• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

"Ghost in the Hell" Ghost in the Shell live action movie

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

Hollywood did.
YES Scarlett Johansson is a big name, however hollywood actually did The moment they skipped over a japanese actresses better fitted for the role of a japanese character.

YES Hollywood goes for the big names, YES Hollywood has casted actors of a difference race in various roles many times because they're a name.
However Hollywood not using the plentiful diversity offered by the u.s doesn't make them look any better as it makes Hollywood appear greedy, shallow & less than an equal opportunity employer.

And from that can we say that if Rinko Kikuchi or any other japanese actress was as big a name as Scarlett Johansson is right now, Hollywood would've given her the part instead.

If so then why aren't there more lead roles for actors of difference diversity, why isn't that same opportunity given to actresses like Rinko Kikuchi.
C:) Pacific Rim was big, so where were Rinko Kikuchi's roles afterwards that put her on the screen as much as Scarlett Johansson.
C:)

I said it before, and I'll say it one more time, a big production company will not cast a relatively unknown Asian actress in a production like this. It's not "whitewashing". It's just wanting an attractive leading star. If they were whitewashing all the roles, they wouldn't have cast Takeshi Kitano as Daisuke Aramaki.

Plus, just saying, here you are claiming you're fighting for diversity, but not too long ago you were totally against Michael B. Jordan's casting as the Human Torch in that latest Fantastic Four movie, just because he was black.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
i think the main problem people are having here is that the major was intended to be an asian woman. and the fact that she's not in this live action depiction angers people

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Everyone...

Today, I've made an amazing discovery.

I am Trans-Racial; a Japanese man born and trapped in another race's body.

-----

Please fund my kickstarter so I can get a full skin-graph transplant from a recently deceased Asian person (one with a preferably decent complexion of course).

I wouldn't ask for money if it weren't for a good cause. Please, think of my need for acceptance amongst the far-eastern populace.

-----

On-topic:

If they can cast scarjo as a robot whose nationality's from Japan, then they can cast me as the Japanese cybernetic ninja in Robocop 3.

I'll star in a "well-meaning" (but ultimately tasteless) spin-off where I'm reprogrammed into a "good" robot, and my skin is changed accordingly into something more... audience friendly.

It's just skin after all -- it's not like that cyborg's an actual Japanese person...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jak

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
asian woman

japanese woman, i need to correct that and we need to learn to be more spesific, asia is big and diverse, arab is asian, indian is asian, persian is asian, orangutan is asian--animal.. we don't all look like the major

this goes to all of you, all of you *slams the door

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Getting back on topic, I will have to see more before I decide not to watch this movie or not.

Who knows, maybe there's a talented script writer behind this.

But then again, Dragonball Evolution didn't just suck because they cast a white guy to be Goku...ugh that "attempt" at a story. :vomit:

Goldsickle

When All You Need Is Kill was adapted into Edge Of Tomorrow, they changed Keiji Kiriya into Bill Cage, acted by Tom Cruise.

That movie actually got positive feedback and I don't recall seeing any b****ing about "a Japanese character replaced by a white person".

I guess the big difference is that a lot of people know Ghost In The Shell but not many know about All You Need Is Kill.

I'll just watch the Ghost In The Shell movie as what it is: an adaptation.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
Getting back on topic, I will have to see more before I decide not to watch this movie or not.

But then again, Dragonball Evolution didn't just suck because they cast a white guy to be Goku...ugh that "attempt" at a story. :vomit:

check out imdb page, not so much of a resume, one of them wrote snow white and the huntsman

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

Well, Goku isn't Asian. He's an alien. Don't know why people claim that was white washing. I'm just waiting for a trailer, Ghost in the Shell is not hard to adapt. They'd have to really try hard to screw this up.
When All You Need Is Kill was adapted into Edge Of Tomorrow, they changed Keiji Kiriya into Bill Cage, acted by Tom Cruise.

That movie actually got positive feedback and I don't recall seeing any b****ing about "a Japanese character replaced by a white person".

I guess the big difference is that a lot of people know Ghost In The Shell but not many know about All You Need Is Kill.

I'll just watch the Ghost In The Shell movie as what it is: an adaptation.
Edge of Tomorrow was great. It definitely made my top 10 list of that year. The only thing they really changed from the book was the ending, which still wasn't a terrible thing. It stood on its own as a great adaption. Which as a fan of Ghost in the Shell, I hope does the same thing.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
So there are no known asian actresses.
But wasn't Rinko Kikuchi nearly every audience member's choice even though she's not as well known.
And wouldn't that mean she's well known enough for most of the public to think of her for the lead role.

So there are no attractive asian actresses ?

So asian actors are only good enough for a supporting role in this live-action movie ?

I agree with you & whomever, if it wasn't apparent before i am making it apparent now, on Hollywood isn't whitewashing on purpose, YES i see Hollywood casting because of the name, however the results of the choices have unfortunately whitewashed everything.

You can't use It's just wanting an attractive leading star. & say no asian actresses qualify.
You can't use our money, our choice, let's make ourselves good out there.. & not hire a japanese actress for a japanese lead role because it doesn't look like support for diversity.
You can't say use one of ours & ignore japanese actresses when there's japanese actresses born in the u.s. & Hollywood has the connections & resources to get japanese actresses for the lead role.

YUUUUUUUUUP!
Because like this, i wanted character accuracy, the very same thing you wanted when it came to Batman v Superman.
C:)
I mean seriously in the BATMAN v SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE thread didn't you say things like

All simply because you felt it didn't do justice to the characters ?

You even pointed people to a Superman comic instead of the Batman v Superman movie.
You went on ranting how the movie wasn't familiar with the characters & how

I agreed many times with you, but when it's something you don't care about or can easily write off then people wanting Hollywood to portray character accuracy then they're wrong.

So it's pretty much when something matters to you then your opinions are justified. When something matters to anyone else but you they're full of crap & just fans crying like usual.
First off, when I use the term "attractive" I wasn't talking about their appearance. I was talking about star power. And you still can't name me a big time Japanese actress to pick up the role that would have the same draw as someone like ScarJo. You keep saying Rinko ONLY because she's the Japanese actress you saw in a movie once. Quite frankly, I know Asian actresses that would be better suited for the role than Rinko based on acting talent alone. I'd probably pick someone like Zhang Ziyi.

And that Michael B. Jordan hate still isn't cool. The movie sucked, but I still stand by him being a good choice for Johnny Storm because he's a good actor who in a better movie would have given us a great Human Torch. It's 2016. Not the 1960s. Nearly every superhero back then was white. We don't have to hold ourselves to those ass-backwards standards anymore. We can have a black Human Torch. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. **** your authenticity, especially when quite frankly it makes you come off as racist.

I never said I don't care about this movie, I am a fan of the property and I'd like to see a good movie come out of it. I'm just not so quick to claim "whitewashing" on something that isn't.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
There is no justification in this decision. I mean why somebody with pure japanese name and japanese decent looks nothing like japanese. I mean, what the hell :/ I think next step in cinema stupidity will be gender change of the character. Than circle of humanity's idioticy will be fulfilled. I think they should have made Motoko jewish trans of african descent.

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Sorry, buuuut thats pretty stretched out claim. Out of my head, nobody knew Chritoff Waltz before Inglrious Basterds and Tarantino wanted to cast DiCaprio only than to change his decision and cast Waltz instead which lead to him become internationally known actor. Mads Mikkelsen became well known and got lot of nominations and awards despite coming from Skandinavian. So there is no need to pull victim card and pretend there are no actors out there. You just prefer lazy uninspired way and hope fanboys gobble it up like it happened with films like Transformers

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Sorry, buuuut thats pretty stretched out claim. Out of my head, nobody knew Chritoff Waltz before Inglrious Basterds and Tarantino wanted to cast DiCaprio only than to change his decision and cast Waltz instead which lead to him become internationally known actor. Mads Mikkelsen became well known and got lot of nominations and awards despite coming from Skandinavian. So there is no need to pull victim card and pretend there are no actors out there. You just prefer lazy uninspired way and hope fanboys gobble it up like it happened with films like Transformers
That video is coming from a man who works in Hollywood. That's Max Landis.

What he's saying is pretty much what the rest of the rational people have been trying to tell the angry weeaboos.

Unfortunately, there's not really any A-List Asian actors out there for such a big production that is Ghost in The Shell. ScarJo's casting isn't whitewashing, but an unfortunate reality in the film industry. The studio wants the movie to ultimately be successful, casting an unknown actress, in a property that's practically unheard of outside of the anime fandom, is just not an option for these people.

The Star Wars comparison was a good one, because that is a franchise that outshines any name. A franchise that can make practically anyone the next big thing. Daisy Ridley, unheard of until Force Awakens and boom, now she's getting calls left and right. She's the frontrunner for Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider reboot for example.

And you mention Christoph Waltz, yea, he broke out pretty big because he was in a TARANTINO movie. That's a good way to get noticed.

Ghost in the Shell is not going to make anyone a star unless they already were one.

If you can't see this stuff, then you really just don't get it.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
So it's pretty much when something matters to you then your opinions are justified. When something matters to anyone else but you they're full of crap & just fans crying like usual.
Yeah, I like how he can pick and choose his arguments like that.

But you'd support me as Ninjabot, wouldn't you, Vamps? I'd make a good Robo-Asian, right? XD

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
2. I am not familiar with Ninjabot lol.
Go to pages 1, 2, and 4 on this thread -- that's where I posted my "arguments".

Basically, I would've cast myself as the Japanese ninjabot because technically, since he was created and not born, he's not a "real" Japanese person.

I love the ninjabot more than scarjo loves GitS, so at least I would've shown more respect towards the source material.

My casting would be to "open up to a broader audience" because I'm using the same logic that the Ghost in the Shell producers are using -- the exact same logic.

-----

"If it's a robot, then it can be recast as a different race, derp derp."

-----

What people don't realize is, even if it's just a robot, it's still insensitive to do something like this.

-----

When I read what the Japanese fanbase said about this (on kotaku) I picked up on their veiled insults because I remembered that the Japanese language is where that no one ever says what they really mean -- so you have to find a roundabout way to get your message across.

http://kotaku.com/the-japanese-internet-reacts-to-scarlet-johansson-in-gh-1771544034

What they said was all very subtle (especially when they said "it can't be helped"). I enjoyed reading it because I knew only a few people out there would've "gotten the joke."

Last edited:
Top Bottom