• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Theories

fon

Crazy Chick
A thread was posted about IGN's analysis on the trailer and here's what my original post to that thread was gonna be:

My first reaction to them mentioning Dante's location (AREA CH-8) immediately made me grab my copy of "The Divine Comedy", as to me, CH= chapter. (this may not have anything to do with the book, but i'm putting this out anyway >.<"")
So I looked up chapter 8 and the place where Dante's fighting could be the City of Dis. I haven't actually read the book thoroughly so might get it wrong, but there is a mention of pinnacles/mosque seen by Dante, which could in fact be that large architecture seen at 0:21 in the trailer.
Also, the first statue(?) we see at 0:19 could be a fallen angel.

Off-topic: first post here. Hi :D

EDIT: Ok, argh. I forgot about the official picture where it says Limbo City Dx

Vampi

Limbo and Dis are two different things though. And i don't think this Limbo, Purgatory scenario is literal. They just want to name things from the Divine Comedia, that's it.

And that angel statue we see when the trailer starts, its wings does look like those towers.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Dunno if its been mentioned, but, the black hair maybe Dante blocking out something he inherited from his father.
You look in the mirror every morning and this reminder of a man who wasn't there to save your mother is staring back at you, surely you would do your best to hide it.

I was thinking about this when this line from DMC3 hit me and the hair thing kinda made sense...

Vergil: Why do you refuse to gain power? The power of our father Sparda?
Dante: Father? I don't have a father. I just don't like you, that's all.

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
^I love that line!

"unfortunately, our souls are at odds brother"

i like to think he is some weird man made experiment, made from Dante's cells which is why he only has a gray patch, but yours is a more reasonable idea :)

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
The whole hair dye scenerio sounds plausable, if NT played off his Dante's past and what not from the orginal series. No one could've saved their mother, his father could've but he went off to seal the underworld...leaving him to fend for himself. The white hair is a reminder of a failure and a core of hatred as well.

Dominus

Faustinasa;277025 said:
The whole hair dye scenerio sounds plausable, if NT played off his Dante's past and what not from the orginal series. No one could've saved their mother, his father could've but he went off to seal the underworld...leaving him to fend for himself. The white hair is a reminder of a failure and a core of hatred as well.

I'm sorry but that storyline is waaaay to high school drama for even this DmC.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Dominus;277053 said:
I'm sorry but that storyline is waaaay to high school drama for even this DmC.

This thread is about theories, there's no reason to say it won't work. Anything is possible at this point and we don't know anything about the game.

moseslmpg

Hair dye is a very implausible theory for a few reasons.
1. His hair was dyed as a young kid as seen during the captivity scenes. That's kind of complex for a child to do, not to mention dangerous.

2. When would he have time to dye his hair, eyebrows, and eyelashes? Presumably he is on the run. And why would he specifically miss a white patch on the top?

3. If he dyed his hair to get away from his memory of Sparda, then why isn't his hair dyed in the beginning of DMC3, when he still rejects Sparda?

Too many holes for it to be plausible.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
moseslmpg;277101 said:
Hair dye is a very implausible theory for a few reasons.
1. His hair was dyed as a young kid as seen during the captivity scenes. That's kind of complex for a child to do, not to mention dangerous.

2. When would he have time to dye his hair, eyebrows, and eyelashes? Presumably he is on the run. And why would he specifically miss a white patch on the top?

3. If he dyed his hair to get away from his memory of Sparda, then why isn't his hair dyed in the beginning of DMC3, when he still rejects Sparda?

Too many holes for it to be plausible.

These are just theories, hence the purpose of this thread. Instead of shooting them down with reasons why it can't work, why not input your theory or theories of your own to others to MAKE them work, or sound more realistic.

Meaning, take out what DOESN'T work, but replace it with YOUR idea that would. Don't take a theory apart and toss it off to the side...And we already discussed somewhere else that this is an ALTERNATE REALITY. Original canon DOES NOT apply here in this new DMC.

moseslmpg

I'm not applying the original canon, I'm just evaluating the theories. And the hair dye theory is very implausible. I know this is a theory thread, but we have to separate the wheat from the chaff as well.

My "theory" about the hair is that it is simply his natural hair color, and over time, it will fully turn white.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I really feel insulted...

You aren't supposed to question how Dante has time to dye his hair, because you aren't supposed to be that clever from a developers point of view.

How would Dante's Natural hair be black?
His mother was blonde and his dad was silver haired.
Perhaps it has been so long since he had dyed his hair that his roots are starting to show.
(Next theory i won't bother posting)

Meg

^ Agreed. Assuming he's on the run he probably died his hair before hand and then didn't have time to fix it once the roots started growing in because he's on the run. But even that is putting to much thought into it.

moseslmpg

Vergil'sB*tch;277150 said:
I really feel insulted...

You aren't supposed to question how Dante has time to dye his hair, because you aren't supposed to be that clever from a developers point of view.

How would Dante's Natural hair be black?
His mother was blonde and his dad was silver haired.
Perhaps it has been so long since he had dyed his hair that his roots are starting to show.
(Next theory i won't bother posting)
If we aren't supposed to be that clever, then his hair probably isn't dyed. If his hair is dyed, then they willmake explicit reference to that fact.

Dante's natural hair color would be black because one of his parents has black hair in this alternate world. Eva might not even be his mom in this.

And the roots idea doesn't really work, because he had the same hair when he was in the asylum and he is much younger there. And his hair doesn't only grow from the top of his head, so his white roots should be showing all over his head giving him a salt and pepper look. And there are also the eyebrows and eyelashes.

I don't see what he big deal is in just saying that is his natural hair color. I'm pretty sure it turns white later.

Meg

^ One question. How do you know he's much younger when he's all chained up?

Acedia

Dante Never Dies
^ He doesn't, it's an assumption. But I agree, he does look younger, a lot more childish, very petite arms.
OR He's being starved at another point of the game and he's the same age, just lack of nutrition.

People shouldn't be getting angry to why there theories don't work, when another shows them how it wouldn't.
They should acknowledge and try and counter and back up "how" their theory could work.

It's like me making a theory that Dante is really a undercover cop, and the trailer makes it look like he's bad.
-- Well, why would the government torture their own cops?

^Not a very good example, but people shouldn't get angry.
Turn your half-ideas into full thought theories and back them up!
Don't be afraid to post more theories!

moseslmpg

meg127;277158 said:
^ One question. How do you know he's much younger when he's all chained up?
He looks much younger in his build and his face.

It isn't any more of an assumption that looking at a 10 year old and looking at a 20 year old and saying the former is younger than the latter. Like I said, I have been through frame by frame.

The only way it could be wrong is that they beat him up and his face is swollen, and his head somehow got smaller, and they somehow made his arms thinner.

Meg

^ I understand. I didn't get the sense that he was younger though. Just beat up and tortured. Its a good idea though. How can we apply this to the timeline? Like how much time has passed and what happened in that time.

Acedia

Dante Never Dies
^^ You can't really just say he's younger.
Look at his shirt, you think he's been wearing a wifebeater for 10 years?
He could be younger, or just tortured. That's what it comes down too, really.

^ We still wouldn't know, because if he's not younger when he's held captive, then it's just a random estimate.
But if he is younger, I suppose he's gotten out, and seeking revenge years later. That IS if he's younger when held captive. Even that is just a wild assumption though.

EDIT: ANOTHER WILD THEORY, MAYBE THE JACKET GIVES HIM POWER, BECAUSE HE'S APPARENTLY USELESS WHEN HELD CAPTIVE WITHOUT IT! I realize it didn't need caps, but it was funny to me. :)

moseslmpg

People don't look younger when they are tortured.

If you want photo proof I will provide it, but it is apparent that the captive Dino is much younger than the other one. There's really no reason to argue against that, anymore than there is to argue against his hair being black or his eyes being red.

I think the theories will go much better if we all assume that he is older and has escaped the facility. The dual world, Purgaory/Limbo stuff is baseless.

Edit: Please stop saying things like "wild assumption" and "random estimate." These are based on evidence, if not proof, in the trailer itself. It isn't like I'm saying Dino is a space alien hamster. That would be a wild assumption because it has no basis.

Top Bottom