• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So what do you guys think about this Vergil?

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
wearing all black doesn't mean you match. It means your very unhappy or something else entirely. Vergil does match, and his pants are just more expensive than my 3 pairs of jeans that i alternate through out the week. Don't hate the player, hate the game

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
Huh. I'm surprised some people dislike him so much. My first glance at him made me happy, since he seems closer to his original incarnation in both style and manner than Dante. His behavior is a little overwrought, but I'm willing to bet that's Vergil laying it on thick so as to turn on Dante later. (Yes, it would be predictable, but everything about this game is predictable. The girl gets kidnapped and Dante has manpain over it? Seriously? We're still doing that that trope?)

If Ninja Theory knows anything about Vergil's character, they will make him duplicitous. Vergil has a history of deception in all of his major appearances as much as Dante has a history of being a smart-ass. So I'm really hoping this Vergil only wants to break down the establishment in order to BECOME the establishment, in direct contrast to Dante's true and total anarchy. That'd be an interesting philosophical conflict that fits in with the game's overall vibe of corrupt order versus liberated chaos. He may do it for good reasons - ruling the humans who clearly (to him) aren't smart or strong enough to rule themselves - but by any means necessary.

I would be really disappointed if Vergil starts off as a good guy who really means no harm. That would be too much of a departure from his predecessor, who cared about his brother, but was still a mass-murdering autocrat capable of doing wrong for the sake of his lofty goals. Perhaps it would be intended as a perfect opposite to Dante's hero's journey - Dante goes from dark to light, Vergil goes from light to dark - but I'm not sure I trust Ninja Theory to handle that kind of parallel with enough nuance. They've been so hamfisted and unsubtle with characterization and story so far (though to be fair, no worse than other DMC games) that I think they'd be better off keeping it simple.

darkdeamon92/dmc3/

well for me i respect every opinion out there....:)...........but for ME i loved him!....hes look is gr8...hes hair is ok but could be better and hes voice is gr8 its got more life in it :)

and they work together to bring hell upon the demons....that is all i ever wanted from the start!....finally some brotherly love :D

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
well for me i respect every opinion out there....:)...........but for ME i loved him!....hes look is gr8...hes hair is ok but could be better and hes voice is gr8 its got more life in it :)

and they work together to bring hell upon the demons....that is all i ever wanted from the start!....finally some brotherly love :D

When I seen this Trailer I have the same opinion on this new Vergil, and Im happy that he is playable.

Haven

Devil May Cry's a Rockin Baby!
He's pretty much what I was expecting him to look like (resemblance to new Dante, with slicked back white hair). His personality is a little odd, him being a good guy and all. And if he does betray Dante, then that would be the most obvious twist. But seeing this is a different universe, maybe Vergil will stay good? Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing gameplay (if he is indeed playable).

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm neutral on this vergil. It could go either for me.

I liked the old vergil but more casually than most. I'm not a member of his fan club.

this one seems more like a leader and a more subtle manipulator. Vergil in the old games was more of a manipulator of force.

He would slam your head into a wall to get you to do what he want. The new vergil would do the same through words.

not a fan off his hair.

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
Watching the trailer again, this Vergil seems to have a little spark of bright-eyed fanaticism. He's pushing on Dante hard to be totally loyal to him, probably the same way he got himself a whole Order of followers, and it reeks of manipulation. Considering he suffered at the hands of demons as much as Dante did, he probably really does want his brother on his side against them for sentimental reasons, but since he's a shrewd businessman, he's also not above using Dante for practical reasons, either. I predict quite the confrontation by the end. The one thing the Vergil vs. Dante conflict lacked in other DMC media was low-key interaction - they expressed everything through one-liners and beating the snot out of each other. Which was great, but limited. I've always wanted to see how they'd relate as brothers, before the enmity set in. Looking forward to more of that.

Really bummed that Dante doesn't remember having a brother at all, though, along with his mother. I liked that Dante and Vergil had this whole history together before. Now there's only this game to build the context of their relationship. It could very easily end up too shallow.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
It detracts from the drama, I never said it took it away from the whole series. It just seems that whenever tension is building, Dante has to make some witty remark. That's just me nitpicking, I don't want to argue.
I figured that; I was being sarcastic because it's clear that DMC has drama despite the main character being painted by the creators in contrast to the generally dark, brooding, serious theme of the games. If I spell it out, the relationship between Dante and Vergil is dramatic, regardless of what anyone thinks of Dante's banter.

Top Bottom