• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Lack Of Maturity Regarding Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
That was very well written Asmodaius, I do feel the same about the entire situation. We can't make people look at it from the view we do...we just have to accept it and make the best of it. I don't like the vicious circle that keeps coming around when you get people trying to defend your posts (you have a couple times for me :$) I am sorry for that...

Lovers for the new DMC may change their opinons, and as you stated Asmodaius, you want to do it on your own when more info is released, not forced upon you. Again, I feel the same way when people are telling me my theories about DMC are illogical and it being a prequel not a reboot so on and so forth.

All in all, I think you're doing great :) I'm just speechless cuz you pretty much summed up what was running through my mind and placed it in your own post. I'd rather discuss than pointlessly berate each other over and over again.

Asmodaius

I'm overall a positive person and not easily disappointed. I mean, just look at what Vampi writes about my post. She thinks I am insane, on drugs and have taken this reboot as my religion, because I state that I have high hopes for this reboot. That she pokes at me for being condescending (she even poked at me in one post for using that word 'condescending') towards those who dislikes the reboot, that is just fair and she is right about that. It does indeed come off as being immature, and of course that's not the impression I want to give people.

moseslmpg

Acedia;277556 said:
Women, smart?! LOL
JK, One love.
I'm really not sexiest.
I love my women.
I thought you were a woman...Your posting style tends to be pretty feminine, and your username is feminine as well, if I'm not mistaken.

You know, I believe it was Freud that indicated that our unconscious beliefs could be discerned from our "jokes" and other slip-ups. Interesting...
Asmodaius;277577 said:
Vampi... You crack me up. XD
You keep disagreeing with everything I say for some reason, and that's alright, don't get me wrong. You got your own opinion and I got mine. ^^ moseslmpg is doing it somewhat too, but oh well, can't agree with them all.
Don't bring me into this. I have avoided posting in this thread because I don't see what good it will do. That said, I will do what I always do.
However, to the point. First of all, I wasn't comparing the DmC teaser trailer with the past DMC trailers. I was comparing the feeling I got from the DmC trailer with the feeling I got from the past DMC -games-. So you misunderstood me there and sorry if I didn't express that properly. The same with what I mean with this being a reboot with new elements as well as some familiar ones from the past games - elements I find familiar, that is. I don't mean to contradict myself, but what I write makes sense in my head, because I know what I mean and then it seems to fail when others try and understand the meaning of it.
This was a problem of opacity, as you admit. I think I have mentioned before, but we aren't phenomenologists, so saying one thing gives the same experience as another is directly implying those two things are comparable. Vampi's point is that there are no non-trivial (e.g. two handguns), non-arbitrary (e.g. the name) elements of the DINO trailer that link it to past DMC trailers or games. So any similar experience you are having is probably self generated due to your own pre-existent belief about the game.
But yeah, I guess I've been bad at pointing fingers at those who seems to dislike the reboot. To all you who doesn't like the reboot, I'm sorry for bonking you on the head because of it. It was unfair of me. We all have different opinions, and I'd love to discuss them with you, wether they are positive or negative, and if it just end with bashing and colliding then I hope we can just agree to disagree. Enforcing one's views on others isn't alright, so we should try not to.
Thank you. I can't speak for the others, but I do appreciate the sentiment and hope that it is sincere. I would like to note that Vampi and I are in a gray area, neither hating or supporting DINO, but merely treating it as another action game.
About how to look at the reboot's Dante - To me, it is still Dante. It's a re-envision of him, yes, but I still see him as Dante. That's -my- opinion. I admit when reading that others write "That's not Dante" I want try and make them understand that it -is- Dante. But that's because to -me- he is. That's forcing my opinion on others and I apologize for that. But when I write "This is Dante" I get the same responce from other, trying to tell me that it isn't Dante, because they don't see it as Dante... And then we end up in this viscious circle where we just end up repeating ourselves.
If his name wasn't Dante, he would be unrecognizable as such. That is the basis for calling him Dino and for rejecting the idea that he simply is Dante. Until he shows that he preserves the spirit of the real Dante, he will remain Dino. To accept him as Dante by default is to blindly accept the dictate of Capcom/NT, which is not prudent or rational. But to be charitable, you might say there are two sides to the Dante debate. One side believes that the locus of identity is in the essence or persona, and the other side, ostensibly your side, seems to believe that the locus of identity lies within the name. Something can be said for each position, but I believe the former is more valid and truer to reality.
Sometimes I can't help but poking a bit at the haters though, and I mean those who really are raging fans! Hence the picture I posted in the other thread and my sig-text. If you get really offended by those small things, then it's because you don't get my sense of humour.
It could also be that your sense of humor is malign, as tends to be the case nowadays. You can't aggravate the haters and then complain when they argue or retaliate, that is dishonest. If you really enjoy fanning the rage, then just go to Capcom Unity. You will find a veritable treasure trove of humor potential there (and a lot harsher hecklers as well.)
I am a bit offended though by being called delusional and having blind devotion to this game. I didn't mean to come of like that. I'm just being positive and hoping that the reboot is going to be great, and I base that positivity of what I have seen so far. But I guess I deserved that one because I said those who doesn't recognize this as DMC and Dante as Dante are in denial. We shouldn't get all personal at one another.
I agree with Vampi's assessment here; if the haters are in denial, then you and most of the supporters certainly can be categorized as delusional, because you are projecting mostly unfounded hopes onto a game we have little info about. If you don't want to be labeled, then you shouldn't label others. Makes sense.
The last couple of lines I wrote in my post was because I more or less expected you or one of the others to completely rip my post apart, because someone always seem to do so, in most cases you or moses. Also I'd like to mention I don't do any form of drugs, I don't smoke or drink either, so I am not on anything.
What can I say? I'm an analyzer by nature. Breaking things down and scrutinizing them is what I do, even when I do agree.

And she knows you don't do drugs. It was an idiomatic expression.
Faustinasa;277592 said:
Again, I feel the same way when people are telling me my theories about DMC are illogical and it being a prequel not a reboot so on and so forth.
If your theory is illogical, then it doesn't matter how you feel about it; it is still not a good theory. It isn't anything personal you know. And as for the reboot/prequel thing, Capcom is sending out mixed messages, so it isn't clear anymore.

BTW, check the theory thread for my pics.

moseslmpg

No one is using sticks and stones. It's more like pen and paper, i.e. discussion and dialectic. That's why I said not to take it personally; you aren't your theory, and illogicality of your theory doesn't reflect your intelligence or status necessarily.

Asmodaius

Vampi and moses seems to be the rulers of this forum.
You two come off as quite intimidating when you rip others' posts to pieces like that and telling people what is right and wrong. Maybe more as enforcers of the forum's unwritten laws than actual rulers though.

From where I sit, it seems like I can't post anything without either of you doing this. You could just as well be a couple of a'holes who enjoy ripping people's opinions apart and then laughing behind your screens as we try and defend ourselves one way or the other. I'm not saying that's the case and if it's not, then I didn't mean to offend you.

I think maybe the reason I come off as a delusional and blind devotee of this reboot is because I haven't been disappointed by Capcom in the past. I've more or less grown up with their games and they've always provided me with good entertainment. So yeah, I guess I have a certain faith or hope that they won't screw this up - and hoping they are learning from past mistakes like Resident Evil 5. But I'm staying positive until they prove to me that they've actually screwed it up. And if that's the case, sure I will get disappointed, but life goes on, y'know.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
moseslmpg;277608 said:
No one is using sticks and stones. It's more like pen and paper, i.e. discussion and dialectic. That's why I said not to take it personally; you aren't your theory, and illogicality of your theory doesn't reflect your intelligence or status necessarily.

My apologies that I don't think on your level of complexity. My apologies that I don't see things your way.

I speak my mind and opinions, which is why I don't care what some people may say...I may argue, but I don't take it down to where everything said to me is very personal. Every post is personal one way or another to everyone, but I don't go overboard when someone argues something I previously said.

moseslmpg

Asmodaius;277612 said:
Vampi and moses seems to be the rulers of this forum.
You two come off as quite intimidating when you rip others' posts to pieces like that and telling people what is right and wrong. Maybe more as enforcers of the forum's unwritten laws than actual rulers though.
I don't know where you get that idea, but this kind of speech is divisive, and I think you know it. We have never claimed or pretended to rule anything here and we don't tell people how to post or where to post, etc. Not any more than regular users anyway, with all the injunctions about going off topic.
From where I sit, it seems like I can't post anything without either of you doing this. You could just as well be a couple of a'holes who enjoy ripping people's opinions apart and then laughing behind your screens as we try and defend ourselves one way or the other. I'm not saying that's the case and if it's not, then I didn't mean to offend you.
Maybe you're just paranoid. I analyzed your post, and quit favorably at that. Maybe instead of labeling it "ripping apart" you should use something less inflammatory like "responding to your points," and then it won't bother you so much. I am going out of my way to be very nice here, so there is no malice on my part. And I can assure you that I gain no enjoyment from nullifying people's posts.
I think maybe the reason I come off as a delusional and blind devotee of this reboot is because I haven't been disappointed by Capcom in the past. I've more or less grown up with their games and they've always provided me with good entertainment. So yeah, I guess I have a certain faith or hope that they won't screw this up - and hoping they are learning from past mistakes like Resident Evil 5. But I'm staying positive until they prove to me that they've actually screwed it up. And if that's the case, sure I will get disappointed, but life goes on, y'know.
Remember that the "delusional" thing only applies if the other side are understood as in denial. As a person, you certainly aren't delusional and that is not the implication. I find it hard to believe that Capcom has never disappointed you before, which leads me to think tht either you haven't followed enough Capcom series or you just don't care about them as much as others do. If you are a casual, that's fine, but the bulk of the negative response is from hardcores who have been following DMC for the 9 years and have devoted a significant amount of time and effort to it.
Faustinasa;277615 said:
My apologies that I don't think on your level of complexity. My apologies that I don't see things your way.
...ok. I haven't accused you of doing any of that. Setting yourself up as some kind of martyr isn't really going to be productive. Self victimization also just doesn't look good on paper.

Asmodaius

That too was a joke. Sarcasm just doesn't work in a forum like this. XD
It is taken too seriously and literally.

Asmodaius;277632 said:

Everything here is taken serious and literally.
Vampi and Moses are so passionate about this debates in this forum.
We try to counter theirs opinion they counter ours, i think there is no point in debating like that. If we keep doing like this this debate will be infinite, apparently we can´t agree in anything related to DMC.
And sorry if i offended you by judging your post as a mistake Vampi, but i just tried to prove you can be wrong too.
Moses we can´t assume that "sun is a lemon pie":huh:, we know it isn´t so i think Vampi made a mistake as Asmodaius did :p.

Dante Must Die

The worst comparisons I've seen so far online is the people who are comparing it to Twilight as if they are at all similar. I could put a picture of a bear with sunglasses and a hat on next to Robert Pattinson's face and if i was really looking for it, I could find the similarities. I don't see any vampires in twilight who look like abused heroin junkie punk fans.

Also, on kotaku I quite hilariously got accused of being a troll simply because I'm a longtime fan of the game but am also looking forward to the reboot. It's ridiculous.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Dante Must Die;277773 said:
The worst comparisons I've seen so far online is the people who are comparing it to Twilight as if they are at all similar. I could put a picture of a bear with sunglasses and a hat on next to Robert Pattinson's face and if i was really looking for it, I could find the similarities. I don't see any vampires in twilight who look like abused heroin junkie punk fans.

Also, on kotaku I quite hilariously got accused of being a troll simply because I'm a longtime fan of the game but am also looking forward to the reboot. It's ridiculous.

That's just how it is. There quite a few people who take this seriously because its been apart of their life for the 9 or so years its been out. Some take it SO seriously, they were able to get a career out of it. There's nothing wrong with that though, I applaud to them that they got a career they can enjoy. Video games are highly influencal, mainly because of the characters created in that world or what ever else in that game that caught the gamers attention. :)

But for one thing, I do agree that being called a troll for stating your opinions on the reboot was uncalled and unessecary. :(

Dante Must Die

I don't mind fans who take it seriously or who are really mad about the reboot, don't get me wrong. I totally sympathaise and understand the point of view in which hardcore DMC fans are coming from, mainly because I consider myself a hardcore DMC fan as well. It's just when people start reaching and making silly comparisons or assumptions based on one trailer.

I actually wrote a blog post on why I think the DMC reboot was needed, but I won't plug it here. If anyone is interested in my POV they can PM me.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Well, this is how I kinda see it as...Capcom could've continued with the original canon and explain about Nero but there still would've been so many holes to patch up, one game can't do it. But they decided they wanted to try a different route with DMC...start over with different ways of telling it, different style and what not.

Everyones opinion is based on what info is released right now and same with 1 trailer. DMC supporters can easily turn on a dime and say they hate with a buring passion that burns deep within their hearts.

moseslmpg

Asmodaius;277632 said:
I don't think you're very good at sarcasm, that's all. There's nothing in your reply to indicate anything beside total seriousness. Sarcasm would have been to say that you take tons of drugs when you wake up in the morning, when you in fact don't. You were the one who was casually discussing a "sarcastic" comment as if it were serious (Vampi's drug comment). In fact, for a while, I actually thought you really didn't understand figurative language. I'm still not so sure...
Subject 64432B;277770 said:
Moses we can´t assume that "sun is a lemon pie":huh:, we know it isn´t so i think Vampi made a mistake as Asmodaius did :p.
:huh: That was a hypothetical situation to illustrate a point, i.e. that you can assume the position of someone else to point out how that position is wrong. It is a technique used in logical debates. I'm starting to think you can't understand figurative language, actually...

The twilight comparison is because he looks more like a vampire, and an effeminate one at that. He isn't as flat faced as Pattinson, but the comparison certainly is valid in terms of appearance.

And the reboot wasn't needed. You may think it was warranted, but to say that it was necessary is just irresponsible.

moseslmpg

It is irresponsible because it is dishonest. It posits something as necessary that was not necessary or even called for at all.

If it was truly necessary, there should have been no other alternatives to rectifying or progressing the series, but that just isn't the case.

I am struck by the lack of calls for a reboot before the announcement was made as well, which would seem to me to discredit some of the support and justification for it as the byproduct of cognitive dissonance. If it was truly necessary, others would have noticed this long before the fact and they would have communicated it in a more conspicuous manner.

So I see it as basically just retroactive justification or expression hindsight bias rather than an actual valid argument.

Acedia

Dante Never Dies
moseslmpg;277601 said:
I thought you were a woman...Your posting style tends to be pretty feminine, and your username is feminine as well, if I'm not mistaken.

The word itself is not feminine, and has a meaning.
And I forgot that there was a "posting" style for females...
No, I do correct you, I am a male.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom