• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nero & continuing the story moving forward (spoiler heavy)

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
So guys what are your thoughts on Nero being completely solo if the story continues, what threats can he face now urizen Mindy's Abigail and argosax are gone

And how would ye feel about no Dante whatsoever in future games (if we get some)

Personally I am okay with Nero being the sole lead protagonist, but the guy needs to mature , and learn to relax his hotheaded crap

He is seasoned now and should act like it

His devil trigger intrigues me too , it's so different that I want to flesh out his mother more now

DarkSlayerVergil

So guys what are your thoughts on Nero being completely solo if the story continues, what threats can he face now urizen Mindy's Abigail and argosax are gone

And how would ye feel about no Dante whatsoever in future games (if we get some)

Personally I am okay with Nero being the sole lead protagonist, but the guy needs to mature , and learn to relax his hotheaded crap

He is seasoned now and should act like it

His devil trigger intrigues me too , it's so different that I want to flesh out his mother more now
I'd be all for it tbh. You could have his game start out with a bunch of humans getting axcess to devil arms they can't control and becoming bonded to them against their will. This could cause Nero to do a bit of detective work as way of harkoning back to his original character concept while also showing his growth as a character. Mind you we'd still have stylish gameplay but at this point I'd imagine either:
  • Nero's devil breaker becoming singular as in you could choose which one you would want to bring with you but now each individual devil breaker would have a more wide variety of abilities and moves pertaining to it said ability plus Nero's devil trigger would enhance its ability.
  • He could manually switch them.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Honestly I rather just get someone new and start fresh. Not like a hard reboot but just a setting/story disconnected from Sparda.

Nero's serviceable as a lead but doesn't bring a lot to the table that excites me.

Last edited:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
If the idea was put before me years ago I would’ve jumped up and said “Not if it doesn’t have Dante in it”. Now I think I’m at that point where I’d be okay with them just continuing the story with Nero. He’s still a very cool and interesting character and there are still things for him and us to all learn.

He could start to learn/come to terms with his new Devil Trigger. We could see him come to terms with the fact that Vergil is his father (he may even want to find out more about him) They never really explained what made the Devil Bringer in the first place so that would still be interesting to explore. And then finally there’s his mother as well that he might want to go and find.

There’s just still a lot of directions they could go with him and still a really good story to be told. In my head I’m thinking have him go and find out more about his mother and father and along the way he comes to realise what the Devil Bringer really is. You could have it corrupt him like it’s his demonic side manifesting and taking over his human side until he’s just completely demon (basically just like Vergil splitting both his forms) only this time it’s against Nero’s will that it’s happening. Corrupt Nero might actually be stronger than Dante/Vergil considering (1) Nero’s mother might not have even been human herself (2) He seemed to bįtchslap Dante pretty easily and stop Dante and Vergil when they were both in their DT forms (3) Nero would essentially be older, more mature, and more seasoned as a fighter at this point so definitely a good match for Dante.

Have the only way to stop Nero to be the return of Dante and Vergil and Yamato to set free his demon and human sides and then Dante and Vergil defeat Nerozen (couldn’t resist) and we’re left with just Nero’s human side but making Nero weak and no longer demon could mean that Dante has to use Rebellion on Vergil who chooses to sacrifice himself to merge with Nero and reform his very original self pre-corruption.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Back when DMC4 came out, and even when DmC came out, I'd have said 'Hells no!". I never disliked Nero, but for me, DMC without Dante just wasn't worth it. But, I've had 10 years to get use to the idea. A Nero lead DMC is by far much better then no DMC at all.
If DMC6 were to get announced, with Nero as the only playable character, then I'll be all for it, and will be just as hyped as I was for DMC5. As for the villain, as I said in a previous post, Mundus isn't dead, just sealed. With Dante and Vergil trapped in hell, it would be an ideal time for Mundus to strike and try to take over the human world, obviously not taking Nero seriously.
Or even a new villain, I did have a couple of ideas, but the best I could think of is maybe a child of Mundus or something of the like.

Taramafor

1: We still need to see more of Virgil. We HAVE to explore Nero's mother more. It's been dangled on a stick like a carrot in 5. It could be possible with just Nero but it makes more sense to have Vergil in the mix considering how 5 ended. Plus Nero never even knew his mother. Mother aside we also need to see how Vergil has changed after 5s events. This is the first time he's actually stopped a fight of his own accord and cleaned up his own mess.

2: It aren't DMC without Dante.

3: Let's also remember that when a series "removes the main character" the whole series tends to go tits up. It just alienates too many fans. UNLESS the series ends on that note. Maybe move onto a new series with the same theme from the past one. That's kind of what Star Wars did. You need to bring a series to a close FULLY before you can do that though. And DMC has too many unanswered questions with the current main characters for that to happen at this point. Vergil and Nero mainly. Which revolves around Dante because family. Given how Dante feels about family he's not just going to stand back. "Family huh."

Having just Nero would **** off a lot of DMC fans because of the absence of Dante. Not having Virgil in the next game might also be risky. There's everything to gain by having all three (and DMC5 has three characters and works). There's little to gain with only having one. If nothing else you'd have to drag out a series even more and make even more games for each character and that's just more work on the devs then it needs to be (and waiting time for the fans as a result). Capcom have PROVEN they can make it work with multiple characters in the same game. I see no reason to change that. At least not currently. Where we had Dante, V and Nero here we can easily have Dante, Vergil and Nero in the next game.

What can be done in the next game though is what Legacy of Kain did. Where we focus on one character being away from the others in the very same game. Dante and Vergil are in hell currently. But Nero is on the surface. This leaves room to play solo as Nero (like in 4) before/after Dante and Vergil. In fact I consider it likely that this will be the case in the next game. With Dante and Vergil eventually meeting Nero at the end to wrap things up. This would also mean we'd likely be playing as Vergil on his own story arc. What I can't figure out is if Vergil will travel with Dante (like we did in DMC5) of if they're going to split up. I'd like Vergil to be solo for a bit but I'd also like him to travel with Dante. It might start as one then go to the other. Considering Nero is up their on his own right now either way then he has it made. He gets to do his solo things for a bit.

Last edited:

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
They have never felt Vergil was strong enough to have his own standalone game , only about him

They wrote Dante into a corner as mundus is sealed and all the demon kings etc are defeated and gone

Vergil being his equal falls into that category too

Nero has potential growth still and an enemy like mundus would be a real test for him

Also he is young and still becoming established

Fan service aside Dante and Vergil are getting older and it's obvious from 4 onwards that they are trying to pass the torch onto Nero

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Yeah I basically got that impression from the end of 5 that they were trying to pass the torch onto Nero. They obviously consider him strong enough and capable enough to handle things. Dante saying so himself to Nero at the end of 5.

There’s loads they could still do with Nero where you wouldn’t even need Dante or Vergil.

I’d say give Nero a game on his own with Lady, Trish and Nico. Lucia could come back as well and team with them and she’s quite tough so they’d have a pretty capable team to tackle demonic threats.

Taramafor

They have never felt Vergil was strong enough to have his own standalone game , only about him
How do you know that won't happen in the next game? It's the perfect opportunity to do so.

They wrote Dante into a corner as mundus is sealed and all the demon kings etc are defeated and gone
They also wrote Dante appearing to be the bad guy in 4 which brought him back. And in 3 with his brother. You can write up anything to bring back past characters. Provided the plot makes enough sense. It happens all the time in games. Of course they kind of mucked up the later half of 4, but that's a game design flaw which lead to compromising the story (I imagine a good chunk of 4s later half got scrapped and was replaced with the same boss fights). In 5 he's back because of his brother. Again, yes, but in a very different way then from 3. They wrote him back in. They also wrote Vergil back in, despite him being "written into a corner". If that didn't happen DMC5 wouldn't exist in the first place. As for demon kings, there's always another demon trying to claim the crown. And it doesn't have to be about demon kings either. A "king" isn't always the "biggest threat". In DMC3 it's even a human. My point is you can always "write yourself out of a corner".

Nero has potential growth still and an enemy like mundus would be a real test for him
We don't need a game focused on JUST Nero for this to happen. It's perfectly possible for it to happen with Dante and Vergil as well. While being "away from them" in the same game. As I stated before. We also ended DMC5 AS Nero, which means Nero had the spotlight at the end of the game. Vergil WAS his test. He stood up to his own dad (who gives even Dante a spanking of all people) and fought for his acceptance going "Find another way then killing each other". Nero in the end of DMC5 was the most grown up one of all. Where Dante and Vergil were acting like stubborn children (wait, did Nero... spank his own dad?) You could even say Dante and Vergil are the ones that have grown up. Because of Nero. Nero might be an immature ass at times but he gets the good things done. But that can be said for Dante too. You'd be surprised how often "being an ass" works. Being naive (or ignorant) is another matter. Is Nero naive? What does he need to "learn"? How does he need to grow and why? What if Nero is still acting the same way in his later years because it's the only approach that works without people killing each other? What if being "too realistic" is the problem in the first place and why Dante and Vergil tried to kill each other?

Also he is young and still becoming established
So was Anakin in Star Wars. We still had Obi Won and Yoda. Anakin even has his own apprentice in a spin off movie. This is just only proving that Nero needs guidance. He JUST found out he has a farther. Nero having a talk with Vergil about how to avoid "past mistakes" would be nice. In a serious, none mushy manner. At the same time Nero also needs to be able to live his own life and do his own thing. But a DMC game focused on just him alone isn't the way to do it. From a business standpoint you stand to lose customers due to not having Dante. I'm one for taking risks but that move is too risky. I don't want Capcom to play it too safe either, but 5 took a fair few risks and pulled things off. But that's because they made very sure they'd keep all the key characters involved. Once you take characters away it becomes more of a problem. People are already unhappy they can't play as Mary and Trish (which is understandable as they're SIDEKICKS. Dante and Vergil are not sidekicks though). Start taking away main characters and fans are going to flip tables. People are just too attached to them at this point.

Fan service aside Dante and Vergil are getting older and it's obvious from 4 onwards that they are trying to pass the torch onto Nero
And as old characters people have come to like them and want them to stick around. Despite or even because of their age. This isn't Final Fantasy where you can just replace the main characters willy nilly. Just because you want to "move on" from them doesn't mean others do. There needs to be a compromise. And having Nero on his own in the same game with Dante and Vergil away from him and having them meet up at the end sounds like a good compromise. A topic you have completely ignored and one I am now currently pushing. Give me one good reason why we can't do that. You get what you want, people that like Dante and Vergil get what they want. It's win win.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
With the global and universal destruction threats gone

Dante isn't actually needed anymore to be honest

They just shoehorn Him in to please fans

And in 5 to bring his story up to date and some bit full circle ,and clean it up a bit

Personally I believe Nero fighting mundus would be a nice end to the series

And I never claimed to know what would happen in any future game so I dunno where u pulled that from

I said capcom have never felt Vergil was a character that they could write a standalone game and story for

That they saw his arc as tragic

Feel free to read interviews about it as it's been said more than once when they were asked why Vergil didn't get his own game (which is what I based my statement on)

Since mundus told Dante he would be back and Dante said to give his regards to his son

It being Vergil's son who puts him down is just as fitting

Last edited:

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
No reason they couldn't be playable in bp or other means but the way it's leaning towards

Seems to suggest Dante and Vergil's time as intricate parts of the plot is done

And sparda needs to be moved past

I will always love Dante's character myself though, he is my all time favourite fictional character next to Goku from Dragonball

Which is ironic as they have many similarities

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
They are both immature , like to have fun

And love a good fight , they fight for those around them and are pushovers for women

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I'm fine with Nero being main character. But I still want Dante and Vergil playable. Tbh dante is just to enjoyable and fun of a character.

Have Nero as the main protagonist of DMC 6 alongside Nico, Kyrie, Lady, Trish, Lucia and Morrison. Maybe even throw Patty in there.

And then add Dante for Bloody Palace and maybe put him in a Special Edition with his own missions.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Nero needs that mundus moment for his story

Dante beat Vergil , then below Angelo then mundus then Abigail argosax and the despair embodied and an alternate more powerful mundus

And then beat urizen pre and post fruit

Nero beat a damaged and power loss drained saviour and a boosted sanctus

And some demon general tier characters in 5

In 4 Dante had to finish off and kill Nero's bosses for him

So Nero needs to grow as a hunter and establish himself

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
I think Nero should get his own new recruits of new demon hunters. Plus to find other demon hunting agencies like Devil May Cry.

The Hellfire Club can be the next antagonists as they can try to revive Mundus. Dante & Vergil find out about this while in the Underworld, but Dante gets Vergil to return to the Human World to help Nero if something happens.

Dante could end up becoming "Bianco Diablo" (White Devil) and Nero & Vergil try to save him.

Nero vs Mundus - only this time in a sword fight.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'd be ok with a rotating cast each game. One game is a Lady/Trish, another is Nero and the other is Dante/Vergil or Sparda/Eva etc. I'm cool with not every character being used in every story because they haven't done a good job giving everybody something to do.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
With Dante & Vergil in Hell, we need new hunters.

Each one with Dante's style.

Swordmaster, Gunslinger, Trickster & Royal Guard.

Top Bottom