of Melniboné. And if you need info on that entire debacle, just PM me. So on top of being boring, he's also woefully unoriginal. As most fanfiction characters tend to be.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Honestly outside of Geralt's addition, game shown little to get me exited for. All characters designs are almost identical to old games (aside from Zazalmel who looks overdesigned now), visuals are a-ok and no new arenas so far. Also Groh, lol. Guy from Norway who has nothing nordic about him and looks like generic character builder addition. I'll definetely gonna wait till I know for sure game has enough content to warranty it's existence.

WolfOD64

I'll definetely gonna wait till I know for sure game has enough content to warranty it's existence.
You are absolutely right in making this reservation. Lack of content is what absolutely destroyed SoulCalibur V. That game had no individual character stories, no character endings, no profiles, no Weapon Exhibition, no proper solo modes like Time Attack or Extra Mode, and worst yet, no expansive single-player mode in the vein of Missions Mode, Weapon Master Mode, Chronicles of the Sword or Tower of Lost Souls. This is all on top of the fact that it not only arbitrarily removed staple characters like Taki and Seong Mina, but also botched and removed half of the core moves of existing characters like Siegfried and Mitsurugi.

I'm absolutely ecstatic that SoulCalibur is coming back. It's my favorite fighting game series ever. But if they stumble into the same content practices that put this series on hold in the first place, Namco isn't seeing one cent of my money.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
@AgentRedgrave
Or consult this thread, where that (imo pretty darn weaksauce) point was already discussed, and spare yourself the tripe.

https://devilmaycry.org/threads/what-kind-of-movie-themes-do-you-wish-to-see-more.21520/post-642276
Did some google searching which lead me to a video of a guy who refused to review Witcher 3 (or any possible future Witcher games) because he claimed Geralt was plagiarized off this other guy. The entire comment section was filled with tons of comments, paragraphs in length, debunking the similarities as superficial at best.

But back to the main point and topic of this thread. Soul Calibur V left a bad taste in my mouth, so much so that while I did intend to eventually try out the new game after release, I wasn't exactly as hyped as I am for the new God of War, Vampyr, or Red Dead Redemption 2.

But....I love Witcher 3, after 10 years of Devil May Cry 3 holding the title, I got a new favorite game, and I love Geralt and all the other characters. Now that I know Geralt's gonna be in Soul Calibur VI, I've now gone from vaguely interested, to planning on pre-ordering the game. So honestly, as of now I'm getting the game for Geralt.

Aisen66

i like soul calibur the ps2 games got great graphics have nothing bad to say about soul calibur on ps2 but these graphics look ps 2 so you,ll get the same as the other games my favorite in the games is nightmare he is ninja

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
You are absolutely right in making this reservation. Lack of content is what absolutely destroyed SoulCalibur V. That game had no individual character stories, no character endings, no profiles, no Weapon Exhibition, no proper solo modes like Time Attack or Extra Mode, and worst yet, no expansive single-player mode in the vein of Missions Mode, Weapon Master Mode, Chronicles of the Sword or Tower of Lost Souls. This is all on top of the fact that it not only arbitrarily removed staple characters like Taki and Seong Mina, but also botched and removed half of the core moves of existing characters like Siegfried and Mitsurugi.

I'm absolutely ecstatic that SoulCalibur is coming back. It's my favorite fighting game series ever. But if they stumble into the same content practices that put this series on hold in the first place, Namco isn't seeing one cent of my money.
It what destroyed most recent namco games :( SC IV, SCV and even Tekken 7. For me not enough to bring back existing characters. Till SCIV they always tried to add new costumes, new modes, new ideas. After SCIV they decided online mode and character creator enough so screw the rest. If they won't add enough single player content and do enough for existing characters, I'm gonna start to doubt they'll be able to revitalise franchise.

Top Bottom