• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sexism/misogyny in dmc

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yeah...we have seen how suggestive a gal can be dressed in DmC, so it's not like Kat is an example of the contemporary, down-to-earth slut.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
How sheltered were you growing up?

"Ratchet" and "attention whores"? Geez. That's some pretty rash generalizations right there because during the summer, those kind of shorts are a pretty normal thing like, anywhere.

Pfffttt...sheltered? I just grew up in a ghetto neighborhood or was well.........near people who either like that or has that perception. I did grew up in a Christian household although I myself is an Atheist/Agnostic so that may have been some influence on painting how people are perceived based on how they dress.

Like I said its all a matter of perception and understanding. I now girls who will occasionally dress like Kat and they were fine while I know girls who dresses like Kat and they were as how I described them because wearing such low shorts to expose a lot of thigh can be sexually alluring to boys (or girls).

Plus its not a discussion of what sluts wear but eye candy and booty shorts can cause boys/girls to stare. The fact is they chose to have Kat wear shorts and have her top open is as about as a reason for me stare like Lady's outfit in DMC4 therefor potentially making her eye candy (although unlike Lady in DMC4) was eye candy with a purpose outside just being eye candy.

And the whole "DMC isn't as down to Earth as DmC so the women get some kind special excuse" is BS.

DmC could had easily dressed Kat just as skimpy just as much as DMC could have covered them up a bit.

Also I never said DMC girls were excused. You said Kat dressed the most "normal" out of the Devil May Cry women and I counteract that argument by claiming being "normal" isn't in DMC's dictionary and its not just the women DmC is more "normal" than DMC (well as normal as a supernatural series can be). Even as odd and ridiculous as DmC Vergil's get up is its still more normal in modern day society than what DMC3 Vergil wore. When I compared DMC to a fantasy I was meaning something along side of Final Fantasy in which it has characters dressed in rather flamboyant or "unique" sense of fashion/style not existent in modern day society or has a flare that isn't common in modern day society.

Unless you we're referring to a different meaning of "normal".

Plus Kat's get up is very comparable to DMC4 Lady's get up. A very low shorts and an (slightly) exposing top (although Lady has a bigger rack and Kat wears an undershirt) and boots. So if anything Kat can cover up some more although I'm not complaining I'm enjoying the view.

Its not an argument of whether booty shorts are bad whether Kat is a eye candy or not. Which she is to me that is and its not like eye candy can be relevant. I mean the likes of Bayonetta and Kasumi (DOA) are eye candy and the plot revolve around them and they can kick major a$$.

Plus since we're men we don't see the fanservice goes both ways when you have the main protagonists who are generally handsome men (DMC1 or DMC4) or hot pretty boys (DMC3 Dante, DmC Dante, and Nero) and well the fact Dante is shirtless all of DMC3 and the naked scenes with DmC Dante.....I think the fan service is higher for the men than the girls but we as men don't notice that.

Some may disagree with me on this but I consider the Gloria scenes equal to the Dante naked scenes in DmC. I'm sure some girls must have felt the same way about naked Dante the same way I felt about Gloria. Now imagine if Dante was a chick and the trailer scene happened but with naked female Dante (or she at least was wearing bra and panties) would we look at the scene must differently with a female doing it or the fact that DMC3 could've had a female protagonists dressed like that rather than a male. Dildo Faggins explains it best.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I'm agnostic and I don't see how that has anything to do with you just being pretty judgmental on people based on their attire.

Me neither but certain groups and society has guidelines or criteria for how people should or shouldn't dress especially from religious backgrounds (sometimes racial). Certain people whether from a religion or not are judgmental. In history various old school societies have social levels and people who dress a certain were address as part of such social barrier (rich, high class, poor, commoner, royalty) and even today people are rather judgmental of how people dress, ergo if you're not wearing the latest the fashion or what is hot in HOT TOPIC or whatever you're.......I don't know really but its not as nice if you were. Lets face it we're all a little judgmental (even some more/less than others).

berto

I Saw the Devil
Of course one can take offense to things. But taking offense and debating about reality are two different things. I presume we are (dmc forum) not delusional like Anita, so we should be able to spot misogyny or sexism if there is any.

It seems there isn't though :)
Here's the thing. By offence I mean sexist and misogynistic since that's what the title of the thread said. Had it said Racism/Bigotry in DMC/DmC that's what offence would've meant.

In reality, however, I could argue that the game is, in fact, misandristic. Just look at Dante, handsome, strong and well built. That is an unrealistic depiction of men and displays an unhealthy image for young boys to strive to. Is it true? Hell, no, but I could certainly argue the point.

In fact, I can take it just a bit further:
EDIT:
Lady and Trish treatment in 4 was sexist!
Nero's existence is sexist. It's the Notebook effect with that guy. Good looking character with a tremendous single mindedness that revolves around this one girl. Nothing he does is without her involvement and was created for the sole purpose of female appeal. A creation made for the sole purpose of putting women on the controller with unrealistic expectations of romance and appearance that has direct effects on the treatment of men and boys in society. If Nero is such a progressive character why doesn't he look like this?
old-guy-dancing.jpg

Because Kirye is a shallow b!tch!

Again, is it true? Double Hell, no. These are no more true than stating that DMC is a sexist game. You could argue it if you are looking for it, and some people are, actively, and they do with everything, not just this game.

At no point in the game did I think that women in DMC/DmC were a miss interpretation of the sex or a shallow chauvinistic objectification that promotes stereotypes and misconceptions. I thought they were styled portrayal of characters, no different than the men. Yeah, Lady and Trish are dressed like sluts in 4 but they have the benefit of already winning me over before hand with character and not T&A. It's true, that's no excuse, but I already knew them before they got slutty and liked them then. Same with Dante, I liked him before he dressed like a man whore/rocker in 3.

I do get that this is a game series of men, for men, by men, and shall not parish from the industry so the women can be overly, shall we say 'fantasy women,' but I get the same from the men. It's not exactly promoting the women and the image they conjure, it's the men on this one.

Plus since we're men we don't see the fanservice goes both ways when you have the main protagonists who are generally handsome men (DMC1 or DMC4) or hot pretty boys (DMC3 Dante, DmC Dante, and Nero) and well the fact Dante is shirtless all of DMC3 and the naked scenes with DmC Dante.....I think the fan service is higher for the men than the girls but we as men don't notice that.

Some may disagree with me on this but I consider the Gloria scenes equal to the Dante naked scenes in DmC. I'm sure some girls must have felt the same way about naked Dante the same way I felt about Gloria. Now imagine if Dante was a chick and the trailer scene happened but with naked female Dante (or she at least was wearing bra and panties) would we look at the scene must differently with a female doing it or the fact that DMC3 could've had a female protagonists dressed like that rather than a male. Dildo Faggins explains it best.

Yeah, what he said.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
Ugh, can we stop with using the word slut? It's such a counter productive and awful term to use, why any person would feel the need to criticize or be judgmental towards a woman who enjoys sex is beyond me.
Social views and established parameters of sexual behavioral norms established by centuries of male dominance and female enforcement from older matriarchs to the younger men and women mostly derived from medieval times during which Christian morals became the norm in western society. Duh.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Kat is the most normal female character in the whole franchise and sure she's cute and I'd f#ck the sh!t outta her but, at least she has more going for her than just a pretty face.

Hope you dont mind prison considering you just said you'd f*ck the sh!t out of 16 year old girl.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Ugh, can we stop with using the word slut? It's such a counter productive and awful term to use, why any person would feel the need to criticize or be judgmental towards a woman who enjoys sex is beyond me.

As long as people are capable of looking beyond the word to the origin of the term, or are aware of the context, I'm not sure why we need to be afraid of using words.

I thought the term slut wasn't about enjoying sex, it was about enjoying casual sex with many different people. Not that I think that's inherently a bad thing, but let's get the def right. Some people confuse it with 'prostitute' but it doesn't mean that. Historically it even means just someone or something with low standards of hygiene. Like you could walk into a 'slutty' house or have 'sluttish' hair and it doesn't have anything to do with sex or prostitution.

As for DMC women dressing like sluts... I can't say what the average woman who enjoys various casual sex can be said to dress like. I don't think any of them dress like whores either. Has anyone here actually seen a whore? Tip: they don't dress like DMC gals.

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I don't think Kat is 16. We don't know her age but, I think it's safe to say she's roughly around the same age as Vergil and Dante.

Actually it was mentioned that Kat joined the Order at an early age (a reference to Katherine or St. Catherine of Alexandria who became a matyr and converted thousands of people into Christians and became a Christian at the age of 14) and that was a year before the events and during that time she was still living with her foster parents and was considered a disturbed youth by society so she is young compared to Vergil and Dante or younger so I'll say at the least 18/19. I don't think the writers will display a young girl like that (that is something I'll expect out of a Japanese fighting game......DOA.....Soul Calibur) or have her engage in a romantic relationship with someone past her legal age barrier (Vergil) but hey who knows.

Besides Kat is a fictional character its not like she is real and if she is young that fact is negated by the fact she is played by an old actor and since Sage Mayers looks close to Kat due to the motion capture technology saying you want to f*ck Kat is almost like saying you want to f*ck Sage Mayers who is of legal age. Now if its a little girl who looks like 10 or 15...or younger.......then that is a different story with Kat at least she looks old whether she is of legal age or not.

On a side note I have an UBER crush on Talim from Soul Calibur. Am I pedophile......I hope not I had a crush on her when I was 17 and she was like 15-17 and it reminds me of a situation I had with this Filipino girl who was 2 years younger than me and she was 14 and I was 16 turning 17 but we broke up when I turned 18. 19 now she is probably 16.....so well....

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Yeah, Dante is as much (if not 10x more) a drool-object as anyone else in this series and would not be an attainable goal as role model or sex object for anyone. He's objectified as much as they are, whether he is running around topless, making sexual innuendo, flying naked through the air, talking about the size of his baloney pony. . .

It's not a misogynist series. If it were, the women in it would be portrayed as negative stereotypes, bad influences, enemies, and in demeaning and cheap ways. The best I could come up with, knowing that I am looking for examples of women being treated badly in the series, is their sidelined roles in 4 and that's not much of an argument since women are always the primary sidekick in all games bar 4, and that's 1 out of 5, a minority case (and why not have a dude as the 2nd focus for Dante a change? They make it even in DmC where Dante has both a male and female concern in Kat and Vergil, and sides with her). For each example of a female character acting in a 'negative' way, it's easy enough to fine redeeming features as well, or to find a male character acting like a douche (and shaming his entire gender if you wanna read into it that way).

Trish comes in for a lot of flak, but she was just a disposable servant and was dressed up supposedly to lure Dante so she reflects his taste? I first saw her described as "a biker chick" or a "rocker chick" online and I wouldn't say what she wears fails to fit somewhere in that description or is overly revealing. I mean it does have a purpose in the plot in that sense, it's not like she turned up at his door wearing a bikini, and pulled an Eva from Snake Eater on him.

Kyrie was a wet blanket, which... I can't say I like to see, but I guess wet blankets have their place in things, too. Sometimes a character can just be vulnerable... not everyone has to be a superwoman and I don't think the series generally makes victims out of its women. She's also in the minority since most DMC women are either physically strong and capable, or mentally strong, or both.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
On a side note I have an UBER crush on Talim from Soul Calibur. Am I pedophile......I hope not I had a crush on her when I was 17 and she was like 15-17 and it reminds me of a situation I had with this Filipino girl who was 2 years younger than me and she was 14 and I was 16 turning 17 but we broke up when I turned 18. 19 now she is probably 16.....so well....
I always thought Talim was pretty cute too.

Hell, I've always had crush on Sailor Mars and I found out they are pretty much all just 14 years old.
1350872069658.jpg

No regrets buddy.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Trish comes in for a lot of flak, but she was just a disposable servant and was dressed up supposedly to lure Dante so she reflects his taste? I first saw her described as "a biker chick" or a "rocker chick" online and I wouldn't say what she wears fails to fit somewhere in that description or is overly revealing. I mean it does have a purpose in the plot in that sense, it's not like she turned up at his door wearing a bikini, and pulled an Eva from Snake Eater on him.
You're saying that Dante has a thing for girls who look like his mom in trampy clothing.

I'm telling you, Dante has an incest fetish. He's in to some sh!t.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I always thought Talim was pretty cute too.

Hell, I've always had crush on Sailor Mars and I found out they are pretty much all just 14 years old.
1350872069658.jpg

No regrets buddy.

Oh anime!

Talim is my favorite Soul Calibur chick (or the one I'm most sexual attracted to) with Sophitia being 2nd, Lexia being 3rd, and Pyhrra being 4th. Not really a huge fan of Ivy though.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Oh anime!

Talim is my favorite Soul Calibur chick (or the one I'm most sexual attracted to) with Sophitia being 2nd, Lexia being 3rd, and Pyhrra being 4th. Not really a huge fan of Ivy though.
I think the hottest Soul Calibur girl is Hilde.
500full.jpg

Tira is a close 2nd.
xlarge_sc5_pub_ss_tira1_011.jpg

Top Bottom