• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Future DMC protagonist ideas?

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Well here is where I would be smart , he has a glimmer

So only clairvoyants and demons or cambions could see his demon form, and animals could sense it

To humans he would look human , and he can erase memories

But something goes wrong and he gets exposed so he has to go through a lot but ends up with humans on his side eventually

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
How about a human taking on demon armor with the power of a Devil Arm-like medallion? Though, it'll cause him to slowly go demon.

Picard

Starfleet Demon
Well here is where I would be smart , he has a glimmer

So only clairvoyants and demons or cambions could see his demon form, and animals could sense it

To humans he would look human , and he can erase memories

But something goes wrong and he gets exposed so he has to go through a lot but ends up with humans on his side eventually

That could work. Demon-detecting dog, anyone? And for "something goes wrong", you could have interaction with a Devil Arm or something that due to circumstances results in him losing control of his demonic powers, causing massive property damage and potentially even deaths. So you have a good reason for him to be hunted, and for him trying to atone and prevent something like that from happening ever again. And he pretty much has to do some major heroic deed before becoming accepted.

It would also cause him to resent his demonic heritage, starting off fighting only with normal weapons, but gradually coming to accept his nature as a demon - which would manifest itself in unlocking new powers.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
But here's the thing. He looks blind on the outside, but behind those glasses are actually demon eyes. The glasses he wears will dampen their unstable power, at the cost of his sight. He'll fight blind, but he'll take them off if necessary. Every demon he faces, will give his eyes special powers. Changing their shape.
What are his powers like?

Picard

Starfleet Demon
Okay, I had an idea...

Cu Chulainn as a protagonist. (And now I just realized Ronin mentioned it in OP, but whatever, onto details).

Basically, Cu Chulainn is a hero from Irish mythology. He is nearly-unique among heroes due to his riastrad, or warp spasm. Riastrad is described thusly:

http://adminstaff.vassar.edu/sttaylor/Cooley/ScythedChariot.html

"Then took place the first twisting-fit and rage of the royal hero Cuchulain, so that he made a terrible, many-shaped, wonderful, unheard of thing of himself. His flesh trembled about him like a pole against the torrent or like a bulrush against the stream, every member and every joint and every point and every knuckle of him from crown to ground. He made a mad whirling-feat of his body within his hide. His feet and his shins and his knees slid so that they came behind him. His heels and his calves and his hams shifted so that they passed to the front. The muscles of his calves moved so that they came to the front of his shins, so that each huge knot was the size of a soldier's balled fist. He stretched the sinews of his head so that they stood out on the nape of his neck, hill-like lumps, huge, incalculable, vast, immeasurable and as large as the head of a month-old child.

He next made a ruddy bowl of his face and his countenance. He gulped down one eye into his head so that it would be hard work if a wild crane succeeded in drawing it out on to the middle of his cheek from the rear of his skull. Its mate sprang forth till it came out on his cheek. His mouth was distorted monstrously. He drew the cheek from the jaw-bone so that the interior of his throat was to be seen. His lungs and his lights stood out so that they fluttered in his mouth and his gullet. He struck a mad lion's blow with the upper jaw on its fellow so that as large as a wether's fleece of a three year old was each red, fiery flake which his teeth forced into his mouth from his gullet.

There was heard the loud clap of his heart against his breast like the yelp of a howling bloodhound or like a lion going among bears. There were seen the torches of the Badb, and the rain clouds of poison, and the sparks of glowing-red fire, blazing and flashing in hazes and mists over his head with the seething of the truly wild wrath that rose up above him. His hair bristled all over his head like branches of a redthorn thrust into a gap in a great hedge. Had a king's apple-tree laden with royal fruit been shaken around him, scarce an apple of them all would have passed over him to the ground, but rather would an apple have stayed stuck on each single hair there, for the twisting of the anger which met it as it rose from his hair above him.

The Lon Laith ('Champion's Light') stood out of his forehead, so that it was as long and as thick as a warrior's whetstone. As high, as thick, as strong, as steady, as long as the sail-tree of some huge prime ship was the straight spout of dark blood which arose right on high from the very ridge-pole of his crown, so that a black fog of witchery was made thereof like to the smoke from a king's hostel what time the king comes to be ministered to at nightfall of a winter's day."

So yeah... Devil May Cry meets Eldrich Abomination. Within context of Devil May Cry, I would make Chulainn a full demon, who has fallen in love with a human girl (kinda like Sparda). But his demonic side doesn't really agree, so he has to leave her in order to find a way to control the spasms (kinda reverse of Nero and Kyrie plot... lol). Now, these spasms would be random, and when they happen, there are two possibilities: Chulainn remains in control, or he does not. If he does remain in control, he can trash demons like crazy. If not, well... he goes insane, and it is either game over, or player actually loses control of the character.

BTW:
http://badassoftheweek.com/cuchulainn.html

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Okay, I had an idea...

Cu Chulainn as a protagonist. (And now I just realized Ronin mentioned it in OP, but whatever, onto details).

Basically, Cu Chulainn is a hero from Irish mythology. He is nearly-unique among heroes due to his riastrad, or warp spasm. Riastrad is described thusly:

"Then took place the first twisting-fit and rage of the royal hero Cuchulain, so that he made a terrible, many-shaped, wonderful, unheard of thing of himself. His flesh trembled about him like a pole against the torrent or like a bulrush against the stream, every member and every joint and every point and every knuckle of him from crown to ground. He made a mad whirling-feat of his body within his hide. His feet and his shins and his knees slid so that they came behind him. His heels and his calves and his hams shifted so that they passed to the front. The muscles of his calves moved so that they came to the front of his shins, so that each huge knot was the size of a soldier's balled fist. He stretched the sinews of his head so that they stood out on the nape of his neck, hill-like lumps, huge, incalculable, vast, immeasurable and as large as the head of a month-old child.

He next made a ruddy bowl of his face and his countenance. He gulped down one eye into his head so that it would be hard work if a wild crane succeeded in drawing it out on to the middle of his cheek from the rear of his skull. Its mate sprang forth till it came out on his cheek. His mouth was distorted monstrously. He drew the cheek from the jaw-bone so that the interior of his throat was to be seen. His lungs and his lights stood out so that they fluttered in his mouth and his gullet. He struck a mad lion's blow with the upper jaw on its fellow so that as large as a wether's fleece of a three year old was each red, fiery flake which his teeth forced into his mouth from his gullet.

There was heard the loud clap of his heart against his breast like the yelp of a howling bloodhound or like a lion going among bears. There were seen the torches of the Badb, and the rain clouds of poison, and the sparks of glowing-red fire, blazing and flashing in hazes and mists over his head with the seething of the truly wild wrath that rose up above him. His hair bristled all over his head like branches of a redthorn thrust into a gap in a great hedge. Had a king's apple-tree laden with royal fruit been shaken around him, scarce an apple of them all would have passed over him to the ground, but rather would an apple have stayed stuck on each single hair there, for the twisting of the anger which met it as it rose from his hair above him.

The Lon Laith ('Champion's Light') stood out of his forehead, so that it was as long and as thick as a warrior's whetstone. As high, as thick, as strong, as steady, as long as the sail-tree of some huge prime ship was the straight spout of dark blood which arose right on high from the very ridge-pole of his crown, so that a black fog of witchery was made thereof like to the smoke from a king's hostel what time the king comes to be ministered to at nightfall of a winter's day."

So yeah... Devil May Cry meets Eldrich Abomination. Within context of Devil May Cry, I would make Chulainn a full demon, who has fallen in love with a human girl (kinda like Sparda). But his demonic side doesn't really agree, so he has to leave her in order to find a way to control the spasms (kinda reverse of Nero and Kyrie plot... lol). Now, these spasms would be random, and when they happen, there are two possibilities: Chulainn remains in control, or he does not. If he does remain in control, he can trash demons like crazy. If not, well... he goes insane, and it is either game over, or player actually loses control of the character.

BTW:
http://badassoftheweek.com/cuchulainn.html

Sounds interesting with a Hulk vibe. What would be he specialties in combating demons?

Picard

Starfleet Demon
Sounds interesting with a Hulk vibe. What would be he specialties in combating demons?

Specialties as in fighting stype?

I would have him use two primary styles, depending on the form:
1) Normal form. This would be like classical Devil May Cry swordfighting: quick, may or may not be nedlessly flashy, but overall relies on speed and combos. He would be big on evasion, and in fact I would probably have him be somewhat more fragile - at least in terms of vulnerability to knockback and such - than Dante or Nero, so as to increase difference with Warp Spasm form. Consequently, upgrades would focus on faster combos, increased movement speed, and teleportation.
2) Warp Spasm form. In this form, he would lose any super-speed abilities, possibly the ability to jump as well, but would gain power, resistance, and regenerating health. Attacks would be primarily physical, Hulk Smash! style, albeit lot more varied. As upgrades, he would gain the ability to manipulate his own flesh, form armour and various limb attachments, Prototype-style (blades, claws, mace etc.). This form would be good for dealing with large groups of close-range opponents, but vulnerable to ranged enemies.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Specialties as in fighting stype?

I would have him use two primary styles, depending on the form:
1) Normal form. This would be like classical Devil May Cry swordfighting: quick, may or may not be nedlessly flashy, but overall relies on speed and combos. He would be big on evasion, and in fact I would probably have him be somewhat more fragile - at least in terms of vulnerability to knockback and such - than Dante or Nero, so as to increase difference with Warp Spasm form. Consequently, upgrades would focus on faster combos, increased movement speed, and teleportation.
2) Warp Spasm form. In this form, he would lose any super-speed abilities, possibly the ability to jump as well, but would gain power, resistance, and regenerating health. Attacks would be primarily physical, Hulk Smash! style, albeit lot more varied. As upgrades, he would gain the ability to manipulate his own flesh, form armour and various limb attachments, Prototype-style (blades, claws, mace etc.). This form would be good for dealing with large groups of close-range opponents, but vulnerable to ranged enemies.

Interesting. Does he have melee weaponry & firearms?

You forgot about his appearance - what he looks like and he wears, & character personality.

Plus with that legend, how about altering the name to something modern? Cu Chulainn can be his demon name, but what would be his other name in human form? Cain or Caleb?

Last edited:

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Lol Picard , cu hitting the sliotars into the wolves mouths is myth man

Just like st Patrick being Irish is a myth as he was french and his colour was blue

And leprechauns are actually demons who fed on kids

I am from iveragh peninsula in Ireland , it's a ghaeltacht area , as gaeilge Irish is my first language and English is m second

Don't take any of the legends here seriously, Ireland has Gaels and Celts , which are very different

The Celtic mythlore and Gael mythlore aren't part of the same thing as Celts were invaders and settlers who integrated

Cu isn't the best one of the myths/legends here either

Just wanted to clear that up

But it's nice to see him mentioned all the same

Go raibh míle maith agat mo chara :D

Agus

muinín dom, tá a lán mearbhaill agus eolais bhréige faoi stair agus faoi mhiotas na hÉireann

Last edited:

Picard

Starfleet Demon
Interesting. Does he have melee weaponry & firearms?

You forgot about his appearance - what he looks like and he wears, & character personality.

Plus with that legend, how about altering the name to something modern? Cu Chulainn can be his demon name, but what would be his other name in human form? Cain or Caleb?

No, he would not have firearms. Weapons would be his actual weapons from mythology. His primary weapon would be Gae Bolga, which is a lightning spear; when using it, he would have three forms of attacks: normal melee attacks (stabbing, slashing with tip, striking with a shaft), electrified melee attacks (similar to Red Queen's Exceed, but these would temporarily stun all non-electric enemies, and would require both built-up charge and precise timing on attacks similar to Ex-Act - and charge would be built up by killing demons), and ranged electric attacks (much weaker than electrified melee, or even normal melee, much reduced stun effect, and range of no more than dozen meters, but when upgraded, capable of affecting groups of enemies). Second weapon would be a sling, which unlike the spear would have significant range - few dozen meters in direct line at least, few hundred meters in arc - and would also be capable of receiving "lightning stone" upgrade, which would allow it to stun and/or damage enemies with electric discharge upon hit. When in Warp Spasm form, he would lose weapons, but gain much more powerful and longer-ranged electric attacks, and would be able to stun enemies with them. He would also grow claws and be able to use clawed attacks.

Appearance, well, he is mentioned in mythology as small, youthful and beardless even in adulthood; a "pretty boy" archetype. So I would have him be, not necessarily obviously short - although definitely shorter than Dante, so maybe around or slightly below Nero's height - but of a slight though athletic build (so ottermode), which will play into his playstyle: as I already mentioned, his physical playstyle would be based more on speed and evasion, and he would suffer from greater knockback effects than Dante, Vergil or Nero, so player would have to be more careful about rushing head-on. He would have either black or blonde hair - he is described with both in mythology, but I am leaning towards blonde. Another possibility is from yet another description, three coloured hair so that it is "brown at the base, blood-red in the middle and crown of golden yellow", but I do not like that as it would go completely against the point of hiding in human form. As for clothes, I'm not sure - maybe a hoodie and sweatpants; or something reminiscent of riding outfit - a dress shirt, jodhpurs, and jodhpur boots with half-chaps. Or have one outfit be "default" and second one unlocked upon beating the game for the first time. All of this will serve to contrast huge, monster-Hulk-style warp spasm form.

Personality, he would normally be calm and collected, and prone to saying ridiculous things in a completely serious deadpan manner of adress simply to screw with his enemies (yes that is my favourite style of humour, though I admit jokes told in such a way may fly over players' heads). However, when he does flip, he would become basically a berserker. Kinda like in those Chuck Norris jokes ("Chuck Norris has only two speeds: walking and killing").

Lol Picard , cu hitting the sliotars into the wolves mouths is myth man

Just like st Patrick being Irish is a myth as he was french and his colour was blue

And leprechauns are actually demons who fed on kids

I am from iveragh peninsula in Ireland , it's a ghaeltacht area , as gaeilge Irish is my first language and English is m second

Don't take any of the legends here seriously, Ireland has Gaels and Celts , which are very different

The Celtic mythlore and Gael mythlore aren't part of the same thing as Celts were invaders and settlers who integrated

Cu isn't the best one of the myths/legends here either

Just wanted to clear that up

But it's nice to see him mentioned all the same

Go raibh míle maith agat mo chara :D

Agus

muinín dom, tá a lán mearbhaill agus eolais bhréige faoi stair agus faoi mhiotas na hÉireann

I'm going by what I had found on Internet about good ol' CC. But I did like what little I had read from Irish mythology, so if you know some good sites on that, can you PM me?

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Anything I know about mythology here I learned in gaeilscoil, from grandparents and elderly , and from books here Picard

Don't know any sites , plus like with the language Google always gets it wrong anyway

In fact IL be very surprised if Google translates what I said in as gaeilge correctly

Picard

Starfleet Demon
Anything I know about mythology here I learned in gaeilscoil, from grandparents and elderly , and from books here Picard

Don't know any sites , plus like with the language Google always gets it wrong anyway

In fact IL be very surprised if Google translates what I said in as gaeilge correctly

I managed to find this, though:

Maybe I should start Irish mythology thread, but I'll do it after I flesh out this idea of Cu Chulainn as DMC character.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I wouldn't bother with that as nobody here will understand it and I all u get is from websites then most won't be authentic

A lot of it is only made up since the 20th century too and not as I said authentic

And America came up with a fair bit of it that just isn't true

Be a waste of a thread lol , I mean they still think leprechauns are nice and have pots of gold

Which is bs

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
All the other continents, maybe setup safe zones in the demon world and come up with transport technology to get in and out of it

Picard

Starfleet Demon
Cu Chulainn for Devil May Cry

Physical appearance

Normal appearance

Normally, Cu Chulainn is of a slight build; small, youthful and beardless. He is shorter than Dante, and possibly Nero as well. Even though athletic, he is also significantly less muscular than either of them, which plays into his playing style. Chulainn has blonde hair, with default hairstyle being a bob cut. Default outfit is a dress shirt, jodhpurs, and jodhpur boots with half-chaps, or alternatively a hoodie and sweatpants.

Unlockables gained based on playthrought performance would give more options. Hairstyles would be expanded, adding long “metalhead” hair, as well as more outfit options.

[Note: Chulainn's beardlessness and general youthfulness is a big factor in his legends, as some opponents would – initially, at least – refuse to fight a “beardless boy”]

Warp spasm

Warp spasm would react in a rather monstruous appearance. Temple-sinews would stretch to the nape of the neck, cheeks would open so that mouth would go back to the end of the jaw, hair would stand up on the head in spikes hard enough to impale a demon. Between spikes there would be lightning arcs. This form is rather monstruous, so it cannot be used while there are other people around, lest he be attacked by the military.

Images

Overall, the closest I can think of for his appearance in game would be Albert from Shingeki No Bahamut / Shadowverse.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/81/1a/40/811a40eb054cc4e3099d3c9cff26b427.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/76/b4/92/76b4929d2145669489736cd15d7188f5.jpg

When it comes to his Warp Spasm appearance (specifics of the ability later), that is harder to determine, but these are some images.

https://linnetmoss.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/stephenthompson.jpg?w=529&h=458

https://cafart.r.worldssl.net/images/Category_1612/subcat_34487/Kendall, Dave -warp spasm Slaine.jpg

There are two reasons why I have gone for an essentially bishounen appearance. First is that it is simply how he is described in the mythology, at least in his younger days. Second is that it contrasts nicely with his Warp Spasm. You can imagine demons going “this kid will be easy to hand... WTF IS THAT?!?”

Personality

Cu Chulainn is normally calm and collected person. When in combat, however, he is prone to giving in to anger, particularly if somebody he cares about had been hurt – even to the point of turning into a berserker. He is also confident in his own abilities, and always seeks to prove himself against ever more powerful opponents – be it in a practice fight or a life-or-death combat.

He has a very dry and sardonic sense of humor, to the point that half the time at least, other people do not even realize he is telling a joke.

History

Cu Chulainn left demon world after meeting a human girl and falling in love with her. He promised to meet her again after he had found a way to control his warp spasms.

Combat abilities

General description

Compared to Dante and Nero, Cu Chulainn is of much slighter build – somewhat muscular, but not that much more massive than DMC5s V. This translates into his combat style: attacks are based around speed, maneuverability and combos. Offensively, he relies on relatively weaker but very quick attacks, more akin to rapier fencing than anything else. Defensively, he suffers from increased knockback effects, requiring him to either redirect enemy attacks with well-timed counters (pressing offensive key right before enemy attack connects) or by evading them. Stronger enemies are also able to outright break through any passive block, again leading to importance of redirection and evasion.

Red Rage

When Chulainn's health drops below 10%, he enters the “Red Rage”. In this state, his health slowly regenerates until it reaches a predetermined point (50% for starting point, upgrades via Red Orbs can push it up to 100%). This state significantly changes gameplay: his attacks become much more powerful but also much slower. He loses the ability to evade attacks, but gains the ability to block them without knockback effect.

Warp Spasm

Warp Spasm is present in the place of Devil Trigger, and it does a complete 180 on Chulainn's combat style. In this form, he uses no weapons, and much like the Red Rage, he cannot evade attacks but can block them without knockback effect.

Weapons

Culainn has three basic weapons: a sword, a spear, and a sling. All three start as normal weapons, but can be upgraded with lightning-based attacks.

Spear is used in three basic ways:
  • normal melee attacks
    • stabbing
    • slashing
    • striking with a shaft
  • electrified melee attacks
    • able to stun all non-electric enemies, for anywhere between 0,1 and 4 seconds depending on opponent's size
    • require built-up charge and precise timing
    • charge is built up by killing demons
  • ranged electric attacks
    • able to stun groups of enemies, but for no more than a second
    • significantly reduced damage
    • range of 12 meters
Later he acquires Gae Bulg, a throwing spear made of the bone of a water demon which lodges itself inside the target and lets out barbs which completely skewer the target in question.

RL resource:
http://mural.maynoothuniversity.ie/5192/1/Lisa_Gibney_20140711110039.pdf

Top Bottom