• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So what do you guys think about this Vergil?

Dante47

I actually thought the Vergil from Devil May Cry 3 was a bit... cliche and unrealistic. This Vergil makes far more sense, and his motives are realistic. For me... that's good enough. Imagine it as a "What If" story set in the DMC Universe.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
"Freedom of Speech" does not equate to "Right to Abuse."

and "Less favorable views" does not equate to "Insults and Blind Hate"

Thats how you seem to be seeing it if you ask me.

Someone could come into this topic right now and give a bunch of reasons as to why they dislike this Vergil in a calm and peaceful manner and I bet you still would see it as mere "insults" or "fan rage" wouldn't you?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, after 2 pages I just couldn't keep reading, but it certainly has gotten lively around here again.

So, Vergil.
Virgirio in Spanish. He certainly has changed. Prefers a more profesional look to a more avangard. From white haired to blond. From blue coat to blue troucers. From a white Katana to black. And why are his lips so dark along with the inside of his mouth? Millionare software genious. Lives in a dark cave with alot of people wearing masks. Noticed that Kat didn't have to... just saying, someone playin' favorites here?

It's hard to say how I feel about him. He is deffinitly not the Vergil of old but for some reason they tryed very hard to make Dante the Dante of old but with a new look. Why not Vergil, why the subtle change in the design but the drastic change in character, the opposite of Dante?

Vergil seems bland now but with a hint of a dark undertone. I've compaired him to David from Prometeus once and that is still my assesment. Sometimes robotic, sometimes syntetic, like a robot programed to say the things he says and mimicing the emotions rather than actually feeling them. The way he greets him, the way he tells him who he is, even that whole line about humanity vs a girl seem ungeniune, superficial, almost performened.

Virgil was a samurai in so many respects but now he seems like an corporate robot who mimics a personality.

I don't mind that they'd changed the desire for power (by joining with the demons) to a desire for revenge (to kill demons) but his personality just isn't striking me or even sitting well with the image of Vergil I have. Replace the body and the personality just doesn't hold up. Dante, on the other hand can be replaced with a red coat and emo white hair style and we're back. Not Vergil.

I'm glad that Vergil is there, as promised by Annon, and I'm pleased his playable.

Azurel

i think this Vergil seems pretty darn cool. i like the cool and calcuating way hes portrayed, and i think NT has done a briliant job of portraying him. if you have a DIFFERENT OPINION WELL I SAY ok fair enough :D

Yes. Yes, they did do a brilliant job of portraying him. Subtle. Nuanced. And yet still to the point when it comes to setting his goals.

I actually thought the Vergil from Devil May Cry 3 was a bit... cliche and unrealistic. This Vergil makes far more sense, and his motives are realistic. For me... that's good enough. Imagine it as a "What If" story set in the DMC Universe.

Considering that it's a parallel universe, then it is very much a "what if". And a very well done "what if" at that. Motivations drive characters. Without that, there's nothing for your story to stand on.

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
Damn man I forgot I was in the Internet where opinions doesn't matter! So, f*ck it. I'm just gonna make some coffee now and enjoy the show. No hard feelings guys:)

Dante47

Also, calling him robotic based off a two minute trailer with only a few lines from him isn't exactly fair...

While were on the subject, doesn't everyone in a video game cut scene seem robotic?

Razyel

Soul Reaver
I honestly don't know if he wants to rule the world, but I do know he's careful enough to to reveal that up front. I honestly don't believe that he wants to free the private citizenry just to rule over them. They would see through that.

I think that this is just about getting the mission done. And if Dante stands in the way of that by rescuing Kat, then Dante might end up putting everyone at risk because of that. Vergil may end up going overboard (an understandable reaction) when it comes to liberating the people. If he's almost at his goal, then of course he would do anything to see it through. Even if it meant fighting Dante.

This isn't about a takeover. At least, I don't think so.

Well even Hitler wanted to "liberate" Germany... I do somewhat agree with you, but my vision of this Vergil is that after everything is said and done, he will begin to fear that things might get back the way they were before and in his mind the only logical solution is to keep all the strings in his hands in other words become a dictator.

So do I think that Vergil is a villain? Not at all, just under huge pressure and great responsibility that comes from great power ( see what I did here :lol: )

Is he corrupt? Atleast not yet...

berto

I Saw the Devil
Also, calling him robotic based off a two minute trailer with only a few lines from him isn't exactly fair...
Well first and foremost, why not? Why can't I say my impressions of him based on what I've seen. The tread is called "So what do you guys think about this Vergil?" Welp, that's what i think.

Second, and least important, I also say so from hearing him talk on that demo where he tells dante that Mudus doesn't know about him while Kat walks him to the factory.

While were on the subject, doesn't everyone in a video game cut scene seem robotic?
Nope. Not since the PS2 era, and even before that.

Azurel

Well even Hitler wanted to "liberate" Germany... I do somewhat agree with you, but my vision of this Vergil is that after everything is said and done, he will begin to fear that things might get back the way they were before and in his mind the only logical solution is to keep all the strings in his hands in other words become a dictator.

So do I think that Vergil is a villain? Not at all, just under huge pressure and great responsibility that comes from great power ( see what I did here :lol: )

Is he corrupt? Atleast not yet...

Fair enough. I hope they don't go down that road, though.

Well, we'll see. They may or may not be the overused "villain twist", but I think, for now, that Vergil has a lot under the surface with his character.

What would be nice, though, that if they kept the "twist", they would actually show Dante losing and Vergil conquering everything.

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
just under huge pressure and great responsibility that comes from great power ( see what I did here :lol: )

seewhatyoudidthere.jpg

Razyel

Soul Reaver
Fair enough. I hope they don't go down that road, though.

Well, we'll see. They may or may not be the overused "villain twist", but I think, for now, that Vergil has a lot under the surface with his character.

What would be nice, though, that if they kept the "twist", they would actually show Dante losing and Vergil conquering everything.
I'm just wondering how has he managed to stay hidden this far and what separated the twins. It almost seems like it was arranged that Vergil could live the easy way and Dante would have to fight the hard way.
Maybe angels have something to do with this, maybe the Order is working for the angels and Vergil is just a puppet leader?
So many possible ways this might turn into ^_^

Top Bottom