• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sexism/misogyny in dmc

Awake

Under the Promised Flag
Kat is the best Devil May Cry girl. Every other girl is just some cliche thrown in there and yea, they can slay demons with just as much skill as Dante but, they're just not characters that really stick out. They are defined by trite tropes and cliches and that's it. They rarely offer anything more than just being the "action movie hot chick" :sleep:

Female video game characters that are more than just a pretty face are few and far between and since DMC has been a franchise that has never done anything else, a character like Kat is a nice change of pace and I see nothing wrong with this franchise for bringing that.

It's a change that is also for the better.
What? Kat is a sick cliched character...

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I'm done with this stupid sh!t. I love Devil May Cry just as much as the next fan but it's just pathetic to see these people constantly try to reach and scrap anything up to try and justify their defenses for the franchise just because they want to support everything DMC at all times.

It's ridiculous. The series does deserve its fair share of criticisms and these are also very fair ones. If you people don't see that then you really are just blind fanatics. Screw this.

You're not doing yourself any favors acting like there isn't anything wrong or that needs fixing. You're just making yourself look dumb.

As a fan of Devil May Cry, I would only want it to improve where it failed. NOT F#CKING MAKE EXCUSES FOR IT.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
AND LADY WEARS A GODDAMN SCHOOLGIRL OUTFIT.
3mLydMU.png

IncarnatedDemon

You dismissed DMC women as nothing but eye candy even though they all have their own story that's not about being sexy.
To prove a point i brought up Kat. That is that being sexy was not the main purpose of the characters.
Trish for example was created by Mundus to get Dante killed. There was little focus on Trish's tits and ass.
But you say "No, it was all sex appeal".

It's hypocritical that you critizes Lucia for wearing tight pants or her belly showing when Kat's leg is showing and she has cleavage going on. I'd argue the camera angles were on two occasions made to focus on Kat's tits and arse. Infact early concept arts of Kat had eye candy features:
h4kBv.jpg

And that's fine.

What is not fine is you going on a BS train and bashing the characters just because you don't like them much.

Neither i or any other fan of the dmc women are making excuses. We have all expressed (i have in this thread) how cheap Gloria scene was. You ignore this and use that scene only to bash Trish.

You make a fair point though. Trish for example is not particularly interesting. She is strong, beatiful and cool, but there is not much to her besides that.
But as a fan you see potential in this character and hope for it to improve. Contrary to what you said about us fans making excuses, we do want better character development for Trish, LAdy etc.
That's what i expressed when i made a topic about a Mary or Trish spin off. What did you do?
That's right, trash Bayonetta and talk about how you dont care about Trish.
Hell i even attempted to make a fictional story for Trish. Sadly i failed to make anything extraordinary (Trish Devil trigger, Black Lightning). Though the rough sketch of story was nice, i met a wall i could not overcome (yet).

And one last thing, the dmc women are VIDEOGAME characters, not portrayal of real women. They aren't supposed to look normal.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
You dismissed DMC women as nothing but eye candy even though they all have their own story that's not about being sexy.
To prove a point i brought up Kat. That is that being sexy was not the main purpose of the characters.
Trish for example was created by Mundus to get Dante killed. There was little focus on Trish's tits and ass.

It's hypocritical that you critizes Lucia for wearing tight pants or her belly showing when Kat's leg is showing and she has cleavage going on. I'd argue the camera angles were on two occasions made to focus on Kat's tits and arse. Infact early concept arts of Kat had eye candy features:
h4kBv.jpg

And that's fine.

What is not fine is you going on a BS train and bashing the characters just because you don't like them much.

Neither i or any other fan of the dmc women are making excuses. We have all expressed (i have in this thread) how cheap Gloria scene was. You ignore this and use that scene only to bash Trish.

You make a fair point though. Trish for example is not particularly interesting. She is strong, beatiful and cool, but there is not much to her besides that.
But as a fan you see potential in this character and hope for it to improve. Contrary to what you said about us fans making excuses, we do want better character development for Trish, LAdy etc.
That's what i expressed when i made a topic about a Mary or Trish spin off. What did you do?
That's right, trash Bayonetta and talk about how you dont care about Trish.
Hell i even attempted to make a fictional story for Trish. Sadly i failed to make anything extraordinary (Trish Devil trigger, Black Lightning). Though the rough sketch of story was nice, i met a wall i could not overcome (yet).

And one last thing, the dmc women are VIDEOGAME characters, not portrayal of real women. They aren't supposed to look normal.

Actually a better word for it is that they don't NEED to look normal to be good characters. Granted its odd to pass off a good character dressed like a showgirl but many people consider DMC3 Dante a good character despite not ever wearing a shirt.

The fact that Dante dresses as odd as he does (as cool as his DMC1 and DMC2 outfits compared to his DMC3 playboy and DMC4 cowboy get up their still odd clothing nobody will normally wear) should be factor in how everyone else in DMC dresses. They dress how the creators wants them to they don't give a damn about what is normal or not even in other series where the setting and characters are still normal Capcom will still have the characters dress oddly.

Plus the likes of Lady wears loose fitting clothing to allow for mobility in movement and slick acrobatics and is the most flexible and acrobatic character in DMC because of it. Is there a particular reason why Kat dress the way she does outside just cause they can and I'm not saying their is nothing wrong with the way Kat is dressed?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium

What if I told you that being "eye-candy" and having "sex appeal" isn't dependent on the character's own background, but just how the developers design the character. Keep in mind that what you're talking about is specifically visual cues, on the design of the characters - their background plays no part in it.

That's what being shallow is all about - caring about looks and not caring about anything else about the person.

Also, while you say he dismissed DMC gals and talked up Kat, you essentially did the opposite; offering up thoughtful points about the DMC gals and then diminishing Kat's. Put your positives and his positives together and you'll actually have the whole picture.

However, their background is still beside the point.

As per the title of this thread though, I'd still say that Devil May Cry is in no way misogynistic, considering the definition of the word. Sexist? Mildly, if only for their portrayal of pretty much all genders at certain points for silly reasons.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
As a side note, I actually sorta don't like Lady's DMC3 design that much, because the color scheme is God awful.

EDIT: Ah'm talkin' about her ugly-ass pink boots and purple bike shorts. Totally doesn't jive with the rest of it.

Last edited:

IncarnatedDemon

What if I told you that being "eye-candy" and having "sex appeal" isn't dependent on the character's own background, but just how the developers design the character. Keep in mind that what you're talking about is specifically visual cues, on the design of the characters - their background plays no part in it.

That's what being shallow is all about - caring about looks and not caring about anything else about the person.

Also, while you say he dismissed DMC gals and talked up Kat, you essentially did the opposite; offering up thoughtful points about the DMC gals and then diminishing Kat's. Put your positives and his positives together and you'll actually have the whole picture.

However, their background is still beside the point.

As per the title of this thread though, I'd still say that Devil May Cry is in no way misogynistic, considering the definition of the word. Sexist? Mildly, if only for their portrayal of pretty much all genders at certain points for silly reasons.
Where have i done that?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Where have i done that?

Lady had her own story where she was out to kill her father.
Lucia had her own story about not being a human but a demon creation of Arius, who made a bond with Matier, a human. Later Matier told Lucia, who was unease at knowing what she was, "Though we're not bound by blood, we are bound by experience". To this Lucia said "Thank you mother".
Trish, a creation of Mundus. Meeting Dante made her go from hollow to gaining humanity in her soul.

Yet...all of that was JUST FOR sex appeal.
Then we have Kat, a supportive character, who helped the Order. Her story was bad and as result she had put up a barrier around herself to avoid being hurt.

Or maybe I've read that wrong. I dunno. If so, a thousand apple geeze.

Still the point stands, the characters' backgrounds don't really factor into them being ogled.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
As a side note, I actually sorta don't like Lady's DMC3 design that much, because the color scheme is God awful.

EDIT: Ah'm talkin' about her ugly-ass pink boots and purple bike shorts. Totally doesn't jive with the rest of it.

Pink boots??? They look mahogany to me.

On the topic of fashion sense I don't like Kat's sweater......jacket...hoodie whatever due to how the sleeves and hoodie are dyed gray and the rest brown.....okay not the hoodie but the sleeves looks like they were sprayed gray. I never seen anything like it. Also I don't like DmC Vergil's pants it meshes badly with everything else IMO.....or perhaps the pants looks lame to me. Lets see......not a fan of Trish's get up in DMC1 although a bit happy they added an undershirt in DMC4 but not digging her hairstyle in that one. Worst of all Lucia's blue lipstick really disturbs me although its mainly in game graphics and CG artwork it looks fine but still.....BLUE LIPSTICK!?

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
The in game model were very red while the CG were mahogany/brownish and now I look back they do stand out quite visually.

As long as people are capable of looking beyond the word to the origin of the term, or are aware of the context, I'm not sure why we need to be afraid of using words.

I thought the term slut wasn't about enjoying sex, it was about enjoying casual sex with many different people. Not that I think that's inherently a bad thing, but let's get the def right. Some people confuse it with 'prostitute' but it doesn't mean that. Historically it even means just someone or something with low standards of hygiene. Like you could walk into a 'slutty' house or have 'sluttish' hair and it doesn't have anything to do with sex or prostitution.

Well, I largely agree, I'm not for censoring or anything, but its similar to when I see people call this or that "gay." The word "slut" usually implies that their is something wrong with the various things you mentioned: enjoying casual sex with multiple partners (so what?), being a prostitute (again, why is this so frowned upon?), dressing suggestively (a highly subjective concept), etc.

Anyway, whenever I see someone getting all judgmental and referring to any women or person who enjoys expressing and utilizing their sexuality as a slut, it just bothers me, because it continues to propagate the notion that sexual promiscuity is a bad thing.

Last edited:

V

Oldschool DMC fan
You're saying that Dante has a thing for girls who look like his mom in trampy clothing.

I'm telling you, Dante has an incest fetish. He's in to some sh!t.

Well he is half-demon. I'd be disappointed if he wasn't a little kinky.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Well, I largely agree, I'm not for censoring or anything, but its similar to when I see people call this or that "gay." The word "slut" usually implies that their is something wrong with the various things you mentioned: enjoying casual sex with multiple partners (so what?), being a prostitute (again, why is this so frowned upon?), dressing suggestively (a highly subjective concept), etc.

Anyway, whenever I see someone getting all judgmental and referring to any women or person who enjoys expressing and utilizing their sexuality as a slut, it just bothers me, because it continues to propagate the notion that their is a negative thing such as "too much" sexuality.

I hear you. As it goes I think people are realizing that men can be 'whores' and women can be like men... Not sure society in general will ever fully respect the prospect of lots of sleeping around any time soon but at least it's learning that it's not the end of the world. Just thinking about people on here now arguing over which DMC girl is showing how much skin compared to the general views 50 years ago, at least we've made progress enough to be able to talk about it without people screaming obscenity. I'm frustrated by the fact sex and sexuality is even a deal in this day and age, but gotta be patient I guess. Hope future generations laugh at this one.

Top Bottom