• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sexism/misogyny in dmc

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I don't think there is anything like that. Misogyny to me is like some kind of deep seated totally aggressive hatred of women. DMC and DmC don't do that ever.
However, there was some crazy person on here a while ago who was either trolling or nuts who said DMC/ DmC was anti women and that DmC Dante was molesting Kat due to that scene where he has no clothes on:facepalm:

The only thing I will point out is, yes, some people would see characters like Gloria/ Trish as being nothing more than eye candy. However, for me, Trish is important to the plot. She's powerful, she helps Dante out, plus that whole scene in DMC where she gets hit by Mundus while trying to save him. Even disguised as Gloria, Trish is still helping out.

Kyrie, I'm not too fond of her, but she could be worse. Sure, she is like a damsel in distress, but that's okay. Not every female character has to be tough as nails, going around killing everything in sight with no fear. Games need all kinds of female characters. Plus, with Kyrie, her strength is in her heart, the way she trusts and belives in Nero even when people see him as dangerous. Through her capture, Nero is forced to defeat the Saviour. Sure, I would have liked it if she could defend herself a little considering Credo is her brother, but, like I said, Kyrie could have been a lot worse.

Having said that though, I just don't see DMC or DmC as being sexist or anti women or any of that other stuff. It's just a game, and as a woman, I like playing it. People who play games and then try and say it's anti women, sexist, homophobic or racist need to find something else to do with their time because they seem to be reading way too much into games.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Same here, but i figured we could visit the topic to see if we are wrong.
I think Gloria scene was cheap and tasteless.

Trish's character was degraded there.
I'll agree with that, it did cheapen her character, but I don't see it as sexist. Even as Gloria, she was still helping Dante.
But I do wish they had left out that scene where she was doing that 'acrobatics' demon fighting. It just seemed out of place more than anything.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Of course it wasn't malicious, but that's one thing that stands out most as close to sexism or misogny.
I guess some people could be offended with Nevan if they took it too far, considering she's a sexy vampire lady who doesn't wear clothes and then tries to put the moves on Dante while implying she did the same to Sparda. Then the whole thing where Dante shoots her. But, she's a demon, therefore, Dante needs to kill her. It's his job to kill her, plus she attacked first.

Those lure things in the shape of women that Bael has. Got to admit I thought it was a bit weird having a demon using lesbian lures, but Dante's reaction to it was funny. :tongue: Those didn't fool him at all. Plus, scenes like that, to me it's just college humour. Nothing to be taken seriously.

I think I'll mention DmC too, or more specifically Lilith. Now she does grind my gears. She's this fake plastic surgery addicted woman with huge fake tits, fawning over Mundus and wanting to do anything to make him happy, while calling herself a bitch, and happily letting him dog her over the desk, even though he will never love her. Then she thinks having his kid will make him want to be with her and share his power. That really is a bad image of women :facepalm: But I think she bugs me because women like that exist in real life, and I don't like women like that at all. They just degrade themselves by acting that way.

Kat on the other hand, I'm fine with her. She's not a fighter, but she holds out against torture, risks her life to help Vergil in the Order raid and also makes Dante realise humans aren't all bad and gives him a reason to fight

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Kat is pretty much the only female in Devil May Cry that isn't there just to be some eye candy.

You can possibly count Kyrie but that I think just shows how poor the DMC guys always were when it came to characters. When a character isn't just the trampy eye candy, she's a cardboard cutout love interest for a really shallow cliche angsty romance and not much of a character at all.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Kat is pretty much the only female in Devil May Cry that isn't there just to be some eye candy.
You can possibly count Kyrie but that I think just shows how poor the DMC guys always were when it came to characters. When a character isn't just the trampy eye candy, she's a cardboard cutout love interest for a really shallow cliche angsty romance and not much of a character at all.

Its not like Kat's design can't be taken the same way.

View attachment 872

harry_potter___dat_ass_by_koneko_chaan-d3a0zzf.jpg

Actually the best example of a female in Devil May Cry would be Lucia wouldn't she be.

Shes properly dress, perhaps the most properly dress in the series (outside Kyrie) and definetely more properly dress than Kat and those extremely short booty shorts, can kick major ass, actually had great impact on the plot on the basis she defeated the main villain who was being powered up by a demon emperor, took matters in her own hands, and got her own character arc and development. Plus going by my power scaling chart in the DMC section she is one of the strongest characters in the series (toppling over Vergil, Nero, and Trish) almost rivaling Dante.

Her only flaws is the fact she was captured by the villains but it wasn't so easily like Trish, Kyrie, and Kat she sort of went down fighting.

Plus she is very sexy without being too much.....well her accent is annoying.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
What they did to Lady (and Trish) in transition from 3 to 4 screams it.

Originally she was a fiercely independent self-appointed demon exterminator with no penchant to rely on or give in to Dante. She dressed practically for the job considering she used gymnastics to survive. Determined, ruthless etc. She had a role in the story as a kind of foil for Dante and was obviously an important influence on him as he says so himself. Result= not a trivial eye-candy character in 3, but a vital one.

Fast forward to 4 and she's apparently had a boob job, forgot how to use buttons and enjoys harassing Dante for money. She's nothing but a sexed up cameo in 4. Better they hadn't put her in at all than put in what they did and ruined her character. The way Trish was introduced with soaring crotch shots was pretty lame as well, and believe me I have no problem with hot videogame women onscreen. I just have a problem when that's all their characters have been reduced to when clearly before they were meant to be important.

The women 1-3 all have some kind of redeeming features although I reckon 2 and 3 are the only ones in which their roles feel truly important. Trish in 1 seems to be important to Dante simply because she looks like Eva which is odd. I wouldn't have pegged Dante for a guy taken in that easily but he has a good scream over her death anyways. *shrug* Unless she really was supposed to be a reincarnation of Eva.

It's not 'misogyny' per se to do this, but it implies two heretofore important female characters become posturing/gyrating drool objects instead of having an important role, and the one who's meant to have maybe the most important role is simply an angelic waif forever in need of rescue. It doesn't gel with the role and breed of DMC women as we've come to know them and it stands out badly. That is, tough/ruthless but obviously inwardly sensitive characters who all have important lessons for Dante or themselves. In 4 they have... well, nothing to offer. The focus is obviously on the Nero-Dante relationship, at the apparent expense of the others.

If that's how they want to go I don't really care, but I think it's a poorer game than the others in terms of characters for sure. Especially since the developers wanted to make DMC appeal more to women, and their answer was to reduce the roles of the women in the game to near-spectators and eye candy.

Last edited:

IncarnatedDemon

Of course one can take offense to things. But taking offense and debating about reality are two different things. I presume we are (dmc forum) not delusional like Anita, so we should be able to spot misogyny or sexism if there is any.

It seems there isn't though :)

EDIT:
Lady and Trish treatment in 4 was sexist!

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Its not like Kat's design can't be taken the same way.

View attachment 872
Kat's wearing some pretty normal everyday clothes that I see a lot of girls wear. Sorry, she just doesn't compare really to the rest of the girls DMC has to offer. Not saying that all of the other girls are bad but, come on. You guys really just love to reach.

Trish- Tight. All leather. Low cut top. Looks like she's maybe about to go work the streets later.
Lady- An otaku wet dream. School girl outfit with mini skirt.
Gloria aka Trish's Lady Gaga cosplay- What in the f#ck is she wearing?
And even Lucia with her belly exposing shirt and tight pants.

Kat is the most normal female character in the whole franchise and sure she's cute and I'd f#ck the sh!t outta her but, at least she has more going for her than just a pretty face.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Kat's wearing some pretty normal everyday clothes that I see a lot of girls wear. Sorry, she just doesn't compare really to the rest of the girls DMC has to offer. Not saying that all of the other girls are bad but, come on. You guys really just love to reach.

Trish- Tight. All leather. Low cut top. Looks like she's maybe about to go work the streets later.
Lady- An otaku wet dream. School girl outfit with mini skirt.
Gloria aka Trish's Lady Gaga cosplay- What in the f#ck is she wearing?
And even Lucia with her belly exposing shirt and tight pants.

Kat is the most normal female character in the whole franchise and sure she's cute and I'd f#ck the sh!t outta her but, at least she has more going for her than just a pretty face.

Normality is the last aspect you'll find in DMC so of course Kat would look more normal than the past characters (same applies for all the DmC characters versus the DMC characters).

DmC is meant to be realistic while DMC is more of a fantasy type of setting or tone.

Maybe its because we grew up in different backgrounds but girls who wear booty shorts as low as Kats exposing so much leg are usually poised as "ratchet" or "attention whores" from where I live. In fact I've seen parents who wouldn't let their daughters who dresses similar to Kat leave the house like that.

Although some are just normal girls but most of the chicks I've seen dressed similar to Kat are usually show girls. I guess it depends of perspectives. I grew up in an environments that short shorts or short skirts are no-no.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I'm not gonna say Devil May Cry is some pillar of gender equality, but lets remember that Dante runs around DMC3 deliberately without a shirt :tongue: Lady was more conservatively dressed than he was, haha. Then there's DmC's opening...

Kat, while they give her a couple of slightly tasteless shots, is really just dressed like a normal girl (which as we know with Dante, has been the point of the designs; inconspicuousness, not flamboyancy). Sure what she wears accentuates her body (as do the other ladies), but like Ieyasu mentioned about Lady in DMC3, Kat still had purpose, and didn't serve as eye candy.

All in all, I wouldn't say that Devil May Cry is at all misogynistic - there series was full of capable gals as much as guys, and even whatever they tried to pull with Lady and Trish in DMC4 isn't quite misogyny, it's just stupidity.

Keep in mind that misogyny means the hatred of women, which is not at all happening in this series. Devil May Cry loves its leading ladies, but...sometimes in the silliest and sometimes sexist ways.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Normality is the last aspect you'll find in DMC so of course Kat would look more normal than the past characters (same applies for all the DmC characters versus the DMC characters).

DmC is meant to be realistic while DMC is more of a fantasy type of setting or tone.

Maybe its because we grew up in different backgrounds but girls who wear booty shorts as low as Kats exposing so much leg are usually poised as "ratchet" or "attention whores" from where I live. In fact I've seen parents who wouldn't let their daughters who dresses similar to Kat leave the house like that.

Although some are just normal girls but most of the chicks I've seen dressed similar to Kat are usually show girls. I guess it depends of perspectives. I grew up in an environments that short shorts or short skirts are no-no.
How sheltered were you growing up?

"Ratchet" and "attention whores"? Geez. That's some pretty rash generalizations right there because during the summer, those kind of shorts are a pretty normal thing like, anywhere.

Top Bottom