• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

SoulCalibur VI Announced for PS4, Xbone, & PC

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
3323395-sc6_keyart_a_fix_1512727307+-+copy.jpg

3323403-sc6_keyart_b_fix_1512727307.jpg

DQiQpwQUIAA0AKe.jpg
DQiQqurUIAIc1iI.jpg
So if nobody tuned in for this year's Game Awards, one of the big announcements was Namco Bandai's very own Katsuhiro Harada & Yuichi Yonemori unveiled the game I've been ravenously awaiting as my most anticipated game of the decade after Star Fox Zero....SoulCalibur VI.

In spite of the title, the game will apparently revisit the events of SoulCalibur on the Dreamcast--which is good news for me, since the 17-year time-skip that was the basis for SCV did nothing but hurt that game, and remove a lot of classic characters in favor of painfully-forgettable ones like Patroklos and Pyrra. However, it hints from both the trailer and the fact that Namco announced both "returning and newcoming characters" to the roster, that this might be some semi-reboot, involving time travel or splitting timelines. I'm very interested to see where that goes.

The game will be based on a lot of the lessons the devs learned in making Tekken 7, as well as their approach to content. It will utilize the latest Unreal Engine, feature a new mechanic called "Reverse Edge" that will allow players to "read opponents’ attacks to execute a strategic Reversal Edge to land a counter attack while in guard."

It will also be the first Soul game to be ported to PC. No news on any guest characters.

WolfOD64

Think the series will be a reboot?
We know it's set during the events of the first SoulCalibur, but not how or why.
The flashback sequence had clips from every past game, including SC5....so I would imagine they're doing some kind of in-universe reboot. Maybe a future character like Patrokolos or Z.W.E.I. goes back in time to prevent some event like Siegfried turning into Nightmare, Soul Edge inflicting a spiritual wound on Sophitia, etc.

But that largely depends on how involved the story is going to be. I hope it's at least involved as the story mode in Tekken 7.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Maybe a future character like Patrokolos or Z.W.E.I. goes back in time to prevent some event like Siegfried turning into Nightmare, Soul Edge inflicting a spiritual wound on Sophitia, etc.

Well the Siegfried turning into Nightmare thing started during Soul Blade which was before Soul Calibur so if this takes place during the events of Soul Calibur then Siegfried is already Nightmare, but the idea does sound interesting but if they where going to do it I would have rather they started at the very beginning with Soul Blade so they could truly shape the very foundation of the storyline (such as the birth of Siegfried as Nightmare), kinda makes me think of what Neatherrealm did recently with the Mortal Kombat mythos reboot.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
here's gameplay.
My personal thoughts on it is that it looks like Ps3 game with more lighting effects. :/

WolfOD64

My personal thoughts on it is that it looks like Ps3 game with more lighting effects. :/
I only care about the framerate and the art design. SoulCalibur V had pretty good graphical fidelity for its time, but the character designs were downright AWFUL. Turning Raphael into Zorro, making Taki's apprentice look like a cheerleader, removing all of the undead nautical elements of Cervantes' design...just an ugly approach to art design entirely.

Meg

My only experience with the series is playing some SCV. I thought it was pretty good, but it didn't really hold my attention for every long. I'll keep my eye on this one though as I've been thinking about giving the series another chance.

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Nice! I loved the first SoulCalibur on Dreamcast - played it to death. Tinkered a little with the sequel on GameCube and PS2 (Link > Kratos BTW) and it seemed pretty solid at the time. Anything I should know about the story going forward? Reboot or no I'd love to know what I've missed.

WolfOD64

My only experience with the series is playing some SCV. I thought it was pretty good, but it didn't really hold my attention for every long. I'll keep my eye on this one though as I've been thinking about giving the series another chance.
I'm sad to hear that SCV was the one you started with, because that was honestly the most botched game in the series. SoulCalibur has almost always been a series rich with multiplayer and singleplayer content, where there's a lengthy arcade mode and some kind of massive arena mode to unlock new weapons and characters through something like the odyssey-like Edgemaster Mode in the first game, or the dungeon-crawling Weapon Master mode from my favorite, SC2.

SCV
was going to have those things, but Namco rushed it so quickly to market in order to get multiplayer serves up and running that Project Soul Team ended up cutting 80% of the planned content from the final product. Here's hoping SC6 doesn't suffer that fate.
Nice! I loved the first SoulCalibur on Dreamcast - played it to death. Tinkered a little with the sequel on GameCube and PS2 (Link > Kratos BTW) and it seemed pretty solid at the time. Anything I should know about the story going forward? Reboot or no I'd love to know what I've missed.
The Dreamcast entry is a classic that I adore immensely, but SC2 on GameCube is my favorite fighting game, period.

Storywise, whatever's important will depend on which character you follow throughout the series, since their adventures rarely intersect. One of the big story-changers that occurred after 2 was that the human host for Nightmare, Siegfried, broke apart from the evil sword's influence and embarked on a quest to cleanse his soul from the atrocities he had committed as Nightmare. But his life essence had fueled the evil sword to where Nightmare's armor began to animate and kill on its own, as a living doppelganger embodying all of Siegfried's worse characteristics. The two battle continuously throughout the series, although apparently their duel climaxed in SC5 (off-screen, of course).

Another big story element is that in SC4, we actually meet the godlike being who crafted SoulCalibur with his own hands---the god Algol, who made the sword as a constant, defiant equal to the evil sword, Soul Edge. He's described as the most powerful character in the Soul series, and the only person to have successfully fought him to a stalemate was the wandering swordsman Mitsurugi.

SC5 features some nonsense about Sophitia's kids and is best avoided, since it establishes so little storywise.

Last edited:

WolfOD64

I swear, the more I see of this game being shown off and discussed, the more I physically hunger for it. No, seriously: watching footage of this game and hearing the devs talk about it literally makes my stomach growl. I have no idea if that's healthy or not, and at this point, I don't even care.

A few things to note:
  • The aim is for this game to not only improve on the mechanics introduced in SCV, but for the game to match the speed and fluidity of SC2 (which gets a huge thumbs up from me, since I've always felt 2 was the most mechanically satisfying game in the series).
  • The stages appear to have different lighting in accordance to different hours of the day, much like SoulCalibur on the Dreamcast, and I like that A LOT
  • Both I and Okubo-san's favorite character is Mitsurugi. Good to know :)

Goldsickle

I haven't been looking into SC6 stuff much.

But.... is Mitsurugi's Relic Stance back?

Fun fact:
The Malay word "rugi" means "loss", such as being in the red in business, not profiting, etc.
I remember someone in my family pointing out how Mitsurugi has an "unfortunate"-sounding name back in '97.

WolfOD64

I haven't been looking into SC6 stuff much.

But.... is Mitsurugi's Relic Stance back?
Relic and Mist are confirmed to be back in his moveset...which relieves me to no end, seeing as the former was inexplicably and arbitrarily removed in SCV.

Fun fact:
The Malay word "rugi" means "loss", such as being in the red in business, not profiting, etc.
I remember someone in my family pointing out how Mitsurugi has an "unfortunate"-sounding name back in '97.
Mitsurugi's name literally means "Man of the sword" in Japanese. But that Malay variant is definitely amusing...especially when you consider that he's still sporting the gunshot wound he sustained from a duel he lost in the first game.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I only care about the framerate and the art design. SoulCalibur V had pretty good graphical fidelity for its time, but the character designs were downright AWFUL. Turning Raphael into Zorro, making Taki's apprentice look like a cheerleader, removing all of the undead nautical elements of Cervantes' design...just an ugly approach to art design entirely.
Wasn't all bad though, I liked how Nightmare's design more closely resembled the Soul Calibur 2 version (his best design imo).
Soul Calibur 5 was a disappointment for me, so I'm all for this game being a soft reboot or taking place in a new timeline, and if Sigfried and Nightmare are back to being the same character in this game, then I guess I'm back to being a Nightmare main :)

Top Bottom