• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sexism/misogyny in dmc

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I think the hottest Soul Calibur girl is Hilde.
500full.jpg

Tira is a close 2nd.
xlarge_sc5_pub_ss_tira1_011.jpg

Tira creeps me the f*ck out and I always forget about Hilde.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I think my attraction to Tira stems from my Harley Quinn obsession somehow.

The whole goth/punk rocker thing can also look pretty attractive.

I only find Harley Quinn slightly attractive in Injustice.

However, people have different tastes in practically everything or anything.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I only find Harley Quinn slightly attractive in Injustice.

However, people have different tastes in practically everything or anything.
I've always found Harley Quinn attractive. Even the jester suit she originally wears is sexy in its own right.

It's not just her appearance though, her quirky behavior and overall how much fun of a character she is is attractive. It's not just appearances that make things attractive to me. It's character.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I can't find much fault with either the DMC games or DmC, really. I did wonder why Trish (Gloria) had to be so sexual, since she didn't have any effect on enemies. I mean, it would've been funny if the demons she fought actually reacted to her sexiness in an over-the-top cartoon/anime-like way... only they didn't. So... I guess it was meant for the shallow gamer who wants to see t*ts & ayuss. Or maybe she meant to distract Nero, but he didn't react at all. So I didn't see the point.

Same thing goes for Lady - I don't know what happened to her. In DMC3, she was sort of cute and strong at the same time, but in DMC4, she didn't seem to have the scar on her nose anymore, and her cup size had increased. And... she didn't really do anything: it was just a cameo.

Anyway, I don't want to read into things too much. These things are the only things that stood out in DMC4. The rest of the games seemed fine to me, really. Well, I didn't really like the way Kat looked in DmC. I didn't like the hoodie, and the short shorts seemed pointless. But I guess that was justified, since showing a little leg is not always meant as sexually provocative, but also as a sign of weakness or purity. If they'd given Kat normal jeans or something, that would contradict her character a bit.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I've always found Harley Quinn attractive. Even the jester suit she originally wears is sexy in its own right.

It's not just her appearance though, her quirky behavior and overall how much fun of a character she is is attractive. It's not just appearances that make things attractive to me. It's character.
I actually knew someone who reminded me (she didn't act exactly like HQ, just someone who was reminiscent of HQ -- a previously smart woman who was therefore corrupted by her infatuation with "Mr. J") of Quinn once.

I had a big crush on her as well, but she couldn't see anyone past her own crushes (Mr. J (dark knight), Wesker, a fighting game competitor in real life, etc.).

Needless to say, it didn't end well.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I can't find much fault with either the DMC games or DmC, really. I did wonder why Trish (Gloria) had to be so sexual, since she didn't have any effect on enemies. I mean, it would've been funny if the demons she fought actually reacted to her sexiness in an over-the-top cartoon/anime-like way... only they didn't. So... I guess it was meant for the shallow gamer who wants to see t*ts & ayuss. Or maybe she meant to distract Nero, but he didn't react at all. So I didn't see the point.

Same thing goes for Lady - I don't know what happened to her. In DMC3, she was sort of cute and strong at the same time, but in DMC4, she didn't seem to have the scar on her nose anymore, and her cup size had increased. And... she didn't really do anything: it was just a cameo.

Anyway, I don't want to read into things too much. These things are the only things that stood out in DMC4. The rest of the games seemed fine to me, really. Well, I didn't really like the way Kat looked in DmC. I didn't like the hoodie, and the short shorts seemed pointless. But I guess that was justified, since showing a little leg is not always meant as sexually provocative, but also as a sign of weakness or purity. If they'd given Kat normal jeans or something, that would contradict her character a bit.
Because there was no point to it other than being eye candy.

What's so hard to get? The people behind DMC only wanted to put some TnA in between the demon slaying and nothing more. Like prepubescent teenagers.

Kat's the only decently portrayed girl out of the bunch. She dresses normal. She doesn't go around acting all sexy and the game doesn't go out of its way to make her do that.

We've already seen the more suggestive females that are in DmC. Kat isn't one of them.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot

What's so hard to get? The people behind DMC only wanted to put some TnA in between the demon slaying and nothing more. Like prepubescent teenagers.

Kat's the only decently portrayed girl out of the bunch. She dresses normal. She doesn't go around acting all sexy and the game doesn't go out of its way to make her do that.
- The people behind DMC4, you mean. I can't really find fault with all the DMC games.

- Yeah, I can agree with that. Well, mainly when comparing DmC to DMC4. Lucia seems decent too. DMC3 Lady as well.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
- The people behind DMC4, you mean. I can't really find fault with all the DMC games.

- Yeah, I can agree with that. Well, mainly when comparing DmC to DMC4. Lucia seems decent too. DMC3 Lady as well.
No, I mean 1-4. Lady is still a demon slaying otaku wet dream sporting her mini skirt school girl uniform that's something I'd probably get a girl to wear when I'm in the mood for some sexy role play.

And Lucia is sporting these tight pants and belly exposing shirt. I'm pretty sure if you'd go out to hunt demons, you wouldn't be wearing this stuff. It's just all for sex appeal. That's it.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
No, I mean 1-4. Lady is still a demon slaying otaku wet dream sporting her mini skirt school girl uniform that's something I'd probably get a girl to wear when I'm in the mood for some sexy role play.

And Lucia is sporting these tight pants and belly exposing shirt. I'm pretty sure if you'd go out to hunt demons, you wouldn't be wearing this stuff. It's just all for sex appeal. That's it.

- You call a fairly ordinary white blouse with some form of old combat boots a 'school girl uniform'? Well, whatever you want to see, you'll see, I suppose.

- Or maybe it's partly because she's meant to look eastern, in a way. She even has two sabre-like swords, throwing daggers, and darts. Wow, an exposed stomach. Sex appeal :laugh: Actually, it's not meant to be sexual, just a stereotypical view of what is 'eastern', as in Muslim countries.

Nah, mainly DMC4, and I'm standing by that.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
- You call a fairly ordinary white blouse with some form of old combat boots a 'school girl uniform'? Well, whatever you want to see, you'll see, I suppose.

- Or maybe it's partly because she's meant to look eastern, in a way. She even has two sabre-like swords, throwing daggers, and darts. Wow, an exposed stomach. Sex appeal :laugh: Actually, it's not meant to be sexual, just a stereotypical view of what is 'eastern', as in Muslim countries.

Nah, mainly DMC4, and I'm standing by that.
:banghead:

Will you quit reaching. This is ridiculous. You just can't back it up. Yes it IS A SCHOOLGIRL'S OUTFIT. How is it not to you? Reminds me of one of those catholic schoolgirl ones too if we wanna be more specific. DMC has always had these one note female characters. They serve really no purpose but to have a hot chick show up in between the fighting.

Just stop trying to argue what can't be argued. CHEESUS CRUST. :shifty:

IncarnatedDemon

We've already seen the more suggestive females that are in DmC. Kat isn't one of them.
iObject-critter.jpg

Lady had her own story where she was out to kill her father.
Lucia had her own story about not being a human but a demon creation of Arius, who made a bond with Matier, a human. Later Matier told Lucia, who was unease at knowing what she was, "Though we're not bound by blood, we are bound by experience". To this Lucia said "Thank you mother".
Trish, a creation of Mundus. Meeting Dante made her go from hollow to gaining humanity in her soul.

Yet...all of that was JUST FOR sex appeal.

Then we have Kat, a supportive character, who helped the Order. Her story was bad and as result she had put up a barrier around herself to avoid being hurt.

View attachment 873
Kat-AlternateAppearence2_zpsb6c78f5a.jpg
tumblr_mfo7qwetfy1ryfipvo1_500.jpg
DmC-Kat-1200x675.jpg

But i guess all that was JUST FOR sex appeal as well...

2ldzqdi.jpg

right?

Eye candy is not negative. And it's true Trish is partially there for eye candy. Just like Kat, Lady and Lucia.
I love eye candy. The opposite of eye candy is scenes like Gloria one in 4 and the increased breast size. That's just tasteless.

Last edited:

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
:banghead:

Will you quit reaching. This is ridiculous. You just can't back it up. Yes it IS A SCHOOLGIRL'S OUTFIT. How is it not to you? Reminds me of one of those catholic schoolgirl ones too if we wanna be more specific. DMC has always had these one note female characters. They serve really no purpose but to have a hot chick show up in between the fighting.

Just stop trying to argue what can't be argued. CHEESUS CRUST. :shifty:

*But you're the one who isn't coming up with arguments in this comment. So... wut.

I would rather you actually come up with a counterargument, but I guess it's not in the stars.
Really... thinking Lucia was meant to be incredibly sexy just because she has an exposed stomach... talk about reaching. By that logic, anyone in any media wearing something that shows their belly is oversexualized. It's ridiculous. She wears what she wears because she needed to fit a certain eastern theme - an exposed stomach is just a stereotypical view of that.

And Lady's outfit doesn't really look like a school uniform - not American, not British, not Japanese. Something as simple as a visit to Wikipedia will show that. Sorry, you can believe whatever you want to, but I think overexposure to these types of things has made you see them in everything.

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Actually the team for sexual context IS in fact the DMC4 since each DMC game are done by different team with the only person behind most of the games being Itsuno and knowing some of the members and their past games I think this decision with the females had something to do with Kobayashi considering his own Sengoku Basara series are loaded with fanservice and sexual pandering.

Although Itsuno did wanted do a character like Nero for a while it was Koba who decided he needed to be young and appeal to a young female audience by well....you know how Nero turned out. Nero probably would've been totally different if Koba wasn't part of the DMC4 team....in fact DMC4 would've turned out completely if Koba wasn't part of it. They seriously need to fire Koba, DMC4 wasn't his only blunder he was responsible for Devil Kings and Resident Evil 6.

I doubt Itsuno is one for pointless sexual pandering considering his biggest offense to women....I guess is this character.

View attachment 874

Well he did make Rival Schools.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
At your service.

Gotta love The Princess Bride. Great movie.
Dat Swordfight.
the-princess-bride-o.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I see mosesmlpg is liking all the posts that are against DmC...

You know moses, if you ever do decide to come back, you'll find that this is an entirely different arena than from the ones that you're used to.

But I'll let you see that for yourself and say nothing further on the matter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Kat being "fanservice"...

Lady fights demons...

Lucia fights demons...

Gloria fights demons...

Trish was "supposed" to fight demons...

Kat was never supposed to be dressed for combat in the first place. Those other girls have no business wearing those clothes when facing down another demon's blade.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
iObject-critter.jpg

Lady had her own story where she was out to kill her father.
Lucia had her own story about not being a human but a demon creation of Arius, who made a bond with Matier, a human. Later Matier told Lucia, who was unease at knowing what she was, "Though we're not bound by blood, we are bound by experience". To this Lucia said "Thank you mother".
Trish, a creation of Mundus. Meeting Dante made her go from hollow to gaining humanity in her soul.

Yet...all of that was JUST FOR sex appeal.

Then we have Kat, a supportive character, who helped the Order. Her story was bad and as result she had put up a barrier around herself to avoid being hurt.

View attachment 873
Kat-AlternateAppearence2_zpsb6c78f5a.jpg
tumblr_mfo7qwetfy1ryfipvo1_500.jpg
DmC-Kat-1200x675.jpg

But i guess all that was JUST FOR sex appeal as well...

2ldzqdi.jpg

right?

Eye candy is not negative. And it's true Trish is partially there for eye candy. Just like Kat, Lady and Lucia.
I love eye candy. The opposite of eye candy is scenes like Gloria one in 4 and the increased breast size. That's just tasteless.
Of course you have some idiotic input. When do you not? After all, you're just one of the fanatical ones that can only contribute a strawman because you never even played the thing you consistently bash and not to mention being pretentious as all hell.

Kat is the most well rounded female character in the series. All the characters in DMC have about as much complexity as a coloring book.

And still Kat is dressed NORMAL. If that is considered somehow in the same category as what the rest of these females wear then you were either very sheltered growing up or just stupid.

I pick the latter over the former concerning you

Every DMC character is nothing but a cliche and well that's because you have the people behind them who know nothing of character development beyond cheesy action flicks. And yea, maybe bothering to create better characters wasn't a priority but, it doesn't change the fact they are still all a very weak and cliche bunch.

Kat's backstory was actually elaborated on a bit in Vergil's Chronicles comic and even the game gives more of an implication of some pretty dark sh!t. Being a victim of system. Physically and mentally (possibly sexually as well) abused by these terrible people and demons all her life.

And I would go as far as saying Kat is the STRONGEST female character just by sheer willpower and spirit. She's not a fighter. These demons could rip her apart yet what did she do through out the game?

She consistently put herself in danger knowing the risk for the greater good. She suffered through torture just to keep Vergil's existence a secret becoming a key part in how they saved the world. If Kat would have cracked, Dante and Vergil probably would have been f#cked because the key yo the victory was Kat's contributions.

All these people say Kat is weak and she is far from it. Strength comes in many different forms. While Trish can go around cosplaying Lady Gaga doing her stripper dance in front of Nero and Lady just gets all p!ssy over her daddy issues we have just a normal girl who was actually relevant saving the world

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Kat is the best Devil May Cry girl. Every other girl is just some cliche thrown in there and yea, they can slay demons with just as much skill as Dante but, they're just not characters that really stick out. They are defined by trite tropes and cliches and that's it. They rarely offer anything more than just being the "action movie hot chick" :sleep:

Female video game characters that are more than just a pretty face are few and far between and since DMC has been a franchise that has never done anything else, a character like Kat is a nice change of pace and I see nothing wrong with this franchise for bringing that.

It's a change that is also for the better.

Top Bottom