• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is there hope for a Devil May Cry 5?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
And you don't think that P* can deliver up to their standards? They've more than delivered with Bayonetta 1 & 2 and no one knows action like they do.

Not questioning Bayonetta's quality. But I feel that combat is simpler and way less technical than DMC. It's ok for Bayonetta but I don't want it for Devil May Cry.

There's also what they did with MGR which is the last kind of combat I'd want for DMC.

Khundy

Berserker
I think they would add more too it and also keep the standard Lock on directional input, can't say for sure. But I would give this a shot. I do like Bayonetta, and there quirky story telling would fit right in. Also they can give DMC a co-op mode! woo....now i need friends. lol but all is just speculation. lets not get our hopes up/down.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Not questioning Bayonetta's quality. But I feel that combat is simpler and way less technical than DMC. It's ok for Bayonetta but I don't want it for Devil May Cry.
Bayonetta was never meant to be a DMC copy so when people played it like one they missed the point and, for lack of a better term, they play it wrong, but Bayonetta has significant debts and complexity. As I mentioned a few times there is nothing in DMC that you can't do in Bayonetta yet there are more than a few things that you can do in Bayonetta that you can't in any DMC game. Add to that that they've probably been thinking up ways to make the game better since DMC1.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I dunno how they would approach DMC's combat. But I just don't trust them there.

Everything else, I can very well see that they would be capable to do an awesome job, level design, enemy design, coop, etc. However the core of the game and what keeps me playing it after all these years is its deep and seemingly neverending creative combo creating combat and they tend to go to a simpler and less technical route compared to DMC in their games. So my doubt and fear would remain, can't blame me for that.

Obviously, I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong and it's not like I'm saying they CAN'T do it. Just that given how they designed their previous games' combat I don't have trust. You know what I'm saying?

But it's extremely unlikely to happen anyway. Maybe more probable a crossover.

Last edited:

Judge

Well I feel, and so do a lot of the critics that Platinum is the best in the buisness. Even Ninja Theory and Capcom combined couldn't match Bayonetta entirely.

If anyone can do DMC's gameplay its Platinum Games. Are they capable of doing a good story? Probably not.

Frazz

General gamer
I dunno how they would approach DMC's combat. But I just don't trust them there.

Everything else, I can very well see that they would be capable to do an awesome job, level design, enemy design, coop, etc. However the core of the game and what keeps me playing it after all these years is its deep and seemingly neverending creative combo creating combat and they tend to go to a simpler and less technical route compared to DMC in their games. So my doubt and fear would remain, can't blame me for that.

Obviously, I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong and it's not like I'm saying they CAN'T do it. Just that given how they designed their previous games' combat I don't have trust. You know what I'm saying?

This. 100% this! Even though I now love MGR I must admit that I despised it beyond belief when I first bought it as every DMC fan said that it was what DMC should be. The combat is almost nothing like DMC as you don't need much finesse to be good at the game and unlike DMC you aren't continuously improving... Once you know how to party effectively you are as good as you can get at the game. I love Platinum but if they do a DMC game I need to be sure the gameplay isn't Bayonetta or MGR but is DMC. I love DMC and I like MGR but I do not want them to mix in any way!

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium

This. 100% this! Even though I now love MGR I must admit that I despised it beyond belief when I first bought it as every DMC fan said that it was what DMC should be. The combat is almost nothing like DMC as you don't need much finesse to be good at the game and unlike DMC you aren't continuously improving... Once you know how to party effectively you are as good as you can get at the game. I love Platinum but if they do a DMC game I need to be sure the gameplay isn't Bayonetta or MGR but is DMC. I love DMC and I like MGR but I do not want them to mix in any way!
i agree i love platinum games but DMC has to be DMC
i do trust platinum would do a great job
but i honestly couldn't guess what there approach to the series would be like

Khundy

Berserker
Bay and MGR where worked on by Platinum and both have different game play and button layouts. So I'm in high hopes that they are more than capable of keeping the DMC3-4 game play style.

thats it for me till we get more news.

berto

I Saw the Devil
If this is true, which I still doubt, I would only say no cross-overs. I don't like the idea of the games been made to take place in the same worlds. They are way too different in too many aspects to work.

Last edited:

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
well if capcom refuses to continue for some obvious reasons i'm all for them leaving it to platinum, least i know platinum is willing to be risky with their games, and they are still pretty much idealists today.. and MGR was imo cool looking, so yes, i'm all for it.. and i hope it's true and i want to believe it..

my question remains, will it be a reboot or continuing where capcom left off, i just hope it won't be some exclusive crap

Neigh Bird

SSStrange!!!
Bayonetta's and MGR's combat is simpler? :/

No. Uh, no I really don't think so. :|

They are, not that it makes them a worse game. Bayonetta is the closest in the genre to match DMC's level of depth and complexity, but it's still lagging behind.

Regarding Platinum Games, I'm pretty optimistic about it. I mean, okay, non of their titles have been DMC material, but that doesn't mean DMC will turn out like the others if they got their hands on the IP. Ninja Theory didn't have anything remotely close to DMC when they took over, unlike Platinum Games and their Bayonetta series, and yet DmC's combat turned out surprisingly well.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
You crazy.

I'm not. For starters, MGR is not even a stylish action game. "Just" action.
It's got way less cancel methods than DMC, less weapons, predetermined combos instead of a free flow system, only two types of attacks, light and heavy, as opposed to Styles, severely crippled aerial combat mechanics (which partially derives from lack of appropriate cancels).

Combine all that and there's no way MGR got a deeper and more extensive combat system. There's some people who even argue it's crappy, period. I don't agree I think it's pretty good and works with MGR, but there's no way in hell, heaven or Earth it can rival, let alone surpass, DMC3 and 4. Even DmC, possibly. It's common knowledge among action fans actually, I'm surprised I had to even explain.

And calling someone crazy ain't very gentlemanly is it? :p

Last edited:

The Good Gentleman

S'all Part of a Miracle Masterpiece

What part of that is not stylish? MGR stresses precision over timing like DMC games, but it's still quite doable when it comes to crazy combo vids.

And for the record, I am gentlemanly in all things. Even at being an uncivil mook. ;)

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
What part of that is not stylish?

I was referring to the genre it belongs to. Not saying MGR's stuff looks ugly, but its visual flare is way more... "contained" compared to DMC or Bayonetta, which are stylish action games by definition.

Which is okay, MGR still carries "Metal Gear" on the cover, by Platinum's own admission they wanted to make the game feel like a Metal Gear game so they couldn't go totally nuts with the visual flare like in Bayonetta or like Capcom in DMC.

Neigh Bird

SSStrange!!!

What part of that is not stylish? MGR stresses precision over timing like DMC games, but it's still quite doable when it comes to crazy combo vids.

With some fiddling, you can achieve pseudo crazy combos in many other hack'n slashers as well. The video is a perfect example of the differences between DMC and others of the same genre (Bayonetta included). Attacks just aren't coded for precise combos and juggling, which is why the guy tries to take advantage of large hitbox and often fiddles with the camera and character placement. The odd pacing of the attacks and variety of weapons, lack of cancels, and mid QTEs are also a problem and you notice it A LOT in combo videos of MGR and Bayonetta. It's kind of disheartening watching players try to work around it. There're just too much unnecessary breathing room which, while visually pleasing sometimes, breaks the combat flow for the players.

When you take DMCs, DmC even, you can see the combat was made to take advantage of meta gameplay.

[EDIT] the video doesn't do DmC justice

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
[EDIT] the video doesn't do DmC justice
Nothing does.

And now I would be freaking happy if P* games done DMC5. P* coming from capcom and some of them worked on DMC1. Im pretty sure that if they collaborate with Capcom it will be best HnS in past 10 years. But for it to happen Capcom need to swallow their pride and P* need to surrender their ideals. Which i dunno if possible.

Top Bottom