• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I don't see how Donte's a douchebag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may like the version of DMC3 more,and that might be because you actually see him going on the wrong path and choosing his own decisive destiny of death,because he chose to die,he knew he will die killed by Mundus,he basically commited suicide.
I think this is more interesting than Vergil being corrupted at a young age after their mother was killed.You wouldn't see any conflict with Dante after all...because it wouldn't be the true Vergil.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Actually the story of DMC1 Vergil was "Mundus captured and brainwashed him since 8" as hinted at by the novel and as given in information provided by Kamiya. DMC3 changed that entire aspect, so yes, it was a reboot.
That's right, and what DMC3 gave was Vergil being enslaved by Mundus after falling into hell and fighting him- then losing.

Is that retcon, or reboot? Interchangable?

Either way, you're right. The events of DMC3 cancel out DMC1 due to DMC3 coming after DMC1, thus being the new intended cannon.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Exactly. When you do a massive restart of the canon like that, even as similar as it is to the original established story, it's a reboot. Since DMC1's story was that Dante had not seen Vergil in 20 so years, while in DMC3, they seeme dto have been running into each other now and then...DMC3 was in fact a reboot of the continuity.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Exactly. When you do a massive restart of the canon like that, even as similar as it is to the original established story, it's a reboot. Since DMC1's story was that Dante had not seen Vergil in 20 so years, while in DMC3, they seeme dto have been running into each other now and then...DMC3 was in fact a reboot of the continuity.
Was it that Dante thought Vergil was dead in DMC1? I think he mentions something about his brother being lost to darkness.

But like you say, in DMC3 one of them mentions that it had been a year since they had last seen each other. Then there's the DMC3 manga which covers that meeting. So it's nothing like what was established in DMC1.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Yeah. the expanded materials for DMC1 reference vergil being gone since they were 8, and even after Nero Angelo took his helmet off, Dante still did not recognize him until that amulet fell. That suggested it had been a LONG while since he'd seen his brother and knew who it was. Like, long enough the face wouldn't look the same, implicating they were children at the time.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
I don't see how Nero had the same attitude as Dante,since he fights with him , I think he finds Dante's behaviour to be annoying from his point of view,if you would have the same attitude as someone,would you try to fight him or try to be friends with him?

Talking one liners to the point they sound like comic book Spiderman lines. That's Dante.
Having white hair, gun, and sword along with a long coat. Dante
I'm sorry if you don't see it like I do, but Nero is too much like Dante and not enough like his own character.
Cosplayer.Really? I said why he looks like him.
Yes, but I just think that's lazy on Capcom's part. couldn't create his own story so just take Dante's background.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Was it that Dante thought Vergil was dead in DMC1? I think he mentions something about his brother being lost to darkness.

But like you say, in DMC3 one of them mentions that it had been a year since they had last seen each other. Then there's the DMC3 manga which covers that meeting. So it's nothing like what was established in DMC1.
They totally just screwed up the timeline. Dante is actually confirmed to be 28 in DMC 1. In 3 he was 19. Just doing the math here, that's only a 9 year difference and that just totally throws out the window the 20 years I was told.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Yes, but I just think that's lazy on Capcom's part. couldn't create his own story so just take Dante's background.
Nero doesn't really have a background. All we knew about him when the game was first released was that he somehow had a demon arm as the result of a demon attack in the woods (not mentioned int he game). And Dante says something about Yamato sword needing to be kept in the family, implying Nero is part of the Sparda family somehow.

There was a lot of specualtion saying Nero was Vergil's son. Recently there is a Japanese artbook saying this is true...well the kanji used is 'ko' which is like child. So it could be blood related, but some have said like a clone child.

Then there is that book which said Nero was the result of Vergil being with a prostitute. But that does ot fit with Vergil's character. Why would he be with a prostitute when Vergil in the manga says women are makeup wearing whores? Makes no sense. If he wanted a child, he would choose a women of better background than that.

Also, why would he abandon the child? Knowing Vergil, Nero would be raised as his legacy and not abandoned.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Nero doesn't really have a background. All we knew about him when the game was first released was that he somehow had a demon arm as the result of a demon attack in the woods (not mentioned int he game). And Dante says something about Yamato sword needing to be kept in the family, implying Nero is part of the Sparda family somehow.

There was a lot of specualtion saying Nero was Vergil's son. Recently there is a Japanese artbook saying this is true...well the kanji used is 'ko' which is like child. So it could be blood related, but some have said like a clone child.

Then there is that book which said Nero was the result of Vergil being with a prostitute. But that does ot fit with Vergil's character. Why would he be with a prostitute when Vergil in the manga says women are makeup wearing whores? Makes no sense. If he wanted a child, he would choose a women of better background than that.

Also, why would he abandon the child? Knowing Vergil, Nero would be raised as his legacy and not abandoned.
Nero is the walking plot hole. And he isn't Vergil's son. Vergil had a hard on for swords, not women. He's forever alone.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Nero is the walking plot hole. And he isn't Vergil's son. Vergil had a hard on for swords, not women. He's forever alone.
He is according to that Japanese book that was recently released. I don't want to believe it, but it is true, even if it does contradict everything we know about Vergil's character. >_<

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
He is according to that Japanese book that was recently released. I don't want to believe it, but it is true, even if it does contradict everything we know about Vergil's character. >_<
NOt only that, the same artbook, which was released after years of fandom "surity" that Nero was Vergil's son, in fact says that Nero is *A* child of Vergil. that implies more than one. When in the short span of time he MIGHT have had, being Vergil was 10 when Nero would have been born, did he FIND TIME for having a kid, let alone more than one?
...or do we just now assume the mother was in fact Nevan having reverted herself back rfom being a demon guitar? I mean, Vergil wouldn't have mated with humans considering his views on human emotions and frailties...

Either way, Nero became a walking plot hole, because none of the writers and production staff could communicate and get their contunity in order...even with themselves, because Morihashi Bingo was a scenario writer for both DMC3 and 4, and STILL screwed up his own timelines and characterizations.

XDmC12345X

#BringBackTheStupidFiles
i love him, he is alot more serious which reminds me of dmc1 dante which is my favorite but still cracks jokes. maybe cut down on swearing cause you know its not all that neccesary but from time to time let him day **** when he gets stabbed in the chest(id do that)

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
NOt only that, the same artbook, which was released after years of fandom "surity" that Nero was Vergil's son, in fact says that Nero is *A* child of Vergil. that implies more than one. When in the short span of time he MIGHT have had, being Vergil was 10 when Nero would have been born, did he FIND TIME for having a kid, let alone more than one?
Great...more weirdness added. So there could be more than one...great. This is really making no sese now. It's out of character for him and impossible in the time frame given for the games.
...or do we just now assume the mother was in fact Nevan having reverted herself back rfom being a demon guitar? I mean, Vergil wouldn't have mated with humans considering his views on human emotions and frailties...
Heck, the mother might as well be Lilith for all the sense this is making>_<
Either way, Nero became a walking plot hole, because none of the writers and production staff could communicate and get their contunity in order...even with themselves, because Morihashi Bingo was a scenario writer for both DMC3 and 4, and STILL screwed up his own timelines and characterizations.
He really is walking mystery...if only they had paid more attention when writing the character and the game.

...That shoudl read

"NT Dante: English view of American Douchebag
Classic Dante: Japanese Anime view of American Douchebag"
Pretty much. Especially DMC4. That was definately the Japanese image of an American. The guy at pizza, drank Jack Daniels in the anime, ate strawberry sudae and dressed like he'd raided a cowboy clothes store.
Then in DMC3 he rode a motorbike and ran around in a load of leather.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom