• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Lack Of Maturity Regarding Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asmodaius

Dark Drakan;276430 said:
Wasnt over this in particular but some spiteful abusive members who made her feel she no longer wanted to continue staffing the boards. So due to lack of respect and ungrateful nature of some members here she demoted herself and left to continue on our other forums.

So it was because of the forum members, and not the game then?
Whoa... That's just harsh.

Isn't it within an admin's power to ban such members if members are being abusive and spiteful to such a harsh degree? Or is that quite alright with the rules?

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Asmodaius;276577 said:

Isn't it within an admin's power to ban such members if members are being abusive and spiteful to such a harsh degree? Or is that quite alright with the rules?

She has the power to do that, but if she does, she will ban all of the new members that have joined the forum just to bash on DmC. However, she doesn't want to do that, sick of the immature attitudes shown in the board, demoted herself to a normal member, and left this forum, like Dark Drakan said.

Regardless, the damage is done, and I seriously hope that no argument will take place in this thread and I have already seen an argument happened in this thread two days ago. If you really want to make an argument, do it somewhere else, and not in this thread. Carry it on with your Visitor Messages or Private Messages.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
Chaos Master;276602 said:
Regardless, the damage is done, and I seriously hope that no argument will take place in this thread and I have already seen an argument happened in this thread two days ago. If you really want to make an argument, do it somewhere else, and not in this thread. Carry it on with your Visitor Messages or Private Messages.

Couldnt agree with you more CM

Meg

^ BASH BASH BASH! FLAME FLAME FLAME!

Oh yeah. I went there. :lol:

Sorry. Had to do that.

Cuervo

An amazing, amazing comment from a Kotaku user explaining his point-of-view:

In character design, when someone tells you to "go extreme," you will often do your absolute worst works using the absolute worst ideas. It's the idea of "plussing." Capcom's actually taking a smarter approach to the redesign than anyone realizes; when you design something, you design it to be absolutely implausible, then keep cutting away until you find something that works. You then keep cutting until you wind up at the soul of what you're going after. So, I'm not surprised in the least that Dante wound up shirtless with suspenders; I mean, if you see some of the designs for Kratos early in the development of God of War, you'll understand how weird character designs can get.

I'm not saying I agree with Capcom's approach to this; 2.7 mil is still a solid pull. But they're also in a bit of a rut; sequels for games tend to do significantly worse than their predecessors, and get worse numbers iteratively. That's the usual trend. This trend fluctuates pretty regularly, but when most gamers who aren't as dedicated as, say, people who post here and actually read these kinds of articles, seeing a number on a game past the title is usually an indicator that the series is already invested. If you weren't a part of this before, don't get involved. This isn't always the case, but it does support the trend a bit. Capcom's probably looking at the usual trend and is using the reboot to get the series back on top. I don't mind wanting more numbers, but rebooting a franchise with a legion of adoring fans is not the best way to start.

That said, from here on out, I'm treating it as an inevitability. We have a reboot now. Time to make the best of it. And I'll be honest, the old Dante was spotty at best. We've gotten a somber Dante with some kickass one-liners and absolutely horrible scenes (DMC1), a mute (DMC2), a badass teenager who is EXTREEEEME (DMC3) and an odd combination of the first and third characters placed almost like an afterthought and thrown forcibly through levels the player's already JUST experienced (DMC4). As a character, he's... Kind of boring. He's invincible. He doesn't break a sweat. It's rare for us to see him falter. He is a BORING CHARACTER. He's guilty of a lot of the flaws we lambast Western characters for, yet we praise him because he looks good doing it. And that's fine, for a mindless action game, but the series spins a pretty interesting narrative, and Dante doesn't really support that.

Ninja Theory's devoted to character. They're devoted to narrative. Say what you want about Heavenly Sword's gameplay, but the narrative structure and handle on characters was fantastic. Their designs were appropriate, deliberate; nothing seemed erroneous or out of place considering their setting. And, it looks like they're taking the same approach with Dante, a pre-established character with a lot of fan love. Thanks to Capcom, Ninja Theory was NOT going to win fans over. They weren't even allowed. They have my sympathies, but I'm also rooting for them. I want them to make this character mean something. I want to be interested in Dante again, on a character level, not just on a one-liner awesome-action-sequence level. And I think Ninja Theory could do it

Silahsor

Lead Guitar
Cuervo;276624 said:
An amazing, amazing comment from a Kotaku user explaining his point-of-view:

That fella is right actually plus the story of the series and the timeline is badly messed up and there is a lot of characters we know realy not such thing about them and the whole nero situation...If they going to be loyal to previous game,reboot look a logical choise because besides dante,there's 3 more character that deserves their own story line actually (lucia,vergil,nero) if they get some order to story,make a good gameplay as the previous dmc's and tell some more stories about the other playable ones,capcom will get their goal...difficult but not impossible.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
Silahsor;276636 said:
That fella is right actually plus the story of the series and the timeline is badly messed up and there is a lot of characters we know realy not such thing about them and the whole nero situation...If they going to be loyal to previous game,reboot look a logical choise because besides dante,there's 3 more character that deserves their own story line actually (lucia,vergil,nero) if they get some order to story,make a good gameplay as the previous dmc's and tell some more stories about the other playable ones,capcom will get their goal...difficult but not impossible.

they'd be able to make it the same story...but with a LOT more order to it...i really wanna see wat Kratos could've looked like lol

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Yeah, I agree with that Kotaku user fella. I don't know much about Ninja Theory other than that they put a lot of thought on storyline and character profiles. I do love Dante but lately he's been getting boring...I would like to see his character re-vamped instead of cheesy one liners we always hear.

If this reboot pulls off on a spectacular level I can see them doing future DMC games. It will be difficult for NT, but I believe they will pull through!

Dark Drakan

Admin
Asmodaius;276577 said:

Yeah it was the members and a lot of them. We can ban anyone yeah but Sharon just found the community as a whole had taken a nosedive and just got tired of having people speak to the staff in such a disrespectful manner. Ive got thicker skin and some of the comments people directed the staffs way upset her and she wished us luck at getting the community to a mature state and left. She wasnt happy with the general attitude and aura of the forums and that cant be fixed with banning people.

fox

I think the main reason why a lot of the fans are reacting very strongly to this is because Ninja theory made the biggest mistake that can ever be made in a debut trailer.
They showed a completely different character in looks and personality , a different world and atmosphere. Nothing about the game feels the same, so many of the fans who have been playing this game for years are getting angry, because they feel that the soul of the game they love is gone and they are just so loyal to let that happen.

If you want to start working on a game that has been around for so long do not start by changing the main character and the world , start by showing the things that improved from the previous titles to appeal to the original fans of the series, show them that the game they love is still pretty much the same with improvements and then tell them about the things you think needed to be changed.

I think people would have reacted more positively towards this game if they would have seen that new Dante doing a lot of the things that the previous Dante did, then everyone would find something to relate to in that new Dante.

Vampi

fox;276924 said:
I think the main reason why a lot of the fans are reacting very strongly to this is because Ninja theory made the biggest mistake that can ever be made in a debut trailer.

The thing is, it was Capcom's doing the whole time. Ninja Theory only wanted to do small changes to Dante's look, but Capcom wanted sumthing more drastic. Thus, since Capcom hired Ninja Theory, they had no choice but to oblige.

Asmodaius

Dark Drakan;276868 said:
Yeah it was the members and a lot of them. We can ban anyone yeah but Sharon just found the community as a whole had taken a nosedive and just got tired of having people speak to the staff in such a disrespectful manner. Ive got thicker skin and some of the comments people directed the staffs way upset her and she wished us luck at getting the community to a mature state and left. She wasnt happy with the general attitude and aura of the forums and that cant be fixed with banning people.

Hmm, I guess you're right. I think it's kinda sad though, because a forum like this is for fans to gather and have fun discussing topics about a common interest. And as long we stay within the forum rules, then everyone should feel welcome doing so.

I admit, when I first found this forum, I was a bit intimidated by all the angry, raging and hateful threads and posts about this new DmC trailer - a trailer I was rather excited about.

I guess people tend to forget that there are actual human beings behind the written text, and when being anonymous protected by the internet, it is easier to bash at someone who disagrees with you - I know, because I have done the same some times as well which I have regretted since.

Of course people are going to disagree on some things, such as the changes Capcom and Ninja Theory have done with this reboot, but it seems rather unfair that some people are driving others out of the forum, like your former colleague.

I hope the overall mood changes though.

Meg

^ Well said! ^_^

I like to look at the bright side. We got a lot of new members now, so hopefully things will calm down soon and this forum can be really fun for all the new guys here. There's already some fun threads in other sections. :lol:

Dominus

Asmodaius;276965 said:
Hmm, I guess you're right. I think it's kinda sad though, because a forum like this is for fans to gather and have fun discussing topics about a common interest. And as long we stay within the forum rules, then everyone should feel welcome doing so.

I admit, when I first found this forum, I was a bit intimidated by all the angry, raging and hateful threads and posts about this new DmC trailer - a trailer I was rather excited about.

I guess people tend to forget that there are actual human beings behind the written text, and when being anonymous protected by the internet, it is easier to bash at someone who disagrees with you - I know, because I have done the same some times as well which I have regretted since.

Of course people are going to disagree on some things, such as the changes Capcom and Ninja Theory have done with this reboot, but it seems rather unfair that some people are driving others out of the forum, like your former colleague.

I hope the overall mood changes though.

Yah with teamwork we can make everyone like DmC. TBH this mood was created on purpose by capcom (they even said it), so why don't people put any blame on them for heating the pot. And because this is a pretty popular DMC forum you're going to be gettin a lot of rage in a short period of time. It will probably cool off eventually (duh), but in the mean time stop caring about people raging at DmC. Its their opinion, and its not like you are Capcom's PR department. It's perfectly acceptable for moderators to ban people for going overboard on the trolling, but if People are just venting rage what better place then the Internet. Where else are they going to vent the local DMC fan club?

Meg

Dominus;276974 said:
Yah with teamwork we can make everyone like DmC. TBH this mood was created on purpose by capcom (they even said it), so why don't people put any blame on them for heating the pot. And because this is a pretty popular DMC forum you're going to be gettin a lot of rage in a short period of time. It will probably cool off eventually (duh), but in the mean time stop caring about people raging at DmC. Its their opinion, and its not like you are Capcom's PR department. It's perfectly acceptable for moderators to ban people for going overboard on the trolling, but if People are just venting rage what better place then the Internet. Where else are they going to vent the local DMC fan club?

Capcom Unity boards. :|

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
It would've been better if they hadn't directed their rage at other people, is the thing.

Ever since Angel left, I've felt partly responsible... And I bet I am, somewhat.

Asmodaius

Dominus;276974 said:

No no, I am not in on making some crusade against those who dislike the reboot, that wasn't the point at all. However, the constant bashing and colliding between the likers and the haters is bringing down the whole mood of the forum. It's the members' fault, not Capcom's or Ninja Theory's.

Of course people should be able to vent their anger in some way, and writing it down is a big help actually, but when people post in every thread about how much they hate the reboot it just gets tiresome and boring. I created a thread for those who -do- like the reboot for them to post their overall excitement about it and maybe the haters should make a thread in a similar fashion and then stick to that thread instead of each one making a new thread called "DmC SUXXORS!!" and alike.

Just an idea, of course.

Meg

^ That's actually a really good idea. Like a blow of steam about DmC kinda tread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom