• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Theories

Vampi

DanteSparda504: LOL i had that same theory as well. And also the voice at the end of the trailer that says "My name is Dante" doesn't sound anything like Dan Southworth. Dan has a more nasally voice.

moseslmpg

RE4 wasn't a reboot at all. They didn't change the story. It was just a genre shift. In a reboot, the story or some aspect has to be changed or else it is just a prequel or sequel.

Anyway, I've heard the theory before but it seems even more damning than it being Dante. First of all, like you say, this guy is too young. He doesn't look like Vergil, or sound like him, and there is really no reason for him to be Vergil. One would wonder where he got twin guns that are light and dark, and why he even thinks he's Dante in the first place.

This guy probably is the new Dante, or someone who is pretending to be until we meet the real one.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
This game has nothing to do with the others. So far it's just a standalone. It is it's own thing, with character elements (again, so far) borrowed from the original games, but it has nothing to do with them. That's why I've come to accept it.

Asmodaius

After having seen through the trailer a couple of times, I noticed that he has some white streaks in his hair, something I hadn't noticed before.

So my theory is that this is could be a young Dante who has yet to realize who he really is, before DMC3, and that perhaps his hair is underway to change to all white.

I base this theory on other myths in popular culture, such as Marvel's mutants. Most mutants' powers activates in their early teens or can be forced forth due to some traumatic experience. Perhaps Dante is somewhat alike - his superhuman powers and demonic heritage has just recently awoken inside of him and thus he is slowly changing into the Dante we know from past games, as with his hair slowly changing from black to all white.

Just a thought. I wouldn't be disappointed if it was just a design choice, because I think it looks cool - a little reference to his past incarnations. I guess we'll just have to see. ^^

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
Asmodaius;274522 said:
After having seen through the trailer a couple of times, I noticed that he has some white streaks in his hair, something I hadn't noticed before.

So my theory is that this is could be a young Dante who has yet to realize who he really is, before DMC3, and that perhaps his hair is underway to change to all white.

I base this theory on other myths in popular culture, such as Marvel's mutants. Most mutants' powers activates in their early teens or can be forced forth due to some traumatic experience. Perhaps Dante is somewhat alike - his superhuman powers and demonic heritage has just recently awoken inside of him and thus he is slowly changing into the Dante we know from past games, as with his hair slowly changing from black to all white.

Just a thought. I wouldn't be disappointed if it was just a design choice, because I think it looks cool - a little reference to his past incarnations. I guess we'll just have to see. ^^

i like the idea of him not realizing who he is...i also think that maybe he was trying to not look suspicious and dyed his hair black and his roots have just recently grown out

moseslmpg

This is a reboot, not a prequel. Dino is already older than Dante in DMC3.

And anyway, if he didn't know who he was he would have no reason to hide his identity. Meaning he wouldn't dye his hair, and conspicuously miss the top.

And as for the Marvel comics thing, we know from DMC1 that, even as a child, he had powers.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
did u even read my post? i said i like that theory..and then i also like my own...i didn't say they were related in anyway..i said they were similar.....and i can easily rebuke what you said about him having powers as a child.....his mother died....when children go through traumatic experiences they tend to block memories....memories including abilities...he could've easily forgotten

moseslmpg

I wasn't talking to you. But none of what you said is relevant, since this is a REBOOT.

You can try to rationalize things as much as you want, but unless you take the reboot status into account, it doesn't matter.

Kittn

Dante's Lapcat
It feels like some of the really important little things are being over looked in some of these theories. So knowing that I can't do anything about this game being what it is, I started thinking about the alternate world and timeline and stuff.

Well, seems to me that alternate world is ours.
He has a UK flag on his sleeve is what stands out to me. Ties the game to the real world in a way the other games never did. Yeah we had suggestions of NYC architecture or stuff like that, but never something specific.

So an alternate timeline in the real world. Devil May Cry for the real world? Where to go with that... taking everything we know about Devil May Cry off the table. Starting fresh:

Black haired brit-punk kid named Dante. (There's police reports with the name on it in the trailer, so seems that's really his name, not pretending.) He's your typical 'victim of society' teen. Looks like a meth addict cause he is one. Acts cruel because he's pretty much just a thug. Until he does somethin to get himself locked up.

Some scientists get ahold of him in rehab. Decide to do experiments with demon dna on this kid. The white roots aren't a bad dye job wearing off but his hair changing because of his new dna. And they go about shaping him up for whatever purpose they created him for. His name is Dante but he has nothing at all to do with our devil may cry.

It's kind of... weird. It'd make a better movie than a game IMO, because even if my theory has some truth to it, it's still a typical 'bad boy' teenage protagonist and I'm just not interested in playing that. There were tons of others that pulled that off without having to play into stereotypical rubbish. It'd interest me more if he weren't the victim of society before becoming a victim of scientific research.

And? He's ugly. :lol:
That was my shallow statement for the evening. I'll be good now. But there's a theory to consider.

@Gambit: Check Capcom unity forums. The staffers have said it is a reboot. It is official. I don't feel like getting caught up in the madness over there right now to find those specific posts. Snow is the one who posted it first, I believe.

moseslmpg

That sounds like a pretty good theory, Kittn. Capcom are really doing themselves a disservice by not releasing any more info. They are going to have to do a lot of damage control.

Acedia

Dante Never Dies
Theory = Reboot
Dante is a punk "Brit" kid. He has "problems" such as fighting an imaginary foe that could be recalled as "demons". One of those things that Dante only sees when he's alone. (Assuming he has friends and isn't ALWAYS alone.) As pointed out it looks like he's in the UK, due to his sleeve on the jacket. Most of the things from the old Dante have been removed. Old Dante and New Dante have nothing in common for the most part. Maybe moving a few traits and easter eggs over. Moving on, I guess he hasn't been recognized by the government or whatever the higher order is. An orphan when he was younger, has no family. And I sadly regret to say, most likely no twin brother.

Not a very strong theory, if considered one.
But I'd like to point out that, when the new Dante says. "My name is Dante." And falls of the ledge, you can see that when the camera view points up, something is chasing him. A blue "body" of some sort.

The new Dante shows that he is experiencing pain through, trying to remember something or trying to hide something.
This could be some sort of awakening like the one in DMC3.
If pushed far enough, something dramatic will happen.

Past that, I'm just rambling.

PS- He doesn't have the iconic half-amulet around his neck, another pro for a clear reboot.

moseslmpg

VirgilTheart;275434 said:
That's apparently the official description of DmC. As some of us are aware, there is a hint of the game's plot in the quote.

The promises of a trusted relation? Going to guess that is Vergil. Even though DmC IS indeed a reboot, certain elements to the plot like Vergil are most likely going to show up. Not to mention he's quite a popular character.

Anyways, the following is my theory; This story is the reboot's story of "Dante"'s origins. Vergil sets things up for the demonic power within Dante to start awakening (hence the silver/white hair in the back) AKA; Dante will eventually be completely white-haired before the game is done (it's hinted briefly with the following image that flashed on the screen the first time the voice asks "What is your name?"

vfxiwx.jpg

On top of that, Vergil ALSO has Dante get sent to the mental hospital, to get him ****ed and break out to go after Vergil (only for it suit some sort of plan Vergil has)

The massive headache(s) he gets in the trailer? Progression of the demonic powers could possibly one heck of a bit(ch to have. ;)

Anyways, as for the smoking and more violent than the original Dante, it's my hope that hopefully the game will also contain massive character development.

... *looks at the crowd* Thoughts, folks? *puts on bulletproof vest for safety* :)
I don't think this is a very compelling theory. It doesn't really explain anything to us except that Vergil might be a bad guy again.

Manny had the idea that Sparda is probably the bad guy, because in Western games dads tend to be evil.

Vampi

What is the point of this thread if no one is even using it?

There's threads popping up with just the thread creator's theory only.

Awesome

Vergil'sB*tch;273916 said:
i thought about the end of DMC where Dante says to mundus, say hi to my grandson (if it's wrong please correct me)
Maybe he is a descendant of Dante.
Or maybe he IS Dante and this is the western take on redesigning the whole shebang.

OR
Maybe Dante is actually Tony Redgrave and they've made the first novel into a game.
Hence why Dante is being called a specimen and why they ask him his name.

Dante: Goodbye, and when you do come back give my regards to my son, will ya?

Meg

darkslayer101;275501 said:
when can we expect new info about DmC?

No idea. Not for a little while at least. With all the big games coming out at the end of the year Capcom isn't going to want to try and compete for spotlight.

Top Bottom