• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

(New Pachinko) Devil May Cry X Last Judgement

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
This was my biggest fear for the franchise. DmC came across as too western so Capcom probaby thinks they need to go the complete opposite and go complete anime.
At the risk of sounding really new to this, I'm gonna say I've always found the talk about "Westernizing" DMC or how DmC is "too Western" weird when the game itself has always centered on white guys living in either America (Dante) or some analog of Europe (Nero), speaking nothing but English around similarly white people with only token "ethnic" influences in weapons or non-human creatures that... turn into weapons. Or, more jokingly, the games are about a super-exceptional gun-toting dude going into exotic places and blowing stuff up. That's pretty American to me.

Aside from 3 being "Inuyasha with Guns" and 4 being "Bleach May Cry" and the anime tropes implied, the series doesn't come off to me as "genuinely Eastern" in the first place so much as "a Japanese company did a love letter to Equilibrium and the Matrix" resulting in something watered down, like "Disneyfying" Astro Boy.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
This is going to sound wildly-unanticipated from someone like me, who has repeatedly blasted this franchise for taking such a painfully-Japanese approach, but I really, really liked that intro. I'm not sure what it was, maybe it was the montage with each of the characters, or Dante explaining his origins, but I actually dug it quite a bit. And that whole bit with Nero swinging that guitar around just...that made me grin like an idiot, and I know it shouldn't.

And on that note, in regards to a lot of you complaining about how this series isn't Western enough anymore, and how the series is becoming too anime-ish....I'm sorry, but WHAT?!

The Gothic and Western-influenced style in these games died years ago, and the overwhelming majoruty of the fanbase has since relished the anime approach this series has taken from DMC3 onward. The nonsensical fight choreography, the painful one-liners, the hyper-stylization of the characters and style...taking a gander at how much the fans outright worship these aspects of the series, I'm not sure what you all were expecting, or if Capcom had any reason to believe that kind of tone isn't exactly what the fanbase wants from it. I'm all for bringing the series back to its roots, but I'm not going to pretend for a single, solitary minute that I've been part of a majority in that endeavor.

This is the kind of tone and style Devil May Cry has now is everything a lot of people deliberately asked for when hyping DMC3 & 4 to the moon back. In short, it's everything a lot of you deserve.

Don't start complaining about it now, when you get exactly what you asked for.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I got attacked for saying that kind of crap years ago. The large majority of Devil May Cry fans are freaking anime fans (specifically the weeb kind) who are basically ONLY fans of DMC 3 and 4. That's how they've always defined the series as a whole, which is why they literally can't see how DmC payed more tribute to the series roots than 3 and 4 ever did.

But I digress, we probably shouldn't start that whole song and dance again. Why is a thread about a pachinko machine even going on this long?

It's kinda like the Metal Gear fans complaining about this stuff. It's a really popular thing in Japan that a ton of companies will associate their brand with. Why moan about something we won't play, let alone even see here?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Don't start complaining about it now, when you get exactly what you asked for.

But I never asked for Devil May Cry to be super anime like. Hell, I was one of the few who wanted it to go back to how it was with Devil May Cry 1. One of the reasons I didn't want it to be too anime inspired was because it would then turn into any other shonen theme game with the cheap "baby" and engrish "cool" tropes. We already have Sengoku Basara, we don't need another one.

When I say I wanted as a mix of east meets west, I mean having the architecture, style, and appearance of the west, but not losing that east flair of character, fighting, and that otherworldly folklore imagination.
Basically, something like the Batman anime specials where it was Japanese anime companies making their own stories, but still keeping true to the Batman mythos to make it still feel western.
@DragonMaster2010 @DDutchguy @Morgan

DMC4: Survive -- count on it.

BatmanJokerChoke.jpg

Last edited:

Veloran

@Veloran , they say in the artbook Dante was now older and the team has grown tired , so they created Nero not only to give a new life to the series, but to give their team mates a new enthusiasm. Even Morihashi said he was more interested in Nero than in Dante. DMc3 got the best of them and they were forced against their "will" to do this DMC4.

But that's crazy. We know they did in fact have a ton of stuff planned for Dante, and in the end they really made Nero into Dante.Vergil. And if they didn't want an older Dante, they could have just set another game before 1, or even before 3.

DMC wasn't a circus and Dante was never a clown: it had serious tones with some comical moments. This is an parody trying to be edgy, and, at same time, wanting people to take it seriously.

This is a parody, yeah. That's literally what it is, everything turned up to eleven. But even then, from what I've seen big swathes of time are taken up by Dante and Trish just hanging or walking around.

And honestly, I wouldn't mind if a lot of these scenes were present in the game. Trish is pretty much criminally absent, if she was with Dante for the latter half that'd be pretty cool, to see them interact.

Not only to mention this is just a replica of Bayonetta. If I want to play Bayonetta, I play the "real" one. At the least I would play something that is faithful to its essence instead of a half dying copycat that lost its identity.

It's odd that you'd say that given just how much of everything Bayonetta takes from DMC. It's like a half-tick more over-the-top, and I really think that if Kamiya had the tech back in DMC1, Dante'd have punched something into the sun there too. As it is he still comes really close.

Dante's insertion in DMC4 plot seems similar to what happened in Ace Attorney when Takumi tried to introduce a new character, Apollo Justice, but Capcom forced him into maintain Phoenix Wright.After this Takumi lost his interest in the main series and created a side series/spin off.

That happened after how many games of Phoenix?

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
But that's crazy. We know they did in fact have a ton of stuff planned for Dante, and in the end they really made Nero into Dante.Vergil. And if they didn't want an older Dante, they could have just set another game before 1, or even before 3.
Did you read the book? DMC admitted in the book they wanted something new for DMC4, but Dante was still important for DMC, but they had no shame on admitting that they prefer to deal with Nero now instead of Dante.

This is a parody, yeah. That's literally what it is, everything turned up to eleven. But even then, from what I've seen big swathes of time are taken up by Dante and Trish just hanging or walking around.

And honestly, I wouldn't mind if a lot of these scenes were present in the game. Trish is pretty much criminally absent, if she was with Dante for the latter half that'd be pretty cool, to see them interact.
Trish was never with Dante in the original story.Even in novel ( Cat, the Devils-lair owner, admitted their interaction was minimal), since they were busy with their thing.
Trish is almost irrelevant to the series at this point, but she is the Creator's pet, so they shoehorn her forcibly there for the sex appeal.
It's odd that you'd say that given just how much of everything Bayonetta takes from DMC. It's like a half-tick more over-the-top, and I really think that if Kamiya had the tech back in DMC1, Dante'd have punched something into the sun there too. As it is he still comes really close.
Sure, but Shinji Mikami held Kamiya's craziness and DMC1 became an icon . If Kamiya was alone in doing it, I bet it would turn out very different and less relevant.

Edit: I only remembered this after publish this post:
It was said that Trish was inserted in MvsC3 because when game's team asked permission to use Dante as part of the cast, DMC team blackmailed them into putting Trish. No Trish, no Dante.( even if MvsC was really interested in having Vergil in the original cast)
Trish is still in DMC because she is Capcom's favorite ( above Vergil's as surprising as it seems), Lady is there because she is the fans favorite. Capcom isn't even discreet about their preference.

Last edited:

NessPSI

Tony Redgraaaave!
I dunno if it's because we haven't gotten anything but DMC4 for 8 years, but I gotta say that intro is really warming up to me. Especially the beginning... It makes me somewhat sad how much effort went into making it when they could be doing something else with their time, but it just feels so good to see something new and hear Dante again. And the way it talks about Nero, i'm still holding onto the hope that Capcom won't give up on the idea of keeping him as the franchises new main hero.

WolfOD64

And the way it talks about Nero, i'm still holding onto the hope that Capcom won't give up on the idea of keeping him as the franchises new main hero.
I'd be fine with that. For what little what was revealed about Nero, there's actually enough left unknown about him that I'd definitely like to see explored. He still hasn't reached his peak, posseses a number of prominent flaws, and has motives to actually carry himself to a larger narrative. In other words, he's a character with a foreseeable future in the franchise as a protagonist.

If they abandoned Dante tomorrow with the announcement of a Nero-only Devil May Cry, I'd shed no tears over it (no pun intended). We've seen him accomplish the mission that started his demon-hunting career, watched his origins unfold, and learned everything interesting or necessary about him. And due to the writers' outright refusal to develop him at every opportunity presented by both the games and the anime, I literally don't see a need for him to come back.

It's a sad thing when a protagonist is alienated by his own series, but that's what happens when you only take the most prominent traits about a character, and then suffocate the audience with it before they can come back up for air.

But I never asked for Devil May Cry to be super anime like. Hell, I was one of the few who wanted it to go back to how it was with Devil May Cry 1. One of the reasons I didn't want it to be too anime inspired was because it would then turn into any other shonen theme game with the cheap "baby" and engrish "cool" tropes. We already have Sengoku Basara, we don't need another one.
I wasn't referring to you specifically. I know there are others on this forum that detest Capcom's treatment of this series after DMC1 (which is made only more refreshing with each new voice that emerges in agreement, since that's not the way things traditionally are around here).

But I'm noticing a lot of the same voices decrying this new anime tone are the same people who carved Satanic runes on my avatar when I was making the exact same criticism of the games as a whole.

And it's not like there's any way to reverse the damage. Now that DMC4, with all of its over-the-top bishounen qualities, has reaffirmed itself as the series best-seller twice with the arrival the of the Special Edition, its sales will send the only message Capcom listens to.

Last edited:

Gel

Premium
I'd be fine with that. For what little what was revealed about Nero, there's actually enough left unknown about him that I'd definitely like to see explored. He still hasn't reached his peak, posseses a number of prominent flaws, and has motives to actually carry himself to a larger narrative. In other words, he's a character with a foreseeable future in the franchise as a protagonist.
Not only it will allow Nero past/present/ future to be explored, but it gives a second opportunity of other relevant character's lives( his dad, as example) to be explored through him. It's ironic how the protagonist's twin ( someone remarkable in Dante's life, second only to his parents) are simply discarded as if it was nothing, even if one of those who made Dante took his current life as a devil hunter.

NessPSI

Tony Redgraaaave!
Looking on the bright side of things DMC is back on stage at Capcom site again(even if it is just to promote the pachinko.)
pUFiuUf.png

The DMCX site has also been updated if anyone cares. It doesnt have anything much besides slightly longer versions of some songs from the soundtrack samples though.
http://www.enterrise.co.jp/slot/product13/world.php

Last edited:

Gel

Premium
Is this Lady?!This is a woman and Lady has a secret mission!
8OtLU7D.png

WolfOD64

Not only it will allow Nero past/present/ future to be explored, but it gives a second opportunity of other relevant character's lives( his dad, as example) to be explored through him. It's ironic how the protagonist's twin ( someone remarkable in Dante's life, second only to his parents) are simply discarded as if it was nothing, even if one of those who made Dante took his current life as a devil hunter.
Also, there are other members of the Order of the Sword, or at least I'm guessing more join now that Nero is the unofficial Demon Hunter of Fortuna now. That's an opportunity to introduce more characters, maybe establish a setting and formula for future games, and better, future plots.

We also have never seen Nero interact with Vergil in any way, alive or dead, and that alone has potential for epic narrative paths.

Veloran

Did you read the book? DMC admitted in the book they wanted something new for DMC4, but Dante was still important for DMC, but they had no shame on admitting that they prefer to deal with Nero now instead of Dante.

Again, that doesn't make sense when we consider that they had wanted to do a lot more with Dante, and ended up making Nero more like Dante in the end.

Trish was never with Dante in the original story.Even in novel ( Cat, the Devils-lair owner, admitted their interaction was minimal), since they were busy with their thing.

What does that have to do with my point?

Sure, but Shinji Mikami held Kamiya's craziness and DMC1 became an icon . If Kamiya was alone in doing it, I bet it would turn out very different and less relevant.

I think the crazy goes a long way.

Gel

Premium
Again, that doesn't make sense when we consider that they had wanted to do a lot more with Dante, and ended up making Nero more like Dante in the end.
They need a vacation from Dante, so they created Nero.Since most people see Dante as a fulcral point of DMC, they made the boy act a little more like Dante. This makes the transition much easier for them and Nero more acceptable for the fanbase.

What does that have to do with my point?
You said want see more Trish in the franchise because you didn't enough of her. I just answer you at this point capcom already give her more spotlight than Nero, Vergil or even Dante. You just need to see the wallpapers: there are more wallpapers of her than Vergil, Nero or even Dante. Kyrie was important for DMC4 plot, but she got ignored. Trish served her purpose in the franchise( same you could say of others, if you like), so insisting in put her everywhere not only serves no purpose ( beyond sexual fetishism), but makes Dante even more irrelevant.
I think the crazy goes a long way.
Kamiya's games are cool, but their stories are absolutely non sense. DMC1 has it's roots in RE, having a more serious background; if DMC becomes silly as( let us say) Bayonetta, not only cuts totally with it's past, but becomes a replica of Bayo, Basara, etc.Do we really need more of it?Will not DMC become just another franchise like any other?

Veloran

They need a vacation from Dante, so they created Nero.Since most people see Dante as a fulcral point of DMC, they made the boy act a little more like Dante. This makes the transition much easier for them and Nero more acceptable for the fanbase.

But - Once more - That does not explain why they originally had so much planned out for Dante.

You said want see more Trish in the franchise because you didn't enough of her. I just answer you at this point capcom already give her more spotlight than Nero, Vergil or even Dante. You just need to see the wallpapers: there are more wallpapers of her than Vergil, Nero or even Dante. Kyrie was important for DMC4 plot, but she got ignored. Trish served her purpose in the franchise( same you could say of others, if you like), so insisting in put her everywhere not only serves no purpose ( beyond sexual fetishism), but makes Dante even more irrelevant.

What I said was I wanted to see her and Dante interact more. The same could go for Lady, but even she's gotten more focus in that sense. The two just have a fun dynamic that I'd like to see more of.

Kamiya's games are cool, but their stories are absolutely non sense.

Bayonetta's plot makes at least as much sense as DMC's. The only thing that's actually confusing is the time travel bit, everything else is perfectly fine.

Top Bottom