• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC's Story is Terrible and here is why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cabbage Detective

Cabbages <3
tumblr_lso2g9ZHeW1qeoxq4o1_500.gif

RxaB3.gif
can i have this? :3

AlchemistFromEden

I'm was kind of ****ed at this scene because it was like TIM TIM was trying to say STFU fans our Donte is better, your Dante is old fashion, has a horrible story, and is certainly not CONTEMPORARY to the generation today. And it was just a slap in the face to fans.
or it could hav been a reference to old dante and a plain showing that this isn't the same guy anymore, they were showing that this is a much more "human" version of dante and not the OP anime baddass because they then go on to show him shooting at the hunter demon with it having no effect, giving that human comic book character feel. just like how the amazing spiderman references the original spiderman costume in a similar context, and no, the old dante is NOT contemporary at all especially considering the old plot took place in the 20 century. so why would you be mad at NT for stating that fact -_-

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014

'Cause elitists gonna elite... :ermm:

tumblr_mcg2hnAlsO1rjgcy1o1_500.gif

lol thanks and that gif reminds me of batman arkham asylum :3

ibd9PyBSwOZSvC.gif

I'm was kind of ****ed at this scene because it was like TIM TIM was trying to say STFU fans our Donte is better, your Dante is old fashion, has a horrible story, and is certainly not CONTEMPORARY to the generation today. And it was just a slap in the face to fans.

diagnostic-house-meme-generator-it-s-just-as-i-suspected-butthurt-d1ee7f.jpg

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot

The only problem is that it's not satire in DmC. It actually takes it very seriously. Do you even know what the word satire means? It's to make fun of those sterotypical ideas/plots and what have you. DmC does not make fun of it, it actually makes people drink Virility, and Dante is their savior smacking the can out of their hands. The whole friggin theme of the game is that Mundus (who is an influential banker/loanshark) is ruling over the demons and the humans. Virility is a demonic thing (evil). This is not a satire, it's taken seriously, which is something satire never does. Just like The Matrix isn't satire, as it doesn't make fun of the idea that the world is not what it seems. It actually takes it seriously.

You really have a lot to learn, sorry to say.

And if you're still going on about Vergil having no motivation for doing what he did in DMC3, go play the ****ing DMC games and pay attention! Also, buy an imagination while you're at it.

''which is why actually writing critics are enjoying it''

I don't even know what you're saying there, as that doesn't seem to be a grammatically correct sentence. Writing critics? What? Yes, critics usually write stuff. That's what they do. I don't even...

I was talking about DMC's overall plot, not some of the elements present in it. Stop bringing up InuYasha. Sure, it's similar to InuYasha. So the F what? Who said that wasn't inspired by western stories either?

Yes, I was complaining about DmC's plot not being original. Nor is DMC's, but at least it has a plot that's not braindead. A plot that doesn't sound like it was made up by someone who lacks knowledge of the world, or some sort of pot-smoking hippie.

Maybe it would be more interesting to have you or Dante believe that people are being brainwashed
''no that wouldn't make any sense but there is a fanfiction section here if your desperate''

Why wouldn't that make sense? Don't you have an imagination? You know what, I'm not going to spell out for you how it would work, as that would just be lost on you. Kind of sad. If this is how it goes within game developing companies, it's not surprising DMC and DmC ended up with a mediocre plot. Nobody's even willing to listen to interesting ideas. I wonder if developers tell their employees to go to a fanfic thread too :p

Like Supernatural has parodied: ''I'm too old for this sh**!''

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
just like how no one has to agree with Tameem when he stated that he didn't think dante was very cool anymore or that bayonetta was an absurd character, which the whole of gaming media and developers agree btw, idk if anyone who bitched about that watched an actual review of bayonetta because the whole lot of them call her creepy

The majority finding something creepy does not make it so. And yes, Bayonetta was an absurd character. Again, that was the point. Tameem's opinion isn't fact either. I really don't care how many people feel this and that, it's not a matter of democracy or something. These are opinions, and having a minority opinion does not make you wrong.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Anyone who doesn't like DmC is a hater, a troll and is begging to be banned. ; )))))))))))))))

Sadly, that seems to be the idea. And no doubt I'm in the wrong for some reason (because I have a different opinion), and the thread's going to get locked over it. Thanks, guys. I think I'll just go to a more civilized thread that allows each side to voice their opinion by not butting in and closing threads before they even started.

SPARTAN-999

! FIGHT LIKE A MAN SCUM !
When i play DMC gameplay comes first
Story is second
and to be honest i loved the combat in DmC as much as DMC 3 its gameplay DmC is got air combos like we have never seen before in a dmc game so i admire it for that but
i didnt like the cutscenes DMC 3 cutscenes WIN easily
and also the ending was a cliff hanger
and why the F*ck cant we taunt in this game ?

Cabbage Detective

Cabbages <3
When i play DMC gameplay comes first
Story is second
and to be honest i loved the combat in DmC as much as DMC 3 its gameplay DmC is got air combos like we have never seen before in a dmc game so i admire it for that but
i didnt like the cutscenes DMC 3 cutscenes WIN easily
and also the ending was a cliff hanger
and why the F*ck cant we taunt in this game ?
yeah I was rather dissapointed that there was no taunts in the game :c

SPARTAN-999

! FIGHT LIKE A MAN SCUM !
ofcourse ninja theory would give you the not in a million years joke after all the crap they took and the trash talk from the fans do expect them to say oh thank you for insulting us while we make a game for you but i think its imature

AlchemistFromEden

The majority finding something creepy does not make it so.
yes because finding a girlfriend is so easy if you're into loli right? just saying when a large majority of people find something creepy, (such as the constant vagina/ass shots, tentacle jokes, sexual poses, feeling of herself, gyrating hips, constant nudity and the blatant sexuality of a character that could have been good i not for the ridiculous sexualization) then usually it is pretty creepy, kinda like if grown men like loli, that's ****ing creepy
And yes, Bayonetta was an absurd character.
yes she was
Again, that was the point.
lol this, you do realize that in hideki kamiya's little world he doesn't believe that bayonetta wasn't sexualized right, he has said that multiple times, that's like saying that MLP's target audience isn't little girls
Tameem's opinion isn't fact either.
and he never stated it was but still after he said that millions of fans stood up in arms as if he has said "anyone who doesn't think so is a twat"
I really don't care how many people feel this and that
then why are you on a forum -_-
it's not a matter of democracy or something.
never said it was
These are opinions,
yes they are, and imo, bayonetta was yet another wasted female video game protagonist from japan that was more tits and ass than personality
and having a minority opinion does not make you wrong.
depends on the subject, for example, the majority think that dante, lady and trish didn't develop at all as characters in dmc4, and the minority for some reason think they did, where there is absolutely no reason for it -_-
The only problem is that it's not satire in DmC.
yes it is
http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/...-satire-it-is-a-reflection-of-our-times-17203
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/30/reimagining-evil-ninja-theory-on-dmcs-cultural-satire/
"It’s also anything but a po-faced critique of contemporary political and social institutions. The outrageously grotesque figures which Ninja Theory use to represent their chosen targets with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer make that perfectly clear. And that’s not a criticism. Sure, DmC’s brand of Hollywood Marxism isn’t what one might call sophisticated, but it’s not meant to be. Ninja Theory are being deliberately ostentatious, taking a pop at their targets in a playful way and maintaining a sense of awareness about the ridiculousness of their approach."
It actually takes it very seriously.
no it doesn't but if you get don't understand satire that's your problem not mine
Do you even know what the word satire means?
do you? because i have written several essays on satire -_- which have all received As -_-
It's to make fun of those sterotypical ideas/plots and what have you.
which is exactly what dmc does, if a monitor in a game saying "this drink increases sexual performance by 63%" isn't making fun of false advertisement to you then i don't think you know what making fun of something is
DmC does not make fun of it
yes it does
it actually makes people drink Virility
I don't remember NT representatives coming into my home and scarfing virility down my throat but i'm sorry if that happened to you
Dante is their savior smacking the can out of their hands.
which is making fun of people who do things like drinking excessive amounts of energy drinks and sodas
The whole friggin theme of the game is that Mundus (who is an influential banker/loanshark) is ruling over the demons and the humans. Virility is a demonic thing (evil).
which is a satire of modern life -_- and virility isn't the only thing keeping humans in line
This is not a satire, it's taken seriously, which is something satire never does.
taken seriously by people like you who don't know what satire is
Just like The Matrix isn't satire
because it isn't trying to be unlike DmC
as it doesn't make fun of the idea that the world is not what it seems. It actually takes it seriously.
which dmc does
keep your anime monologues out of posts please
And if you're still going on about Vergil having no motivation for doing what he did in DMC3, go play the ******* DMC games and pay attention! Also, buy an imagination while you're at it.
oh i'm sorry i must have missed the anime monologue in dmc1, cause the flashbacks about how he wanted chocolate definitely made him the most well developed character of all time, especially this dialogue from nelo angelo
"DERRRRRGGGGGGG" *raises hands to the sky and dies in a very similar way to the ganondorf clone in ocarina of time*
or this dialogue from dmc 3
"Why do you need more power anyway brother"
"I...NEED...MORE..POWER"
"-_- ok then"
I don't even know what you're saying there, as that doesn't seem to be a grammatically correct sentence.
welcome to planet earth, where there are humans who do things like making mistakes in writing especially in non-formal situations
Writing critics?
as in critics who review works of literature, hence the reason why there are awards given out for writing
Yes, critics usually write stuff.
yes they do because if you are going to critique something it usually means that you should have some experience in doing something at least similarly, just like stephen king critiquing stephanie meyer's works and basically calling them terrible
That's what they do.
yes it is
I don't even...
i do
I was talking about DMC's overall plot
k -_-
not some of the elements present in it.
so nitpicking without actually examining the several interwoven ideas that are present in the games plot
Stop bringing up InuYasha.
Sure, it's similar to InuYasha. So the F what?
oh so you're all allowed to constantly bitch about DmC not being original but if someone brings up inuyasha and how similar the old series was too it they need to shut up and stay in line huh -_-
Who said that wasn't inspired by western stories either?
the creator of the series!!
http://www.furinkan.com/takahashi/takahashi9.html
Yes, I was complaining about DmC's plot not being original.
but i shouldn't talk about the old games right -_- so its alright to bitch about faults in the new one but praise the old ones for having the exact same faults
Nor is DMC's, but at least it has a plot that's not braindead.
lol if kyrie isn't an example of a braindead damsel in distress i don't know what is, and the fact that half the characters especially the villains never actually develop is completely absurd
A plot that doesn't sound like it was made up by someone who lacks knowledge of the world
actually pretty sure that you have to be pretty smart to become a creative director of something -_-
or some sort of pot-smoking hippie.
as far as i know people at NT may or may not smoke pot but that doesn't make anyone a hippie if they do and its wrong to classify them as such
Maybe it would be more interesting to have you or Dante believe that people are being brainwashed
''no that wouldn't make any sense but there is a fanfiction section here if your desperate''
Why wouldn't that make sense? Don't you have an imagination?
yes which is why I go to an art university as an animation major
You know what, I'm not going to spell out for you how it would work, as that would just be lost on you.
sorry i don't care for fanfiction, usually people who write fanfiction think their version is indefinitely better than the actual version
Kind of sad.
like your post
If this is how it goes within game developing companies
have you actually ever been to a game development studio or actually talked to a game developer in person? because i have, and its not as stiff as the majority of you people seem to think especially not in western studios
it's not surprising DMC and DmC ended up with a mediocre plot.
no it didn't but your free to your opinion but don't act like its fact
Nobody's even willing to listen to interesting ideas.
sorry i don't find your fanfiction an interesting idea
I wonder if developers tell their employees to go to a fanfic thread too
by my knowledge, no, i haven't met any game developers who actually went to a fanfiction site or forum for story ideas

Like Supernatural has parodied: ''I don't have time for this sh**!''
then leave -_- and stop posting nonsense

AlchemistFromEden

ofcourse ninja theory would give you the not in a million years joke after all the crap they took and the trash talk from the fans do expect them to say oh thank you for insulting us while we make a game for you but i think its imature
its not immature to playfully make a nod to a classic character's old design, it is however very immature to blow it out of proportion and make entire threads about it cursing their existence which has happened multiple times already -__-

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
The only problem is that it's not satire in DmC. It actually takes it very seriously. Do you even know what the word satire means? It's to make fun of those sterotypical ideas/plots and what have you. DmC does not make fun of it, it actually makes people drink Virility, and Dante is their savior smacking the can out of their hands. The whole friggin theme of the game is that Mundus (who is an influential banker/loanshark) is ruling over the demons and the humans. Virility is a demonic thing (evil). This is not a satire, it's taken seriously, which is something satire never does. Just like The Matrix isn't satire, as it doesn't make fun of the idea that the world is not what it seems. It actually takes it seriously.

And if you're still going on about Vergil having no motivation for doing what he did in DMC3, go play the ******* DMC games and pay attention! Also, buy an imagination while you're at it.

I don't even know what you're saying there, as that doesn't seem to be a grammatically correct sentence. Writing critics? What? Yes, critics usually write stuff. That's what they do. I don't even...

I was talking about DMC's overall plot, not some of the elements present in it. Stop bringing up InuYasha. Sure, it's similar to InuYasha. So the F what? Who said that wasn't inspired by western stories either?

Yes, I was complaining about DmC's plot not being original. Nor is DMC's, but at least it has a plot that's not braindead. A plot that doesn't sound like it was made up by someone who lacks knowledge of the world, or some sort of pot-smoking hippie.

Why wouldn't that make sense? Don't you have an imagination? You know what, I'm not going to spell out for you how it would work, as that would just be lost on you. Kind of sad. If this is how it goes within game developing companies, it's not surprising DMC and DmC ended up with a mediocre plot. Nobody's even willing to listen to interesting ideas. I wonder if developers tell their employees to go to a fanfic thread too :p

Like Supernatural has parodied: ''I'm too old for this sh**!''

Uhm...Lionheart...It takes itself seriously only in the story it's telling, not explicitly in the themes it deals with. And by "taking itself seriously only in the story it's telling" I mean that it doesn't ruin the narrative at the expense of a random joke, or trying to make Dante cool by surfing on a missile or something. The jokes the narrative has are grounded in that narrative, and not simply things done specifically for humor's sake. They're contextual (and sometimes subtle), like the ingredients in Kat's spraypaint, or the brotherly ****ing contest near the end.

It only takes itself seriously because it tries to keep up a consistent narrative with a clear goal and tone, like any story should. However, satire is there in spades in what Dante and The Order are combating.

And if you really wanna get into what "satire" actually means, good ol' google does wonders.

google search "satire definition said:
sat·ire
noun /ˈsaˌtīr/ 
satires, plural
  1. The use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues
  2. A play, novel, film, or other work that uses satire
    • - a stinging satire on American politics
  3. A genre of literature characterized by the use of satire
  4. (in Latin literature) A literary miscellany, esp. a poem ridiculing prevalent vices or follies

Definition 1 says "the use of...irony, exaggeration...to expose and criticize...stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues."

DmC's ironic exaggerations of demons being responsible for society's ills like conspiracies of stuff in our food, nationalist propaganda on the airwaves, and interests in fleeting, sometimes self-destructive vices like sex, drugs, and booze, sure sounds a helluva lot like satire.

Hell, you yourself wrote pretty much the same definition, but then took it in some weird direction to prove your incorrect point.

Again...DmC is a satire of societal ills, Alex Jones has even been quoted as saying that "DmC pokes fun at societal ills." "Pokes fun," as in "makes fun of," as in "with a somewhat humorous context." It's a friggin' video game, and it was never NT's intention to try and triumph awareness or change in society with DmC. All they did was create a video game bad guy out of conspiracies and sociopolitical issues by giving them a fantastical and satirical bent.

In the end, it's all inspiration for something - in this case, the inspiration for a demonic overlord who rules with an iron fist is inspired by society's apathy, greed, and nutjob conspiracies, which inadvertently makes it somewhat relatable to others while making it believable that the evil things that happen in the world are the cause of a malevolent presence.

I know I thought it was interesting; I hate Bill O'Reily and the crap FOX News spews, I watched my house be taken away by a greedy bank (they didn't give my parents any time to save the house), and I hate a lot of the vapid fads that people so easily waste their lives on. DmC's story was okay with me because it made fun of things that I make fun of, while also being an interesting take on a franchise I know.

ZeroLove

its not immature to playfully make a nod to a classic character's old design, it is however very immature to blow it out of proportion and make entire threads about it cursing their existence which has happened multiple times already -__-

Though I find you overly defensive of DmC at times, throwing hate at haters in many a post... This is actually a reasonable response.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Most of what you wrote does not even apply to what I was saying.

''Uhm...Lionheart...It takes itself seriously only in the story it's telling,''

Yes, and the themes tie into that.

All I was saying is that DmC takes that stuff very seriously, and doesn't actually make a satire out of it. Bayonetta and DMC are satires. Doing a Shakespearean play very badly (like in DMC4) is satire. Bayonetta being the typical sexbomb woman, even going as far as to have lollipops around constantly, THAT's satire. I don't feel like explaining DmC is not satire again.
I realize how it works.

''DmC's ironic exaggerations of demons being responsible for society's ills like conspiracies of stuff in our food, nationalist propaganda on the airwaves, and interests in fleeting, sometimes self-destructive vices like sex, drugs, and booze, sure soundsa helluva lot like satire.''

Only it isn't. If it were, it would poke fun at it (usually debunking it), and I don't mean in a few cases like when Dante and Vergil don't listen to Mundus and all. In fact, that's exactly what makes it NOT a parody/satire. That they actually take it so seriously that they don't listen to Mundus when he spews all kinds of stuff. In actuality, the entire game is based around that idea, and the world (Limbo) actually IS brainwashed (kind of). If it were satire, it would turn out that's not the case.

I'm out of here, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom