• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Future DMC protagonist ideas?

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
The ball is called a sliotar , the Hurley is the ash stick used

Hurling is thousands of years old , was used as a way to settle differences and also for sport in medieval times

Look into it

It's the fastest field sport on earth and extremely violent , think of mixing gaeilic football , rugby , lacrosse and hockey into one sport with different rules , and the only protection u have is a helmet , which only became a thing in the 90's , people have died over the game due to head injuries

Anyway good write up , I find it strange an outsider is so interested in our legends though lol

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Cu Chulainn for Devil May Cry

Physical appearance

Normal appearance

Normally, Cu Chulainn is of a slight build; small, youthful and beardless. He is shorter than Dante, and possibly Nero as well. Even though athletic, he is also significantly less muscular than either of them, which plays into his playing style. Chulainn has blonde hair, with default hairstyle being a bob cut. Default outfit is a dress shirt, jodhpurs, and jodhpur boots with half-chaps, or alternatively a hoodie and sweatpants.

Unlockables gained based on playthrought performance would give more options. Hairstyles would be expanded, adding long “metalhead” hair, as well as more outfit options.

[Note: Chulainn's beardlessness and general youthfulness is a big factor in his legends, as some opponents would – initially, at least – refuse to fight a “beardless boy”]

Warp spasm

Warp spasm would react in a rather monstruous appearance. Temple-sinews would stretch to the nape of the neck, cheeks would open so that mouth would go back to the end of the jaw, hair would stand up on the head in spikes hard enough to impale a demon. Between spikes there would be lightning arcs. This form is rather monstruous, so it cannot be used while there are other people around, lest he be attacked by the military.

Images

Overall, the closest I can think of for his appearance in game would be Albert from Shingeki No Bahamut / Shadowverse.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/81/1a/40/811a40eb054cc4e3099d3c9cff26b427.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/76/b4/92/76b4929d2145669489736cd15d7188f5.jpg

When it comes to his Warp Spasm appearance (specifics of the ability later), that is harder to determine, but these are some images.

https://linnetmoss.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/stephenthompson.jpg?w=529&h=458

https://cafart.r.worldssl.net/images/Category_1612/subcat_34487/Kendall, Dave -warp spasm Slaine.jpg

There are two reasons why I have gone for an essentially bishounen appearance. First is that it is simply how he is described in the mythology, at least in his younger days. Second is that it contrasts nicely with his Warp Spasm. You can imagine demons going “this kid will be easy to hand... WTF IS THAT?!?”

Personality

Cu Chulainn is normally calm and collected person. When in combat, however, he is prone to giving in to anger, particularly if somebody he cares about had been hurt – even to the point of turning into a berserker. He is also confident in his own abilities, and always seeks to prove himself against ever more powerful opponents – be it in a practice fight or a life-or-death combat.

He has a very dry and sardonic sense of humor, to the point that half the time at least, other people do not even realize he is telling a joke.

History

Cu Chulainn left demon world after meeting a human girl and falling in love with her. He promised to meet her again after he had found a way to control his warp spasms.

Combat abilities

General description

Compared to Dante and Nero, Cu Chulainn is of much slighter build – somewhat muscular, but not that much more massive than DMC5s V. This translates into his combat style: attacks are based around speed, maneuverability and combos. Offensively, he relies on relatively weaker but very quick attacks, more akin to rapier fencing than anything else. Defensively, he suffers from increased knockback effects, requiring him to either redirect enemy attacks with well-timed counters (pressing offensive key right before enemy attack connects) or by evading them. Stronger enemies are also able to outright break through any passive block, again leading to importance of redirection and evasion.

Red Rage

When Chulainn's health drops below 10%, he enters the “Red Rage”. In this state, his health slowly regenerates until it reaches a predetermined point (50% for starting point, upgrades via Red Orbs can push it up to 100%). This state significantly changes gameplay: his attacks become much more powerful but also much slower. He loses the ability to evade attacks, but gains the ability to block them without knockback effect.

Warp Spasm

Warp Spasm is present in the place of Devil Trigger, and it does a complete 180 on Chulainn's combat style. In this form, he uses no weapons, and much like the Red Rage, he cannot evade attacks but can block them without knockback effect.

Weapons

Culainn has three basic weapons: a sword, a spear, and a sling. All three start as normal weapons, but can be upgraded with lightning-based attacks.

Spear is used in three basic ways:
  • normal melee attacks
    • stabbing
    • slashing
    • striking with a shaft
  • electrified melee attacks
    • able to stun all non-electric enemies, for anywhere between 0,1 and 4 seconds depending on opponent's size
    • require built-up charge and precise timing
    • charge is built up by killing demons
  • ranged electric attacks
    • able to stun groups of enemies, but for no more than a second
    • significantly reduced damage
    • range of 12 meters
Later he acquires Gae Bulg, a throwing spear made of the bone of a water demon which lodges itself inside the target and lets out barbs which completely skewer the target in question.

RL resource:
http://mural.maynoothuniversity.ie/5192/1/Lisa_Gibney_20140711110039.pdf

Like I said, alter the name. Make Cu Chulainn his demon name.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
How about a Chinese protagonist or anti-hero?

Lu Bu
latest

Picard

Starfleet Demon
Like I said, alter the name. Make Cu Chulainn his demon name.

Well, in legends his name was apparently Sétanta. So I can use that for human name.

EDIT:
How about a Chinese protagonist or anti-hero?

Lu Bu

Would be good. Maybe have his family have a tradition of demon hunting stretching back thousands of years, and he is now going around educating prospective demon hunters?

EDIT2:
The ball is called a sliotar , the Hurley is the ash stick used

Hurling is thousands of years old , was used as a way to settle differences and also for sport in medieval times

Look into it

It's the fastest field sport on earth and extremely violent , think of mixing gaeilic football , rugby , lacrosse and hockey into one sport with different rules , and the only protection u have is a helmet , which only became a thing in the 90's , people have died over the game due to head injuries

Anyway good write up , I find it strange an outsider is so interested in our legends though lol

Thanks. Sounds interesting.

I find it strange that more people are not, even what little I had read of Irish mythology so far is quite interesting. Though it did start with interest in Irish music, followed by language (though I decided it would be too difficult to learn for me), and then legends.

Last edited:

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
The language has 4 dialects and to someone not native would be ludicrous hard to learn

Sétanta is a very ancient name , Irish names do not sound at all like they are spelt

My first name has been pronounced wrong so many times

So as a habit , I give Irish speakers the English of my name as that's easier

But my actual first name is in gaeilge

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Initially, I thought about doing a Japanese hunter who fights with his familiars. I was going to use the dog/bird/monkey of the Momotaro fable and switching animals is like switching styles.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
How about a Wolverine-type demon hunter? From the old Sega game Altered Beast I thought of putting it's concept into DMC. Change into a chimera as its DT.

latest

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
I'm working on adapting/expanding my original idea, but it has gone way beyond just protagonist idea, so when I finish I think I'll be posting it in a new thread.

How about more demon hunters of your own too?

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Will it be that Celtic mythlore thread , I will enjoy reading that lol

So much made up information on Celtic creatures

And of course the fact that Celtic and Gael mythlore are different but people take Celtic as being a representative of Irish demonology etc

If it's not that Picard then ignore this lol

As for my next idea for a protagonist, I like the idea of something akin to the dragon lineage in ninja gaiden

So a family line like that in DMC and the new protagonist is a half demon half dragon

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Will it be that Celtic mythlore thread , I will enjoy reading that lol

So much made up information on Celtic creatures

And of course the fact that Celtic and Gael mythlore are different but people take Celtic as being a representative of Irish demonology etc

If it's not that Picard then ignore this lol

As for my next idea for a protagonist, I like the idea of something akin to the dragon lineage in ninja gaiden

So a family line like that in DMC and the new protagonist is a half demon half dragon

Do dragons even exist in a way in DMC?

And isn't DMC Christianity and others relating to it?

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
This is a hypothetical thread isn't it , as in what we would like to see and what ideas we would have

I'm not saying it would end up in a game , it's just a what if scenario

Also leviathan was a dragon type being and it's in DMC

Sparda Dt in DMC1 shoots a dragon out at mundus during their end fight

Echidna was called a dragon in 4 if I'm not mistaken

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Lady's comment about "settling down" makes me want to see her setting up an academy which teaches police and/or military how to handle demons and she could loan out students that show talent to study under Nero and that's how a new playable character makes their debut. Together Lady, Nero and the newbie (Crew Cut) hold back a new demonic invasion as humanity copes in this Brave New World where demons have become much more common.

Trish could be touring places that supposedly have strong ties to the Demon World, looking for a portal to get Dante out when she hears a distress call and a portal opens up. Reluctantly she jumps in but the person on the other side isn't Dante but a human that got stuck in the Demon World and has been surviving in there ever since and together they look for a way out. Trish notes the irony of her being a demon that lives amongst humans whilst meeting a human that's lived amongst demons, and questions her existence without Dante since that was what she was created for and the journey becomes a quest of self-discovery for both of them.

Just two ideas off the top of my head. The possibilities are endless, even without relying on Sparda you can easily craft interesting narratives using what we already have. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom