• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

"Ghost in the Hell" Ghost in the Shell live action movie

berto

I Saw the Devil
This fan made fan-cast is what I'd rather have.
tumblr_ndi8pwHGNW1rtb07uo1_500.png
Ken Watanabe as Batou? I don't think he's beefy enough. Batou is a big muscular guy and Ken Watanabe is a slender man. I don't know if Takeshi Kenishiro as Togusa would be my first choice. Wouldn't be bad just not who'd I pick. I recognize the guy for Aramaki but I don't know his name. I guess he'd a good choice though a bit over budget with all these a listers as the main cast.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

How much natural racial diversity does japan have vs the u.s. ????
How many blonde blue eyed, redheads, green eyed, etc naturally born japanese citizens are there in japan.
And the name Motoko Kusanagi doesn't sound like a common american name does it.
But see that can't be used as an excuse for hollywood, as pointed out there's a diversity in the u.s that includes asian actors & actresses.
So why not use them if assuming a particular race has a higher guarantee of selling tickets then another ?

Ghost in the Shell (攻殻機動隊 Kōkaku Kidōtai?, literally "Mobile Armored Riot Police") is a Japanese media franchise originally published as a seinen manga series of the same name written and illustrated by Masamune Shirow. The manga, first serialized in 1989 under the subtitle of The Ghost in the Shell, and later published as its own tankōbon volumes by Kodansha, told the story of the fictional counter-cyberterrorist organization Public Security Section 9, led by protagonist Major Motoko Kusanagi, in the mid 21st century of Japan.

XOsbI2L.gif

rlyde7r.gif

I agree with @DragonMaster2010, doing this doesn't really give credit to the creator Masamune Shirow by fully acknowledging his race, the race of the character or hollywood being as diverse as they claim to be.

@Chancey289 Weren't you the one complaining how TMNT, ManOfSteel & Batman v Superman failed to understand & do justice to the characters.
So why is this any different when anime/fans are asking for the same thing?

@DragonMaster2010 I agree with you but it's kinda like someone already said, it's a matter of casting actors that's going to sell tickets.
A big production company isn't going to cast some relatively unknown asian actor in a production like this. Name me some big time asian actress off the top off your head, and not just the girl from Pacific Rim because that's what you saw in a movie once. Everyone is saying Rinko just because she's Japanese to be totally honest. and are only aware of her because of Pacific Rim. I would say a bigger Asian star is someone like Gong Li and Zhang Ziyi.

There's a fine line between "white washing" and just a company wanting an attractive leading star. (because also like I said, the studio still cast Asian actors for the movie. I heard Takeshi Kateno has been cast as Daisuke Aramaki.)

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
takeshi kitano is old news, he doesn't count to be honest, he didn't even make more screen time in johnny mnemonic, and back then was more of his prime..

i'd rather a hollywood production use their own rather than using asian actors for the sake of having them there and ended up using same ol same ol face in any role for asians, and most of the times, they're casting a chinese as japanese or using the not attractive ones like the guy playing yamcha.. as an asian, this insults me more..

absolitude

let's not talk about chinese or korean actresses when we want a japanese actress, rinko kikuchi is the best bet and they're not going with her anyway, altho i think she can't act either, seen babel, and i'm not impressed.. the other actress that came to mind is mika nakashima, she had small cameo in resident evil.. other is ryoko hirosue from wasabi with jean reno, but i don't think she's in the business anymore

but we need to face that hollywood is never diverse, it's as diverse as what the popular or common foreign culture is at the moment, that or which politically will benefit them as in they are the rising economy.. start with vietnamese back at the days, then the chinese, the japanese, indian and korean.. don't complain if i don't mention african american, as far as i can opiniate, black people is part of american history and culture and isn't really categorized as foreign for me..

what ever diversity they claim to have, it goes back to their interest..

let's just be realistic, that's how it is, their money, their interest.. one thing they really could do is like most of you say, change the name of the main character, make it like resident evil, like who the hell is alice..

absolitude

True it's hollywood's money, their interests, that's how it is, & i'm sure people get that.

Hollywood sending the message of we rather cast a guaranteed box-office draw for an actor/actress then put real effort in accuracy, respecting the material & giving proper acknowledgement to the creators.

To be realistic how is just sitting back & accepting that going to change anything, how does that make a difference in hollywood producing more movies with better accuracy or increasing diversity in hollywood if we just sitting back & say o'well.

i personally don't see it as casting a guaranteed box-office, it's more of a it's our production we should put one of ours in it.. or to be positive, more of safe decision and rather risk free, scarjo played characters like lucy and black widow, they consider her could pull it off --they, not me--, let's just spend more of the funds on the familiar name..

and i don't get why people demanded diversity in hollywood, an american industry based in america, it's not like it's hollywood's fault that their movies have the world as their market.. i'd seriously rather mock and humiliate my country for creating stupid movies instead of building up the industry to world class and speak for the world

hollywood has the funds to make those movies, and i'm just glad i get to see quality entertainment or anything based on what i like--in few cases these days, but even so, they top the production quality worldwide and they're in english.. not like i can't enjoy other foreign languages, i just don't know where to start for the up to date infos on them..

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Y'know, rather than getting a Japanese actress to play the Major, I'm more disappointed that they didn't try to make SJ look more like the character. You know, the purple-ish hair and the reddish eyes.
Ghost_in_the_Shell_S.A.C._2nd_GIG_Motoko_Kusanagi.png

I mean sure, it might look stupid at first in Live Action but there have been adaptations to live action that have pulled it off in the past.

The Gyakuten Saiban movie was a great example of this...

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yes but Peru has the most balanced racial diversity with no one people occupying more the 20% of the population and Spain having the largest ethnic diversity.

Ok, so California speaks approximately 300 languages and Hollywood is in California making it a bit of a hypocrisy... or an irony, not sure how to interpret it, that this is a thing but most of the US is Caucasian and studios are ran by people who rather be racially insensitive than loose several hundreds of millions of US Dollars, and I can't blame them for that. What I can blame them for is for never, ever, trying.

I get that Hollywood won't put Jackie Chan in a movie without an American partner but could try, see if they can slowly start to get him and other greats from around the world to have bigger roles. Antonio Banderas seems to only play Mexicans here, same for Penelope Cruz. Still, better than what Tony Jaa got as sparring partner for Paul Walker; I know the guy's dead but he was not anywhere near as good as Tony Jaa and certainly not good enough to have anything but his ass handed to him by one of Asia's best fighters/stuntman. Byung-hun Lee, one of Korea's finest actors and onscreen fighters has gotten the short end in terms of roles with most been less than impressive, the only decent American role I've seen him in would be in Red 2 and that's as good as it got and he deserves a lead role.

If you want to see a lot of these outstanding performers in the US you're going to have to go to the direct to video section or, at best, a British film. Danny Boyle has a film in which he starts some of the biggest bad asses from Japan and Hong Kong and gives them real roles, Michelle Yeoh and Hyroyuki Saneda, and another set in India about an Indian boy and not some white kit been raised there with his American sensibilities. While Sunshine didn't share the success of Slumdog Millionaire they do share the pattern of not folding by altering the cast in order to sell tickets. While it's arguable that Sunshine would alter it's cast, seeing how Chris Evens and Cillian Murphy are the arguable leads, if Slumdog had been made by an American studio they would've demanded a white kid as the lead and altered his story to make sense like that.

Hollywood just doesn't want to add diversity to it's films and they've had decades to do it slowly and they've left it to the few rogues, like Tarantino and Boyle, to do it for them because they sure as s*** aren't going to risk it. Hell, Keanu Reeves' Man of Kung-Fu was an excellent blend and while it wasn't just quite good enough of a movie to be theatrical it was an outstanding fighting movie without making the compromise of changing the lead to a white dude. My biggest gripe with Elysium, and really my only gripe, is how the lead, been a white kid raised in Mexico, stayed 'white.' When you spend that much time, decades, in a different culture with a different language you adapt, pick up mannerisms, the language, the behaviors and idioms; he didn't even speak decent Spanish.

This tirade has gone on long enough. Bottom line, Hollywood=predominantly white leads, even when the roles don't call for it. It's a fact and the examples are everywhere. I'll be honest, it doesn't bother me as much when old films did it because the country, and Hollywood, were still getting used to things and it was a different time, but it bothers me a hell of a lot now because it's been almost 100 years of American cinema, they've had time be ever more encompassing and they aren't even trying. The foreign market is broad and much more accepting than the US, they should take into consideration when bitching about how a movie won't sell.

One last thing, this all reminded me of. When I was a kid I saw these things or the like I always thought it was Americans been arrogant and not wanting others to have a good role, a good part to play. I also wondered if it was them making it look like it was great been them, a sort of 'behold and worship' and 'aren't we Americans great?' air to it (Michael Bay does that a lot, by the way).

absolitude

One last thing, this all reminded me of. When I was a kid I saw these things or the like I always thought it was Americans been arrogant and not wanting others to have a good role, a good part to play. I also wondered if it was them making it look like it was great been them, a sort of 'behold and worship' and 'aren't we Americans great?' air to it (Michael Bay does that a lot, by the way).

i'm still thinking that is the case even now.. our money, our choice, let's make ourselves good out there..

i don't know bout you guys, but if i want diversity in movies done right, i'll resort to french movies..

my opinion is that hollywood isn't diverse, and i'm kinda okay with it..

anyway, this movie will be generic it's worth the arguing.. i'm guessing it's gonna be i robot meets lucy meets total recall reboot, there'll be a good looking friend hacker they'd need help from.. villain hacker is an ai with sympathetic reason, scarjo's gonna get caught and gets the beating

and there'll be this scene

zucwfqqgsojpqdfjnec8fqpq5iitwt5xdjfj4dyvfksuiu0oxpanbynrxb3todac.jpg

again i hope i'm wrong

absolitude

That's not making hollywood look great, it makes hollywood look inferior & shallow, unaware of their audience, greedy.

and i think we all here are aware of that.. and they will keep making movies anyway, hollywood still won't make foreigns as the lead unless it's jackie chan, and scarjo will still be in movies after this.. boycott the movie so they'll learn? loss is something familiar to any industries.. scream hollywood is discriminative? actors did that already..

unless another industry or at least big studio change themselves, i don't think there's anything we can do.. if anything, ghost in the shell creator is actually the one who needs to be strict, no japanese lead no production, but it happened anyway..

people are aware of this, even i who don't mind, you know how many times i laughed and ****ed seeing them using unattractive and the same non-whites faces? in my mind it's always "these ****s is tryin to show americans that no-whites are ugly" but what can i do? what can my race do?

you know the biggest hit of a movie ever in our cinema history? it's the raid, but who produced, directed, writes and came up with the idea? a welsh, gareth evans, was a big pride that our other movie doers praising and proud of him, but have they done before? making money from stupid stuffs, and now movies alike the raid are keep getting made.. it's just how the industry goes, they won't risk it, they want money..

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Who the **** is saying ScarJo's ethnicity and gender is what's going to put people in seats? She's not being cast because she's white. She's being cast because she's a big name.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
It really sucks they want to use a big name actress instead of actually finding an actress thats actually Japanese same with the Death Note movie and the Doctor Strange movie. And when producers do try and diversify their movies they get **** on. I bet there are alot of great POC actors and actresses we'll never hear about because they'll be passed over for bigger names.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I guess this is relevant...

I love that he brought up the Attack on Titan movie for comparison.

absolitude

ugh, we're talking in circles here..

i don't know what else to say, but for ghost in the shell context, people should really ask the writer or whatever japanese company for being okay with a white playing lead in their work..

Top Bottom