• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Jackpot Overused?

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
It just rubbed me the wrong way how it was used at inconsequential moments for the sake of fanservice. One of my favourite things was earning the satisfying "jackpot" indicating you beat the big bads ass to hell and back. Even DMC 2 had its own kinda silent jackpot as the despair embodied stared down the barrell of dantes gun. But in this game its said as dante finds urizen and in the very last cutscene way after youve beaten the boss and the impact has gone away. I felt like it shouldve been said as you defeated urizen or vergil.(not that i didnt love the "F**K YOU!" from nero) did anyone else have this feeling or was it just me?

Goldsickle

"F*** YOU!" is the new "Jackpot".

In DMC6, Nero will punch the final boss with his Devil F***er (an enhanced Devil Bringer) and uses the same infernal hand to extend a demonic middle finger, while yelling "**** YOU" towards the camera.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I hear you can actually hear it three times in the game, Dante saying it twice in two different cutscenes and a third if you finish Vergil off with a Buster.

Honestly? I don't really care for it. It was cool in the first game as it symbolises Dante's quest for vengeance coming full circle, but them trying to turn it into a running catchphrase just leaves me cold.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I think it works in the first two games since it fits Dantes personality in 1 as a cool protagonist and in 2 he doesn't even have to say it and is one of the few times his silent cool guy additude works. 3 pushes it but its a cute nod to the fans since its technically been been 3 games since we've heard it and gives the the one-liner some history and weight for better or worse. Now it's just a staple of Dantes "character", a checklist of things Dante has to do to be Dante.

berto

I Saw the Devil
In the original Dante said it twice. First time wasn't anything odd or of note but the second time was where all the subsequent times became a thing. It's not that he uses it too much but that he has to emphasise it so often. It loses all meaning if you use it like that all the time, if you say it with such gusto, like a catch phrase. Imagine him saying devils never cry that much, it'd lose all meaning and importance.

As for the whole thing where he says it with Vergil at the end of 5 I didn't like it because I saw no reason for Vergil saying anything negative or to not wanting to hear it. It's not Dante's phrase, it's their phrase. Vergil not being in on it feels like he's become the set up for Dante, which was a huge criticism I had for DmC, so for DMC to be copying that behaviour doesn't sit well with me. It was very much a 'what? Why not?' moment and doing it at the end of the game is not and ideal time to have one of those.

To answer the question more directly, I don't think it's overused, I think it's over dramatized when it is used and pointlessly so. If they included it in more conversations and didn't overstated I'd be less burned out by it.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
No. And with DMC5 out, all there's left is Bayonetta 3, and then I'll hit the jackpot sooner than later.

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
The jackpot line is an iconic line in dmc, its like the bond James bond line in 007 movies... I like that it happear in every dmc in some way, I don't think it's overused, dante only say the phrase when he defeat the big Bad of the game and it did this in every and dmc 5 jackpot is a node to dmc 3, I personally love it

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
No in DMC3, Dante says to Vergil "Remember what we use to say" It's something they use to say as kids. Dante says it to Urizen when he first sees him because V told him that Urizen was Vergil and he was trying to jog his memory and also confirm for himself that Urizen was Vergil

Also I agree with Foxy, DMC5's final scene was awesome.

Plus, if it makes you feel better, Dante doesn't say it at all in DMC2 or DMC4 (Nero MAY say it, but only if you finish Sanctus off with a buster.)

Hungry Alien

I think Nero shouldn't use it in the future. It's Dante (and Vergil maybe ?) punchline. Nero should have his own line, the F*** you may become his line in the future.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Nero should have his own line, the F*** you may become his line in the future.
I have never understood why people cheered so much for that line. It wasn't good in DmC and it was just because it was in DMC5 doesn't make it good, now. It was juvenile then and was just as juvenile when Nero did it. Specially when Nero did it. When he put his finger up in the air in the most adolescent and petulant way I have ever seen he didn't come off as bad ass, he became a whiny teenager and he is far too old for it to be justified behaviour.

Bottom line, no one's signature phrase should be 'F*** You.' It's what a 13 year old thinks is a cool line for their edgy character to have and it is just the worst.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I have never understood why people cheered so much for that line.

It's quite simple. Cause Nero, unlike DmC Dante, earned it through context. In 5, it was a legit expression of pent up anger and frustration towards a parent that never gave a damn about him. In DmC (and the DMC anime too if I remember correctly), that's where it hits the juvenile note cause the context in there is nothing of the sort. Context makes all the difference. Nero isn't new to swearing, he did it in DMC4 as well, and there too the context allowed the cursing to make some justified sense (in that case, he was venting against the man who kidnapped and used his beloved girl).
The **** you contest with the Succubus in the reboot was clearly done for the sake of trying to make Dante sound like a badass, but the context is devoid of any semblance of emotional subtext whatsoever cause the Succubus is a nobody to Dante, just a lowly boss that has no relevance to Dante at a personal level, unlike Sanctus in 4 and Vergil in 5.

The **** you line would get the same juvenile connotation for Nero if it were to become his catchphrase as the guy above proposed, stripped from a sensible context. There's nothing wrong with using swearing with a character to make it more "rough", however the difference between it ending up sounding like a childish idiot and actually legit all lies in the context in which the swearing is used. Context can either justify the cussing, or it can warrant an eye roll. Nero hasn't exactly been the most loved DMC character so for him, it could have gone the latter way fairly easily. Yet the cursing generally didn't bother anyone and worked for him in 4 and 5 for this very reason.

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Plz no "F*** you" catchphrase for Nero. I nearly died from cringe when he said it in 5 and it he said it regularly it would kill the character for me. :grumpy:

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I have never understood why people cheered so much for that line. It wasn't good in DmC and it was just because it was in DMC5 doesn't make it good, now. It was juvenile then and was just as juvenile when Nero did it. Specially when Nero did it. When he put his finger up in the air in the most adolescent and petulant way I have ever seen he didn't come off as bad ass, he became a whiny teenager and he is far too old for it to be justified behaviour.

Bottom line, no one's signature phrase should be 'F*** You.' It's what a 13 year old thinks is a cool line for their edgy character to have and it is just the worst.
It's a rebellious attitude. Me? I have a potty mouth. I use "****" as part of my language, even at 37 years old.

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
It's a rebellious attitude. Me? I have a potty mouth. I use "****" as part of my language, even at 37 years old.
Yeah I always say **** and some other bad word every time, Even if I'm not a boy anymore... People probably think that the **** world is reserved to young people

Hungry Alien

Now that I read again my message, I realize how stupid it would be to have Nero yell the F word everytime :cautious:

Oh well, Nero is way too serious to have a catchline anyway. But for Dante, the Jackpot fit him quite well. But it need context to have a positive effect, and with DMC 3 jackpot scene, it will be hard to have something as strong as this.

Top Bottom