• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

General DMC 5 Discussion

windleopard

I have a theory that V is some kind of homonculus/golem. His skin seems to be cracked in some of the what I'm assuming are later events in the game, and he has a very strange way of speaking. He makes mention that he "doesn't have a name, as [he] was born two days ago" before awkwardly trying to pass it off as a joke and giving himself the name "V".

Saying he's a "reincarnation" of Mundus is hilarious though. How can you be a reincarnation of someone who isn't dead? Dante passed on the opportunity to kill Mundus like he said he would and just sealed him away again. I'm thinking Urizen is Mundus, or perhaps related to him.

Hmm, V is the roman numeral form of the number 5. Maybe he calls himself V because that was his number. Kind of like how Lucia was named Chi after the 22nd letter of the Greek alphabet.

Last edited:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
They said V's identity is one of the biggest mysteries of the game. So speculate away but don't expect an actual answer in DMC5.

We all know he's going to be like...Vergil's humanity, and Urizen is Vergil's demonic side. I have very little faith that Capcom could come up with something outside of both bringing back a character and creating another familial connection. They're stuck on Sparda, and I'll be pleasantly surprised to be wrong.

One thing to keep in mind though is that, much like Nero being Vergil's son, if it's entirely obvious what the game is implying, then it's probably the truth. The conjecture over Nero's parentage over however long its been since DMC4 was rather silly, in retrospect.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I had a similar theory that V is like Trish, a demon created by Mundus or by another demon, which is why she speaks to him like that and he seems like someone just scolded him when she does.

windleopard

I had a similar theory that V is like Trish, a demon created by Mundus or by another demon, which is why she speaks to him like that and he seems like someone just scolded him when she does.

I hope this doesn't mean Trish is evil.

DarkSlayerVergil

We all know he's going to be like...Vergil's humanity, and Urizen is Vergil's demonic side. I have very little faith that Capcom could come up with something outside of both bringing back a character and creating another familial connection. They're stuck on Sparda, and I'll be pleasantly surprised to be wrong.

One thing to keep in mind though is that, much like Nero being Vergil's son, if it's entirely obvious what the game is implying, then it's probably the truth. The conjecture over Nero's parentage over however long its been since DMC4 was rather silly, in retrospect.
I had originally thought Urizen is actually just Mundus using Vergils body as a vessel.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I meant evil in this game. With the recent V trailer and the theory he's a Mundus creation mentioned above by you, I was wondering if that meant he and Trish were plotting against Dante.

I hope she is. Ever since 4 I've wanted to kill her for being ridiculously stupid. "Oh hurr lemme just take Sparda and give it to the evil people who want it, that won't kill a ton of innocent people!"

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Uuuuuugh, I wanna have faith that Capcom won't do something so dumb, but then seeing as this is supposedly going to be the end of the "Sons of Sparda" storyline then it's niggling in the back of my mind that they might try to do it. :eek:

It wouldn't be a deal-breaker or anything, but it would be hugely disappointing if that sorta thing did turn out be the case. :'(

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@windleopard
I don't think Trish has reverted back to villainy.

She could be a mentor to V. Trying to appeal to his potential for good like dante did back in 1.

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Uuuuuugh, I wanna have faith that Capcom won't do something so dumb, but then seeing as this is supposedly going to be the end of the "Sons of Sparda" storyline then it's niggling in the back of my mind that they might try to do it. :eek:

It wouldn't be a deal-breaker or anything, but it would be hugely disappointing if that sorta thing did turn out be the case. :'(

Don't see how a character who was set up and alluded to wanting to discard his humanity to obtain power literally discard his humanity to obtain power is such a bad thing.

Granted that has been the theme of all DMC villains since DMC2 so it has gotten repetitive at this point. However since that theme was best utilized with Vergil if Urizen is basically just Vergil if he got his wish of ultimate power it would be a decent way to end Dante's and Vergil's story then throw in a new character (that really came from nowhere) who has no connection to Dante or Nero outside maybe some history with Sparda. It also creates for bigger personal drama where Nero must deal with his father who he never met is trying to end the world and Dante must finally come to the decision having to actually kill his own brother or try to save him this time.

However, I do believe Urizen is his own person and Vergil was the one who resurrected him to obtain power (and its probably why V knows he is resurrecting if he too is connected to Vergil). Funny thought though when I saw the first e3 trailer my first theory or idea that the big bad (before we even learned his name) might be Vergil(it was probably all the blue).

This also makes V's agony, his intent to see this through, and resentment towards Dante makes sense. If he is Vergil's human side literally ejected from Vergil he is probably dying and needs to kill demons to continue living or something but probably doesn't care and probably wants to kill his demon half even if he dies in the end as long as he can stop his evil half from ending the world for he feels its his responsibility. It also makes sense why he is decaying if the last time we saw Vergil he was near death and barely holding on if he somehow discarded his humanity to continue to live and even obtain more power V probably is his decaying body (probably symbolic of Vergil ditching his human side that he feels is holding him back or weighting him down).

It also makes a lot of sense why Vergil would go to such extreme lengths and seek Urizen for more power. His primary goal in life is to obtain power so he can never feel powerless again like when he lost his mother and after the events of DMC3 he is defeated and perhaps even killed by Mundus (the person responsible for his mother's death and his drive for power), made his literal slave for about a decade, and after blowing up is on the verge of death. The very thing Vergil didn't want to happen to him (feeling powerless and being a victim) happened to an extreme degree so his paranoia of being weak only skyrocketed to the point he will even seek more drastic measures to obtain power. Now the question to ask whether if Urizen is mainly in control, is Vergil mainly in control, or is it 50-50?

Besides even if we know Urizen is Vergil and V is also Vergil in some way there are still a lot of mysteries in the story. Like what is the Qliphoth, why is there a vacant seat in the Underworld if Urizen is now alive or why would Urizen want to appoint a new ruler besides himself, who does Goliath refer to when he said he doesn't want "him" to become ruler (if Vergil is Urizen then he wouldn't be competing since he is the one responsible for this event) , is Vergil/Urizen also interested in getting the fruit, or what if Nero or Dante eats the the fruit

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
However since that theme was best utilized with Vergil if Urizen is basically just Vergil if he got his wish of ultimate power it would be a decent way to end Dante's and Vergil's story then throw in a new character (that really came from nowhere) who has no connection to Dante or Nero outside maybe some history with Sparda.

Very valid point.

Goldsickle

I hope V's ground stab carries over to the full game.
I feel like I was cheated out of a ground stab move when I saw Dante doing it in a DmC trailer but you don't have that move in the full release.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Don't see how a character who was set up and alluded to wanting to discard his humanity to obtain power literally discard his humanity to obtain power is such a bad thing.

Because Vergil is dead, and it's just bad writing. Constantly bringing the character back after Dante mourned over him twice consistently lessens what little impact his character had. It's already bad enough that Vergil is back again ripping arms off. This is the point where fan service starts to negatively impact whatever narrative potential there is. Adventures don't (and shouldn't) revolve around the same three damn people.

It also creates for bigger personal drama where Nero must deal with his father who he never met is trying to end the world and Dante must finally come to the decision having to actually kill his own brother or try to save him this time.

The problem there is that Nero never once seemed to care about where he came from or who his family was. For him to care so much now, and have his entire arc comprised of dealing with that emotional roller coaster in DCM5 feels like a waste, and in reality he'll probably just end up acting all flippant about the revelation. He's not going to get all weepy-eyed about his dad, especially not someone who was actively responsible for endangering humanity and getting people killed.

Like what is the Qliphoth

It's a massive demon tree that sucks of people's blood, seemingly to create a fruit that will offer immense power to the person how obtains it.

why is there a vacant seat in the Underworld if Urizen is now alive or why would Urizen want to appoint a new ruler besides himself

Urizen seems to be poised to become the next king given he probably sprouted the tree, but it's not official yet, hence why there's a sense of urgency to complete this whole mission before things turn really sour. He's not appointing another ruler, he's trying to keep his own opportunity in place.

who does Goliath refer to when he said he doesn't want "him" to become ruler (if Vergil is Urizen then he wouldn't be competing since he is the one responsible for this event)

Goliath is probably talking about Urizen, or, in the most unsurprising case, he's talking about V having seen him before, where V is just an upstart trying to get the fruit for himself and he's just manipulating everyone.

windleopard

Because Vergil is dead, and it's just bad writing. Constantly bringing the character back after Dante mourned over him twice consistently lessens what little impact his character had. It's already bad enough that Vergil is back again ripping arms off. This is the point where fan service starts to negatively impact whatever narrative potential there is. Adventures don't (and shouldn't) revolve around the same three damn people.

Wait, was it confirmed that the hooded man who attacks Nero is Vergil?

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Wait, was it confirmed that the hooded man who attacks Nero is Vergil?

Same facial structure, can instantly use Yamato's ability to open rifts without being seen doing it prior, same boots and bracers, ruthless desire for power... It's basically Vergil in all but name at this point.

Top Bottom