• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

(New Pachinko) Devil May Cry X Last Judgement

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
Reuben and Dan just tweeted and retweeted this, just in case you didn't see it in my other post.
CknAETUW0AAC0c4.jpg:large

DDutchguy

DmC hype
Maybe we're just the weird ones for not being interested in a DMC Pachinko machine instead of an actual game. At least, that seems to be the logic Capcom is using.

Viper

Premium
Maybe we're just the weird ones for not being interested in a DMC Pachinko machine instead of an actual game. At least, that seems to be the logic Capcom is using.
While I'd certainly rather be playing DMC5 than a pachinko game, in Japan pachinko games are just as much actual games as any other game played in arcade, and just as much popular. Thinking about it with clear mind, one can't really blame Capcom for trying to recapture home market after international one started to look more and more like a pain in the ass.

DDutchguy

DmC hype
While I'd certainly rather be playing DMC5 than a pachinko game, in Japan pachinko games are just as much actual games as any other game played in arcade, and just as much popular. Thinking about it with clear mind, one can't really blame Capcom for trying to recapture home market after international one started to look more and more like a pain in the ass.

Fair enough. I suppose I just had to share my dissatisfaction with the lack of new DMC games lately. This is a DMC forum after all :wink:

Viper

Premium
Fair enough. I suppose I just had to share my dissatisfaction with the lack of new DMC games lately. This is a DMC forum after all :wink:
Oh nothing wrong with sharing disappointment from time to time, I just like to sometimes point people to calmer way of thinking. :thumbsup:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
one can't really blame Capcom for trying to recapture home market after international one started to look more and more like a pain in the ass.

Yes but on the other hand, they kinda dug their own grave when it comes to that, through bad decision after bad decision. An unwanted reboot, two rereleases, one of which pretty much nobody cared about and missed an entire market - PC - that was the most likely to sell well (btw, I would have bought it on PC) and the other ended up disappointing a lot of fans, and then utter silence about the series, accompanied by the usual rumors, hints and whatnot.

And this whole mess, they started building it back in 2010. 6 years time to sink themselves are a lot, and they surely didn't hesitate to shoot themselves in the foot, the knees, the balls all the way up to the chest. When it comes to this franchise, only one more headshot is needed.

So in the end, I think yeah, Capcom is definitely to blame in my opinion.

Viper

Premium
Yes but on the other hand, they kinda dug their own grave when it comes to that, through bad decision after bad decision. An unwanted reboot, two rereleases, one of which pretty much nobody cared about and missed an entire market - PC - that was the most likely to sell well (btw, I would have bought it on PC) and the other ended up disappointing a lot of fans, and then utter silence about the series, accompanied by the usual rumors, hints and whatnot.

And this whole mess, they started building it back in 2010. 6 years time to sink themselves are a lot, and they surely didn't hesitate to shoot themselves in the foot, the knees, the balls all the way up to the chest. When it comes to this franchise, only one more headshot is needed.

So in the end, I think yeah, Capcom is definitely to blame in my opinion.
So Capcom is run by business people that don't really know their market, that's for sure.
When you screw up real bad, partly cause of your lack of knowledge on what people want and partly cause the audience has turned into a really tough one, do you keep trying to swim with the sharks out there or do you attempt to rebuild yourself in a familiar pool at home first?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
When you screw up real bad, partly cause of your lack of knowledge on what people want and partly cause the audience has turned into a really tough one, do you keep trying to swim with the sharks out there or do you attempt to rebuild yourself in a familiar pool at home first?

The second one you said, but then again, you wouldn't even need to rebuild yourself if you don't reduce yourself to a wreck in the first place. That was my point.

Besides, it's not like they didn't try to keep swimming with the sharks, considering they did spent effort and resources to rerelease a reboot that was never popular in Japan to begin with, as far as I know, and the Definitive Edition of which has only been distributed outside of Japan, to us westerners.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Just an apart, but I'm more and more convinced this Pachinko IS the product featured in that report as "Devil May Cry series".
If Capcom did the reboot, that meant they were not interested in continuing the OG series. If DmC was successful , DMC would be dead and forgotten.
Now they must continue something they didn't want to do in the first place, with a story they don't know how to proceed/ end. It will be complicated.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Gel said:
It will be complicated.

No, it will be Capcomplicated.

Anyway...I remember a similar discussion before where someone said they started to run out of ideas when they were working on 4. So I think the problems were already starting around that time (2008), and the reboot - as unnecessary as it was - was just an attempt to rectify those problems. But due to them still not getting their crap together about the original series and the reboot not doing as well as they'd hoped, they're stuck for what to do now. That's a problem they unfortunately created for themselves.

Gel

Premium
No, it will be Capcomplicated.
To be honest, they will have their heads guillotined no matter the road they choose: there will be always someone to ask their heads as prize, so it's part of their job.
The irony is that Capcom still aim their efforts to Japan, where DMC were never popular to begin with.I see this almost as a masochist wish the series to be dead for good.

Anyway...I remember a similar discussion before where someone said they started to run out of ideas when they were working on 4. So I think the problems were already starting around that time (2008), and the reboot - as unnecessary as it was - was just an attempt to rectify those problems. But due to them still not getting their crap together about the original series and the reboot not doing as well as they'd hoped, they're stuck for what to do now. That's a problem they unfortunately created for themselves.
Artbook confirms this:
They were fed up with Dante, that's why they created Nero; they didn't even want to do a DMC4, but they were forced by their bosses.
DMC4 had that feeling it would be the last entry of the series: Dante got an blood successor, the kid takes the business and gets his ladylove and life goes on.
DmC was a fresh beginning, an opportunity for original DMC team to rest and proceed with their own dreams/plans, but everything went wrong.Now they are tied with an old protagonist they don't know how to get rid of and a new guy who has no past since Capcom never thought about it( even after 8 long years), firming the idea DMC4 was to be the last game and they would never had to explain Nero's existence or parenthood.Now we DMC4 redone over and over with, at least, three versions of the same story.
IF there will be a DMC5, I imagine it will not bring nothing good or interesting to the series: only more weird plotholes and HEAVY cheap fanservice. ( which was very balanced in DMC1/DMC3).

Viper

Premium
To be honest, they will have their heads guillotined no matter the road they choose: there will be always someone to ask their heads as prize, so it's part of their job.
The irony is that Capcom still aim their efforts to Japan, where DMC were never popular to begin with.I see this almost as a masochist wish the series to be dead for good.

If there is one thing that Bleach ending taught me, is that Japanese audience is more forgiving than the western one. Japanese fans were congratulating Kubo on ending his series and wishing him a nice future. Western fandom was mostly marked by shippers raging about pairings, raging about the plot, burning Bleach merchandise, in general you'd see more posts about the series and its creator being a total failure. According to those that were hanging around 2ch, where Japanese Bleach fandom is located, this behavior was noticed and people were pretty much shaking their heads at it.
DMC fandom was no different, with their biggest raging moment being when DmC came out, and no real recovery happening after it.
When one looks at what can pass in Japan and what their audience is like, I can't really blame any Japanese company anymore for going the safer route.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
IF there will be a DMC5, I imagine it will not bring nothing good or interesting to the series: only more weird plotholes and HEAVY cheap fanservice. ( which was very balanced in DMC1/DMC3).

And THAT'S the biggest problem. With those thoughts in mind they really don't have anything to motivate them to do a DMC 5. Since I've also feared for a long time that it will probably end up being a letdown anyway due to more plot-holes and lackluster explanations to things.

You're right, they lost direction when challenged with developing DMC 4. And their trouble now is how do you make the original DMC series as relevant today as it was back then? How do you bring back Dante and the other characters and make them feel exciting again? How do you move on from the reboot and try to get people's attentions again after you've divided the fanbase? There's a lot of areas to consider and problems to work out before they go about working on DMC 5. And unless they address those points beforehand then I feel like it'll end up being something that we really don't want.

Gel

Premium
If there is one thing that Bleach ending taught me, is that Japanese audience is more forgiving than the western one. Japanese fans were congratulating Kubo on ending his series and wishing him a nice future. Western fandom was mostly marked by shippers raging about pairings, raging about the plot, burning Bleach merchandise, in general you'd see more posts about the series and its creator being a total failure. According to those that were hanging around 2ch, where Japanese Bleach fandom is located, this behavior was noticed and people were pretty much shaking their heads at it.
Japanese audience generally see characters as " persons", they are imitations of life, while western audience see them as their avatars, which implies their headcanon is more important than whatever the series creator has in mind.

DMC fandom was no different, with their biggest raging moment being when DmC came out, and no real recovery happening after it.
When one looks at what can pass in Japan and what their audience is like, I can't really blame any Japanese company anymore for going the safer route.
Hmm, since this case is about a pachinko, I wonder if they really had DMC fanbase in mind when they launched it.I know little about it, but most people play pachinko for the sake of it, not so much for the franchise in question. Safer route yes, but weird when we think Capcom is driven by money and DMC biggest sales is in West.

And THAT'S the biggest problem. With those thoughts in mind they really don't have anything to motivate them to do a DMC 5. Since I've also feared for a long time that it will probably end up being a letdown anyway due to more plot-holes and lackluster explanations to things.
Which is a shame, indeed! I'm been falling out of love with the franchise, when I was totally nuts about it. DMC4SE didn't help too much, but what it was written in the artbook was a nail in the coffin for me.

You're right, they lost direction when challenged with developing DMC 4. And their trouble now is how do you make the original DMC series as relevant today as it was back then? How do you bring back Dante and the other characters and make them feel exciting again? How do you move on from the reboot and try to get people's attentions again after you've divided the fanbase? There's a lot of areas to consider and problems to work out before they go about working on DMC 5. And unless they address those points beforehand then I feel like it'll end up being something that we really don't want.
We have two fanbases. DMC and DmC. Few people are fan of the two universes. It's a scar that it will never be healed, but whatever.
DMC5 is a heavy burden: everyone wants it, but, at same time, everyone fears it.There is a enormous possibility of failure in every way and the franchise fall from grace "forever", instead of ending in it's high point, as it was DMC4.
Funny thing about this is that Nero was created to revive the series but they never thought about creating his past, his backstory and his legitimate place in the franchise: he is now basically a Dante's copy, trying to be cool and edgy, instead of being his own character. Same with the leading ladies: when I saw their page in DMC4SE site, i couldn't help but to think they were selling sex, instead of being devil hunters.Women are there now to sell sex instead of being what they were once.
As a very good friend of mine said, DMC4SE already reflects how much Capcom dislike the franchise: there is no love or care about the work done there, even if was done only as a proof of how DMC would be be received by the fanbase and with low budget.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I don't want to agree but I have to, specially looking at those videos of the new pachinko machine. Dante and Nero flying around with bright rainbow colors in the background? DMC in the hands of Capcom has become a parody of itself. There was a time where the line between light hardheartedness and downright silliness was clear and defined and DMC never crossed it; it knew when to be serious and when to tell a joke. God, I hope this is just a Pachinko thing and it's not reflective of what Capcom thinks DMC should be....

Gel

Premium
@berto , I hate, I REALLY hate to say this, but it is what lays in my subconscious mind:
DMC4 already has its silly moments , but it still holds some seriousness on it; DMC4SE cutscenes is sillier in its cutscenes, but this Pachinko surpasses it. When I saw that Dante/ Trish silly dance or Dannte flying like a rocket, etc., I admitted to myself DMC acquired a new level of silliness. Capcom is trying to copycat Bayonetta ( you can see it in Lady/Trish cutscenes in DMC4SE and Dante/Trish scenes in pachinko)in it's style, but what fits Bayo does not fit DMC.
The same way I don't wanna Bayo to be DMC, I don't want DMC to be Bayo, they should be respected and appreciated by what they are and not a copy of the other.It does not help to know what capcom team thinks about DMC and how Dan said Capcom doesn't know what to do with the characters. ( Reuben and John agreed with him.)
My best bet is that DMC5 will be a replica of this machine or even sillier and ridiculous than that.
But before we will have a DMC4 whatever edition where the story will be retold by the "x" time, since Capcom has no guts to give answers in a next entry of the series.

Top Bottom