• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC's Story is Terrible and here is why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Just thought of a DmC question.
In the nightclub level, we see a load of people partying when Dante walks in there. And they're still there when Lilith's got that challenge for Dante.You can see them off to the sides and below the platforms even in Limbo.

I would have thought the humans would clear out right away considering they could still see Dante swinging his sword at what would appear to them be nothing, or other humans....but anyway....

So, can the humans still see and hear Lilith when she's taunting Dante? I say that because she appears to be addressing them directly at some points during the level.....only thing is by the time Dante gets back to the main dance floor at the end, there's no one there. But there were party goers there in the previous parts of the level, either below or to the side.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
1)jesus christ you're unbelievably uninformed about game development it makes me sick, you think platinum games made MGR in one year, omfg...
2)you are obviously a platinum fanboy, how is anarchy reigns anything but subpar which is why they released it cheaper than the normal retail price for games and how does it or MGR have more content than DmC when both of them have shorter single players modes and less extra modes and unlockables -__- wtf are you talking about
3)IT WOULD ADD NOTHING TO THE NARRATIVE, PERIOD, THE ONLY ONE WHO WANTS THIS IS YOU, PERIOD.WHY WASTE TIME AND MONEY ON SOMETHING THAT WOULD ADD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO A NARRATIVE, DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT STORYTELLING OR BUDGET IN GAMES??? hint don't you dare say yes because its blatantly obvious to everyone here that you don't know what you are talking about
4)no its not because demon collaborators and demons as well constantly hunt for dante so they are interchangeable with the "hunters" fact
5)are you seriously defending old dmc's terrible habit of padding game length through repetitive boss fights -__- omg...
6)you are not an informed individual and should come back when you have an informed opinion -_-

1) Sorry I probably fudged the details but it had a pretty short development cycle compared to most games even PG executive producer Inaba stated the they little time to work on MGR and wish they had more time. Whatever it is its much more shorter than that of DmC.
2) I'm not a Platinum fanboy...I like their games like another company and I think they produce high quality titles (vs NT with none really with the exception of that one multiplayer brawler on the Xbox). I too think they get WAY TOO much hype. I cringe at statements like "PG should make DMC5 only they can do it", "PG make the best action games ever","PG are the kings of action games", "Why stop at Darksiders, PG should make every action from now", or better yet "Team Ninja please hand over Ninja Gaiden to PG they can do it more justice than you guys since you lost Itagaki".
3) It can add to the narrative if done right. Same way how incorporating lets say some angel characters/bosses to the narrative would better it you don't you think? Now I think about it the Hunters didn't have to be a boss, it can easily have been more Hunters that get killed by Vergil in a cutscene, considering he did jacksh*t in the game's narrative. I know a lot about budget in gaming (or is learning) and how development costs have fluctuating factors and DmC is a AAA game with a AAA budget (well NT probably wasted a lot of it on the Avatar filming studio) and so did the past DMC games which had more content than DmC. I don't think it was much higher than say Bayonetta which has tons of content in it
4) Collaborators aren't the as the Hunters, Lilith refer to the Hunters as the ones who found Sparda and Eva and Kat referred to them as elite hunting demons. Their not weak humans who sided with the demons that can be taken down by a simple knife.
5) Wake up call..DEVIL MAY CRY ISN'T THE ONLY GAME TO USE THAT. That sh*t has been around since the MegaMan age (and has been used in practically all of the games) and yet no one says MegaMan is a bad game/series because of it. DMC1 and DMC3 did it and people herald those as the best in the series...some say 1 is the best but that sh*t is the biggest abuser of it and no one complained about it then. So how is fighting a boss again (its not like I'm asking to asking to fight every boss at the end..akin Boss Rush it seems to be only one) be worst than fighting the same enemies over and over again. Plus another boss fight can fit into the narrative...I mean you fight Arius twice in DMC2 and both of those battles actually worked into the narratives, same goes for the Nelo Angelo encounters in DMC1, Vergil encounters in DMC3, and Dante encounters in DMC4. Plus these are random demons that work for demons it worked for the narrative rather than wasting cutscenes on Dante playing with one Dreamrunner enemy if its just going to be a random grunt.
6) I can see how mature you can be....I guess I had you all wrong all along.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It was never stated that Dante killed anything offscreen and as far as I know I thought we saw all Dante's actions over the course of the story with no loose ends of him doing stuff off screen.

The characters have done plenty of things off-screen. Are you literally going to say that because something was told or shown to you you have no inclination that it happened? We also didn't see Dante take a deuce, are we supposed to imagine that he never does because of this?

All in all, I'm still saying that you're blowing this part way out of proportion. Just because we didn't see them, doesn't mean the other Hunters didn't exist.

Yet Dante fought various demons even the Dreamrunner which when you think about it can qualify as a "Hunter" or part of the hunter group. Would be cool if he was part of the Hunter faction and he personally came there as a personal grudge against Dante for killing his boss that Hunter demon. Makes sense as to why it was hyped up so much for no reason. Which brings up my point if every demon (or some of them Dante kills are human in the real world) wouldn't that mean he kills tons of people in the public eye? Same goes for the hunter if Dante killed the Hunter wouldn't he have killed someone yet it was never clear someone or anyone died that day? Since Dante is plastered on the news wouldn't murders be on his record and wouldn't people be more aware of him and scared that a murderer is wandering the street and despite Dante's record NOT a single person reacted him in a normal way you would see a criminal with an aggressive track record and potential murders.

The Drekavac as a recurring battle is a lot easier than trying to code a gigantic boss that uses setpieces from the environment during his battle. Drekavac is also akin to a mini-boss, and his hype was about as much because he's one of the most difficult normal-sized enemies to deal with compared to all the other stygians, fatties, and flying babbies.

And no, Dante isn't killing any humans. Any demon that exists in the real world is using a human vessel, a form they just wear so they can hang around outside of Limbo - think the alien skinsuits from MiB.

[quote="Stylish Nero, post: 471803, member: 17820"]Precautionary measures ring a bell???...they really thought Bob can beat Dante despite him beating the Hunter, a demon made for combat, and Poison? Now Mundus isn't that stupid. Makes sense to bring a Hunter or an elite demon in case Dante does shows up or if these got a few tricks up their sleeves.[/quote]

*shrug* The demon's aren't always the brightest, and when you're ruling the world, you tend to get lazy :p The Hunter was still a lesser demon, and Poison was dangling in a room doing jack sh!t for however many years >.< Barbas at least has some legit moves, like...face lasers >.< Poison just threw up everywhere :p

However, think about how elite the Drekavac is, and how he showed up during The Order's raid. He was there specifically to attack and impede Dante.

You mean Ninja Theory would've had to do more work plus this stuff could've been discussed during the planning phase. A Hunter/another boss could've showed up when Dante was protecting Vergil. Why does everyone keep on saying I'm talking about the same Hunter if that one boss can't work why not use another one to work in that area.

This is really conjecture, since if we're going back to the planning stages, they could have tried to implement a lot of things, like that statue spotlight portion that was taken out of the Bloodlines portions.

I know you're not talking about the same Hunter from the pier, that wouldn't make sense anyway, since he's dead. However, the Hunter demon is a class of demon, as Vergil killed a few in his comic that looked exactly like the one Dante fought.

Planning phase...I mean Tameem and NT really could've checked the planning of the story/script to see if everything works or they could've added more in benefit of the game/story before went into the production phase. Obviously they didn't go all out in the pre-production phase of the game.

Well, they did, and they felt everything they had worked. I would also agree with them. However, even after that stage there was stuff that got cut. That's just what happens in game development, stuff always gets cut for one reason or another, and usually it's pacing.

No it means it can be better and a missed opportunity as well as NT shooting themselves in the foot when it came to the story.

I would again say that they did just fine. I got a great game as it is, and anything they added could only serve to make it better.

Its how its presented in the story makes it a plot hole...

Not...really. You just see it that way because you want to. A plothole is described as an inconsistent gap in the flow of logic, us knowing that there's more than one Hunter but only seeing one isn't inconsistency. It would be an inconsistency if we were told there were many, and then suddenly we heard that the only Hunter was killed.

So when Dante was at the docks (???) before and taunting Mundus by throwing a rock at the camera he couldn't have sent out a huge shockwave there?

He threw that rock right outside Silver Sacks Towers, just before he infiltrated it. Essentially, Dante threw a rock at a camera connected to the tower's own security system.

Well when you control a plane that the character fights in you, you are sort of omnipotent. He didn't physically see Dante but still was able to throw him into Limbo before at the Trade. So if he controls all of Limbo and Limbo City wouldn't it be easy to send Dante into without having seeing him.?

No...that's not correct at all...omnipotent means all-seeing and all-knowing. If Mundus couldn't tell were Dante was, even in Limbo, he's not omnipotent. Actually, sorry, I'm looking for "omniscient," that means all-seeing. "Omnipotent" is just all-powerful. Sorry >.<

Either way, Mundus isn't omniscient, that's the whole reason why he has the CCTV system watching both dimensions of Limbo City.

Think of dragging Dante into Limbo as something done with a net, but one specifically attuned to "Dante." When demons see him, it's much more accurate, but in Mundus' case, he just sent out a blast in his general direction and hoped he grabbed his one target with it.

Well he did raid him home and in a picture depicting Dante's past he saw him as a child, or Dante saw his mom killed by Mundus so Mundus would've seen him too and Dante doesn't look any different from when he was a child..just more mature.

He raided the home, but might not have paid attention to any family photos, and Dante saw Mundus kill Eva, but that doesn't mean Mundus saw Dante. Obviously he didn't, since he didn't know who the Son of Sparda was. He was a little busy tearing someone's heart out.

I thought Dante didn't get his sword a year before when he was about to be killed in a prison so how would he be able to have his sword to fight back then. Not really a plot hole...maybe...just something you said.

That's something with the Chronicles of Vergil comics :/ The comic shows him getting in Hellfire, but from images shown in the game (which take precedence on being canon) Dante was shown as a young boy holding Rebellion in one hand, and a demon's severed head in the other.

So the demons was too stupid to inform their boss, some random kid can see threw their disguise. That is some rather etchy information that you would want to share with your boss. They should know he was looking for the child of a demon and an angel so a kid with some supernatural powers should be addressed to their boss.

It's pretty difficult to tell anyone that when you're dead. Anytime Dante was dragged into Limbo, he killed the demons. And like I've said, there's been other people who see through the demon's disguise, that's what gets them put in mental asylums and even Hellfire.

This however, also brings up another point that you should consider, that Mundus doesn't have a hand in every single facet of the kindgom he rules. He's grand overlord, but he's delegated a lot of his tasks to other demons, and sometimes, a lot of stuff is just beneath him. That's why people like Lilith and Barbas exist, they handle stuff that Mundus doesn't bother with.

No but due to having a huge record the name Dante shows up on the news/police records pretty often and Mundus is looking for a guy named Dante. Its like Mundus doesn't look at the news (which he is shown to do) or keep track of the police records (the SWAT and authorities work for him).

There's more than one dude in the world named "Dante."

What I said above also applies here - Mundus might have SWAT and whatnot working for him, but he doesn't get bothered by every little thing they deal with. And Dante - before he's known to be the one they're looking for - is really nothing more than a petty thug and a delinquent, not something that raises many flags like if he were like...an actual terrorist.

Regardless Dante strolls around town pretty often and even goes to Lilith's club FREQUENTLY.

That doesn't mean much. Think about how many people there are in the city, and how inconspicuous he is. Dante isn't the only guy who probably frequents that nightclub, and Dante blends into a crowd fairly easily - that was the entire point of his subdued design, to look like a guy on the street.

At the beginning of the game, Mundus called him by his name Dante so Mundus knows his name Dante and based on their conversation Mundus has seem to bring him up before so Lilith should know about him too. The fact that Dante is sent to penitentiaries and correctional facilities and other schools they have him and his name recorded so they know his name is Dante and purposely f*cks with him and not only that how would Mundus know his name is Dante in the first place unless Sparda told him (that wouldn't be smart though)?

Ah, you're right. Just rewatched the opening, however, that still doesn't mean much. A name is a name, plenty of people can have that same name...and even if they have him on record it doesn't mean they can so easily trace him once he's escaped from a facility Mundus might own.

It's possible they didn't know his name the entire time, either. They could have just recently (before the game's start) found out, like when he was in Hellfire. They could have finally pieced it all together, but by that time Dante escaped and was living off the grid.

And Lilith also doesn't seem to always be at Devil's Dalliance either. When Vergil mentions the place, he says "she'll be there tonight," which implies that she's not always there. And even if Dante frequents the place, Lilith isn't exactly on a first-name basis with everyone who comes in there.

By point I mean my overall argument one loose end doesn't changes my entire point.

It certainly doesn't help your entire point :/

Mundus knew his name was Dante before they even found him so a guy with a huge criminal record in Limbo City with the name Limbo wouldn't tickle Mundus's fancy before or not found.

Barbas still didn't start his smear campaign against Dante until he started fighting back. There was no reason to bother until he became such a nuisance.

No it means they work for the same force or unit. Who says they can't be?

Every cop and SWAT member wears the same uniform, and there are usually thousands of officers employed by a precinct of Limbo City's size. The chances of Dante running into the same exact cops aren't that high, and even then they deal with a lot of people over the course of one year, making Dante (who looks like your average dude) somewhat forgettable.

He sure as hell didn't went off Lilith's strippers grid. So if a guy named Dante, or a guy in general, with a history of violence broke out of prison wouldn't he be all over the news and spark searches when he broke out especially since the demons are out to get him.

Hellfire isn't a normal prison, though. They can't just call for a search for someone who escaped from a demonic prison that doesn't exist in the real world, where they torture all of the inmates :s

His "history of violence" also isn't much more than delinquency anyway. It's not like he went around killing people to get himself flagged as a huge threat to society.

So why was he dragged into Limbo before prior to the game's events if they didn't know he was until the game started so Dante says to Kat.

As I've said before, because he was still a troublemaker who they wanted to deal with.

Think about a cop - they'll arrest anyone they think is trouble, not just a suspect they're specifically looking for. Same with Dante and the demons, before they knew who he was they were dragging him into Limbo because he was still someone they wanted to get rid of.

But he was dragged in there prior to the game's events many times before and manages to bust out. They would make him popular enough among demons to inform their boss. Unless if demons are stupid...which seems the case in this game.

He was getting dragged into Limbo because he was a problematic subject, not because he was the Son of Sparda. And as I've said before, Dante kills all the demons who engage him, so there's no one to make it back to tell anyone what actually happened, and who killed who.

Just thought of a DmC question.
In the nightclub level, we see a load of people partying when Dante walks in there. And they're still there when Lilith's got that challenge for Dante.You can see them off to the sides and below the platforms even in Limbo.

I would have thought the humans would clear out right away considering they could still see Dante swinging his sword at what would appear to them be nothing, or other humans....but anyway....

So, can the humans still see and hear Lilith when she's taunting Dante? I say that because she appears to be addressing them directly at some points during the level.....only thing is by the time Dante gets back to the main dance floor at the end, there's no one there. But there were party goers there in the previous parts of the level, either below or to the side.

Dante and Lilith are both in Limbo. And if Lilith isn't there, she's at least using magic to project herself on that disco ball and stuff. However, I'm pretty sure Lilith is there because she appears in Limbo, even when he makes it back to the dance floor before the boss fight - and demons only exist in Limbo unless they have a vessel for the real world.

When Lilith is addressing a crowd, I don't think they actually existed, or...they're all the demonic sympathizers who end up getting killed by Dante anyway. Everyone else probably cleared out of the actual nightclub while Dante was going through the trials.

ZeroLove

TWO, I'm not sure why you keep bothering. Your points negate SN's, yet he keeps attempting to disprove them. If he doesn't want to see things from your perspective, then there's no point in keeping up discussing these things with him. He did not seek a debate, he wanted to make a statement and then wanted people to agree with him. He's obviously not open-minded enough to see what we see.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Oh dear oh dear.

Hands up who is surprised this is now locked?

AlchemistFromEden, whilst I appreciate your passion for this game, your defence failed for me when you started getting personal. Please think before posting, but I do appreciate the provocation that was involved. That said, let's be grown-ups about this and let the flamers explode without adding fuel to the fire.

Stylish Nero - really? Is this even necessary? Take a mini-ban for your efforts to cause drama and getting others all riled up. I'm fed up of asking people to play nice, so I won't be playing nice with those who just don't learn. See you when you get back and hopefully this will be the last time I have to do this.

Thanks to those of you in this post who attempted polite discourse. I know it didn't work out but at least you tried, hey? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom