• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I don't see how Donte's a douchebag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
First of all, I do apologize if using the name "Donte" is bad. It's just for differentiation purposes. Though I don't like Donte, I don't use this name to offend.

Now, I notice a lot of people calling Donte a douchebag or a complete asshole in a lot of ways, but honestly...I don't see it. I really don't see a douchebag character in him. Yeah he cusses a lot and is a bit rough around the edges in society, but I don't see any form of douchebag or asshole in him. The only instances that I see that are few. Like when he knocked the drink out of the fat guys hand, or being rude to Kat in saying "I didn't ask for your help" but that's it. Maybe punching the bouncer was another one, but even so, that was in order for him to save a girl being held captive by a demon god and the only way to save her is to get into his whore's club to kidnap the whore.

But then again, In my eyes a douchebag or an asshole automatically makes me think of this troll.
tumblr_mirbelh3Ea1rhyx92o1_500.gif

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Just the way he acts in general especially to enemies I think the only people he was generally nice to was Kat and Vergil and in the end he tried to kill Vergil but Kat had to stop him. The worst for me was when he was talking to Mundas after Vergil killed Liliath and the baby that was just horrible and Izaya is pretty funny lol he also reminds me of this lovable sadistic bastard
hiroomi_souma_by_gryalphk-d2z0g67.png

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Mmmh, I think we can make a little distinction here.
He acts like a douchebag to people he doesn't know: those examples you gave are just right for this purpose, and you can add the "Do I look like I give a sh*t?" line he says to Vergil when he asks him to join the Order's cause. But once he gets to know people, and grows an affection to them, then he doesn't act like one.

(And for the "Donte" thing: you are on the DmC section of the forum, so I don't think you should worry about being misunderstood that you are speaking of DmC Dante. On the other hand, you should worry about being misunderstood as a hater or such...:p So if you're posting in this section, you can use simply "Dante", or, if you are really worried, "DmC Dante". I'm not accusing you or anything, just giving you a friendly advice, no sarcasm intended.:))

Edit:
That part when he is talking to Mundus... I think in this case he HAS to act like one, it is on purpose because he has to get Mundus angry... Although he has had quite the exercise before....:troll:

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Just the way he acts in general especially to enemies I think the only people he was generally nice to was Kat and Vergil and in the end he tried to kill Vergil but Kat had to stop him. The worst for me was when he was talking to Mundas after Vergil killed Liliath and the baby that was just horrible and Izaya is pretty funny lol he also reminds me of this lovable sadistic *******
That part when he was taunting Mundus about the child was something Dante had to do. Mundus did not get angry when Dante said he did what he did to free mankind.
But when Dante changes his story and says that he did it for revenge of his mother and enjoyed watching Mundus' child die; that's when Mundus snaps. Dante didn't want to say that, but he had to so that Mundus would be angry enough to leave his office for Vergil to close the hell gate.

And when Vergil is stabbed by Dante, Dante is doing it under the influence of his demon side. It's like he's possessed. It's only because Kat is able to snap him out of it that Vergil escaped. And then when Dante realises what he has done, he seems visibly scared about what he's done and what he could become.

He's not a complete asshole, just a guy who was brought up rough, lived on the streets and did what he had to so that he could survive. So of course that would have an impact on how he would be as an adult.

The only ones he acts in a really hostile way to are demons, and that's because they raided his home, killed his mother, ruined his family and then chased him all his life.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
First, I understand "differential", but it's more respectful of the character to notate "Reboot Dante" or "NT!Dante" instead of "Donte", that name was coined for the sole purpose of insulting and belitting teh character.

Adressing Dante's speech to Mundus after Lilith's death, remeber he only did that because it was the only way to **** Mundy off enough to get him away from the Hellgate, and it was Vergil's idea to do anything possible. Dante had promised to protect Lilith and her baby so long as she cooperated, and VERGIL violated that trust. So Vergil's the actual douche there.

IncarnatedDemon

Actually the name Donte, Etnad and DINO was made soley to differentate that NT Dante is not THE Dante.

You dont see anyone calling Kat for Lody or Lino or something.
Lody = Lady
Lino = Lady in name only

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
That part when he was taunting Mundus about the child was something Dante had to do. Mundus did not get angry when Dante said he did what he did to free mankind.
But when Dante changes his story and says that he did it for revenge of his mother and enjoyed watching Mundus' child die; that's when Mundus snaps. Dante didn't want to say that, but he had to so that Mundus would be angry enough to leave his office for Vergil to close the hell gate.

And when Vergil is stabbed by Dante, Dante is doing it under the influence of his demon side. It's like he's possessed. It's only because Kat is able to snap him out of it that Vergil escaped. And then when Dante realises what he has done, he seems visibly scared about what he's done and what he could become.

He's not a complete asshole, just a guy who was brought up rough, lived on the streets and did what he had to so that he could survive. So of course that would have an impact on how he would be as an adult.

The only ones he acts in a really hostile way to are demons, and that's because they raided his home, killed his mother, ruined his family and then chased him all his life.
Maybe if it was rewritten but when Dante says that its overly cruel though to be fair alot of the writing in DmC isn't very good

LysseC

Actually the name Donte, Etnad and DINO was made soley to differentate that NT Dante is not THE Dante.

Lody = Lady
Lino = Lady in name only
Maybe it was born for that reason , but now it has acquired a dispregiative sense, that's why now it is unwise to use it. :)

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
side-note- I actually like the name DINO as is suprisingly clever for the haters.

I feel its hard to see Dante as a asshole when all you see him do is fight demons so if you just saw more of him on a regular day interacting with people in general you might have more data to make a case.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Maybe if it was rewritten but when Dante says that its overly cruel though to be fair alot of the writing in DmC isn't very good
You mean when he talks to Mundus that he was cruel? Mundus was a manipulative, cruel, sadistic demon who enslaved humans. He deserved to be talked to like that.
Besides, Dante was trying to sound as antagonsitic as possible. Vergil told him to annoy Mundus in any way he could, and specifically told him to taunt Mundus about his dead child.
He didn't want to do it, but he had to for the sake of Vergils' plan.

side-note- I actually like the name DINO as is suprisingly clever for the haters.

I feel its hard to see Dante as a asshole when all you see him do is fight demons so if you just saw more of him on a regular day interacting with people in general you might have more data to make a case.
There is also VINO for Vergil. I think it stands for 'Vergil in name only. Also makes me think of wine:p

LysseC

There is also VINO for Vergil. I think it stands for 'Vergil in name only. Also makes me think of wine:p
And for a reason. In Italian "vino" means exactly wine lol.:D

...And, thread semi derailed in a matter of minutes. Lol!!:p (I too am contributing, so I am the first to blame!!)

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
And for a reason. In Italian "vino" means exactly wine lol.:D
That's what I mean:lol: In vino veritas. I guess it's because people get so drunk that they must tell the truth. Now I have images of drunk Vergil.:lol:
...And, thread semi derailed in a matter of minutes. Lol!!:p (I too am contributing, so I am the first to blame!!)

So, back to Dante being (or not being) a douchebag asshole.

For me, he's just a product of a hard upbringing. He's had it tough, so he's hardened, looks after himself, trusts no one and acts in a hostlie way to strangers in case they hurt him.
But once he meets Kat, he begins to change. Sure, he still swears at demons, but if demons killed your family, you'd swear at them too. They ruined his life.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
well Dino is the first name of Dino Ferrari who i think was the name sake of the Ferrari sports car and Vino does mean wine which im sure vergil has done some wine tasting so its funny how these insults actually fit the characters.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda

Lody = Lady
Lino = Lady in name only

...no, Donte, Etnade, DINO, and all other such "alternatives" were in fact coined to insult the reimagined rendition of the Character by saying "he is not, and never will be any kind of iteration of Dante." To say "He is NOT THE Dante" is in fact meant to insult him. They were coined to be derogatory, it's really not worth trying to cover over that fact.

Cabbage Detective

Cabbages <3
...no, Donte, Etnade, DINO, and all other such "alternatives" were in fact coined to insult the reimagined rendition of the Character by saying "he is not, and never will be any kind of iteration of Dante." To say "He is NOT THE Dante" is in fact meant to insult him. They were coined to be derogatory, it's really not worth trying to cover over that fact.
what the hell is etnade?

IncarnatedDemon

Well it is true, he is not THE Dante.

He is not Dante that people have known from 2001 to 2010.

So how is that a insult? They are just stating a fact.

IncarnatedDemon

It not the word itself. It's more like the context in which it is used. Usually DINO is used as an insult or to troll people who like DmC Dante.
Speaking for myself i used to use these names to keep NT Dante away from Dante.

Because they aren't the same. NT Dante is a variation of Dante.
While Dante is just Dante or you could say THE Dante.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Speaking for myself i used to use these names to keep NT Dante away from Dante.

Because they aren't the same. NT Dante is a variation of Dante.
While Dante is just Dante or you could say THE Dante.
So, call him NT Dante like you have just now. It's easier than people misinterpreting what you are saying by using DINO.
I call the other Dante 'classic Dante'. Because that Dante is a classic.^_^

what the hell is etnade?
I also what to know this. What does it mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom