• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I don't see how Donte's a douchebag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IncarnatedDemon

I am calling him NTDante. I was just sharing my name history.

And id argue that you using the word classic is insulting.
It's like saying that original Dante is irelevant and has no place in the future.

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Speaking for myself i used to use these names to keep NT Dante away from Dante.

Because they aren't the same. NT Dante is a variation of Dante.
While Dante is just Dante or you could say THE Dante.
Loopy is right in this, Incarnated. I'm sure you have the best of intentions:) , but in this case the context makes it better for you not to use DINO or Donte, if you don't want to be misunderstood, because now it has become too common a way of haters.

Edit
Dante spelled backwards?
Yep, but with an extra E. ^^

Edit n.2 (posts coming too quickly.......)
Read this only now. NTDante is perfectly alright.:)

IncarnatedDemon

Loopy is right in this, Incarnated. I'm sure you have the best of intentions:) , but in this case the context makes it better for you not to use DINO or Donte, if you don't want to be misunderstood, because now it has become too common a way of haters.
I haven't called NTDante by DINO, Etnad or Donte.

I am just saying i used to call him by those names to express that NT Dante was not the Dante ive known from 2001 to 2010.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training

And id argue that you using the word classic is insulting.
It's like saying that original Dante is irelevant and has no place in the future.
And this is what I meant by causing confusion.
I call him classic not because he is outdated, but because he is a classic character who deserves respect.

Classic means high quality, almost like a classic piece of art.
Games are like art, and they do not become out of date, therefore, I think of Dante like classic art. He won't be forgotten, he's one of a kind and he's outstanding.

IncarnatedDemon

I call him classic not because he is outdated, but because he is a classic character who deserves respect.

Games are like art, and they do not become out of date, therefore, I think of Dante like classic art. He won't be forgotten, he's one of a kind and he's outstanding.
Yes but by calling him classic your basically giving off the vibe that he is something of the past and not of the future.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda

And this is exacly why I refer to Pre-Reboot DMC as DMC Classic. Doesn't mean we feel it's gone and outdated, but that it's the original form.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Yes but by calling him classic your basically giving off the vibe that he is something of the past and not of the future.
I've explained myself and that is why I use it. If you don't agree, then that's fine.

And this is exacly why I refer to Pre-Reboot DMC as DMC Classic. Doesn't mean we feel it's gone and outdated, but that it's the original form.
Exactly!^_^

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
people say he's a douchebag, to be honest i dont see why. if anything that would also make DMC dante a douche bag. he goes around insulting his enemies just as much. he is never nice to anyone, he only acts less mean and closed. one prime example is when he tries to kiss lady after beating her in a fight and about to go kill her father. not the most boy scout of moves. people see what DmC dante does and attribute it to being a douche but if DMC Dante does that then no one cares

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
people say he's a douchebag, to be honest i dont see why. if anything that would also make DMC dante a douche bag. he goes around insulting his enemies just as much. he is never nice to anyone, he only acts less mean and closed. one prime example is when he tries to kiss lady after beating her in a fight and about to go kill her father. not the most boy scout of moves. people see what DmC dante does and attribute it to being a douche but if DMC Dante does that then no one cares
Classic Dante just does it in a different way. He taunts the demons, but he's more cheesy about it, sometimes insutling too. Like that funny moment when he gets Agni and Rudra to be quiet by hitting their heads together:p

IncarnatedDemon

DmC fans also blow NT Dante's history of "rough childhood" out of proportions as well.

The amount of times i've read people commenting about how Dante was such a poor child with rough childhood with a sob story.

Meanwhile original Dante...he never had a rouigh childhood.

I am not saying they didnt have rough childhood. Both of them did.

But for NT Dante DmC fans sure put more weight on his story of bad past than original Dante. So it's not like this mentality of treating the two characters differently is one sided. Both characters are treated differently based on the groups of people judging them.

NT Dante defintly had a poor childhood. I never got to connect with it because it was never seen. "Dont tell me, SHOW ME!" is what i am thinking.
And i saw little of where he was totured etc.

But i'll say this, when both the original and the variation have had a rough childhood and the fans of teh variation blown the variations story out of proportion, then it makes his story just looked pretentious.

And as i said, people called NT Dante douchebag out of frustration.

788Masri

Classic Dante just does it in a different way. He taunts the demons, but he's more cheesy about it, sometimes insutling too. Like that funny moment when he gets Agni and Rudra to be quiet by hitting their heads together:p

im not calling him a douche, far from it, i;m just saying hes' done his fair share of insults and generally being a dick. but thats what makes him Dante and i wouldn't have it any other way. The only reason they're cheesy is because he doesn't swear, so it comes off more boy scout/ high and mighty.

788Masri

DmC fans also blow NT Dante's history of "rough childhood" out of proportions as well.The amount of times i've read people commenting about how Dante was such a poor child with rough childhood with a sob story.Meanwhile original Dante...he never had a rouigh childhood.I am not saying they didnt have rough childhood. Both of them didBut for NT Dante DmC fans sure put more weight on his story of bad past than original Dante. So it's not like this mentality of treating the two characters differently is one sided. Both characters are treated differently based on the groups of people judging them.NT Dante defintly had a poor childhood. I never got to connect with it because it was never seen. "Dont tell me, SHOW ME!" is what i am thinking.
And i saw little of where he was totured etc.But i'll say this, when both the original and the variation have had a rough childhood and the fans of teh variation blown the variations story out of proportion, then it makes his story just looked pretentious.And as i said, people called NT Dante douchebag out of frustration.

well tbh honest I didnt mind just being shown, tho i would have liked a chance to see some fallout. eg if one of the bosses was someone who had previously hurt Dante in the past personally. like that foster house master he was put with, if one mission was taking her out we could see a lot of interesting development. i really dont feel like playing as a younger dante as every game passes as i prefer progress rather than origins, tho the foster home idea would have made an interesting tutorial.

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
I think that the reason why DMC Dante's rough childhood is not often put forward in a discussion is because he is not often called a douchebag. Let's put it this way: rough childhood is a way of justifying DmC Dante's brusque attitude. Since DMC Dante has not this attitude, this fact is put under the spotlight less often.

Edit
However, that doesn't make it a less important detail

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Well, I dislike DmC, so it doesn't matter either way to me. I just want the gameplay itself to improve... on both series. Story and characters come at a distant second, so I'm not going to bother criticizing either Dante.

Besides, they can just give him a "normal" personality (no "crazy" traits) and he'll still do fine. People just want to play the game.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
im not calling him a douche, far from it, i;m just saying hes' done his fair share of insults and generally being a ****. but thats what makes him Dante and i wouldn't have it any other way. The only reason they're cheesy is because he doesn't swear, so it comes off more boy scout/ high and mighty.
I didn't mean douche, I just meant he has his moments of taunting enemies.

Yep, that's what makes Dante into Dante, and I like that he has this cheesy way of insulting. It makes me lugh.:p

DmC fans also blow NT Dante's history of "rough childhood" out of proportions as well.
If you put all the pieces of the story together, he did have it rough. No parents. One dead and one imprisoned. No idea who or what he is. Forced to live in care homes run by demons who abused and tried to kill him like the Bob Barbas battle says.
He lived in gangs and did whatever he could to get by. He also says in Downfall DLC that he lived in the slums. And in the Vergil comic he was in Hellfire demon prison where demons beat him up on a regular basis. So, that is a rough life.
The amount of times i've read people commenting about how Dante was such a poor child with rough childhood with a sob story.
It's not a sob story, it's just what he has lived through. And he deals with it in his own way. He's not selling it as a sbo story, he doesn't ask for pity...he's the opposite. Kat tries to help him, and he turns her away. The only reason he goes with her is because that cop car passes by and he doesn't want to be caught.
Meanwhile original Dante...he never had a rouigh childhood.
He might have, but we just don't know what sort of childhood he went through because DMC never described his childhood.
The most we know is from the anime which says that Dante lived under the name Tony in a village until demons set it on fire.
I am not saying they didnt have rough childhood. Both of them did.

But for NT Dante DmC fans sure put more weight on his story of bad past than original Dante. So it's not like this mentality of treating the two characters differently is one sided. Both characters are treated differently based on the groups of people judging them.
That's because DmC Dante has more story than classic Dante. There's more information on how Dante lived his life. We have the Bob Barbas fight where he describes Dante's history, things Dante has said himself and the Vergil comic and Downfall DLC. In comparison, sadly all we know about classic Dante is that his mother died protecting him from a demon attack. And that dialogue after Nelo Angelo dies that has Eva's voice and Dante and Vergil's at their....was it their birthday?

NT Dante defintly had a poor childhood. I never got to connect with it because it was never seen. "Dont tell me, SHOW ME!" is what i am thinking.
They should have showed more of it. But we got glimpses, like that montage of Dante at different points in his life facing the police, in bed with women, holding his mother's dead body, killing a demon as a kid and looking into himself to see if he was human.
And i saw little of where he was totured etc.
I would have liked more of the 2010 trailer put in where Dante was skinn, tied up and being interrogated in that facility.
But i'll say this, when both the original and the variation have had a rough childhood and the fans of teh variation blown the variations story out of proportion, then it makes his story just looked pretentious.
DmC Dante has more of a story that classic Dante. If we had more of classic Dante's story then we'd have more to compare.

And as i said, people called NT Dante douchebag out of frustration.

IncarnatedDemon

I know NTDante has more story, but one can easily discuss original Dante's childhood to see if you could roughly pinpoint how he lived.

And that police stuff scene was stupid. Police goes after anyone who rebels, its that simple.

If Police went after Dante only then that would be 1 thing, but i am pretty sure he was part of a crowd of rebels causing trouble for the police.
So it doesnt seem like "Lets kill that 1 guy only".

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
And I'd argue that you using the word classic is insulting.
Wow... so now you're insulted by the word "classic"? You're a few bricks short of a full load, aren't you?

Anyway @ Loopy:

Just improve the way the story is told and with better dialogue. You can make almost anything into a good story. All you need are proper preparations and sound execution.

IncarnatedDemon

Wow... so now you're insulted by the word "classic"? You're a few bricks short of a full load, aren't you?
There is no need to call him classic Dante when he has been Dante for over 10 years.
If you want to differentiate him from Ninja theory's Dante, then how about instead of calling Dante for classic Dante, call NT Dante for NT Dante and thats it.

Then we know whenever someone says Dante - we're speaking of original
When someone says NT Dante - we know its the reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom