• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Final Verdict (may contain spoilers)

tatsumarublack

Legendary Dark Knight
@tatsumarublack
Feel free to add what you don't like about DMC5. Despite it probably being my favorite, I have some reservation about it as well.

Okay. It's actually quite alot, I'll try not to go toooo long. One of the things leading up to this games release that I was concerned about and even voiced it on my channel, was that alot of what was revealed with Dante was kept to a minimum in regards to his styles. I was afraid that due to not receiving much information on what had changed with the styles, that we were getting basically the same thing from DMC4. That intuition was revealed to be true when finally having full access to the game. On the surface, nothing has changed with the styles. We still have the same moveset with little addition, with the exception being swordmaster and gunslinger due to them having new ranged and melee weapons. So since I led with the styles, I'll breakdown a bit of what I perceive is wrong with each of them.

Trickster. Trickster received the least amount of love in DMC5, and is actually nerfed from DMC4. The ground dashes are slower and have more recovery time that can't be cancelled out of quickly unless you do another dash, but thats still rather slow. Compared to DMC3's upgraded up to 3 ground dashes in quick succession, or DMC4's ability to cancel ground dash quickly into a guard or DT'd infinite quick dashes its very disappointing. Skystar has also been severely nerfed as it has lots of recovery time that can only be cancelled quickly by a jumpcancel or a gun/sword move. This may not seem so bad until you try doing little quirky things such as skystar into air guard. In DMC4 it's possible to do this and use the invincibility frames from skystar to setup a perfect block with RG, in DMC5 it's possible but with severe lagtime and no use as you will not be able to attain a perfect block due to the recovery time. DT'ed air trick has been nerfed, and doesn't travel nearly the distance as it used to in DMC4. Enemy run is still as useless as it was in DMC4. Awesome old moves such as Wall run continue to be missing for whatever odd decisions and there are NO new moves for Trickster at all. Trickster also has the least to gain by upgrading it. In fact, it's "coveted" level 4 upgrade is simply ground trick....and thats it. That's terrible.

Gunslinger. Gunslinger is the next style that really didn't receive alot of love, unless you are using the Faust hat or the Kalinna Ann. Those are "new weapons" (Of course Kalinna Ann was in DMC3, but it wasn't in DMC4). Ebony and Ivory in gunslinger are just as weak as if they weren't in the style. Auto-charged shots is an ok idea, but since they are essentially useless especially compared to Nero's Blue Rose it's rather pointless and no good. I understand the idea behind their implementation of Twosome Time, shoot button controlling one gun and the style button controlling the other...but the execution is horrendous and it's no wonder nobody really uses it in gameplay. Besides auto-charged shot, Ebony and Ivory received nothing new in terms of moves. Nothing. The shotgun received a tiny bit more love than EnI as it got one new move, that being the slide into a shotgun fire...but thats essentially it. Fireworks knocks enemies back and while this makes sense to a degree, it would've been great to add exceptions like DMC4 did. For ex, if a enemy has armor in DMC4 the knockback is negated and you can combo them like you were using rainstorm. If an enemy has armor like the knights in DMC5 and you use fireworks or a shot from the shotty, they still go flying back, unless they're a very large enemy. Another exception should be made for when enemies are DT'ed as well. They should have more resistance to being knocked back by shotgun shots just like they have resistance to being launched by your weapons. Imo, even with the new sliding shot move with the Shotty, it still lacks innovation and freshness. I can't really complain about the Faust hat or Kalinna Ann as they are fine to me.

Royal Guard. Royal Guard is a hit and a miss. I'm not too fond of the idea that its been made a lot easier to use and is way more forgiving than DMC3 and DMC4, but I understand the reasoning behind it and I'm fine with it. That said, jump guard and jump release in this game are mediocre to borderline bad. Due to the floatiness of the guard and the weirdness of the way the camera works, there's been way too many times where I've missed a perfect jump guard or a jump air release and I'm puzzled. There's also moments where I've hit my air jump release and it does it but the damage isn't applied due to what I suppose is Dante not truly hitting the hitbox of a particular enemy. Roll guarding is basically nonexistant and terrible. If you want to know what this is, it's basically using the invincibility frames from a roll and cancelling it with a guard to setup perfect blocks. Cancelling guard from a roll in DMC5 is one of the ugliest things I've seen lol. Using Royal Guard to cancel moves has also taken a huge stepback as its nowhere near as fluid as in previous games and the recovery time is huge. I do however like the new addition of the Royal Revenge counter move....however even with this, I still crave more from this style.

Swordmaster. Swordmaster received the most love due to it having the best melee weapons selection that Dante has had since DMC3. There's really not too much I can find wrong here. I would say that I'm not too fond of the way they implemented real impact, but besides that I like the Balrog alot. And Dante's swordmanship probably could use some updating as he still uses the exact same moves from DMC4 even Dance Macabre is copied and pasted. I would've liked to see a bit more extension to his sword basic combos much like what Nero received. Maybe having Sparda be slightly more weighty, but packing more of a punch with damage would be a good idea. Also giving it, it's own combos to differentiate it from the Rebellion...and some new style moves as well. I love what they did with the Cerberus, so no complaints there. Cavalier is ok, I'm not too much of a fan since it's extremely slow but it has moves that I do like to use when I'm playing.

Sidenotes on Dante. For whatever reason we're still missing wildstomp which could've been a cool addition to gunslinger. Free ride, which could've been a cool addition to Trickster if they wanted to do that. Pole play, which could've been a cool addition to trickster as well instead of a mini gimmick move with Cerberus in Swordmaster. Free ride, which would've been a great thing for Dante to do and given him an answer to Nero's cool rocket arm skateboarding. It's disappointing. I feel like after 11 years, we deserved more than what we got.

Nero. Overall Nero is in tip top form. They really went all out to make sure he was alot more indepth than he was in DMC4 and I commend them for that. My only gripes with him is that I wish he had at least one more ranged and melee weapon to switch between, and I also believe that they should've given you the ability to switch between devil breakers instead of using them up just to switch to another. I thought we might get that, after the ending of the game where Nico hands Nero the "prototype" but that ended up just being a glove pretty much and nothing more. I understand it brings a certain amount of strategy to figuring out which ones you want to use for each encounter, but at least make it a reward for beating DMD or something so that players can go crazy switching between their favorite breakers without having to spend them and go through the breaker animation every time.

V. I actually like V, which surprised me. I just wish they would've given him more to work with. It's pretty difficult to make playing with V look stylish and he basically boils down to finding interesting ways to juggle with Shadow and Griffon, since he has little moves to actually jump cancel with.

Level Design. Alot of people are praising this game because of its beautiful graphics and gameplay. It is beautiful, and that's not really something that can be disputed. But, we were in the demonic tree way too much. We fought Urizen way too many times. The best designed stage imo, is the demo / mission 2 stage and its no wonder they chose that one to use as a demo because of it. I think maybe mission 12 with Dante is probably the next best one.

Storywise. It's ok. To me they basically ripped DMC3's story and added Nero. Instead of Arkham however, in his place you have V who is the guy that uses demonic magic and entices Dante into a rumble with his brother who has erected a large object in the middle of town that threatens the world in pursuit of power. He also pretends to be a weak frail person V / Jester / Arkham until he reaches his goal and becomes a baddy that you fight against. Resurrected Vergil / Imperfect Sparda Arkham

Content. Overall I think this game is lacking in this regard. You have very little reward for beating each difficulty besides access to DT for Nero, achievements/trophies, and Super Dante / Nero / V. In DMC3 you are given a costume for every single difficulty except for maybe easy iirc. And yeah, some of the costumes are basic as in shirtless dante, or coatless dmc1 dante...but it was still something. They could've easily done the same in this game. Such as giving us hoodie Nero...(making Nero keep his hood on even if he gets hit), or coatless DMC5 Dante...which would be very easy to do. Seeing DMC3 Dante rendered with these beautiful graphics, or DMC4 Dante, DMC4 Nero...it would be amazing. Hopefully we get these, plus Turbo mode and other incentives for continuing to play the game in the inevitable DLC / Special Edition that is coming.

Anyways, I could go on, but for now I'll keep it there. Overall I do like the game. I do think it's better than DMC4 overall, with a 8/10 grading for it. I just expect way more, especially since this is 11 years in the making.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I agree with a lot of that , I wanted level 5 styles with expanded abilities

But the fact it was 4"s styles with a few extras didn't put any dampener on it for me

Still a solid 9.5 for me with very small gripes

I wish it had more than 20 missions being the biggest

tatsumarublack

Legendary Dark Knight
I agree with a lot of that , I wanted level 5 styles with expanded abilities

But the fact it was 4"s styles with a few extras didn't put any dampener on it for me

Still a solid 9.5 for me with very small gripes

I wish it had more than 20 missions being the biggest

It wouldn't have been as much of a dampener if they had executed them as good as they did in DMC4. But they didn't. If this had been released 2-3 years after DMC4 it wouldn't have been as much of a dampener either...but, this is 11 years later. The expectation for me is alot higher lol, I respect your opinion tho.

@tatsumarublack I definitely agree on stages and fights with Urizen. I hope in DMC6 would be far less of something-something demonic looking walls..

Yeah, that was one of the things that DMC4 was knocked on. Being repetitive and using same bosses and levels again and again. I think DMC5 gets away with it, at least in regards to mainstream public opinion because it is such a beautiful looking game and they disguise it a bit by working it into the story, showing different events out of order and from different perspectives. Also because most of the general public aren't going to play this game multiple times, so issues like that probably aren't going to hit them as much.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Yeah, that was one of the things that DMC4 was knocked on. Being repetitive and using same bosses and levels again and again. I think DMC5 gets away with it, at least in regards to mainstream public opinion because it is such a beautiful looking game and they disguise it a bit by working it into the story, showing different events out of order and from different perspectives. Also because most of the general public aren't going to play this game multiple times, so issues like that probably aren't going to hit them as much.
I think DMCv gets pass, because technically all those levels are different. IT's rather visual side that's a problem ...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
They're only holding bloody palace back to flesh it out more. Since it's free that's not much of a con. I'd rather have it done right. But if they add a timer that counts down again (which I think they are) I'm conning the hell out of that.

As for difficulty curves it's not JUST DMC games. It's also plenty of others as well. Ranging from Assassins Creed to Dark Souls among others. If anyone plays any 3rd person hack and slash games at all (and play on difficulties above easy) then DH difficulty is easy. You can pretty much just spam attacks and make the bare minimum of dodging. You can even just stand there as V while spamming attacks (seriously, I've taunted for ages and not get hit just by spam attacking. There I am chilling playing my cane as a violin for ages in a mob). Enemies recoil more easily too. Once you crank it up to sparda though the enemy starts fighting back properly. DH is basically "Learn the controls first" (except you learn how to spam instead? Sparda difficulty MAKES you learn) Which makes human difficulty laughable in that regard. But I guess if someone never played an action game in their life they might need that difficulty setting.

The difficulties for the most part of kind of a "trend" at this point. Same ones are kept. It was a trend that was actually broken somewhat between 3 and 5 since DMD mode was too easy. But 5 brings back the difficulty that 3 had. I think Capcom was afraid of being too harsh with DMD mode (like Halo 2's legendary which was unfair while Halo 1 was very hard but in a balanced way). Now that we know 5 is "Hard but fair" on Dante must die mode they should be able to do the same with 6. There's also sparda difficulty but that's been a bit "here and there". With 4 having tons of enemies (which I quite enjoyed) and 5 simply upping difficulty in general.

Dante must die mode on DMC6 as Virgil with yamato and teleport powers again? Yes please! At the very least he better be in bloody palace.

Bloody palace has a timer on it. I am not sure if you're able to turn it off like in DmC.

I am a stickler for content; especially how things were back before the 360 got started. In today's age, there is no reason for costumes, and extra modes to not already be in a single player game. If they did it back then, they can do it now. That was RE7's main flaw. All of the extra modes were made as dlc, only to be in the updated version a 6-8 months down the line.

As for DMD, it's fair some of the time. You can't go halfway without an enemy popping DT (usually when they lose 1/2 of their hp) and taking forever to kill. This is worse for V when fighting bosses as losing both Shadow and Griffon screws you badly.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I just beat DMC5. Been grinding for all abilities, for all items, and whatnot. Now, I'm going to go for Secret Missions, and the rest of the secrets.

I agree with someone else about Trickster getting less love. As we progressed through levels, I feel like they took away his (Dante) moves after absorbing Sin Devil Trigger (Sparda).

One thing i don't get is why he (Vergil) was weak in the first place? I mean, he went through all that, just to regain himself....? I dunno, that part of the story doesn't make sense. And even the ending doesn't make sense. So, basically Dante/Vergil both sealed the Oliphoth from earth?

I highly doubt that Dante and Vergil is completely gone from the franchise/series. There are a few stories left untold about them.

DMC6 is happening, the game sold extremely well.
RE3 Remake is happening, the game sold extremely well.

I looooooooved the Nero vs Vergil battle for a lot of reasons than just having the "Father vs Son" complex being thrown into the story. However, Vergil knows that his son has more power than him. That mission was like a nod to Snake Eater, if you weren't paying attention. That song running during the beginning part...? Beautiful. It's like the designers wanted to make a nod to Kojima.
They're only holding bloody palace back to flesh it out more. Since it's free that's not much of a con. I'd rather have it done right. But if they add a timer that counts down again (which I think they are) I'm conning the hell out of that.
They held it back because they wanted to go a different route with Bloody Palace, than previous entries. From what they teased, the mode is a multiplayer-centric mode.
As for difficulty curves it's not JUST DMC games. It's also plenty of others as well. Ranging from Assassins Creed to Dark Souls among others. If anyone plays any 3rd person hack and slash games at all (and play on difficulties above easy) then DH difficulty is easy. You can pretty much just spam attacks and make the bare minimum of dodging. You can even just stand there as V while spamming attacks (seriously, I've taunted for ages and not get hit just by spam attacking. There I am chilling playing my cane as a violin for ages in a mob). Enemies recoil more easily too. Once you crank it up to sparda though the enemy starts fighting back properly. DH is basically "Learn the controls first" (except you learn how to spam instead? Sparda difficulty MAKES you learn) Which makes human difficulty laughable in that regard. But I guess if someone never played an action game in their life they might need that difficulty setting.
That's what I said about V. A lot of people like him, but I found him to be a boring character because of the spamming attacks. It's painful to hold the R1 button, spam both Square and Triangle just to get familiars fighting enemies. Quite frankly, I find it annoying. The reason why I love DMC is because it's a "create a combo" kind of game. It gives you freedom to use the game like a fighting game.

Last edited:

tatsumarublack

Legendary Dark Knight
That's what I said about V. A lot of people like him, but I found him to be a boring character because of the spamming attacks. It's painful to hold the R1 button, spam both Square and Triangle just to get familiars fighting enemies. Quite frankly, I find it annoying. The reason why I love DMC is because it's a "create a combo" kind of game. It gives you freedom to use the game like a fighting game.

I understand, he's rather simple. I like him because he reminds me of DMC1 from the idea of its simple, pure, basic shoot, launch, juggle, dodge gameplay....except with summons like Chaos Legion.

AngelEyes

Dressed To Kill
Overall... well boy let me tell ya. I am quite surprised that it's actually really good. It's polished and detailed and has all kinds of content that feeds my DMC classic needs and all kinds of other things. The first trailer looked pretty dire to be honest and the demo left me wanting. But hey look there's lots of stuff. Stuff to do, stuff to feel. I could spend months going over all the characters and moves. Is it better than DMC or DMC3? No. Does it get my juices going like a good bit of Beowulf and Divine Hate? Maybe. Is this the DMC4 these jokers should have given us in the first place? Hells yes.

SOME CONS: Looks good... but looks very boring. How many underground tree root lairs can you squeeze out of this? I need some juicy statue filled citadels. Also Vergil is back... but he barely does anything. Nero gets to do his thing but dear papa is badly under written. Like RE2-Remake it's a super solid experience but there are issues that negate the overall product from being truly cohesive and complete feeling.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I'm writing this whole thing on it. It's a bit long winded but I'm very busy at work and only get to write on it for a minute or so at the time.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I started this post like 2 or 3 weeks ago but I've been so busy at work I haven't had time to finish it or to work much on it. I was going to post it on its own with something else but this thread popped up and it might as well go here.

I went out of my way to play the demo on the XB1 back in December, which means that I had to go buy one, but, by god, is that machine awful. Well, more like that experience was awful. Be that as it may, the truth is I didn't find the demo to be good. Yeah, pretty, yeah, well animated, but not what I was hoping for. I played it 3 or 4 rounds, got an S on my first try, not so much in the consecutive runs but I really wasn't interested in going at it for the score.

Fast forward to the next demo and I'm a bit more optimistic. Adding to that the overall impressions from the full game we're seeing and the constant amount of good buzz have me less worried. Things might not be as bad as I'm making them out. There is even this whole blood thing and some areas that look a bit like Bloodborne stages, which is good. I thought BB was a good fit with DMC. So, with cautious optimism and a whole lot of hype I got the game, obviously, that was never really a question up for debate, and...

Well, let's start with the good.
•The game is gorgeous. You have to be blind, dumb or flat out self deluded to actually think that this game is anything but. The animation, the design, the graphics, special effects. Everything related to the visual aspects of this game is great.
•I'm glad they finally gave Vergil a new outfit. He's had the same outfit since 2005 and if they just slapped him with it again I would've been rather frustrated. That being said, that thorn pattern is getting old.
•The attention to detail is staggering. There is so much here for each character it is hard to keep up. They really seem to have taken a lot of notes from the DMC4 criticism. The number of moves you can parry, the ingame files and notes, the way you can change the combat music to other tracks. A lot of little and big things that I hope other games take notes from.
•The additions to Nero's combat are important. Nero was way too anemic in DMC4 and while I still advocate to give him more weapons the DBs are a good compromise, since they seem determined to not give him a bigger armament.
•When you get down to it this game is what we all hoped DMC4 was. The scale, the design, the combat, how the repeating stages are not just literal reatreads, actual blood which felt really condescending in 4 for not having it, the power of choice you are given. The game is clearly a huge attempt to correct all the things they feel the fans disliked about 4 and for that we should all be grateful. There is an obvious and clear sense of effort at delivering what the fans want on all fronts.

So, for the bad.
•First and foremost Vergil seems rather watered down in a lot of respects. The fact that he's still around was one of my biggest worries. He's turned comic book dead, which, as we all know, is more of a suggestion that an actual, impactful, state of being. His silhouette is also not particularly imposing, his outfit gives me the impression that they were going for a Loki from the Avengers thing, and he doesn't seem as bad ass or as imposing as before. Yeah, they give him these big moments of boom and blast but his minute to minute presence is just not as impactful as it was in 3.
•Adding to that, this is the 3rd time we've had the same boss fight. You can argue that it's different now because of this or that but the truth is we've been here before, more than once. Vergil was an excellent final boss but now it's all threaded territory but for Nero.
•The RE engine has so many pros and cons it's hard to know where to stack it. For 1 it means all we get are alt colors and no alternate costumes, which is weird considering how many outfits you got in RE2. When it pulls off the faces they look great but when it doesn't, holy hell. Dante's face is fine but that hair just makes it look good at certain angles. Trish looks like a stereotypical bruja with that nose and Lady might look good but besides her hair she doesn't actually look like Lady.
•I've mentioned before how I don't care for DmC but some of the improvements that were made in that game were omitted or outright discarded. The ability to choose if you go to or bring your enemy to you. A dedicated dodge. How the kill came is just the camera moving closer to the character rather than a new camera moving dynamically.
•While on the subject, I don't like the camera. If I'm against the wall surrounded by enemies it won't pull back to a wider angle to let me see what's going on, it will stay zoomed in on my head against the wall and when I can't use my finger to move it because I'm busy not getting killed it's very detrimental.
•Because there is no dedicated dodge the game has to compensate by not making it unfair to have to use 3 buttons or to give you time to switch styles by making it all rather tankish. Enemies spend way too much time in the ground, they give you these HUGE telegraphs for their big attacks and because otherwise you wouldn't have time to react. It wouldn't be new player friendly.
•That one move in the trailer where V gets stabbed but it was just an illusion and pops behind the enemy? That wasn't a mechanic, that was a scenematic.
•The music is dull. I don't care for the songs too much but they are catchy. That being said, aside from that little piano rift before every Urizen fight I don't remember any musical piece from this game. The BGM is just as forgettable as it was in DMC4 and DmC.
•The stages are also bland. At first they're interesting enough, I definitely got that Bloodborne vibe here and there, but then they just stayed like that. There was no escalation to the stages, no improvement or progression as you moved forward so what looked like it was going to be interesting just stayed like that and it got dull.
•While we're at it, I didn't care for the mixture of modern things scattered all over the place. Yeah, in a modern city and all that, but it doesn't really do much except to clutter the place.
•The combat is smoother but it is still just DMC4's with more moves. I didn't like DMC4 and the combat was not a highlight. Yeah, very deep, very complex, you just need to practice, but here's the thing, I don't like it enough to bother. Dante's was needlessly complex that at first go it was a bigger struggle to do the most basic things than the enemies themselves and Nero was so anemic his entire set up might as well just been given to Dante as another style, wouldn't've been that hard. The additions are good but they don't remove or vindicate the repeated everything. Nero might have new arms to open up combat but they don't change the fact that it's the same RQ combos again and I got tired of those years ago. Dante still this overbearing barrage of too much too fast. The 'practice if you want to enjoy it' department of the game he was in 4. Before you get a chance to try the new weapon in interesting ways or adapt to it you already got another one and once you get used to the basic sword you are given an entirely new manner in which you now have to use it. This would all be great, perfectly functional and a tried and true designed concept... if it was spread out throughout the whole 20 missions, if it was Dante's game, but it's not, it's Nero's game featuring the two dudes. Too many options all given right at the start and it becomes staggering. It's too much too fast for me to really develop a liking for it, again, and if DMC4 didn't do it for me after 11 years I don't think 5's pretty graphics will, either. V's fine, I guess. I haven't done anything worth saying is cool but I know it's there.
•Dante doesn't look stylish to me, or even that good. They get this retardedly handsome man to be the face of Dante, who look to be the right age, and they give him the awful hair do that not only does not compliment his face makes his face look weird and only looks good sometimes, but they also age him more. His face was fine, Cowei's face was perfect as it was, so were the other actors, the only one who really benefited from the change was Nero, so why change it that much? He also keeps making these weird expressions where he just crinchis his face and it looks weird as all hell.
•The get up is also drab. Even before the timeskip he looked ragetty. Dante might be a slob with his office but never with his persona. He was stylish, groomed, and clean. Now he's a hobo. Dirty, sloppy, unkempt, uninterested. Plus that outfit and that duster are just not memorable. His looks in 1-3 were just badass but in 4 and 5 they are weird or uninteresting.
•His personality also seems dialed in, for lack of a better term. Both him and Vergil are faced with these big parts of their lives but it's all become so episodic it's lost all impact, even in their minute to minute presence. Also, I hate that dance sequence with a passion. I either mute the game every time till it's over or I skip the cutscene altogether.
•This isn't a horror game. That might be a personal gripe but DMC1's horror undertones are a huge part of why I love that game and I was hoping this was, too, but it's not. I hate when games like this have constant dialogue while traversing because it removes all sense of tension but there is none to begin with. Even still, those little quips don't add anything, really, so it's just white noise.
•I'm usually ambivalent or even indifferent towards fanservice, but the level of call backs and references to the old materials here is staggering to the point of being too much. It's just a needlessly overblown amount here. The problem with that is that with so much of it nothing feels essential. Trish and Lady play no real part here and the story could've gone exactly the same with or without them. Same for all the other fanservicey things. By forcing the inclusion of so much rather than a few key elements they've all lost meaning and importance. I know this was done as a sort of reward to the long time loyal fans but it's kinda backfired and overcrowded the game with too many all too important things.
•Nico is way too similar to Cindy in FFXV. Oh, she swears and smokes. That doesn't make them any less mechanics with southern accents who show of their mid drift.
•The game just doesn't have that feel I was hoping for. It's just not what I hoped for.

Bottom line, it's not what I hoped for and I'm rather dissolution with it. Seeing the overwhelmingly positive response all over it looks like I'm in the minority on this, though.

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
His personality also seems dialed in, for lack of a better term. Both him and Vergil are faced with these big parts of their lives but it's all become so episodic it's lost all impact, even in their minute to minute presence.
Y'know, I couldn't quite put my finger on what was wrong with Dante in this game but I think you've nailed it. He just felt so...tired, about everything. He so rarely gets happy, angry, sad or emotional about anything in this game. The most egregious scene was with Nico, when the granddaughter he didn't know about of the woman who was a second mother to him suddenly appears in front of him and the most response he gives is basically "Huh, that's cool I guess". :banghead:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I finished it last night and thought it was a decent resolution to the series. It's a better place to leave off than DMC4 was. Granted my interested in the existing cast/plot has waned considerably over the years so maybe I'm in a different headspace than everybody else?

I actually thought this was Dante's best portrayal in the post DMC1 era.

I didn't need the KH plot twist with V/Vergil/Urizen. I rather they did a more straightforward plot with Vergil teaming up with Dante to stop Urizen from doing his scheme. That goes south and he teams up with Nero to sort things out.

tatsumarublack

Legendary Dark Knight
I started this post like 2 or 3 weeks ago but I've been so busy at work I haven't had time to finish it or to work much on it. I was going to post it on its own with something else but this thread popped up and it might as well go here.

Your screen name seems familiar. Were you on Phantombabies.net?

DarkSlayer54

Bottom line, it's not what I hoped for and I'm rather dissolution with it. Seeing the overwhelmingly positive response all over it looks like I'm in the minority on this, though.

You're definitely not alone. If it wasn't for the mods, DMC5 would be a 6/10 game for me. Maybe even a 5/10... hard to gauge without having played it the intended way.

I'm just trying to imagine myself being forced to play as V or as Nero as much as the game does... I definitely wouldn't have even attempted DMD. Then on top of that, having to deal with the style system? Never been a fan of it. A 6/10 would definitely be a generous score on my part, that's for sure.

tatsumarublack

Legendary Dark Knight
You're definitely not alone. If it wasn't for the mods, DMC5 would be a 6/10 game for me. Maybe even a 5/10... hard to gauge without having played it the intended way.

I'm just trying to imagine myself being forced to play as V or as Nero as much as the game does... I definitely wouldn't have even attempted DMD. Then on top of that, having to deal with the style system? Never been a fan of it. A 6/10 would definitely be a generous score on my part, that's for sure.
I think DMC5 will end up like DMC4 in the long run. DMC4 was considered a really great game at the beginning, with its only flaw being the repetitive nature by critics, but overtime for a majority of fans DMC3 was still seen as the pinnacle of the series. DMC5 is still new and it looks amazing, so the media is still absorbed in that and Capcom's "track record" of releasing good to decent games is actually a "thing" now so they are blind to it. In time tho, they'll look back and be like eh...it was alright.

AngelEyes

Dressed To Kill
I think DMC5 will end up like DMC4 in the long run. DMC4 was considered a really great game at the beginning, with its only flaw being the repetitive nature by critics, but overtime for a majority of fans DMC3 was still seen as the pinnacle of the series. DMC5 is still new and it looks amazing, so the media is still absorbed in that and Capcom's "track record" of releasing good to decent games is actually a "thing" now so they are blind to it. In time tho, they'll look back and be like eh...it was alright.

Disagree. DMC4 was weak compared to DMC3 and super weak compared to... games with full game content. This feels far more polished and content focused (despite missing playable characters). The buzz around 5 is at least partially due to the fact that this is a return to form and a real sequel instead of one of the many Inafune led "market share grab" attempts.

tatsumarublack

Legendary Dark Knight
Disagree. DMC4 was weak compared to DMC3 and super weak compared to... games with full game content. This feels far more polished and content focused (despite missing playable characters). The buzz around 5 is at least partially due to the fact that this is a return to form and a real sequel instead of one of the many Inafune led "market share grab" attempts.

Thats the thing tho, this is a cash grab just like DMC4 its just slightly better because it looks amazing and has more weapon variety than DMC4 had. Alot of those weapons tho contain the very same animations that DMC4 introduced, so it kinda puts a negative light on the weapon variety. You have no extra content in this game that DMC4 doesn't have besides a "making of video" and some alternate versions of weapons that are already in the game that you have to pay extra for in order to get. No extra costumes (a palette swap is not an extra costume), and no extra modes outta the gate (Mind you, I understand BP has been added to this game as of now, but we're talking about at launch). DMC4 at least had Heaven or Hell, Hell or Hell, and Bloody Palace out of the box as well as the PC version having Legendary Dark Knight and Turbo mode which we eventually got for consoles in the SE. I'm sure more paid DLC is around the corner for this game that will contain Vergil, other playable characters, turbo mode, etc. But out of the box, this game is pretty much an updated Vanilla DMC4. If that's a return to form for you compared to DMC3, which gave us an brand new innovative deep combat system, amazing weapon selection, multiple difficulties, and real incentives for beating those difficulties out of the gate...then eh, I disagree wholeheartedly.

Last edited:

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Thats the thing tho, this is a cash grab just like DMC4 its just slightly better because it looks amazing and has more weapon variety than DMC4 had. Alot of those weapons tho contain the very same animations that DMC4 introduced, so it kinda puts a negative light on the weapon variety. You have no extra content in this game that DMC4 doesn't have besides a "making of video" and some alternate versions of weapons that are already in the game that you have to pay extra for in order to get. No extra costumes, and no extra modes outta the gate (Mind you, I understand BP has been added to this game as of now, but we're talking about at launch). DMC4 at least had Heaven or Hell, Hell or Hell, and Bloody Palace out of the box as well as the PC version having Legendary Dark Knight and Turbo mode which we eventually got for consoles in the SE. I'm sure more paid DLC is around the corner for this game that will contain Vergil, other playable characters, turbo mode, etc. But out of the box, this game is pretty much an updated Vanilla DMC4. If that's a return to form for you compared to DMC3, which gave us an brand new innovative deep combat system, amazing weapon selection, multiple difficulties, and real incentives for beating those difficulties out of the gate...then eh, I disagree wholeheartedly.
I won't argue about the modes, fine. But how can the weapons have the same animations though? Besides the defaults (Rebellion, Red Queen, , Ebony Ivory, Blue Rose, and Coyote A) the only type of weapon both games contain is a set of gauntlets and greaves, and Gilgamash and Barlog have almost completely different movesets. Plus it's not like the game didn't add any features. We got V, who's playstyle is very different from Dante and Nero's. Nero got his Devil Breakers which give him additional abilities. Dante got a new sword that incorporates Rebellion's Swordmaster skills to it's base moveset and gives him his own version of summoned swords, and added the Sin Devil Trigger. Also unlike DMC4, which was again infamous for it's backtracking. Each character in DMC5 (With the exception of Urizen/Vergil serving as a recurring boss) has their own boss fights. I say that adds up to a lot more then an updated DMC4.

Top Bottom