• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Lack Of Maturity Regarding Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante Must Die

That is not irresponsible. I think admist the thesauruses you have swallowed to project the condescending identity you choose to post with you are getting word definitions mixed up.

Calling it 'irresponsible' also unneccesarily degrades the valid opinion that it is, because..it is a valid opinion to have and something I've personally thought long and hard on since I first played Devil May Cry 4 years ago.

Amidst the ridiculous backtracking and uninspired level design it was clear that the series was slowly running out of ideas. A re-boot isn't the only path it could of taken obviously, but neccessary is how i'd deem it because in my opinion if the series had continued in the same stride as it was going then the fifth game would of been the first nail in its coffin.

Meg

^ To be honest I think DMC4 was the first nail in the coffin. Or at least gathered the nails and hammer. :lol:

Dominus

Dante Must Die;277930 said:
That is not irresponsible. I think admist the thesauruses you have swallowed to project the condescending identity you choose to post with you are getting word definitions mixed up.

Calling it 'irresponsible' also unneccesarily degrades the valid opinion that it is, because..it is a valid opinion to have and something I've personally thought long and hard on since I first played Devil May Cry 4 years ago.

Amidst the ridiculous backtracking and uninspired level design it was clear that the series was slowly running out of ideas. A re-boot isn't the only path it could of taken obviously, but neccessary is how i'd deem it because in my opinion if the series had continued in the same stride as it was going then the fifth game would of been the first nail in its coffin.

To be honest words like condescending and irresponsible are hardly thesaurus worthy, and people being offended by someone using such words is pretty ridiculous. Besides you shouldn't care if someone is being condescending in his or her rant because you should only be judging what they say, not how they say it. Anyway...

Devil May Cry 4 was definetely mediocre but I think it represented Capcom's lazy approach to updating the DMC franchise. It felt like Nero was made just so they could salvage the same DMC3 gameplay elements without making it blatantly obvious. For this reason Nero's story feels bland and uninspiring. Some random cult that worships Sparda in a remote area, sounds boring. Playing a bunch of missions around a boring Fortress for the order of the sword.. OH BOY! Oh a random jungle (though I liked this section), this took a while to make so lets make the player play through it several times. It seems like they were on a tight budget and time schedule, so no room for Innovation... And One more complaint about DMC4, why the HELL wouldn't they allow you to use the yamato with Nero as a primary weapon (to switch to)? WTH!

moseslmpg

Dante Must Die;277930 said:
It is irresponsible to present a misinformed opinion as a necessary fact in an argument. I will admit that I can't write as well as I used to, but my usage of the word is definitely valid here. (What is with the "condescending?" I wish my detractors would pick up a thesaurus, amirite people? :p But seriously...)
This is my mistake. I had glossed your post and assumed that you had an argument for why the reboot was needed. If you are simply offering your opinion, I will note my disagreement with your opinion and position that it is born of lack of creative insight rather than any actual necessity. The opinion is valid, as one may say all opinions are, but until I see your justification for it, I don't think it is correct.
You are assuming too much. If the reboot was one of many options, it was not necessary. I think what you need to do is qualify your "opinion" by stating that it only applies if the series was going to continue down the path of DMC4. Of course, that isn't a realistic expectation, and one could just as well say that any series needs a reboot by scrutinizing and extrapolating only its most offensive aspects, but I suppose you are allowed to have your opinion. Given the incongruous nature of the DMC series on the whole and the fact that all 4 games basically constitute 4 separate species of the genus DMC, it seems that this line of reasoning would be irrelevant for anything beyond the actual game it refers to, making it nothing more than a repudiation of that single game. This qualification renders your opinion invalid insofar that it is an actual argument for the reboot, but of course it remains valid in itself, as an opinion.

If you'd like to present the full list of reasons why you thought the reboot was necessary, I can offer a fuller analysis of your position. Right now I am only going off your description of your position, so I am at a disadvantage.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
I don't deem the reboot nessecary...because there was plot holes galore through out the original canon, but I find it odd. Everyone is saying Capcom is lazy so they're handing off their DMC project to someone else to start/complete. But in an interview Capcom was behind the drastic changes to Dante's apperance in the reboot.

What is Capcom really doing? Are they handing off to someone to make the franchise better, or are they pulling the strings behind the curtains? Or is is possibly going in both directions?

What I'm tryin to kinda say is...it almost seems like it's set up. If Ninja Theory pulls it off...Capcom will become popular again with DMC and they may take over the project again...if it bombs well, they lose a lot of DMC franchise. It's a big gamble. o_O

At least, that's how I see it as. What do you think?

Ember To Inferno

Eternal Rest
The game just hit 10 years old, so I don't know how to feel about the reboot. Either way, the original post in this topic/TC is absolutely right, you never know, this could be a good game.

Dante Must Die

Dominus;277940 said:
To be honest words like condescending and irresponsible are hardly thesaurus worthy, and people being offended by someone using such words is pretty ridiculous. Besides you shouldn't care if someone is being condescending in his or her rant because you should only be judging what they say, not how they say it. Anyway...

I wasn't offended, if anything I was quick to judge his character from that one post. It was slightly over defensive of me though I'll admit and was probably quite childish of me. I apologise. To clarify, even though it is irrelevant now, he didn't use condescending..I did, and it wasn't the word irresponsible that had me pointing out his extravagant use of vocabulary in a snide way either. But that is neither here nor there.

moseslmpg said:
You are assuming too much. If the reboot was one of many options, it was not necessary. I think what you need to do is qualify your "opinion" by stating that it only applies if the series was going to continue down the path of DMC4. Of course, that isn't a realistic expectation, and one could just as well say that any series needs a reboot by scrutinizing and extrapolating only its most offensive aspects, but I suppose you are allowed to have your opinion. Given the incongruous nature of the DMC series on the whole and the fact that all 4 games basically constitute 4 separate species of the genus DMC, it seems that this line of reasoning would be irrelevant for anything beyond the actual game it refers to, making it nothing more than a repudiation of that single game. This qualification renders your opinion invalid insofar that it is an actual argument for the reboot, but of course it remains valid in itself, as an opinion.

If you'd like to present the full list of reasons why you thought the reboot was necessary, I can offer a fuller analysis of your position. Right now I am only going off your description of your position, so I am at a disadvantage.

You think I am assuming too much, I believe I am making an educated and informed guess on the direction the series was going from DMC4. Yes, it is true that the series has picked its self up from a bad game before, worse than DMC4 even. However it wasn't that DMC4 was neccessairly a bad game, moreover it was just a case of it being 'more of the same' in a tedious way and was just the clearest representation yet that it was a series that was running out of ideas.

meg127 said:
To be honest I think DMC4 was the first nail in the coffin. Or at least gathered the nails and hammer.

That is a good point really and probably true.

Chrysander

DMC4 was a big step backwards after DMC3, which remains one of the finest action games, in my opinion anyway. DMC4 was above average, and high quality in many areas, but just didn't have the replayability, depth or challenge of DMC3, as well as less Dante time, and a story that was pointless.

moseslmpg

Dante Must Die;278023 said:
You think I am assuming too much, I believe I am making an educated and informed guess on the direction the series was going from DMC4. Yes, it is true that the series has picked its self up from a bad game before, worse than DMC4 even. However it wasn't that DMC4 was neccessairly a bad game, moreover it was just a case of it being 'more of the same' in a tedious way and was just the clearest representation yet that it was a series that was running out of ideas.
You are assuming too much. You're educated guess is tangential to the actual series as far as I can tell. And I fail to see how DMC4 was more of the same when it had a totally new character with new gameplay mechanics and a new setting with a new story. I think you may be trying to express some recognition of the stagnation of the series in terms of story and character development, in which case, a reboot certainly won't fix anything.

But if you would, list some of the tedious elements that you believe a reboot would or should get rid of. I'm curious as to just what you think necessitates a total reboot of the series, rather than a sideseries or further story development. I'm still not convinced by your description of your reasoning.

Edit: I've never thought of myself as extravagant, but maybe I should start...If it makes you feel any better, I give preference to brevity over extravagance in actual speech.

Meg

^ Well. While its true DMC4 had a lot of new things the overall 'feel' of the game wasn't any different. I don't know if that's what DMD is getting at, but that's how I felt while playing it.

moseslmpg

So is the complaint that it was too much of the same or not enough of the same? Would it have been better if it didn't include Dante at all, or if it had included Dante and Vergil and furthered the story?

To me, DMC4 didn't feel similar to DMC3. It felt alien and that's why I didn't like it. Also because they didn't explain anything. Hmm, these are eerily similar to the reasons I have for not liking DINO so far...

Meg

^ Nero was a good addition, but he came in weird. I would have liked if 4 had the same story, but if the number of missions for Nero and Dante switched. The fact that Dante's style system came back without changing much bugged me. While Nero offered a different playing style from 3 overall the game felt like a watered down version of 3 to me, but that's just me.

I think that's the reason a lot of people don't like DINO so far.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I don't think the DMC4 novel help matters either.

How many nails does it need before the coffin is shut tight?

Meg

Vergil'sB*tch;278126 said:
I don't think the DMC4 novel help matters either.

How many nails does it need before the coffin is shut tight?

Depends on the size of the nails.

Dante Must Die

meg127;278104 said:
^ Well. While its true DMC4 had a lot of new things the overall 'feel' of the game wasn't any different. I don't know if that's what DMD is getting at, but that's how I felt while playing it.

Generally yeah. The same feel, vibe and atmosphere was beginning to wear thin. This new game 'feels' totally different, as well as different aesthetics. It has definitely re-vitalised me as a fan after the indifference I felt after 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom