• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

General DMC 5 Discussion

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I'm really not liking how Nero's Charged Shots aren't color-coded.

When keeping track of the charge in DMC4, you immediately know if it's Level 1, 2 or 3, based on the color.
Here, you kinda have to second guess and "look closer" to see if the blue aura is still charging or is finished.
Not a very good interface, compared to instant confirmation in the previous game.
There's a reason traffic lights are red, yellow and green, not different shades of blue or blinking at a precise interval.
Nothing beats color-coding to instantly recognize something on the fly.

?

You don't have to look at the arm, you can see the charge status on the interface on the top left. Color coding or not, having the actual UI telling you that is still better cause Nero's arm can get obscured by pieces of scenery, enemies or his own model.

Goldsickle

You don't have to look at the arm, you can see the charge status on the interface on the top left.
I still have to second-guess, since this is an action game with a lot of things going around.
Nero's arm or at least the flashing light is never fully obstructed in DMC4.
Even if what you say is true, then the color-coding could be passed on the HUD.
HUD or indicators in games should be something that can be picked up and confirmed instantly and not prompt players to "have a closer look" to see if the icons, signs or symbols are variations.
It'd be like instead of a more tangible Royal Guard meter (like in DMC4 & DMC5), they reverted back to ambiguous fading orbs in DMC3 and you have to kinda observe how bright the orbs are and have to make sure they're not fading in and out to release a full charge.

Also, it seems that Devil Triggering while Nero is activating Slow World will cancel Slow World altogether.
The game didn't care that you broke Ragtime for the activation.
This explains how some of my Slow World-to-Showdown tactic failed and the boss wakes up faster than I expected.
Be very, very careful.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Even if what you say is true, then the color-coding could be passed on the HUD.

True but then again, not that big of a problem. The only stage you need to recognize is charge shot level 3 and it's very easy to do so, as the HUD glows with a an electric plasma effect only when you reach that level. Level 1 and 2 charges don't really matter. If they did, then it'd be an issue.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
So guys hoping for some differing inputs about tips and strategies when I make the DMC5 enemy and boss guide thread

Since I am on my own for DMC1 and DMC2 currently lol

Foxtrot would love to see your methods for it and DmC too

And I have to do Vergils side of DMC4se still

Man 5 has regenerated my love for this series so much

Made me appreciate it even more

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
It's still a poor design decision, especially considering they had a very instantaneous indicator working in the previous game.
There is and indicator right down the devil trigger state that tell you precisely were level the chorge shot is, and it works just fine... It's instantaneus, if you can't check it it s not a game problem but your observation problem... And it s more easy checking and indicator you can always see instead of looking Nero harm while playing

Last edited:

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
It's still a poor design decision, especially considering they had a very instantaneous indicator working in the previous game.
I mean I just notice how many times the energy on Blue Rose pulses. I mean, I get what you're saying, different colors is a bit easier to know what level it's charged. Still, not too hard to tell though.

Goldsickle

It's instantaneus, if you can't check it it s not a game problem but your observation problem... And it s more easy checking and indicator you can always see instead of looking Nero harm while playing
Your eyes are mostly looking at Nero and the enemies to begin, so seeing Nero's arm is actually more functional then having you to turn your eye to the top left corner of the screen briefly and back to the action.
DMC4's method was practically perfect.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Well you can wear earphones or listen for the audio cue as it charges each level

That way you will know what charge level the gun is at without taking your eyes off the action

Goldsickle

Well you can wear earphones or listen for the audio cue as it charges each level
Sometimes, I lose track of the charge sounds because... well, this is an action game with so many s*** going on and you tend to lose track of things.
I try to count the charges for Blockade as well.
Sometimes I keep track, sometimes I don't and it would be handy if there were some clear indicators or color changes that allows me to know the current charge level instantly.

Look, I don't know why people are "taking offense" to all this but no amount of "it's not a big deal" or offering a "work-around" will change the fact that this is a poorly designed interface.
I'm not even going to hide behind the "my opinion, your opinion", "agree to disagree", etc.
The way this is handled is objectively bad, compared to the practically perfect method back in DMC4.
Even when the staff is HUD-dependent, the one used by Lady is a much more clearer indicator, with three separate lit dots to spell out the charge levels.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
What ef said dude. "taking offense"? Can't speak for everyone else but I literally just said "never had a problem with it"
What with Blue Rose giving off a bright blue flash with each charge

Goldsickle

What ef said dude. "taking offense"? Can't speak for everyone else but I literally just said "never had a problem with it"
What with Blue Rose giving off a bright blue flash with each charge
Color-coded charges are not only a clearer, better indicator but they've done it before, so it boggles my mind why they didn't carry it over.

Vergil95

Your eyes are mostly looking at Nero and the enemies to begin, so seeing Nero's arm is actually more functional then having you to turn your eye to the top left corner of the screen briefly and back to the action.
DMC4's method was practically perfect.
Yeah than why not have a color on Nero when he is low on healt or why not have a color when he is devil trigger can be used XD It's more easy looking at the interface, than looking Nero, when I fight as Nero i jump fight use different technique every time and use jump cancel and didn't have time to look at his arm glowing so I look at a simple interface who is standing right there and is more simple to watch than his harm, at least for me, Infact when I had to use the breaker explosion I had to look at Nero arm glowing and That just take my eye out of the action since it was more easy to have an interface for that... Also there is a sound that they'll you that the harm riches lv 1 2 and 3 and the if you really want to look at the harm the harm is glowing every time he reached a new level... The interface is not bad designed since I played all dmc since I was a kid and have no problem using it, this is just your opinion, probably is you method of playing that doesn't work whit that interface, if I manage to s rank every mission whit Nero whitout taking damage and s rank bloody palace and use the chorge shot during this I think the interface is pretty useful

Last edited:

Goldsickle

if I manage to s rank every mission whit Nero whitout taking damage and s rank bloody palace and use the chorge shot during this I think the interface is pretty useful
I can complete vanilla RE1 under three hours, without the lock-on nor quick turn but I'm not going to go as far as saying "the controls and mechanics are okay the way it is".
Being good at a dysfunctional scheme doesn't change that it's dysfunctional.

It's not an opinion.
One method gives you instant information and the other prompts you to "look closer" for confirmation and the suggested "work-around" to listen to the sounds is not reliable, because as I said, it's easy to lose track of the count, due to the action on screen and various other sounds mixed in.
This includes Blockade 3.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Gotta say, I like the new depth they added to Gunslinger compared to previous games. For the first time the Style actually made Ebony and Ivory unique and different from each other. The fact that you can choose between Ebony's staggering shots and Ivory's rapid fire adds a new layer of strategy. When doing Twosome Time especially, you can decide which pistol fires in which direction, damn neat.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Gotta say, I like the new depth they added to Gunslinger compared to previous games. For the first time the Style actually made Ebony and Ivory unique and actually different from each other. The fact that you can choose between Ebony's staggering shots and Ivory's rapid fire adds a new layer of strategy. When doing Twosome Time especially, you can decide which pistol fires in which direction, damn neat.
So true, I remember reading once that one of the guns was meant for accuracy and power, while the other was for rapid fire, and I just shrugged thinking "They never came across as such in the games". Pretty neat that they actually threw it in.

Vergil95

Gotta say, I like the new depth they added to Gunslinger compared to previous games. For the first time the Style actually made Ebony and Ivory unique and different from each other. The fact that you can choose between Ebony's staggering shots and Ivory's rapid fire adds a new layer of strategy. When doing Twosome Time especially, you can decide which pistol fires in which direction, damn neat.
Yeah I had to say that I use Gunslinger style more often thanks to this, also the first time I played as dante in dmc 5 I switched to gunslinger and shot whit ebony and ivory and I was disappointed because they were not firing rapidly like previous game but than I realize it was the gunslinger who did this because I think they shot like this by default, thank God I changed style and realize everything XD

Vergil95

I can complete vanilla RE1 under three hours, without the lock-on nor quick turn but I'm not going to go as far as saying "the controls and mechanics are okay the way it is".
Being good at a dysfunctional scheme doesn't change that it's dysfunctional.

It's not an opinion.
One method gives you instant information and the other prompts you to "look closer" for confirmation and the suggested "work-around" to listen to the sounds is not reliable, because as I said, it's easy to lose track of the count, due to the action on screen and various other sounds mixed in.
This includes Blockade 3.
Yeah it s an opinion since I can completely play fine by watching at the interface, and use charge shot easy, also how do you play as V? Since you had to constantly look at his interface and dodge especially in Hell and hell mode, you would have preferred a glowing on him that tell you how his familiar life is going? I m going fine whit the interface and you don't so that is you opinion not an absolute thing

Top Bottom