• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC's Story is Terrible and here is why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GF9000000Returns

I have to admit you guys are immature when it comes to this
You defend Tameem saying "He was just voicing his opinion."
Well, what are people like Eventstatus and other DmC skeptics doing?
VOICING THEIR OPINIONS!

Oh, but did Tameem act like he was some god by forcing people to buy his game like Event and the other skeptics did by shoving his opinions down people's throat? I don't think so! Sure Tameem may be a bit of an asshole, but he was too busy making the game while the others were just too busy crying about it.

I know I said I'm out this thread, but I just wanted to say that.

AlchemistFromEden

Come on if you are a game director why dont u be professional instead of bumping heads with forum teenagers
becaause miyamoto, who is a god of game design, runs out onto the stage like this
Shigeru_Miyamoto_at_E3.png

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Oh, but did Tameem act like he was some god by forcing people to buy his game like Event and the other skeptics did by shoving his opinions down people's throat? I don't think so! Sure Tameem may be a bit of an asshole, but he was too busy making the game while the others were just too busy crying about it.

So he wasn't being an asshole/acting like a God when he said ''what was cool then isn't cool now'' and having people create that cutscene of new Dante getting a white whig saying ''not in a million years''? Or when he said he didn't give a **** what the old fans think? No, he's the one who's got an open mind about everything, right?

I'm sorry, but I'm done being the easy going guy. Go lie in a ditch or go back to sticking your head in the sand.

I know I said I'm out this thread, but I just wanted to say that.

Naturally. You do like getting the last word in, after all. I'm done with this.

GF9000000Returns

*turns around* I'm just going to stick what he said.

its not immature to playfully make a nod to a classic character's old design, it is however very immature to blow it out of proportion and make entire threads about it cursing their existence which has happened multiple times already -__-

*walks away*

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
becaause miyamoto, who is a god of game design, runs out onto the stage like this
Shigeru_Miyamoto_at_E3.png

There is a difference between being playful and fun towards the fans and being a dick towards the fans because they are being mean to you.

After all, wouldn't you want to win the consumer over rather than potentially chase them away because of your hurt feelings?

Just to be clear on things.

Cabbage Detective

Cabbages <3
There is a difference between being playful and fun towards the fans and being a **** towards the fans because they are being mean to you.

After all, wouldn't you want to win the consumer over rather than potentially chase them away because of your hurt feelings?

i would pay billions to see Tameem dressing up as Dante lol :D

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Most of what you wrote does not even apply to what I was saying.

''Uhm...Lionheart...It takes itself seriously only in the story it's telling,''

Yes, and the themes tie into that.

All I was saying is that DmC takes that stuff very seriously, and doesn't actually make a satire out of it. Bayonetta and DMC are satires. Doing a Shakespearean play very badly (like in DMC4) is satire. Bayonetta being the typical sexbomb woman, even going as far as to have lollipops around constantly, THAT's satire. I don't feel like explaining DmC is not satire again.
I realize how it works.

''DmC's ironic exaggerations of demons being responsible for society's ills like conspiracies of stuff in our food, nationalist propaganda on the airwaves, and interests in fleeting, sometimes self-destructive vices like sex, drugs, and booze, sure soundsa helluva lot like satire.''

Only it isn't. If it were, it would poke fun at it (usually debunking it), and I don't mean in a few cases like when Dante and Vergil don't listen to Mundus and all. In fact, that's exactly what makes it NOT a parody/satire. That they actually take it so seriously that they don't listen to Mundus when he spews all kinds of stuff. In actuality, the entire game is based around that idea, and the world (Limbo) actually IS brainwashed (kind of). If it were satire, it would turn out that's not the case.

I'm out of here, sorry.

Lionheart...you seriously have no idea how satire works, if you can't see how DmC satirizes societal ills.

This...this right here that I said...

me said:
''DmC's ironic exaggerations of demons being responsible for society's ills like conspiracies of stuff in our food, nationalist propaganda on the airwaves, and interests in fleeting, sometimes self-destructive vices like sex, drugs, and booze, sure sounds a helluva lot like satire.''

...that's exactly how DmC is. It takes those societal ills and makes them the bad guy in a video game. It's poking fun at it because it used them as the bad guys in a friggin' video game about fighting demons. It's ironic because it makes what people perceive as evils of the world the result of actual evil beings. It exaggerates those societal ills by positing that in the game's universe they have a horribly real consequence - humanity being subjugated by demons through their own vices (listening to the news, valuing money for the future, believing in excess and vanity over personal well-being etc).

If DmC took itself as seriously as you say, wouldn't they have done a few things differently? To take itself seriously over these societal ills would mean that they really want to draw awareness, affect change in society. If it takes itself so seriously, then are we supposed to actually take up gun and blade against news outlets and bankers...?

Just because the satire isn't explicitly "funny ha-ha" doesn't mean the satire doesn't exist. Satire doesn't have to be overly-exaggerated like Bayonetta or DMClassic to be understood.

In fact, some of the best satire in history is subtle (not that I'm saying DmC's is the best, or subtle).

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
This...this right here that I said...

...that's exactly how DmC is. It takes those societal ills and makes them the bad guy in a video game. It's poking fun at it because it used them as the bad guys in a friggin' video game about fighting demons. It's ironic because it makes what people perceive as evils of the world the result of actual evil beings. It exaggerates those societal ills by positing that in the game's universe they have a horribly real consequence - humanity being subjugated by demons through their own vices (listening to the news, valuing money for the future, believing in excess and vanity over personal well-being etc).

That's not satire, though. I think you're confusing it with a 'social commentary'. Those two are totally different things. The thing is, satire makes fun of things and often debunks them. DmC reinforces them (Mundus the banker overlord, etc).

If DmC took itself as seriously as you say, wouldn't they have done a few things differently? To take itself seriously over these societal ills would mean that they really want to draw awareness, affect change in society. If it takes itself so seriously, then are we supposed to actually take up gun and blade against news outlets and bankers...?

Of course not. Games don't always want to change awareness in real life, do they? These are video games; they're not documentaries that try to open people's minds. But they are serious in trying to set up a story within the idea of ''Limbo is ruled by demons'' (demons being the corporations and their products, etc, which is a very hackneyed theme, and ultimately boring).

Just because the satire isn't explicitly "funny ha-ha" doesn't mean the satire doesn't exist. Satire doesn't have to be overly-exaggerated like Bayonetta or DMClassic to be understood.

No, but it does have to debunk or make fun of it in some way. Making the game revolve around defeating Mundus, who is an evil banker, just proves my point. If it were satire, the whole game wouldn't revolve around you trying to change Limbo, making it a better place, or simply defeating ''the demons who subjugate mankind''.

In fact, some of the best satire in history is subtle (not that I'm saying DmC's is the best, or subtle).

AlchemistFromEden

There is a difference between being playful and fun towards the fans and being a **** towards the fans because they are being mean to you.
making a playful joke at dante's old character design isn't being an ass, saying "i don't think dante is cool" isn't being an ass towards fans, saying "i was asked about my opinion on bayonetta and i said it was absurd" is not being an ass to fans, not taking the stupid immature **** that the fans constantly spew isn't being an ass, its like complaining that someone spit in your eggs after the 500th time you called them a stupid bitch waitress who should lose her job, because as humans we are inclined to shrug things off, then get annoyed, then get irritated, and then full blown angry when we are being bullied, which is basically what all of the people who constantly spew hate speech about A VIDEO GAME amount to
i don't want annoying entitled consumers to buy my product after bitching, hence the reason why tameem said, "I don't care if it sells a million copies or 1 copy" because believe it or not, money is a factor, but not all game designers just crave money, and considering NT survived this ordeal as a stronger and more noticed developer than ever before and are as we speak developing something new, they should be proud of themselves as developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom