• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nero & continuing the story moving forward (spoiler heavy)

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
1: We still need to see more of Virgil. We HAVE to explore Nero's mother more. It's been dangled on a stick like a carrot in 5. It could be possible with just Nero but it makes more sense to have Vergil in the mix considering how 5 ended. Plus Nero never even knew his mother. Mother aside we also need to see how Vergil has changed after 5s events. This is the first time he's actually stopped a fight of his own accord and cleaned up his own mess.

2: It aren't DMC without Dante.

3: Let's also remember that when a series "removes the main character" the whole series tends to go tits up. It just alienates too many fans. UNLESS the series ends on that note. Maybe move onto a new series with the same theme from the past one. That's kind of what Star Wars did. You need to bring a series to a close FULLY before you can do that though. And DMC has too many unanswered questions with the current main characters for that to happen at this point. Vergil and Nero mainly. Which revolves around Dante because family. Given how Dante feels about family he's not just going to stand back. "Family huh."

Having just Nero would **** off a lot of DMC fans because of the absence of Dante. Not having Virgil in the next game might also be risky. There's everything to gain by having all three (and DMC5 has three characters and works). There's little to gain with only having one. If nothing else you'd have to drag out a series even more and make even more games for each character and that's just more work on the devs then it needs to be (and waiting time for the fans as a result). Capcom have PROVEN they can make it work with multiple characters in the same game. I see no reason to change that. At least not currently. Where we had Dante, V and Nero here we can easily have Dante, Vergil and Nero in the next game.

What can be done in the next game though is what Legacy of Kain did. Where we focus on one character being away from the others in the very same game. Dante and Vergil are in hell currently. But Nero is on the surface. This leaves room to play solo as Nero (like in 4) before/after Dante and Vergil. In fact I consider it likely that this will be the case in the next game. With Dante and Vergil eventually meeting Nero at the end to wrap things up. This would also mean we'd likely be playing as Vergil on his own story arc. What I can't figure out is if Vergil will travel with Dante (like we did in DMC5) of if they're going to split up. I'd like Vergil to be solo for a bit but I'd also like him to travel with Dante. It might start as one then go to the other. Considering Nero is up their on his own right now either way then he has it made. He gets to do his solo things for a bit.
Your forgetting when itsuno said this will be the LAST game following the sons of sparda story, wether dante or Vergil come back or not they won't be a focus. Dante's story is Done. If anything Vergil has more a reason to be in the next game than Dante if you consider fleshing out Nero's story to not be a son of sparda thing

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Have Nero as the main protagonist of DMC 6 alongside Nico, Kyrie, Lady, Trish, Lucia and Morrison. Maybe even throw Patty in there.

And then add Dante for Bloody Palace and maybe put him in a Special Edition with his own missions.
I dunno. I think Kyrie is kinda dead weight now, no pun intended. Also I think they should reduce amount of side characters, if they don'T have anything important to do. I definetely wouldn'T want to see patty in there xD I still hope they haven't written Dante completely off tbh, but I see what you mean. Rather than Lady and Trish I would prefer some new side characters instead tbh. Especially since Trish is pretty much connected to Dante.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I dunno. I think Kyrie is kinda dead weight now, no pun intended. Also I think they should reduce amount of side characters, if they don'T have anything important to do. I definetely wouldn'T want to see patty in there xD I still hope they haven't written Dante completely off tbh, but I see what you mean. Rather than Lady and Trish I would prefer some new side characters instead tbh. Especially since Trish is pretty much connected to Dante.

Yeah but even more newer characters and no Dante and Vergil could potentially push people away from the series. It can’t hurt to at least give Nero a whole game to himself. Nobody said Trish and Lady would be rendered useless in the game either. There wouldn’t be anything wrong with having them as playable characters.

Maybe what they could do is introduce a new character like they did with V. Make another mysterious character or someone that there’s more going on with than first meets the eye. I really liked that about V.

I just thought about bringing Lucia back considering she’s not been around in the series since DMC 2 which was I don’t know how long before 5 but quite a while back. It would be cool to see her return.

Kyrie didn’t even make an actual appearance in 5. Maybe she doesn’t have to in 6 either since Nero will be off travelling with Nico to find out more about his past and stuff and where he travels to could have demons and stuff so Kyrie would naturally stay out of the way.

Nero, Lucia, new character, Lady and Trish would be a decent enough team to take down anything that was thrown at them. Dante seemed confident enough to leave the fate of the human world in Nero’s hands so giving him a game where there was no Dante to save the day (looking at you DMC 4) would finally give Nero and chance to prove Dante’s trust in him. Also what better of a threat than Mundus? Maybe even by the end when Nero inevitably wins against the Prince of Darkness there could be a cutscene where Dante and Vergil (or just Dante or Vergil) return via the same portal opened to seal Mundus.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I got yer back. :wink:

It's been approximately eleven years since Lucia met Dante.

Well holy fudge then that’s been way too long. So I’d definitely like to see her back. What’s she been up to in all that time? Maybe she tried to give herself a purpose or Dante gave her a job to do.

She could’ve been putting together her own elite team of Devil Hunters. Nobody said they had to be demons either they could all be humans simply trained by her to fight demons so they’d be capable of taking out small areas effected by demons.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Having Nero beat mundus would be a great way to finish the series , then have Dante and Vergil come back through that portal that mundus uses to come back to the human world

Since mundus could create dimensions/universe according to kamiya, he could most likely make a portal from the demon world to the human world

Then maybe Dante and Vergil come through it looking older and deadlier, Dante can pass ebony and ivory to Vergil and Nero who can call out jackpot and seal mundus again

Then continue the series via canon novels an anime or comics

And maybe a new protagonist with nothing to do with the sparda bloodline for a game set far into the future

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Honestly I rather toss Nero's discount Dante butt to the side and bring back my boy V and his demon pets (Weird Goth pokemon trainer FTW)

Trust me guys it'll be awesome- "Doctor Who with demons".

I'll save that for my fanfic stash and get back on topic-

I'm cool with a crossover game- DMC x Bayonetta, DMC x DmC, DMC x NG/DOA, DMC X Darkstalkers.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Honestly I rather toss Nero's discount Dante butt to the side and bring back my boy V and his demon pets (Weird Goth pokemon trainer FTW)

Trust me guys it'll be awesome- "Doctor Who with demons".

I'll save that for my fanfic stash and get back on topic-

I'm cool with a crossover game- DMC x Bayonetta, DMC x DmC, DMC x NG/DOA, DMC X Darkstalkers.

That’s a little unfair. Nero has developed more since DMC 4. At least in my eyes he’s no longer just a wannabe Dante punk lookalike.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
If he is like any Dante it's the one from the reboot , but he is still very teen like in 5

Still whines a lot and gets hotheaded over everything

That's down to writing though to be fair , so a game set with just him in the future (storywise) , dante/Vergil still in bp or dlc

Will give him room to flourish and become a legendary devil hunter himself

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
That’s a little unfair. Nero has developed more since DMC 4. At least in my eyes he’s no longer just a wannabe Dante punk lookalike.
Some of that was meant to be in jest but I should've used emoticons.

Honestly, I'm lukewarm about Nero's role/potential and I'm more on the side of him having less to do with Sparda family drama. He shouldn't be stuck cleaning up Sparda's mess like Dante was.

Of course, certain things should be touched upon like Nero's dynamic with his dad but I do wanna see him tackle different cases. It would be interesting if Nero's mom could have a more substantial role than another damsel/sacrificial lamb but baby steps.

Last edited:

AngelEyes

Dressed To Kill
Honestly no. This is a series about what it's about. This is the cast, this is the lore etc.

That being said. If Itsuno wants to do a spiritual successor and go off the rails then sure, if you've got it flaunt it.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Itsuno claimed it was the end of the son of Sparda saga. They never alluded to the fact that they would not return but the line where Dante says they’re leaving things up to Nero from here on out is to me a clear sign that the series isn’t going to continue in the direction of Dante and Vergil. This only leaves Nero and the rest of the DMC cast.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Well lady and Trish were always part of Dante's crew , so it's safe to say if there is no Dante and Vergil , I doubt lady and Trish will stick around for Nero

Most likely scenario will be Nero Nico and Kyrie moving forward, probably with some new characters too

A few nods or cameos from the sparda twins , Trish lady and Morrison and hopefully playable Dante in bloody palace

Truthfully I wanted and still want the series to continue with Dante, as I don't particularly like Nero, but itsuno wrote Dante into a corner so my heart and head tell me that Dante is done story wise

All I really want if that is the case is a more mature Nero , maybe a mundus comeback and most of all an antagonist that beats the crap out of and maybe even kills Nero before they win (hopefully mundus)

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I thought Vergil had the most potential of the Sparda trio in terms of character arc so I wanted him to take the reins pre DMC5.

I have my concerns but I'm gonna be open to whoever if it's done well.

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Yeah but even more newer characters and no Dante and Vergil could potentially push people away from the series. It can’t hurt to at least give Nero a whole game to himself. Nobody said Trish and Lady would be rendered useless in the game either. There wouldn’t be anything wrong with having them as playable characters.

Maybe what they could do is introduce a new character like they did with V. Make another mysterious character or someone that there’s more going on with than first meets the eye. I really liked that about V.

I just thought about bringing Lucia back considering she’s not been around in the series since DMC 2 which was I don’t know how long before 5 but quite a while back. It would be cool to see her return.

Kyrie didn’t even make an actual appearance in 5. Maybe she doesn’t have to in 6 either since Nero will be off travelling with Nico to find out more about his past and stuff and where he travels to could have demons and stuff so Kyrie would naturally stay out of the way.

Nero, Lucia, new character, Lady and Trish would be a decent enough team to take down anything that was thrown at them. Dante seemed confident enough to leave the fate of the human world in Nero’s hands so giving him a game where there was no Dante to save the day (looking at you DMC 4) would finally give Nero and chance to prove Dante’s trust in him. Also what better of a threat than Mundus? Maybe even by the end when Nero inevitably wins against the Prince of Darkness there could be a cutscene where Dante and Vergil (or just Dante or Vergil) return via the same portal opened to seal Mundus.
They need to reinvent Lucia, tbh. Also there is a problem, that both Lady and Trish don't have any relation to Nero, so it would be purely business relation, which makes them not so exiting. Which is why I'm fine if they keep Dante, albeit even not as main character anymore.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think they could just have Nero form a bond with Trish/lady. Or just give him bonds with new hunters.

Beryl and Lucia aren't doing anything ;).

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Innsmouth - As @Lain mentioned to me it’s been 11 years since Lucia appeared in the series alongside Dante. Now to what I previously posted - So I’d definitely like to see her back. What’s she been up to in all that time? Maybe she tried to give herself a purpose or Dante gave her a job to do.

She could’ve been putting together her own elite team of Devil Hunters. Nobody said they had to be demons either they could all be humans simply trained by her to fight demons so they’d be capable of taking out small areas effected by demons.

There’s loads they could say or do with Lucia still. And I don’t understand what the whole problem with Lady and Trish sticking around with Nero is. Their job is basically to clean up areas effected by demons just the same as Dante’s job and Nero’s job. And Nero IS Dante’s nephew so by default they’d be inclined to stick around with him. He should have more right than them to own Devil May Cry. Nothing wrong with them working alongside him from here on out.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Nero has a lot of potential both story wise and gameplay wise to be a really good lead.

I can definitely see him working with Trish and Lady, I don't see where the problem is, but I'd rather have those two working in duo, just them without Nero, as their interactions with each other could be really fun. Nero in the meantime can "inherit" Devil May Cry until Dante comes back, if ever. Moving on from being a mobile unit force to the main one.

As for gameplay, there's so much room for expansion with his Devil Bringer and Breakers. The most easily desirable thing would be giving both his Devil Breakers AND his Bringer directional inputs (forward, back, back to forward, even circle motions as DMC5 started to experiment with). That way his moveset would increase massively even without giving him additional weapons and guns, or making his Breakers freely switchable. Also, if that shown in DMC5 is his regular DT, they can also expand on that area by giving him a Sin variant like Dante and Vergil.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
@LordOfDarkness @Foxtrot94 I disagree with a lot of this stuff, but I don't want to argue. Personally I think if they don't give Lady and Trish their own storyline, they shouldn't bring them back at all. Because if the stick to Nero, it's either they be background characters or they will look Nero look incapable handling anything on their own. I also dunno why they should stick around Nero, if I'm not mistaken Lady barely knows him, and Trish only knows him from her Order days
. I also don't think cast of characters should grow with each new entry, since it will lead to current Flash Tv problem, where main hero is only one of the many and barely matters, because of how big his team is.
Currently Nero don't have his own lore, he was always rotating around Dante, so in my opinoin they should build it independent from Dante since, otherwise it will be "oh it's Nero in Dante's office, with Dante's friends fighting Dante's enemies."
Also it's my personal feeling, but I still want to have Dante in main storyline, even if he's more on sidelines. But that's my 2 cents on the matter :rolleyes:

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I agree , if I had a say I'd have Dante as the lead in every game

But as that's not the case and doesn't look to be moving forward, Nero should have his own cast unique to him

Lady and Trish are part of Dante's crew and should not be tacked onto Nero for the sake of it

Nero needs to stand on his own if he is to be the lead protagonist solo moving forward

Also I too agree having Nero take over Dante's office is just too close to home and weird

Trish and lady practically lived in the place and the ending suggests they will run it, that is perfectly okay with me and means they can get a cameo here and there for the sake of keeping them in the canon

I think though that Nero needs to be the main focus of he is going to be the main lead, also of he is to take over the protection of earth now he needs to deal with more than just demons

Maybe they can add in mythology into the game now , vampires werewolves etc

Last edited:
Top Bottom