• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nocturne/Shin Megami Tensei V

berto

I Saw the Devil
DLC announcement:

I guess we can put this back on
tumblr_inline_mtujtxu1jJ1rw38tc.png

Edit: In case any of you might've not played the original. SMT:3 had no dubbing of any kind. The voice actor for Dante this time around is Toshiyuki Morikawa, again, the same actor as the anime.

Last edited:

Goldsickle

One day, I will make a game and make requests or deals with Capcom and Sega to include Dante and Knuckles, just so I can put that "featuring Dante and Knuckles" on the packaging.
And then I can die happy.

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Edit: In case any of you might've not played the original. SMT:3 had no dubbing of any kind. The voice actor for Dante this time around is Toshiyuki Morikawa, again, the same actor as the anime.
That makes me wonder, since Nocturne will have an English dub this time around, will they voice Dante as well? :eek:

berto

I Saw the Devil
That makes me wonder, since Nocturne will have an English dub this time around, will they voice Dante as well? :eek:
Is that so? I have nothing against mr. Langdon. He's been here once or twice and he is a legitimately nice guy, but this version of Dante is not very wacky and I've never seen him do this kind of straight forward, stern, menacing performance. It's not the same as DMC2 where he was stoick. There is a personality there but it's nothing like the ones in 3 to 5.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Is that so? I have nothing against mr. Langdon. He's been here once or twice and he is a legitimately nice guy, but this version of Dante is not very wacky and I've never seen him do this kind of straight forward, stern, menacing performance. It's not the same as DMC2 where he was stoick. There is a personality there but it's nothing like the ones in 3 to 5.
If there was ever a time to bring back Drew Coombs or Matt Kaminsky, I'd say this is it. No offense to Reuben either, but there's a reason he once said that he had to audition for DMC4's Dante even though that Dante (and Reuben at the time?) were both men in their 30s. He's too closely associated with modern Dante and the kind of laid-back "want a good time" personality, and when he voiced 1!Dante in the anime he straight up sounded more depressed than anything. I'd personally favor Drew. He can at least do righteous anger.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I could see them replacing Langdon because union regulations etc but it would be interesting to see him try to match DMC2'S take on Dante.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Generally, union-affiliated VAs can't work in productions that don't meet their union's standards (whether pay or other reasons), resulting in the work just straight-up replacing them. See: why Kari Wahlgren got replaced with Kate Higgins for Lady. Possibly why David Hayter got replaced by Keifer Sutherland, too. Though, union VAs can work outside of those projects, but to avoid contract/union issues they work under a pseudonym, hence Reuben being credited in the anime as "Justin Cause", Johnny Yong Bosch being credited as "Kevin Hatcher" for any projects he's in, or even Kari herself working as "Kay Jensen".

berto

I Saw the Devil
Generally, union-affiliated VAs can't work in productions that don't meet their union's standards (whether pay or other reasons), resulting in the work just straight-up replacing them. See: why Kari Wahlgren got replaced with Kate Higgins for Lady. Possibly why David Hayter got replaced by Keifer Sutherland, too. Though, union VAs can work outside of those projects, but to avoid contract/union issues they work under a pseudonym, hence Reuben being credited in the anime as "Justin Cause", Johnny Yong Bosch being credited as "Kevin Hatcher" for any projects he's in, or even Kari herself working as "Kay Jensen".
I see. Drew Coombs was a union actor which is why he was replaced in DMC2, or so the story goes. Capcom simply didn't want to deal with a union so they hired non-union actors after 1. I assumed that Langdon was not one since that's the very reason Coombs was replaced to begin with.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
It all sounds screwy, but Capcom refusing to compensate workers fairly for their services sounds like Capcom being Capcom. They did that all over the Resident Evil Series including the RE 2 Remake. Can't imagine Reuben is getting any cheaper to hire though, since he has three games in this franchise alone under his belt, his work in Street Fighter, and on and on.

At least Drew has an interview with Digital Kontent talking about his role as Dante, if anyone wants to listen to his voice again.

5:11 to 12:12 is where he talks about DMC, but 8:49 is where he mentions he was only looking at the storyboard when voicing Dante.

--

Wondering what they'll do about China and Korea versions of this remaster, though. The only reason Dante was in Nocturne at all was because of Raidou's imperial outfit originally, and he still has it because they haven't redesigned him, so is Dante going to be paid DLC in those countries too or will they get a remastered Maniax instead of Maniax Chronicles?

--

As an aside, the source code for the SMT3 page on Atlus's website has a link to an Overwatch picture of Pharah in the Cairo stage. Credit to ChadCoomer on Reddit. That's hilarious.

berto

I Saw the Devil
At least Drew has an interview with Digital Kontent talking about his role as Dante, if anyone wants to listen to his voice again.
That's been posted here a few times. Actually, this might be my doing. I found this podcast way back in the day when DK was still open and I saved the MP3. After I joined here someone asked me for it, since DK seemed to have erased all of their podcasts and were nowhere to be found, so I uploaded it to one of those free audio sharing sites and then it started popping all over. Before that it seems it was nowhere to be found.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Oh, I had that Edna Talent link in my tabs! Took a listen to the video, and he still sounds like a great fit for Dante, especially the second and last clips in there.

Apropos of nothing, I could go for some yogurt right about now. :whistle:

But yeah, you made that post around the time you first started out, if your join date is any indication. :tongue:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
You spoil me, berto. :inlove:
I took a listen at those. He has a decent Nixon impersonation. He's reading off of the prepared script featured in In Event of Moon Disaster (text)and his tone matches Nixon's resignation speech the most IMO.
The Truth About God and Narration Demo have some Big Exposition Energy going on. In some parallel universe where he reprised his role as Dante and there was an expository scene of the origins of Hell or how Mundus rose to power, he'd be perfect for it. But they barely have Dante know anything at all in these modern games, so....
And of course Drew's Devil May Cry clip is the most listened-to. :tongue:

berto

I Saw the Devil
You spoil me, berto.
Anything for our premium members.

Anyway, when it comes to DMC1 I have a lot of materials. Just look at all the stuff I've posted on the DMC1 section. I plan to use it someday but for now, why not share.

As for the topic at hand, I would love to see him do this Dante's dub. Getting a chance to be DMC2's Dante seems like such sweet revenge. I've heard him on a youtube add the other day so I know he's still working. You're right about his biblical reading. It's quite thundurus and stern. I'd love to heard Dante have that voice again.

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I'd just like to take a moment re-post this here -- even if it's only my own personal headcanon.

-----
-----
-----
-----

[This was originally written in 2017.]

[I may make a few changes according to DMC5SE lore, but for now I think most of it fits relatively well into the overall story, in my opinion.]

-----
-----

This is a somewhat long theory, so I've decided to post a summary here:

Vergil is somehow able to possess other supernatural beings after DMC1.

In DMC2, he possesses Bolverk.

DMC4: Nero

SMT3 Nocturne: The Satan Magatama

He takes control of Satan, turns him into his own personal weapon, and possesses the Demi-fiend because he's able to leap from host to host.

After that, Satan's soul becomes Vergil's new "sword".

Nero only had an idea that someone was hidden within his soul. Here, I think Vergil mastered the ability to cloak himself entirely so that he would be completely undetectable to the protagonist.

However, since Dante suspected that the MC would be the next host, he went on to follow him.

How did I make the connection between Vergil and Satan from the SMT series?

Because of this one move: Deadly Fury.

1:47 in the vid. Even the music sounds similar to Ultraviolet in DMC1.

A long while ago, I looked at it at first and thought: Oh, that's nice, just like Vergil's Yamato.

Then some time passed. A lot of time passed and I didn't think anything else of it.

Recently however, I decided to look for any connection that Vergil and Deadly Fury might have had.

-----

That's when I saw it belonged to the Satan Magatama.

Satan looks kind of like Vergil... ok fine. Still nothing concrete so far though.

SatanSMT21.jpg

But then I remembered what Vergil did with Nero, and how the same could be applied to Satan as well.

----

This is what all the Magatama look like:

Some might view it as a coincidence due to Kazumi Kaneko's artwork, but I think it might be more than that.

I know that these shoutouts are pretty much everywhere -- even after the crossovers that happened before are no longer "considered to be OFFICIAL canon". It's still worth mentioning, however.

By the way, even if SMT3 was "buried" all the games are STILL canon somehow due to SMT's multi-layered storyline.

I'm just saying, there's at least a really good chance that Shin Managi (the Demi-fiend) could be possessed by Vergil...

----

latest

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Demi-fiend

154220-devil-may-cry-nero-eyes-glowing.gif

-----

"In the Law alignment path, Kuzuryu is unleashed, and Satan, fearing that it will destroy the Megiddo Arc, teleports Aleph, Hiroko, and himself to the Arc, which activates and destroys all life on Earth except the ones on the Ark. After that, he joins forces with Aleph and Hiroko to defeat YHVH after it wipes out humanity on Earth. Afterwards, having killed his creator, he crumbles to dust."

After Satan crumbles to dust, Vergil warps from DMC2's universe to SMT2's universe and possesses Satan's corpse.

Vergil then warps to SMT3's universe (they all take place on separate realities), and waits for a powerful host to absorb his and Satan's hybrid soul.

-----
-----

2020 Edited Note:

The Protagonist in SMT2 (Aleph) not only fought God, but defeated him as well.

If you're thinking God in that universe is weak because he lost to a mere human, I'd like to point out this power level chart here. This human managed to become one of most powerful beings in the SMT mainline series. It's extremely rare, but it happens.

-----

-----

However, the SMT2 protagonist was cursed into constantly crossing into different multiverses as punishment -- as was the Demi-fiend.

In SMT3, the (de-powered) SMT2 protagonist assumes a new identity, and helps the Demi-fiend in order to further his own agenda -- not unlike V helping Dante, it seems.

-----

All I'm saying is that if DMC2 Dante and the SMT2 protagonist managed to cross dimensions, then it wouldn't be impossible for Vergil to do so, either.

-----

[Edited Note ends here.]

-----
-----

Looking briefly on DMC2, you can see that there's evidence of Vergil being able to cross over to different hosts and influencing their fighting style.

At this point though, all I can do is speculate that he somehow left Nero (after Nero gains his own Devil Trigger I presume) and went on to control Bolverk so that he could fight Dante again.

http://devilmaycry.wikia.com/wiki/Bolverk

"As a boss, Bolverk fights in a very similar way to Nelo Angelo."

----

In SMTN, Dante seeks Vergil out after fighting Bolverk in DMC2, knowing that his brother somehow crossed over from hell into the Void World of the Conception apocalypse in that universe.

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Dante

"Dante reveals that he was hired by an "old man" to hunt down some demons, including the Demi-fiend. He also holds a Candelabrum in his possession, but was never told what it was for. Dante then proceeds to tell the Demi-fiend to keep himself alive, as the former would like to experience the thrill of the hunt again when he becomes stronger.

[When the Demi-fiend "becomes stronger"? Or when Vergil possesses him? Dante must've thought he could use the protagonist unwittingly to help him search for his brother.]

Dante slowly became suspicious of his employer's motives, and begins investigating the Labyrinth of Amala on his own. Upon venturing to the Third Kalpa, the Demi-fiend will encounter Dante once again, and the latter attempts to convince him to turn back. If he says no, Dante will begin to chase and attack him throughout the Kalpa, playing a practical cat-and-mouse game where he resets door switches and guards exits for the next two levels.

Following a final encounter, Dante launches one last attack but intentionally avoids stabbing the Demi-fiend, instead impaling the adjacent wall. After explaining his reasons for doing so, Dante hands over the Candelabrum in his possession, dismissing it as "nothing but junk." He would then go on ahead to resume investigating the Labyrinth of Amala.

Upon the Demi-fiend's entry to the Fifth Kalpa, Dante will be waiting within and would begin explaining the details he gathered about the old man's actual intentions. He would then offer his services to the Demi-fiend, as he no longer feels like continuing to perform the dubious tasks asked of him by his former employer. If he decides to hire Dante, the latter would flip the same double headed coin from Devil May Cry 2."

After the final battle with Lucifer, Dante must've decided to sit back and let Vergil possess the Demi-fiend through the Satan Magatama and fight God.

----

When Dante saw that, he realized that Vergil is simply too determined to stop gaining power until he was strong enough to fight YHVH.

"It'll be fun to fight with the Prince of Darkness."

Dante wants to fight because it's fun. Vergil wants to fight be able to protect... his brother from Lucifer, I guess. He is in control of the party's leader, after all.

In the LoS series Dracula wanted to protect the world from Lucifer, so I can see that happening again here.

----

I know that Dante was replaced with Kuzunoha in the Japanese re-release of the game, but that's the good thing about SMT series; all the realities represented in these games are canon due to the multiverse.

----

Why does Vergil fuse with Nero, Bolverk, and Satan? Because they're all similar to him in some way.

Everyone out there is similar to someone else, and we naturally gravitate to others who have similar behavior to our own.

Thus, Vergil's soul gravitates to those who either look, act, or behave the way he does.

So, that's my theory. While the Demi-fiend isn't necessarily Vergil per se, it does somewhat explain why Dante would spare him instead of simply fighting Lucifer himself.

Perhaps Dante found someone who was even more powerful than even he is....

-----
-----

Top Bottom