• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

General DMC 5 Discussion

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Well that was that.

Things I liked

-Performing Royal Release with a full Royal Guard bar is the normal Just Release and as usual does a ton of damage
-Royal Guard is balanced and reworked to be more robust and reliable than the past games
-Ecstacy is a S rank ground taunt
-With some practice Matt Edwards, a relative newbie/novice, was pulling off some really impressive stuff.
-They did put a lot of thought in the boss and enemy designs.

Things I don't like
-The game looks too easy. Are you sure this is Devil Hunter mode?
-So Judecca will only summon other enemies if you leave him alone and don't attack him. What kind of idiotic enemy design is that?
-They literally forgot to put Wall Running in. I'm not annoyed it is gone...again...but its excluded because they forgot it existed or at the very least fans wanted it.
-Itsuno is really confident that he made the greatest game ever. I don't see it. It looks great and is probably going to be the best Devil May Cry game but Itsuno might be overselling his own game.

I'm mixed on Cavaliere Angelo. He looked impressive before but now he looks easy (I guess he practiced enough to make it look easy).

ShiningTempest

-So Judecca will only summon other enemies if you leave him alone and don't attack him. What kind of idiotic enemy design is that?
-They literally forgot to put Wall Running in. I'm not annoyed it is gone...again...but its excluded because they forgot it existed or at the very least fans wanted it.
-Itsuno is really confident that he made the greatest game ever. I don't see it. It looks great and is probably going to be the best Devil May Cry game but Itsuno might be overselling his own game.
Same here. And they are pretty adamant on NOT letting people breaker switch.
So yeah, go back to DMC1 and DMC3 to see the enemies destroy you. I hope this is easy/human, or difficulty increases massively in DMD.
The curious part of Itsuno's claim would be determined by how much of the game have they revealed.
Of all the moves and enemies we have seen what % does it represent of the entire game?
Performing Royal Release with a full Royal Guard bar is the normal Just Release and as usual does a ton of damage
Im not sure if I like this or not, a lot of post DMC2 mechanics are scenario and enemy dependent.
The dash is almost always better if the enemies swarm you like DMC3.

If you do the projectile with non full gauge does it deplete the gauge?

They better not get rid of Juggernaught(what if Juggernaught is Majin DT?)

He said we can do the release without full gauge!
Meaning the projectile may be a back input. So effectively Royal Guard is better now.
Yay Itsuno is really coming through with his claim.

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
A thought just occurred to me. The Order has all sorts of anti-demon stuff since they were apparently even butting in on Lady's jobs.

Now that demons are widespread, Nero could make a mint selling them to the highest bidder. He could probably pay off all of Dante's debts too. :D

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
If you do the projectile with non full gauge does it deplete the gauge?

They better not get rid of Juggernaught(what if Juggernaught is Majin DT?)

He said we can do the release without full gauge!
Meaning the projectile may be a back input. So effectively Royal Guard is better now.
Yay Itsuno is really coming through with his claim.

Yeah the projectile attack does deplete the gauge regardless.

That tweet isn't very specific. The projectile attack could be Release and timing it right is Royal Release (the dash). This is the first time we see a Just Release. If it was a separate input wouldn't we have saw the regular (non-projectile) Release by now and not the Royal Release version.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
DMC5 Collector's Edition comes with the van. The v...the...van...

DtHD1NoU0AEMifo.jpg:large

Not a figure of Dante, Nero, or V; or a replica Devil Breaker; or a replica Blue Rose, Red Queen, E&I, or Rebellion? Like...just...the vehicle that has no defining features aside from the neon sign. Just...what a great way to get me to not want to spend money. I'll be content with simply the deluxe.

ShiningTempest

The projectile attack could be Release and timing it right is Royal Release (the dash). This is the first time we see a Just Release. If it was a separate input wouldn't we have saw the regular (non-projectile) Release by now and not the Royal Release version.
The projectile is not the basic release because I saw a basic release without getting attacked.
Some things are still unclear.
The best outcome would be that there are two versions of Royal Release with back and forward inputs being the difference.
The attacks also get special powered up versions when done at full gauge.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Well that was that.

I'm mixed on Cavaliere Angelo. He looked impressive before but now he looks easy (I guess he practiced enough to make it look easy).

I think you're a bit too worried on difficulty. You're going to get your challenge, but be carefut what you wish for. Besides, 4's DH was easier than Vanilla!3 (US)'s Normal. Most fans didn't complain back then, so t he default difficulty being not being next to impossible is not a big deal.

Every developer/publisher has made claims about their game or series being the best to hype up marketing. Very few have backed that up. Itsuno's no different, but he has the talent for going the extra mile, similar to Kamiya. DMC5 may not turn out to be the greastest game ever made (I don't care), but it will be the best stylish action game of the year, along with Bayonetta 3.

ShiningTempest

Every developer/publisher has made claims about their game or series being the best to hype up marketing. Very few have backed that up. Itsuno's no different, but he has the talent for going the extra mile, similar to Kamiya. DMC5 may not turn out to be the greastest game ever made (I don't care), but it will be the best stylish action game of the year, along with Bayonetta 3.
I have been playing DMC1 again notice that some of Kamiya's design are cheap. Cheap as in he creates some simple mechanics to draw out battles. Consider Nightmare. You have to go through unnecessary mechanics to damage the enemy. Damaging the switch, fighting other bosses, and the final phase is very cheap where the core just sits there and spams projectiles. Same goes for shadows. In the Mundus battle chip damage from his orbs are more of an issue than his scripted attacks.
This continues into Bayonetta as well. Some bosses step away and spam projectiles and you have to wait for them to attack to get your opening. Witch time is disabled in Infinite Climax to force you to use other mechanics.

Itsuno seems to avoid this with his designs. Yes there are Gheryon and Leviathan but his standard design inspires you to try out everything in your arsenal as opposed to Kamiyas design where he would disable/nerf some mechanic to create challenge.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I have been playing DMC1 again notice that some of Kamiya's design are cheap. Cheap as in he creates some simple mechanics to draw out battles. Consider Nightmare. You have to go through unnecessary mechanics to damage the enemy. Damaging the switch, fighting other bosses, and the final phase is very cheap where the core just sits there and spams projectiles. Same goes for shadows. In the Mundus battle chip damage from his orbs are more of an issue than his scripted attacks.
This continues into Bayonetta as well. Some bosses step away and spam projectiles and you have to wait for them to attack to get your opening. Witch time is disabled in Infinite Climax to force you to use other mechanics.

Itsuno seems to avoid this with his designs. Yes there are Gheryon and Leviathan but his standard design inspires you to try out everything in your arsenal as opposed to Kamiyas design where he would disable/nerf some mechanic to create challenge.

While true about Kamiya, he still tries compared to some other developers. I hated Infinite Climax mode in Bayonetta and the Insta-Death QTEs. Thank Umbea, the dev team got rid of them in the sequel. The only reliable way to get witch time was either by equipping 1 or 2 accessory items that gave you witch time. One of them being similar to royal guard where you had to perfect the timing of your parry. As for the Shadows and Nightmare; use Ifrit. When facing the Shadows, equip E&I, turn on devil trigger (if you already have it), shoot until the core exposes, and use Ifrit's charge attacks. They cause major damage and will have the bastards cats turn red in 3 or 4 hits (even on the hardest mode), depending on your timing. Not mention, Ifrit's upgraded jump can parry their projectile attack they gain on DMD. The same thing applies to Nightmare's ranged attacks; especially that annoying, giant boomerang. If you use charged attacks on Nightmare's cores, they won't break as fast or won't start getting in to the red zone until you're in the middle of the 3rd fight.

Nightmare's boss refight was always a risk vs. reward system. Once you knew how its "bite" worked, avoiding the boss re-fights were easy. The only one I go out of my way to avoid is Griffon on DMD, because his attacks cause some much damage. Hell, if you're lucky, you can sometimes get Nightmare in to pattern loop. You can even do it to all forms of Nelo Angelo when fighting him the gauntlets. Though the loop pattern is a bit harder on Nelo's 3rd battle. F*ck all of the Mundus fight on any mode other than Easy or Normal.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium

I'd say that's probably because even when Itsuno does it with things like Geryon and Leviathan, there's still something for you to do, something to attack or hit. In the case of Kamiyas, you literally have no other recourse but to wait it out. The only misstep I feel Itsuno had is the Savior, but that thing is just awful in every sense.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I'd say that's probably because even when Itsuno does it with things like Geryon and Leviathan, there's still something for you to do, something to attack or hit. In the case of Kamiyas, you literally have no other recourse but to wait it out. The only misstep I feel Itsuno had is the Savior, but that thing is just awful in every sense.

I'd say Itsuno's biggest missteps were the Arhkam fight and chess pieces in 3. While novel on your first run, by the time you make it to them on DMD, they're tedious and aggrevating. The fact that you can't use the style button, other than commanding Vergil makes the fight unfair on higher difficulties. Nor can you use DT. Similar to some of Kamiya's odd design choices, it's a bad handicap. Also, enemies get too much health on DMD. When playing, you might as well stick with Swordmaster or Royal Guard for most of the playthrough and equipped with Rebellion and Beowulf.

Last edited:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I'd say Itsuno's biggest missteps were the Arhkam fight and chess pieces in 3. While novel on your first run, by the time you make it to them on DMD, they're tedious and aggrevating. The fact that you can't use the style button, other than commanding Vergil makes the fight unfair on higher difficulties. Nor can you use DT. Similar to some of Kamiya's odd design choices, it's a bad handicap. Also, enemies get too much on DMD. When playing, you might as well stick with Swordmaster or Royal Guard for most of the playthrough and equipped with Rebellion and Beowulf.

Somehow I forgot about that, but yeeeeah. Arkham was a really awful experience. Chess was...okay? Like it's an interesting gimmick fight, but it's not as ill-conceived as the dice game (and it's reuse).

berto

I Saw the Devil
Looks like I'll be working the night of the awards. I'll have to catch them after the fact.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Looks like I'll be working the night of the awards. I'll have to catch them after the fact.

Know the times of the awards (each time zone Pacific time zone in particular)? Its streamable right? If so how so is it off their website?

Erian1Mortal

Premium
So King Cerberus doesn't have mode switching like Balrog.
It has hold inputs wich make normal moves (Ice) to Lighting and all Pole attacks seem to be swordmaster.
Also some moves seem to be back/forward inputs like Calibur. Makes me wonder, is Rebellion/Sparda really not going to get new moves?

Top Bottom